Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

God Bless America!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Then what, have a policeman handcuffed to a poor teenager with a gun against her head checking her every action doesn't harm the unborn child? Or just forced sterilisation? Worked for the nazis
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Amnesty International, groups like that help out...

Why are you a political activist for the Democrats? They're just as bad as the Republicans...they support the war in iraq, the war on drugs...it's like Labour and the Conservatives over here in the UK...some differences in policy but you know that, in reality, you're going to get pretty much more of the same.

If you're seriously against the war...then that's at least a start...educate yourself about your country's foreign policy...and you'll see the blantant self-interest which disregards life without the slightest procrastination.

I think it's totally rude of you to assume that I'm not educated, by the way I've already joined amnesty international..... just went to my second meeting last month... Still learning everything about what they do.

I seriously wish you would stop insulting my intelligence - I don't do that to you or to anyone else, it's totally uncalled for!
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Then what, have a policeman handcuffed to a poor teenager with a gun against her head checking her every action doesn't harm the unborn child? Or just forced sterilisation? Worked for the nazis

blah, blah, blah :banghead: Yeah, lets all be Nazis - That's exactly what I'm saying - come on - this is just getting to be too much!
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    I think it's totally rude of you to assume that I'm not educated, by the way I've already joined amnesty international..... just went to my second meeting last month... Still learning everything about what they do.

I seriously wish you would stop insulting my intelligence - I don't do that to you or to anyone else, it's totally uncalled for!

I'm not insulting your intelligence...where have I insulted your intelligence? You take offense far too easily. I'm just saying you should read up on the terrorism your own country perpetuates through foreign policy, gain a wider understanding of your country...because, to be honest, your "national pride" is misplaced.
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    Oh PLEASE! I don't really even think that drug users should be punished - I'm saying that our prisons are over crowed with drug users - if my country insists on punishing drug users - they should go to rehab not jail.
    I used to occasionally do drugs, I don't anymore, personal choice (that and I'm in law enforcement and they do drug tests), I don't think there is really anything wrong with recreational drug use.

do you just enjoy arguing or what?

Well, you did say, "In my opinion rehab is the place for drug users" :confused:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jim V wrote:
    American's can't invade anyone before America exsisted

Was what I was thinking. I know it was European settlers who did it, but either way, it is the basis of theri country. It is founded on annihilation of another race so they could have their land.

Perhaps thats why they support Israel? If Israel's government had its way, the entire middle east would belong to it. :/

Stalin was a killer, granted, but there have been plenty out there. Stalin just killed a few more that the others. Also, alot are blamed on him which are honestly not related. Does he have control when a harvest fails? Would you have blamed the Leader of your country for that? So in America, a harvest fails. Is it Bushs fault?

It also depends which model you work: For Percentage of the country? Pol Pot wins. Generally? Mao wins, 100 Million dead, I thought? Often though, people don't includethe Russian War Dead (20 million) in Hitlers tally. Surley though, his soldiers were killing them? :/ Make your own mind up.

Note: I am not defending Stalin's madder years... And lets not forget, sometihng like only 30% of Russians think he was a bad leader. He did, besides killing a good few million, bring the county into the Modern age, he adanced it many years in a compartivley short space of time. All of a sudden it was nearly at the head of Military tech, just behind the Nazi's.

Apparently, some sources reakon Nero was the worst ever killer in history.

He was also Time Magazine "Man of the Year". Twice. Once for signing the peace pact with Hitler, the Second for Invading Germany. :confused: How odd.
  • Options
    Sorry Mushy, I'm not calling you a nazi, I'm just curious as to how you impose a certain number of abortions? It's the ramifications of setting limits without examining the specifics of individuals that raise questions about how reasonable such a response would be.
  • Options
    The first ever computer was built in the UK... And how is Christmas American?

I didn't say computer, I said personal computer. Do you think that if it wasn't for America you would be sitting in front of your PC right now? America is an industry giant; they excel at making things practical. Britons excel at concepts, we've come up with tonnes of wacky inventions.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Rich Kid - Cold War was a tech race. USSR had the best tech when it ended.

It wasn't just a tech race, it was a competition to see who was the best. Whether or not the USSR had the best technology they collapsed. Any historian in the world will tell you the USA won the cold war. I'm not pro American by any standards but saying the USSR won is ludicrous.
  • Options
    did the USSR not exagerate the size of it's arsenal...i was told the USSR deliberately put shows of force on but in reality most of the "show" was just cardboard cut outs...it just gave the impression they were an equal force...could be wrong though?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    did the USSR not exagerate the size of it's arsenal...i was told the USSR deliberately put shows of force on but in reality most of the "show" was just cardboard cut outs...it just gave the impression they were an equal force...could be wrong though?

There was this thing (maybe it still goes on?) called the may day parade in which a load of tanks, soldiers, ICBM launchers and all sorts drove past Stalin's little box, a complete flexing of their muscles. I don't know about card board cut outs, but indeed, it was a show of force, they got all their best technology, best drilled troops and marched them up and down, whereas a lot of the Russian soldiers who worked the bog standard jobs were demoralised, unpatriotic and poorly trained. The USSR was practically a nation run by propaganda, I advice you to watch Enemy At The Gates sometime, if you ignore the main plotline, it does reveal the kind of soldiering and attitudes the average soldier had. Either die by the enemies bullets or by your allies.
  • Options
    There was this thing (maybe it still goes on?) called the may day parade in which a load of tanks, soldiers, ICBM launchers and all sorts drove past Stalin's little box, a complete flexing of their muscles. I don't know about card board cut outs, but indeed, it was a show of force, they got all their best technology, best drilled troops and marched them up and down, whereas a lot of the Russian soldiers who worked the bog standard jobs were demoralised, unpatriotic and poorly trained. The USSR was practically a nation run by propaganda, I advice you to watch Enemy At The Gates sometime, if you ignore the main plotline, it does reveal the kind of soldiering and attitudes the average soldier had. Either die by the enemies bullets or by your allies.

yea it does show what the craic was back then...sure at the start they didn't even have enough guns so they just sent them out anyway and if you were lucky you'd find a dead mans gun...main plot is pretty good aswell...
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Well, you did say, "In my opinion rehab is the place for drug users" :confused:

Okay - let me clear this up - because we insist on punishing drug users I think they should go to rehab and not jail. If it were up to me it wouldn't be punished at all.

Though - I am talking about recreational drug use, I think that people who get really deep into drug use, should seek help - but I still don't even think they should be forced into rehab.

Clear things up?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I'm not insulting your intelligence...where have I insulted your intelligence? You take offense far too easily. I'm just saying you should read up on the terrorism your own country perpetuates through foreign policy, gain a wider understanding of your country...because, to be honest, your "national pride" is misplaced.

Again, with the taking offense far to easily - I'm not offended, I'm annoyed. I am just wondering why you think I don't know the facts. I know the facts, I take what I know and I come up with my own opinions. I am seriously wondering, what makes you think that I don't know the facts? Is it because I don't share your opinions? You and I could probably read the same exact article, and come up with two totally different opinions. I'm not assuming you are not educated because you don't share MY opinion - that would be ignorant.
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    Again, with the taking offense far to easily - I'm not offended, I'm annoyed. I am just wondering why you think I don't know the facts. I know the facts, I take what I know and I come up with my own opinions. I am seriously wondering, what makes you think that I don't know the facts? Is it because I don't share your opinions? You and I could probably read the same exact article, and come up with two totally different opinions. I'm not assuming you are not educated because you don't share MY opinion - that would be ignorant.

i don't want to sound pretentious and arrogant (which i know i do) but i think if you look at facts from a total neutral position you'll easily come to the conclusion that america's foreign policy is one big sham and a lie and if you don't come to that conclusion you're obviously being hindered some way, nationalism usually...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    i don't want to sound pretentious and arrogant (which i know i do) but i think if you look at facts from a total neutral position you'll easily come to the conclusion that america's foreign policy is one big sham and a lie and if you don't come to that conclusion you're obviously being hindered some way, nationalism usually...

What? Have you read anything else on here did you just jump on and look at the last two thing written and come to that conclusion?
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    What? Have you read anything else on here did you just jump on and look at the last two thing written and come to that conclusion?

what on this thread...i think i read it yesterday...forget what it's about...some silly rich boy talking about how great america is i think...yes it was in reply to the last two things written...whats your point anyway???
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    what on this thread...i think i read it yesterday...forget what it's about...some silly rich boy talking about how great america is i think...yes it was in reply to the last two things written...whats your point anyway???

That I've been hindered in some way? How can you say that if you don't even know what it is that I've said?
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    That I've been hindered in some way? How can you say that if you don't even know what it is that I've said?

well enlighten me briefly on why you've not been hindered and why US foreign policy is sooo super :)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    well enlighten me briefly on why you've not been hindered and why US foreign policy is sooo super :)

Well, I haven't said that the US foregin policy is "so super"! I don't think it is! Go back about 2 or 3 pages, someone asked me somthing about my beliefs because they said they didn't know much about Americans - so I posted about a page of what I thought and no where in there did I say that I liked the US foregin policy.
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    Well, I haven't said that the US foregin policy is "so super"! I don't think it is! Go back about 2 or 3 pages, someone asked me somthing about my beliefs because they said they didn't know much about Americans - so I posted about a page of what I thought and no where in there did I say that I liked the US foregin policy.

but you did defend it...howl on there i'll check now for what you said :)
  • Options
    sorry read now what you said...yea i know where you're coming from giving help to the soldiers even though they shouldn't be there, i do feel sorry for them soldiers being put out at the front line by something thats way out of their league, but i don't think that reason alone is sufficient alone in supporting the military...there really is a lot of corruption going on and i think there are better ways of solving the situation than simply saying "ah well...nothing i can do about it now...might aswell support the war effort" achieving these solutions is the tricky part, though saying that i suppose your heart is in the rght place so fair play to ya....
  • Options
    thanks, but let me just stress that IN NO WAY am I supporting the war effort. I support the poor kids who are there. It's really sad, about 4 days ago my bf found out that a kid he went to high school with died in Iraq. A few weeks before that it was someone from my church..... this war is a terrible thing! I support the troops, not the war!
  • Options
    i appreciate the sentiment...why in modernised countries is there no widespread spirit or heart to change things..i mean look at kygystan now...the people have risen....there's 300 million in america...a huge rising would be brilliant...maybe then you could bring the boys home...
  • Options
    If Israel's government had its way, the entire middle east would belong to it. :/

Shut up, you really have no idea at all.
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    thanks, but let me just stress that IN NO WAY am I supporting the war effort. I support the poor kids who are there. It's really sad, about 4 days ago my bf found out that a kid he went to high school with died in Iraq. A few weeks before that it was someone from my church..... this war is a terrible thing! I support the troops, not the war!

Upper class rich people decide to go to war. Working class people with no career prospects join the army and fight for their country. Hardly seems fair :no:
  • Options
    i mean look at kygystan now...the people have risen

Ah Kygystan, the latest example of the power of behind the scenes financing and manipulation by the CIA to consolidate made-for-tv uprisings for the media to announce as "widespread" and "indicative of popular support" for 'pro-western' candidates waiting in the wings to do Washington's bidding (and hand over the much sought after natural resources to our avaricious oil producers) once their inevitable elections can be rigged as well.

Amazing how the mainstream media never so much as asks who is behind these sudden uprisings. Mustn't mention CIA of course, that might require actual investigative journalistic effort to expose how most of the grand chessgame is being conducted in the absence of full scale invasions.

*Sigh*
  • Options
    Upper class rich people decide to go to war. Working class people with no career prospects join the army and fight for their country. Hardly seems fair :no:

Its not fair, but in the British Army, at least not entirely accurate. Many of those with skilled trades would be an asset to any civilian company (and the armed forces struggle to keep them from being poached by civvie firms who pay more and allow them regular hours). And soldiers who stick with the army long enough as senior NCOs are often skilled in man- management and dealing with organisational/administrative tasks.

The British Army also has a long tradition of upper and middle class officers.

Both Prince Charles and Prince Andrew served in the RN (Andrew in a combat zone) - you can hardly get more upper class than royalty. Duke of Westminster also served in the TA.

To be honest after living in both the military and civilian worlds the truth is not that the army is full of people who can't hack it in civilian life, but the civilian world is full of people who couldn't hack it in the army.
  • Options
    Ah Kygystan, the latest example of the power of behind the scenes financing and manipulation by the CIA to consolidate made-for-tv uprisings for the media to announce as "widespread" and "indicative of popular support" for 'pro-western' candidates waiting in the wings to do Washington's bidding (and hand over the much sought after natural resources to our avaricious oil producers) once their inevitable elections can be rigged as well.

Amazing how the mainstream media never so much as asks who is behind these sudden uprisings. Mustn't mention CIA of course, that might require actual investigative journalistic effort to expose how most of the grand chessgame is being conducted in the absence of full scale invasions.

*Sigh*

i know rightly the whole scene behind it all...was just trying to get a rise from mushy thats all...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    ...was just trying to get a rise from mushy thats all...

Ha Ha Ha Ha :)