Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

child vegans are 'unethical'

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Find stuff yourself, I can't be arsed.

But MoK in particular is someone who you rarely acknowledge and is often right.
    Kermit wrote:
    Find stuff yourself, I can't be arsed.

But MoK in particular is someone who you rarely acknowledge and is often right.

Erm, why did I suspect that you'd come up with nothing.......
    Erm, why did I suspect that you'd come up with nothing.......
    because you're an idiot?

I have slightly better things to do with my time than trawl through the search on this place finding stuff to "prove" something against a person who can only be described as "troll".

Goodnight.
    Kermit wrote:
    because you're an idiot?

I have slightly better things to do with my time than trawl through the search on this place finding stuff to "prove" something against a person who can only be described as "troll".

Goodnight.

:wave:
    Story.

Is it unethical to force your children into such a restrictive diet when there may be health drawbacks?

Considering the hormones, etc they pump animals with to make them bigger, leaner, etc ... maybe not!!
    Considering the hormones, etc they pump animals with to make them bigger, leaner, etc ... maybe not!!

theres crap like that in sorts of food though

if you what they grow bananas with to stop disease youll be :O

gives the workers cancer and skin conditions in poor countries
    Arguing the condition of our meat is a different debate. But if you were concerned enough you could buy organic.
    For the sake of balance, it surely is as unethical to feed your kid McDonalds burgers and other rubbish fast food regularly as keeping them on a strict vegan diet...
    Agreed.
    Its almost word for word what I said back on the first page of this, so I agree too.
    So it is. Apologies. I thought someone might have said something similar along the way but it's difficult to keep track of everything (plus another, even longer thread on U75).
    Aladdin wrote:
    So it is. Apologies. I thought someone might have said something similar along the way but it's difficult to keep track of everything (plus another, even longer thread on U75).

Not a problem, I'm not accusing you of taking my thoughts and posting them as your own. I know you can think intelligently from time to time.
    Well you know they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... ;)
    Aladdin wrote:
    For the sake of balance, it surely is as unethical to feed your kid McDonalds burgers and other rubbish fast food regularly as keeping them on a strict vegan diet...
    I think the mcdonalds diet is far worse.
    I disagree, any diet that restrictive is irresponsible, but McD's is not worse than going to the other extreme.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I disagree, any diet that restrictive is irresponsible, but McD's is not worse than going to the other extreme.

Erm, is it your claim that eating MacDonalds is AS healthy as having a vegan diet?

If it was true, it would make a good follow up to Super Size Me.
    It all depends on the frequency the child is fed McShite burgers, I should imagine.
    Erm, is it your claim that eating MacDonalds is AS healthy as having a vegan diet?

Thats not actually what she said at all.

What she was saying was an overtly restrictive diet of either fatty foods or only certain vegan ones are equally dangerous to a child. Just for different reasons.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Maybe ive got a different idea of a vegan diet than you have, but my idea of it is still reasonably varied, with soya and rice milks and yoghurts, breads, spreads (margarines), pulses, vegetables, grains, vegan cheeses, nuts, fruits etc.
    It still looks to me that a lot of food groups are covered, and if it was done right then it wouldnt be that restrictive at all.
    When they researched it werent they basing their idea of a vegan diet on the kind of diet they had in the third world - not the kind of diet a british person may have with full access to fresh vegetables and a local holland and barrett shop with vegan alternatives to nearly everything.
    Im not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I have had times where ive put my son on dairy free for a while (when hes had colds or tummy bugs, I stop dairy foods) and I didnt find it that restrictive really. Im pretty hot on nutrition issues and feeding my family healthily.
    feeding deep fried meat and potato products (fried in hydrogenated oil) with extra salt and colourings ie macdonalds has almost NO nutritional value in fact id say it was actively harmful if anything other than occasional.
    Plus there is more to eating mcdonalds than just the food. You wouldnt want to support that too often.
    rachie004 wrote:
    jeez who do I believe - QUALIFIED medical professionals..

or a jumped up medical student wannabe

You believe the person with the evidence to suggest that they are right. I have the evidence - show me some from these so-called professionals

:lol: Yeah definitely.
    They should make a film called "Vega-Nize Me" and it should be about a man, that for a month has to eat all his food from holland and barrett and a locally grown organic box scheme for his vegetables. Everything needs to be dairy free and preferably minimally processed. Only drink fortified soya milks etc, even his water has to be from a health food shop.
    After the month, do health checks on him and then we re-coil in horror at how his liver and kidneys are fuctioning properly, about how his arteries are free-flowing and unclogged, how his blood pressure is completely normal etc etc etc.
    dr_carter wrote:
    You believe the person with the evidence to suggest that they are right. I have the evidence - show me some from these so-called professionals
    She could always take a B12 supplement. Its not as if theyre hard to get hold of . Not exactly a major reason to start eating meat if its something she has a moral objection to.
    She could always take a B12 supplement. Its not as if theyre hard to get hold of .

That's not the issue at hand. The issue is whether or not being vegetarian affects B12 levels in the human body. The answer is yes, because the most abundant source of B12 is meat.
    :lol: Yeah definitely.
    They should make a film called "Vega-Nize Me".

Heh, Morgan Spurlocks partner was a vegan I believe ....... It might even work :)
    dr_carter wrote:
    That's not the issue at hand. The issue is whether or not being vegetarian affects B12 levels in the human body. The answer is yes, because the most abundant source of B12 is meat.
    i agree with you. vegetarians can get deficient in B12 if they dont supplement, and you can get vegetarian supplements so its not a reason to eat meat (in this country, with our facilities)
    I simply see it wrong that small children should be pumped full of pills and man-made supplements because their parents are imposing their ethical views on the child's diet.

It might be possible to give a child a balanced vegan diet... but very difficult to achieve though, and requiring a lot of attention to detail. I doubt most parents in this positions are going to be able to provide all the necessary supplements in all the right amounts.

No, I'm saying it's no more wrong to restrict a child's diet one way than the other either through neglect or your own personal morality.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Is it the veganism or is it just the poor diet choice?

Whenever a parent doesnt feed their kid the things it needs its bordering on (if not obviously) child abuse.

Whether that is just nuts and berries or fried crap it makes no odds really.

Look! Theres the answer. I summed it up perfectly on page one.
    I think the problem here is the jumping between slating the vegan diet as a whole and discussing whether its suitable for tinies. Its not exactly new news that its not recommended for very young children, I had that information when I was pregnant nearly 5 years ago.
    the debate has covered veganism for children, vegetarianism for children, the same diets for mankind as a whole, the pros and cons, whether its better than other diets, whether its hard to implement, whether vegans are stupid and/or abusive, manipulating children, the ethics of mcdonalds.
    Its brilliant how threads develop on this site. I love it.
    Most "moral" diets manipulate children, it's amazing how many children become "veggie" when mummy points out where meat comes from.

I don't think a personal moral view should come in the way of how a child is fed and raised. And veganism and vegetarianism is a personal moral view interfering with how a child is fed and raised.