Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

child vegans are 'unethical'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Yes, if you're damaging your child's health by restricting their diet then you're failing to fufil your responsibility as a parent.
  • Options
    Yes. Not only unethical but also disgusting in my book. And I would add vegetarianism to the list.

Nutrition is paramount when growing up. A child should not be left with a deficient diet or be made to take lots of supplement pills. There are simply essential minerals and proteins in meat and fish that you're not going to find in similar quantities anywhere else.

Disgusting selfish brainwashing IMO.
  • Options
    i think if a child wishes to be a vegan when they are old enough to make a conscious decission thats fine. but ,particularly in the early years, parents should consider nutrition and development more important than their own beliefs. you cannot impose a vegan diet on a two year old and expect them to not be lacking in B12 and calcium etc.plus omega3 is very benficial to childrens social and cognitive development etc....its not the same giving them vitamin pills and arent they also derived from animals too?
  • Options
    I am a vegetarian but I would not impose my choices on my child, as I realise that it is important that they eat at least some meat, fish and dairy products to help them with their development. I'm not saying that I would make food with meat and fish in it every single day, but I would make an effort to ensure that my child had these things in their diet. I believe children should be given a choice about these things when they're old enough to make the decision, I don't think they should have something like that imposed upon them.
  • Options
    Is it the veganism or is it just the poor diet choice?

Whenever a parent doesnt feed their kid the things it needs its bordering on (if not obviously) child abuse.

Whether that is just nuts and berries or fried crap it makes no odds really.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

Whenever a parent doesnt feed their kid the things it needs its bordering on (if not obviously) child abuse.

Youve hit the nail on the head.
    It is unethical to feed children shit food constantly. The amount of people that feed their children processed fish fingers sausages, smiley face mashed potato shapes and alphabetti spaghetti every day.
    If someone is feeding their child a diet that lacks major food groups then thats wrong. If they feed their child food that is predominantly fried or processed chemical filled crap then that is unethical.
    people just dont seem to have the first clue about healthy eating these days. i find it worrying.
    Vegetarianism isnt unhealthy in itself. It is unhealthy though when people substitute the meat part of their diet for high fat cheesy bakes etc though.
  • Options
    Youve hit the nail on the head.
    It is unethical to feed children shit food constantly. The amount of people that feed their children processed fish fingers sausages, smiley face mashed potato shapes and alphabetti spaghetti every day.
    If someone is feeding their child a diet that lacks major food groups then thats wrong. If they feed their child food that is predominantly fried or processed chemical filled crap then that is unethical.
    people just dont seem to have the first clue about healthy eating these days. i find it worrying.
    Vegetarianism isnt unhealthy in itself. It is unhealthy though when people substitute the meat part of their diet for high fat cheesy bakes etc though.
    :yes: :yes: :yes:

it comes down to the fact that some parents arent concerned with what goes in the food they feed their kids
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

i agree.

if a parent can give the child all the nutrients it needs with a vegan/veggie diet, then i see no problems.

but if they can't (and bear in mind it's a struggle to get most kids to eat their greens) then it's unethical.
  • Options
    Good, everyone agrees with me.

Talking of feeding your kids crap, have you all seen that teddy bear luncheon meat?

Vile isnt anywhere near strong enough.
  • Options
    im curious....how do vegan children get their calcium?
  • Options
    im curious....how do vegan children get their calcium?

Soy/rice milk
    tofu
    beans/pulses
    leafy veg etc.
    if a parent can give the child all the nutrients it needs with a vegan/veggie diet, then i see no problems.

but if they can't (and bear in mind it's a struggle to get most kids to eat their greens) then it's unethical.

I agree.
    However, I think the parents need to be willing to accept that when the children get older they may choose to no longer follow such a restrictive diet. And that's a choice they have every right to make.

Personally, I think feeding your children dairylea lunchables is uneithical. :yeees:
  • Options
    ooo, didnt know beans had calcium in them.
  • Options
    Smash wrote:
    Personally, I think feeding your children dairylea lunchables is uneithical. :yeees:
    I agree if its anything more than occasional.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    kaffrin wrote:
    i agree.

Pretty much what I'd have said.

I understand why people don't eat meat, but what I don't understand is this: Why not drink milk? The cow/goat's kids will still have plenty, and no cow or goat dies because of that. And I certainly hope vegans don't think the same way of human milk...
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Pretty much what I'd have said.

I understand why people don't eat meat, but what I don't understand is this: Why not drink milk? The cow/goat's kids will still have plenty, and no cow or goat dies because of that. And I certainly hope vegans don't think the same way of human milk...
    Thats not actually true. The dairy industry is closely linked to the veal industry. The milking cows are artificially inseminated, the calves taken away when they are very young and long before they are weaned. They are usually then slaughtered for veal. The mother cow is then given extra hormones to make her produce an abnormally high amount of milk even without her calf there to suckle.
    The dairy industry isnt that nice if you ask me, and its one of the reasons I buy organic milk because they have a higher level of animal welfare and no extra hormones in the milk. Plus its been proven that organic milk has much higher levels of essential omega 3 fatty acids which are proven to aid brain power :thumb:
    it only costs about 20p extra too for a 4 pint carton.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Ah okay, didn't know that. Thanks
    But, if that's the reason they don't, then it's only because of the way the milk is gotten, not something against milk itself, like it's with meat...
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

should the child not give consent first, i mean, i find it very scary that a parent will tell a child they can't eat meat, regardless if it's a healthy vegan diet or not.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    should the child not give consent first, i mean, i find it very scary that a parent will tell a child they can't eat meat, regardless if it's a healthy vegan diet or not.

most kids eat whatever their parents give them. if you let them choose their own diet, i imagine it would pretty much go: chocolate, chocolate cake, ice cream.

as long as the diet the parent enforces is healthy, it's ok.

older kids should be able to choose their diet more, and if they decide they don't want to be veggies, their parents should respect that.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    most kids eat whatever their parents give them. if you let them choose their own diet, i imagine it would pretty much go: chocolate, chocolate cake, ice cream.

as long as the diet the parent enforces is healthy, it's ok.

older kids should be able to choose their diet more, and if they decide they don't want to be veggies, their parents should respect that.

aye but if a parent feeds their child a vegan diet, it obviously implies that they are vegetarians themselves and probably wouldn't let or certainly wouldn't want their children to eat meat in the future, therefore having an influence over their childs choices, i know it's fashionable to diss eating meat as cruel and whatnot but it is an essential part of a healthy diet, our ancestors ate it, why shouldn't we.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    it is an essential part of a healthy diet.

No, not really. It is perfectly possible to have a healthy vegan/vegetarian diet. It certainly takes more effort, but if the parents are vegans in the first place, it stands to reason that they are vigilant about what they eat anyway.
    The danger is when they are fanatical about it or don't ensure their childs developmental needs are met - they should be thriving as opposed to surviving.

And our ancestors did an awful lot of things. Doesn't mean you can't be healthy without following suit.

A vegan diet doesn't mean it's not healthy, just ls a meat-eating diet doesn't ensure health.
  • Options
    Smash wrote:
    The danger is when they are fanatical about it or don't ensure their childs developmental needs are met - they should be thriving as opposed to surviving.

so if you are a vegetarian, would you cook meat to give to your child or not?
  • Options
    Veganism can be seen as unethical anyway.
  • Options
    if I was a vegetarian, I would not cook meat for my child. I am pretty clued up about healthy eating and know full well how to have a healthy vegetarian diet.
    Ive got a feeling my son will choose vegetarianism when hes older anyway as he doesnt seem over-keen on meat apart from chorizo. He does eat it though as he eats what we eat. He seems to like fish though.
    I would not let him become vegan though as I would find that really hard to cover his/our dietary needs.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    if you let them choose their own diet, i imagine it would pretty much go: chocolate, chocolate cake, ice cream.

Youd be surprised actually. I used to run a parent and toddler group and as well as having a few biscuits for coffee break, I would put out plates of apple, bananas, raisins, breadsticks and cheese for the children.
    90% of the children wanted the healthy stuff. It was the parents who went for the biscuits.
    I think parents often project their own unhealthy eating habits onto their children, just assuming thats what their kids want, thinking if they dont give them sweets and biscuits constantly then they are depriving them.
    You also get parents who think if something is marketed at kids, then thats what they have to give them.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    so if you are a vegetarian, would you cook meat to give to your child or not?

Er, no. If I, nor anyone else in my house at meat I'm hardly likely to go out and buy a topside of beef just for mini Smash now, am I?
    But there are plenty of veggies/vegans who manage to co-exist quite happily with meat-eaters without a daily blow-by-blow account of the activities taking place within a slaughterhouse over the dinner table every night, so I should imagine that it very much depends on the person.

You can thrive on any diet as long as it's well balanced , varied and you're getting sufficient energy and nutrients. Be that from tofu or T-bone steak.
  • Options
    You know whats really sick about vegans and vegetarians, they direct all the pain and suffering to those poor plants, i mean what did the plants ever do to deserve this punishment?
    Veganising your children isnt just "unethical" its cruelty, we the human race are carnivorous children need a certain amount of meet in thier diet for essential proteins they need,
    Vegans need to wake up and smell the bacon, stop putting stupid ideas into childrens heads, they need meat, im not going to deprive my children (when i have some)!
  • Options
    Rainbow bright,
    i agree there is no excuse for parents to buy there children crap, unless they are too poor OR too stupid, whic in the case of being too stupid is just unluckt for the children.
    But if children want sweets you can give them stuff like certain berries, dried cranberrys mixed with macodalia nuts are so healthy with natural sugars and they taste *10 better than sweets anyday,
    i belive they should get all this crap food out of school kids should be given healthy stuff to eat!
  • Options
    Isenheart8 wrote:
    You know whats really sick about vegans and vegetarians, they direct all the pain and suffering to those poor plants, i mean what did the plants ever do to deserve this punishment?
    !
    well when you show me a plant with a central nervous system and a brain, then maybe come back to me with that stupid/overused argument.
  • Options
    Plants Have a central nervous system, maybe they dont have a brain but they are still alive, and the vegans are killing them :nervous:
  • Options
    so what if youre killing animals and plants, every species does it to itself and others....

we're born omnivores thats why i take full advantage of it :D

i enjoy vegetables i enjoy meat too, and they go well together, meat protein for example is more easily digested than vegetable protein, whilst vegetables have vitamins meat doesnt have

its all complimentary, why a parent would devoid their child of it, especially if they arent making up for the things required to grow at young ages like protein and calcium and iron