Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

child vegans are 'unethical'

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    That might show you what are the natural animals for humans to eat then. maybe we should be sticking to things like chickens, rabbits, fish, that we might have half a chance with if it wasnt just done for us.

So we shpuld only eat what we can kill with our bare hands? I'm sure if you gave me long enough I could kick a cow to death.
    I'd like to see you catch a ribbit or a fish with your bear hands.

And I don't see keeping animals in zoo's any better than keeping them on a farm.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    So we shpuld only eat what we can kill with our bare hands? I'm sure if you gave me long enough I could kick a cow to death.
    I'd like to see you catch a ribbit or a fish with your bear hands.

And I don't see keeping animals in zoo's any better than keeping them on a farm.
    If I had to kill my own animals I probably wouldnt do it unless absolutely necessary. I might catch fish, I could probably cope with that but no, youre right, I probably wouldnt be able to catch or kill many animals at all.
    I agree with you that zoos are as bad as farms unless you mean intensive farms, which id say were far worse. The only thing that is better about zoos is they dont have as many animals in captivity in them as they do on farms.
  • Options
    Smash wrote:
    Er, no. If I, nor anyone else in my house at meat I'm hardly likely to go out and buy a topside of beef just for mini Smash now, am I?
    But there are plenty of veggies/vegans who manage to co-exist quite happily with meat-eaters without a daily blow-by-blow account of the activities taking place within a slaughterhouse over the dinner table every night, so I should imagine that it very much depends on the person.

You can thrive on any diet as long as it's well balanced , varied and you're getting sufficient energy and nutrients. Be that from tofu or T-bone steak.

i can see where you're coming form but i find something really snobbish about that, i mean there are various psychological implications in telling a child what they should and should not eat, would that make a child less assertive as a person in the future?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    i can see where you're coming form but i find something really snobbish about that, i mean there are various psychological implications in telling a child what they should and should not eat, would that make a child less assertive as a person in the future?
    I really dont see whats snobbish about a vegetarian giving their child the same as the rest of the family is eating. Do you think everyone in a family honestly gets different dinners every night? If the thought of eating an animal really makes someone feel bad, why on earth would they want that for their child? We make choices for our children all the time. Its not snobbish. Its the job of the parent to make choices for a child when its too young to make those choices for itself. It can then make its own choices when its older or when its out of the house.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    oh, just shut up, shut up, shut up :mad:

I have a B12 deficiancy, and I'm a vegetarian.. and QUALIFIED medical professionals have said that it has nothing to do with me being a vegetarian

well, the medical professionals you saw, were, erm..... wrong. I'm right.
  • Options
    I really dont see whats snobbish about a vegetarian giving their child the same as the rest of the family is eating. Do you think everyone in a family honestly gets different dinners every night? If the thought of eating an animal really makes someone feel bad, why on earth would they want that for their child? We make choices for our children all the time. Its not snobbish. Its the job of the parent to make choices for a child when its too young to make those choices for itself. It can then make its own choices when its older or when its out of the house.

but does that not give out a signal to the child to do what people tell them to do and wait till another time to make your own choices, we must remeber that we are most impresshionable in our youth, i'm not sure though, i'm a confused druggy, i think things that are too fucked up but i feel there's always an undercurrent of opinions that are embedded in our minds, subconsciously stuck forever, being released at the silliest of times and attitudes are also shaped by even the slightest things and morals moulded by childhood memories, but in reality it's just my fucked up head. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    well, the medical professionals you saw, were, erm..... wrong. I'm right.
    You're back, and the gap has made you more of a braindead cunt than you were before.

Excellent!

Oh, and FTP is a troll. "snappy one liners"? I've seen more bite from a goldfish.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You're back, and the gap has made you more of a braindead cunt than you were before.

erm, all of the evidence is there, it's quoted all over the place, including SPECIFIC MEDICAL ADVICE to VEGANS AND VEGETARIANS that B12 deficiency is linked to lack of meat in the diet. don't call me braindead, it's quite easy to find, just do a google and you'll find bucketloads of sources telling you exactly the same.
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    erm, all of the evidence is there, it's quoted all over the place, including SPECIFIC MEDICAL ADVICE to VEGANS AND VEGETARIANS that B12 deficiency is linked to lack of meat in the diet. don't call me braindead, it's quite easy to find, just do a google and you'll find bucketloads of sources telling you exactly the same.

ah google, that accurate medical source.
  • Options
    I can find google sources that tell me that Diana was murdered by Interflora. POint?

Why are you back, and how have you managed to get dumber in your absence?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I can find google sources that tell me that Diana was murdered by Interflora. POint?

Why are you back, and how have you managed to get dumber in your absence?

I am back to see you, and try and remember a time when you actually agreed with something I said.

You're not really paying attention to anything i'm saying are you?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Like has been said before, it can be done and the kid could be really healthy, but by restricting your diet down to vegan you are making it harder. Not impossible just harder.

true but why subject your child to something which is effectively a restricted diet and unnnatural since we are omnivores and are suited for digesting different nutrients from different foods, iron intake efficiency is higher from meat for example whilst other things in are best absorbed from vegetables etc

for an adult to choose sure, but for a child, just give them what is nutritious :)

as someone said earlier id be more worried about additives etc

imho people who preach meat is murder, should be fed to free range organic pigs :thumb: - i can understand how someone would question the methods, but not the overall result
  • Options
    As far as i'm concerned, it doesn't matter in the slightest what other people do. I'm aware of a risk of vitamin B12 deficiency, which is my only concern, particularly when considered in relation to the extremely serious problems that can manifest as a result of such a deficiency in infants. Therefore personally I would not recommend breastfeeding without supplements for any vegetarian or vegan mothers.

On a related tangent, personally i'd prefer to simply eat organic food as fresh as possible, and eat less processed food.
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    You're not really paying attention to anything i'm saying are you?

Of course I am. Nutritionists agree that a lack of protein and B12 is bad for you, or the nutritionist who used to moderate on here agreed.

vegetarianism is bad for young children, in the same way it is bad for cats.
  • Options
    Parents who force veganism on their children are no worse than mothers who refuse to breastfeed.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Parents who force veganism on their children are no worse than mothers who refuse to breastfeed.

Except a child isn't losing vital vitamins by using formula milk.

Formula milk isn't ideal, but the nutrients get to the child anyway. In the case of vegans/veggies, they don't.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Except a child isn't losing vital vitamins by using formula milk.

Formula milk isn't ideal, but the nutrients get to the child anyway. In the case of vegans/veggies, they don't.
    Vegans/veggies don't necessarily miss out on vitamins and minerals, just like carnivores don't necessarily get all the vitamins and minerals they need.

Children do miss out on immunoglobulins by being bottle fed. It's the same idea.
  • Options
    artificial formula milk is MUCH worse than a vegan diet. Talk about depriving a child and giving them a second rate food.
  • Options
    artificial formula milk is MUCH worse than a vegan diet. Talk about depriving a child and giving them a second rate food.
    Yeah, but some people don't have the choice, whereas veganism is a choice. And one made by proxy in the case of a child under the age of about 16 I'd say.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Yeah, but some people don't have the choice, whereas veganism is a choice. And one made by proxy in the case of a child under the age of about 16 I'd say.
    yeah something like 2% of people physically cant breastfeed, yet something like only 70% of women even try and only about 40% still breastfeed at 6 weeks.

I think veganism is unhealthy for a very young child. I knew this before this article. Im sure even the vegan society wouldnt recommend the diet for tinies without some very serious meal planning going on - if then.
    Vegetarianism on the other hand is fine for children. You dont need meat as long as youre still getting certain vitamins from other sources, and a vegetarian diet is probably healthier than a lot of childrens diets that I have seen. obviously this varies from family to family, area to area, but there is a lot more to healthy eating than Meat = good.
  • Options
    Agreed.

Breast is best. ;)
  • Options
    I'm more of a leg man myself. Fnarr. Fnarr.

Not breastfeeding isn't good, but a lot of women don't like it, for whatever reason. Fair enough that, I think.

But vegetarianism has no impact on the mother's comfort, and is unjustifiable on any child too young to decide for itself.
  • Options
    they dont like it????? sod the child then.
    If we`re talking about giving a child the best start in life.
    I dont see whats fair enough about it.
  • Options
    they dont like it?????
    I tend towards this viewpoint, but you can't force a new mother who is having a hard time breastfeeding to do so. Midwives encourage it right from booking, but mothers soon find out that bottle feeding is easier and more convenient.

Similarly you can't force someone to feed their child meat, despite it probably being healthier than a vegan diet. Neither bottle feeding nor veganism are ideal for growing children, but what can you do?
  • Options
    Projecting like a crazy man
    Kermit wrote:

Excellent!

Oh, and FTP is a troll. "snappy one liners"? I've seen more bite from a goldfish.

There's a reason that you're an expert on brain dead kunts - its called projection.

I of course can only aspire to the quality of posts you churn out:

Kermit wrote:
    Thank you.

The Sun only decries paedos because it's run by one and the editor is married to one.

:crazyeyes
  • Options
    He doesn't like my politics..... or my snappy one liners

:impissed:

Actually I have no understanding of your politics at all really.

And I think Kermit summed up your 'one liners' quite well.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Actually I have no understanding of your politics at all really.

And I think Kermit summed up your 'one liners' quite well.

And I post here for debate on issues, to read other perspectives and to learn new stuff. Not to behave in a kermit/crackjesus sanctioned way, nopt for popularity.

I don't give a flying shit whether you like me or not .......

I do however object to your repeated description of me as a troll - which has happened since day 1 - and your creation of a hostile environment which seeks to ensure that the opinions expressed on these boards are in accrodance with your own weak value system.

Put me on ignore why don't you? I have yet to be intellectually challenged by anything that you have brought into a discussion here.
  • Options
    To my knowledge thats the first time I have called you a troll actually, but thats not really the point.
  • Options
    And I post here for debate on issues, to read other perspectives and to learn new stuff.

And there was us thinking you were just trying desperately hard to prove how "radical" you are.

I've yet to see you acknowledge any point raised by any poster unless it agrees with yours. Good debate, that isn't.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And there was us thinking you were just trying desperately hard to prove how "radical" you are.

I've yet to see you acknowledge any point raised by any poster unless it agrees with yours. Good debate, that isn't.

I don't *need* to prove anything to anybody, I write what I think.

You might like to give an example of an unacknowledged valid point to prove your thesis......... even better, why don't you show me how to do it, and bolster your claims by showing where you've conceded a point.