Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Big Lottery Fund

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Woo Last Posting!!
    You're the one avoiding the question.
  • Options
    Rich Kid, you are claiming that most of the money is going to asylum seeker groups and 'left wing civil liberties groups' yet you cant actually even name one.

As for 'democracy' in who the money goes to, like what? How could that possibly work?
  • Options
    Bonga, I haven't got the time to do a lot of research but here are a few "deserving" organisations:

Asylum Aid
    Dynamo Dykes Lesbian Volleyball Club.
    Nicaragua Solidarity Camapign
    Tamil Action Support Committee
    Kurdish Housing Association
    Islington Zairean Refugee Group
    Igede-Ekiti Descendants Union UK
    Uganda Communal Parenting Arena
    Association of Blind Asians

What would the great British public say about supporting the above and all the others? I'm not making a moral judgement on the above's suitablity, I'm simply saying the great British public are denied any involvement in the process - and in my view they should be involved.

Now, I look forward to your answer to my questions bonga.
  • Options
    If you don't want your money going to certain groups don't buy a lottery ticket and use the money you save to give direct to your favourite charities.

Simple, really.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    What would the great British public say about supporting the above and all the others? I'm not making a moral judgement on the above's suitablity, I'm simply saying the great British public are denied any involvement in the process - and in my view they should be involved.

Now, I look forward to your answer to my questions bonga.

A source for that? And rough figures as to how much they gained?

As for your question about introducing 'democracy' into the process, I asked how? How could you possibly do it?
  • Options
    bonga, you're advoiding my questions, which wer simply questions about "principle" not methodology.
    Would you be kind enough to respond as I did to yours.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    bonga, you're advoiding my questions, which wer simply questions about "principle" not methodology.
    Would you be kind enough to respond as I did to yours.

Well, whats the point in discussing a 'principle' if you have no idea how to impliment it?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Well, whats the point in discussing a 'principle' if you have no idea how to impliment it?
    Avoiding the question again. When you've answered we can discuss implementation.
  • Options
    You introduced specifics into the debate, only mentioning principle when backed into a corner.
  • Options
    So whats your "in principle" answer?
  • Options
    do Camelot have to give that money to anyone anyway?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    So whats your "in principle" answer?

First provide evidence for your assertions.
  • Options
    You are obviously not going to respond to my questions - perhaps we should have a thread devoted to "answers not given to RK's sensible questions" - or there again, it'd be too long.

The residents of a Cheshire village applied for lottery funding to help them rebuild their old village hall, the centre of their community. Of course this sensible application was turned down because "it did not meet in a significant way any of our published priorities."

When asked what this meant, they were told, "it did not cater for enough asylum seekers, refugees, or people from ethnic minorities."

This is why the great British public need to get involved, left to quango's it simply sinks into the slime of Political Correctness.
  • Options
    We'd like evidence, not bollocks you've made up.
  • Options
    Untill you actually come up with a source for that I'm going to assume YOU ARE TALKING OUT OF YOUR ARSE.

As for adding 'democracy' into the process, maybe getting more local people to apply for local grants would be a good idea. Or more widely broadcasting what charities they help.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    We'd like evidence, not bollocks you've made up.
    Just because you don't keep uo on news events as I do doesn't mean that I'm going to your news-nanny.

Heres another one for you.

In January this year a life-boat crew in Upton-upon-Severn, Worcs, was refused £5,000 for a new Land Rover because "it didn't save enough people from ethnic minorities, asylum seekers, or refugees."

Political Correctness or what???? Its time the great British public had a say in who gets what.
  • Options
    Can you reference that please.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    In January this year a life-boat crew in Upton-upon-Severn, Worcs, was refused £5,000 for a new Land Rover because "it didn't save enough people from ethnic minorities, asylum seekers, or refugees."

You cant even make up quotes properly, save people from ethnic minorities?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    You are obviously not going to respond to my questions - perhaps we should have a thread devoted to "answers not given to RK's sensible questions" - or there again, it'd be too long.

The residents of a Cheshire village applied for lottery funding to help them rebuild their old village hall, the centre of their community. Of course this sensible application was turned down because "it did not meet in a significant way any of our published priorities."

When asked what this meant, they were told, "it did not cater for enough asylum seekers, refugees, or people from ethnic minorities."

This is why the great British public need to get involved, left to quango's it simply sinks into the slime of Political Correctness.

Can you reference that please.
  • Options
    I've just been filling out an application for lottery fund money for the organisation I work for. We have nothing in particular to do with ethnic minorities, asylum seekers, refugees or the Black Lesbian Single Mums With Gender Issues PC Society* - but we've every chance of success. A group working in roughly the same field as us got a fair-sized grant last year - despite the fact that their proposal (which I've read) was couched exclusively in terms of local history and referenced none of the above 'target' groups.

In other words, Rich Kid's talking nonsense, as per usual.

*TM Daily Mail
  • Options
    Faking quotes destroys an hope of a real debate - I'd like to see sources or I'm getting the toaster out...
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

I've just had the whole office looking at me as i genuinely laughed out loud at this post.

I wonder if they hired a few "ethnic minorities" to periodically jump into the sea then they'd get the funding they needed?

I don't think that even "The Sword of Truth" would print something that was so obviously a lie.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    I've just been filling out an application for lottery fund money for the organisation I work for. We have nothing in particular to do with ethnic minorities, asylum seekers, refugees or the Black Lesbian Single Mums With Gender Issues PC Society* - but we've every chance of success. A group working in roughly the same field as us got a fair-sized grant last year - despite the fact that their proposal (which I've read) was couched exclusively in terms of local history and referenced none of the above 'target' groups.

In other words, Rich Kid's talking nonsense, as per usual.

*TM Daily Mail
    I think you should take a look at this link, it confirms what I've said, so an apology wouldn't go amiss.

http://www.c-f.org.uk/about-us/our-grants-programmes/strategic-grants/strategic-grants-priority-information.html
  • Options
    I've just had the whole office looking at me as i genuinely laughed out loud at this post.

I wonder if they hired a few "ethnic minorities" to periodically jump into the sea then they'd get the funding they needed?

I don't think that even "The Sword of Truth" would print something that was so obviously a lie.
    Eat your words Cap'n, its in todays Sword of Truth.
  • Options
    We have identified particular priority beneficiary groups for funding under this programme. These are: 1. Children and young people 2. Older people and their carers 3. Disabled people (including people with physical impairments, mental health problems and learning difficulties) and their carers 4. Black and minority ethnic communities 5. Refugees and asylum-seekers 6. People living in areas disadvantaged by social and economic change.

Says the website, what part of that dont you like?
  • Options
    Let the people decide, we live in a democracy don't we?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I think you should take a look at this link, it confirms what I've said, so an apology wouldn't go amiss.

http://www.c-f.org.uk/about-us/our-grants-programmes/strategic-grants/strategic-grants-priority-information.html

That's the community fund - one of several grant-awarding funds which dispense lottery money, each of which has different funding priorities.

Secondly, from your link I quote:
    We have identified particular priority beneficiary groups for funding under this programme. These are: 1. Children and young people 2. Older people and their carers 3. Disabled people (including people with physical impairments, mental health problems and learning difficulties) and their carers 4. Black and minority ethnic communities 5. Refugees and asylum-seekers 6. People living in areas disadvantaged by social and economic change.

Only two of the six groups are specifically to do with refugees, asylum seekers and ethnic minorities, and between them they cover people of all backgrounds and ethnic groups.

In other words, you seem to be assuming that because the site happens to mention refugees, ethnic minorities and asylum seekers, that's all they're interested in funding - which is, needless to say, completely wrong.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

No it doesn't. It identifies 6 groups, which include BMEs and Asylum seekers. As its part of the programme aimed at the most disadvantaged that seems fair.

If a lifeboat fund applied to them for funding they weren't going to get it, the same as Black Single Lesbian Mothers is not going to get any funding from a grant source which aims to fund safety at sea.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Let the people decide, we live in a democracy don't we?

Well the rest of us 'people' here dont have an issue with it, I'm asking you, who started this thread and obviously have an issue with it.

What part of the list of 6 dont you like?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Eat your words Cap'n, its in todays Sword of Truth.

You're just proving further what a worthless rag it is.

I read a cracking story in "The Distortion of the Truth" about how an asylum seeker ran over a lady. Now if she'd got run over by anyone other than an asylum seeker do you think it would have made it into the national press? The Daily "Hate" Mail would make me laugh if i didn't think that people believed its distortions and lies.