Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

God Bless America!

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    NQA wrote:
    To be honest after living in both the military and civilian worlds the truth is not that the army is full of people who can't hack it in civilian life, but the civilian world is full of people who couldn't hack it in the army.

Theres a fair bit of evidence that many soldiers struggle in civilian life - many homeless ex-soldiers and a fair number with alcohol problems too.

I am delighted that our society is "full" of people who aren't at all keen on becoming cannon fodder.

:yes:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Only soldiers who have had harrowing Combat experience usually have trouble adapting back into society. E.g: Nightmares, Paranoia, etc.

Average Joe Soldier is ok, usually. Vietnam was bad for the above, because it was a guerilla war, and therefore they were under attack at any time, any place. You were never safe. Not good for the mind, that.
  • Options
    Theres a fair bit of evidence that many soldiers struggle in civilian life - many homeless ex-soldiers and a fair number with alcohol problems too.

I am delighted that our society is "full" of people who aren't at all keen on becoming cannon fodder.

:yes:

Yep, but they are still the minority of ex-soldiers. Some would have problems in both civilian and military life. Some have problems due to what they saw during their military service (soldiers are more likely to see nasty scenes than most civilians - so they are more likely to have PTSD). Third, at least some of the rough sleepers claiming to be veterans aren't - but are trying to get sympathy.

And your views of soldiers as cannon fodder is slightly out of date
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Only soldiers who have had harrowing Combat experience usually have trouble adapting back into society. E.g: Nightmares, Paranoia, etc.

Average Joe Soldier is ok, usually. Vietnam was bad for the above, because it was a guerilla war, and therefore they were under attack at any time, any place. You were never safe. Not good for the mind, that.

That's not true. Up to a quarter of ex-service people end up homeless, according to an article in the guardian last week.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    That's not true. Up to a quarter of ex-service people end up homeless, according to an article in the guardian last week.
    yes i was reading that ...a lot also end up as doormen in her maj's nicks.
    which often leads to alcoholism due to the sheer tedium of the job.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Well all I can say is that not my experience. Also there is a difference between rough sleepers and people being homeless.

A lot of people are 'homeless' because they don't have secure accomodation, for example if your lease runs out in 28 days you are homeless, you can live with your parents and be homeless. Lots of ex-servicemen fall into those categories.

That said if you are saying the housing provision for people coming out of the armed services is a disgrace I'd agree with you. That's not because soldiers cannot exist in the 'real' world though, more because housing in the UK is in crisis
  • Options
  • Options
    Do you want me to say that ex-servicemen are treated like shit? Because they are. Come to that serving personell are treated like baby killers by some sections of society as well

My point is that people in the armed services don't join the armed services because they can't hack it in civilian life. There's a multitude of reasons why there is homelessness amongst ex-servicemen, PTSD, LAs refusing to accept people who aren't local (though the Homelessness Act 2002 has reduced, but not eliminated that problem), being in your early twenties without a job.

Or is your suggestion that ex-servicemen are homeless because they're incompetent or useless?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    My point is that people in the armed services don't join the armed services because they can't hack it in civilian life.

I didn't say that they did.
    NQA wrote:
    There's a multitude of reasons why there is homelessness amongst ex-servicemen, PTSD, LAs refusing to accept people who aren't local (though the Homelessness Act 2002 has reduced, but not eliminated that problem), being in your early twenties without a job.

Lots of ex-servicemen have been institutionalised and can't cope without the structures of the armed forces around them.
    NQA wrote:
    Or is your suggestion that ex-servicemen are homeless because they're incompetent or useless?

No that's not what I'm saying at all. Try reading more carefully.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Lots of ex-servicemen have been institutionalised and can't cope without the structures of the armed forces around them.

this is the lot i feel sorry for...i think they naively bought into the shit...found out the truth and have gone so far they can't come back...i haven't been to that stage but i can emphatize a lot for their situation....