Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mrs Moroccan Roll...?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is it me, or do all those denying the risks from cannabis sound just like smokers in the 60s/70s?
  • Options
    Is it me, or do all those denying the risks from cannabis sound just like smokers in the 60s/70s?

Is it just me. or do those alleging the risks of cannabis sound just like the moralists of the 40s and 50s?

Anyway, quite a few people are allergic to peanuts, in a life threatening way .... should we ban peanuts?

Life threatening is, after all, very serious.....
  • Options
    Is it just me. or do those alleging the risks of cannabis sound just like the moralists of the 40s and 50s?

Could just be you. Why not ask the others?

For my perspective, this isn't a moral issue though. It's a straight health one. Cannabis use has side-effects, some you like, some will harm you. Simple as.

The facts should be available, just as they are for tobacco smoking, and then people should be able to make their own mind up. IMHO.

But please don't pretend that it's risk free.
    Anyway, quite a few people are allergic to peanuts, in a life threatening way .... should we ban peanuts?

Please post a link where I suggested that Cannabis should be banned...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    But please don't pretend that it's risk free.

I don't think anybody has suggested that?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I don't think anybody has suggested that?

Sorry, I may have exagerrated. No-one said it was risk free.

Just like no-one ever said that smoking didn't make them cough occassionally, but that it still wasn't doing them any long term harm so what's the problem?
  • Options
    Another ridiculously polarised thread about cannabis. How interesting.
  • Options
    Your persistent ignorance is breathtaking. If you don't know about the risks to health, say so. I shan't think any less of you. ;)

I don't really care what you think cannabis does. The evidence remains that cannabis causes mental illness. It can also exacerbate existing mental illness, but the causal link has been shown.

You don't seem to comprehend what i've been saying...

I've admitted there are SOME possible, potential risks...for some people.

I'll ask again - where is this mysterious horde of pot smokers from the 60's onwards who are suffering mental illness as a result of cannabis? Where are the statistics? No silly comparisons or analogies, please.

All we have are, as you say yourself, "associations and probabilities". It's not difficult to gather a group of "fucked up" teenagers, note that a considerable number have smoked cannabis, and then draw an association between their problems and cannabis use. Maybe you find that convincing, but I certainly don't.
    I do not believe in condemning people for their life choices. But I do believe that regular cannabis use is harmful to health and thus should be controlled. I don't think that's hypocritical, but I do accept that there is a certain amount of conflict between those two statements.

Regular alcohol use is harmful to health, regular visits to McDonalds is harmful to health, sports can be harmful to health, just about everything has the potential to be harmful to health, but only a small amount of that potential is generally realised.

If people want to smoke cannabis, they have a basic human right to have access to a regulated, clean supply. I personally haven't seen anything which leads me to conclude that cannabis carries serious mental health risks, unless you've got pre-existing mental health problems or smoke heavily every day.
    What's the rationale for cannabis use? Could it not be replaced with an alternative that satisfies your need to relax/feel good/rebel?

You know what the rationale for cannabis use is.

I don't have any need to relax/feel good/rebel.
    Without being too specific, he became aggressive with his family, experienced visual and auditory hallucinations, stopped going to college and crashed his car. He was admitted to hospital for 6 months and I saw him at his GP's surgery, when he was still suffering mood swings and altered mood despite no longer smoking regularly.

I can't tell you that that wouldn't have happened if he hadn't smoked cannabis, but the psychiatrist was of the opinion that this was the main contributing factor. This guy was smoking pot every day.

I know people who have dropped out of society completely, been sent to YOI's/jail...etc etc. They've all been "fucked up" (for want of a better expression) before they smoked cannabis...just so happens they tend to veer off track at a time in their lives when they're also old enough to dabble with drugs.

I'd go as far as saying cannabis helps a lot of people who are "weird" anyway...fills a hole in their soul type thing...

But obviously that isn't something you could verify medically.
    This is the bit I don't understand.

If it were legal...the supply would be clean.

When you buy hash in the UK, you're buying something which is made from an assortment of substances...some cannabis...tranquilisers...boot polish...glue...plastic...etc etc. Edinburgh University did a study on it, the results were pretty shocking.

Legalise it, and this isn't a problem anymore...

Don't "scan", read.[/QUOTE]

So there's hard evidence there is there? Not just "associations and probabilities"?
  • Options
    I agree the facts shoudl be available - except of course for the fact that they're heavily disputed, there are 2 narratives.

I think legalisation would go a long way to reducing the risks, cos then there could be advice on THC content, likely side effects of a particular strain, and a reliable source for the users own personal preference.

Right now, you don't know what you're getting till you've bought it and tried it. At least I don't have to get soap any more, since relaxation of the law, but I find some grass very agreeable and other stuff less so.

:nervous:
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    All we have are, as you say yourself, "associations and probabilities".

And greater prevalence of mental health conditions in the UK...

Oh, and "associations and probabilities" are all we have to link smoking and lung cancer. Do you dispute that too?
  • Options
    And greater prevalence of mental health conditions in the UK...

Oh, and "associations and probabilities" are all we have to link smoking and lung cancer. Do you dispute that too?

Using association and probabilities to link smoking and lung cancer is considerably more straightforward than drawing a link between cannabis use and mental ill health.

A false association is not difficult to draw. Combine that with some reactionary vested interests...and there you go, enough "evidence" to cloud the issue and manipulate the public.

Moreover, if you're wanting to use evidence which at best is at best dubious, why not draw a conclusion from the levels of use in Holland, which haven't risen substantially since the law was relaxed...that's a notable indication, which, if was likewise the case in the UK, would render anti-legalisation arguments completely redundant.
  • Options
    i'm going to a roll a fat one ...speed up my madness and death a bit.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    If people want to smoke cannabis, they have a basic human right to have access to a regulated, clean supply.
    I think this is the key point.

Leaving aside the medical evidence, which you are determined to deny and/or downplay, I don't think anyone has a "basic human right" to be supplied with their chosen poison. Do I have a right to "have access" to food containing Sudan 1 dye?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Leaving aside the medical evidence, which you are determined to deny and/or downplay, I don't think anyone has a "basic human right" to be supplied with their chosen poison. Do I have a right to "have access" to food containing Sudan 1 dye?
    your being silly now.
  • Options
    your being silly now.
    How is it any different? I like Worcestershire sauce.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    How is it any different? I like Worcestershire sauce.
    you have the right to filling up your car with petrol that has water in it but no one should have the right to sell you such shite....
    this is a none fucking answer mate ...come on.
    look ...people want to grow some nutmeg ...highly halluinagenic and tasty ...they can ...if they couldn't ...they would have to buy it on your beloved tax free money goes anywhere and everywhere blackmarket ...and people fucking would if they want to make a decent rice pudding.
    what would illegal nutmeg be full of ...plastic diesel and boot polish ...or the old biblical times method which lasted into the 1980's of putting grit in with your barley ...
    people are asking for honesty and control and nothing more.
  • Options
    you have the right to filling up your car with petrol that has water in it but no one should have the right to sell you such shite....
    Who should sell you cannabis then?
    people are asking for honesty and control and nothing more.
    Actually, "people" aren't being honest about the risks and are refusing control by demanding the right to grow their own.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    You know what the rationale for cannabis use is.
    No, I don't...
    I don't have any need to relax/feel good/rebel.
    Why do you use cannabis?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Who should sell you cannabis then?

herbalists chemists ...with as controlled and regulated a situation as brewers distillers and pharmacists now face.
    licensed premises ...liciensed for smoking that is ...a cafe culture is fine with me.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Kentish wrote:
    Why do you use cannabis?

The key word is 'Need'.
    Most drug users do not 'need' to use, they simply 'choose' to!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    herbalists chemists ...with as controlled and regulated a situation as brewers distillers and pharmacists now face.
    licensed premises ...liciensed for smoking that is ...a cafe culture is fine with me.

A cafe culture would be great. :D
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    A cafe culture would be great. :D
    it realy would.
    in this country the first ten years would see an explosion of cafes.
    differnt music etc ...
    no pissheads!
    it would be fantastic and spin some real economic benefits into town centres and beyond.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

What on earth are you on about? :confused:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

I'm not downplaying anything...I had a look through that BMJ link, and there's some articles purporting to show a possible link between cannabis use and teenage mental ill health, depression, anxiety and so on. I don't think it's a trustworthy association...drug use is often a symptom amongst young people with problems, not a cause.

There are some potential problems for some people, i've never denied that.

And if you think that is the key point, you've gone mad :chin: .

Why would you want access to something potentially harmful, with no other potential use, when there's no doubt various alternatives which serve exactly the same purpose?

One of the most absurd comparisons you've made, and there's been more than a few.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    The key word is 'Need'.
    Most drug users do not 'need' to use, they simply 'choose' to!
    OK. Why?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What on earth are you on about? :confused:
    A person's 'right' to be supplied with, or "have access" to, any substance of their choice only on the basis of their desire to consume that substance.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No, I don't...

Why do you use cannabis?

To enhance life...you can appreciate things far better than if you were sober or drunk...music, tv, film, sex, humour, nature... just about anything really...

The fact that people want to deny others the right to access the plant is shockingly reactionary.
  • Options
    Perhaps for the same reason people drink red wine, have sex or sunbathe?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Why would you want access to something potentially harmful, with no other potential use, when there's no doubt various alternatives which serve exactly the same purpose?
    This is what I'm asking you.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    shockingly reactionary.
    What do you mean?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Perhaps for the same reason people drink red wine, have sex or sunbathe?

Liver damage, STD's and sunburn...

All potentially far more harmful than cannabis...