Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mrs Moroccan Roll...?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    I have stated all my arguments on this thread. I'm not going to bore everyone by going over them again. There is strong evidence of a causal link between cannabis use and certain types of mental illness. Not to mention a recently described syndrome of vomiting, abdominal pain and obsessive behaviour in regular users. It may not happen to everyone, but alcoholic liver disease doesn't occur in all heavy drinkers. It's still something to be considered.

If cannabis was such a danger to mental health...then where are all these casualties? If these supposed risks to mental health were as extreme as you're making out...we'd have seen a mass influx of people into the health system from the 60's onwards. This hasn't happened.

You can vomit if you're not accustomed to the drug - big deal. Nothing compared to the effects of getting too drunk. Abdominal pain? Never heard of it, never experienced it.
    Kentish wrote:
    At least you can admit that smoking cannabis does harm the smoker. That's more than some will acknowledge. But we're straying from the topic of this thread yet again. The NHS and social services would still have to pick up the pieces of any health problems caused by cannabis use, so I do think all taxpayers have the right to question blanket legalisation of cannabis and all drugs.

I think everyone will acknowledge smoking does cause harm (carcinogens, free radicals...all that)...but what must be said also, is that the damage from cannabis is presumed - not proven. There is some evidence that cannabis actual filters and cleans the lungs.
    Kentish wrote:
    Cannabis is a drug. "Hard" and "soft" are legal distinctions, again not relevant to this argument.

The relevence of that distinction is surely self-evident...we're talking specifically about cannabis, not people sitting about smoking crack pipes.
    Kentish wrote:
    Evidence would do.

Evidence regarding what?
    Kentish wrote:
    They also have a much higher teenage pregnancy rate in the States. There are social and societal reasons for these differences, making comparisons difficult.

This is true...but it's still a comparison worth making imho. When you have a country with some of the most repressive and backward drugs policies in the Western World having the highest levels of pot smokers per% of population, that's a fairly good indication that prohibition doesn't succeed in reducing usage...

Couple that with the Dutch experience - use after legal relaxation didn't increase - and you've got a pretty good basis for believing cannabis usage wouldn't increase substantially.

Now, where's the evidence to suggest prohibition reduces use??

Kentish wrote:
    Indeed, if you could come up with a convincing argument that the government would be able to control the supply of cannabis then you could try and persuade me that it would be preferable to the status quo..

What problem would there be with controlling the supply?
    Kentish wrote:
    In my experience, all drug use is linked to social inequality. Especially drug use where there is no consideration of the effects of the drugs or long term consequences - i.e. drug use due to social deprivation.

When it comes to drugs, what is your experience? You've seen a few ragamuffins smoking a joint at a bus stop and then thought to yourself, "mmm...there must be a link to social deprivation"...??

If all drug use is linked to social inequality...does that mean when I walk through Stirling tonight, the students staggering about pished as farts will be products of "social inequality"?

Or does that mean when I'm a sitting in a pub, my pals snorting coke @ £50 a gram in the toilets are "products of social inequality"?

It's no wonder you can't see the light here, because your perception of "drug use" is so way off track.

I'm going to have to say it again - there's different types of drug use, that which is linked to social inequality/deprivation (people taking heroin & crack cocaine) and recreational use which transcends class & social equality. Classing them together is insane.

The only real argument you're using is that of health risks...even though I've repeatedly pointed out that public health is a big reason for legalisation. But still, you seem to ignore the fact that people are smoking glue, transquilisers and boot polish...all because of prohibition...now how does that benefit society as a whole???

Look at it this way - cannabis is ingrained in our culture. Millions of people have, or do smoke it. Links to mental health problems have not been proven, and there's been no mass of dope smokers from past generations claiming to have suffered from mental illness as a result of cannabis. You can never substantially reduce cannabis use - the lies don't hold anymore. It's used by all classes, and by people from all backgrounds - there is absolutely no practical reason to carry on with the madness we're operating under.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    If cannabis was such a danger to mental health...then where are all these casualties?
    Probably all around you.
    You can vomit if you're not accustomed to the drug - big deal. Nothing compared to the effects of getting too drunk. Abdominal pain? Never heard of it, never experienced it.
    Your own personal ignorance of this syndrome is not good enough reason for it not to be true.
    the damage from cannabis is presumed - not proven.
    Again, that's simply not true. You can deny it all you like, but there is evidence of a causal link.
    Now, where's the evidence to suggest prohibition reduces use??
    It's not about prohibition reducing use, but about legalisation increasing it. The world is a very different place now than it was in the 60s.
    What problem would there be with controlling the supply?
    ....the ability to grow your own?
    When it comes to drugs, what is your experience? You've seen a few ragamuffins smoking a joint at a bus stop and then thought to yourself, "mmm...there must be a link to social deprivation"...??

If all drug use is linked to social inequality...does that mean when I walk through Stirling tonight, the students staggering about pished as farts will be products of "social inequality"?

Or does that mean when I'm a sitting in a pub, my pals snorting coke @ £50 a gram in the toilets are "products of social inequality"?

It's no wonder you can't see the light here, because your perception of "drug use" is so way off track.
    :thumb:
    I've repeatedly pointed out that public health is a big reason for legalisation.
    You've made the argument and I am not convinced.
    Links to mental health problems have not been proven
    :confused:
  • Options
    there are links to mental health problems ...all this proves is crazy people shouldn't smoke weed.
    something would trigger their problems no doubt.
    i know ...we have no way of knowing who the people are who have these underlying mental problems ...that can be triggered by cannabis ...not caused by ...thats tough.
    why should the sane people be thrown into jail for the sake of the fucking crazy ones?
  • Options
    why should the sane people be thrown into jail for the sake of the fucking crazy ones?
    You could say the same about a lot of crimes...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You could say the same about a lot of crimes...
    like wich ones?
    i have never been thrown in jail cos one my nieghbours is daft as a brush.
    if my doctor wishes to unwind tonight with a spliff ...he should be prosecuted face jail face the loss of his job etc etc ...cos there are some crazy people about who might do the same thing ...
    which crimes we talking about here?
  • Options
    Drink driving (most drink drivers never crash), Fraud (most fraud goes unnoticed until an audit), Carrying a knife (most knives aren't used as weapons), Owning a handgun (most aren't used as weapons). And variations on the theme.

It's the same with alcohol and tobacco - a majority of heavy users won't die from their habit, but we still encourage moderation of the former, and cessation of the latter. It doesn't make sense to me to add another to the list of things we want to discourage, and do so by making it legal.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It doesn't make sense to me to add another to the list of things we want to discourage, and do so by making it legal.
    cannabis is already on the list ...was on the list before anyone ever drank alcohhol has been used forever and is in massive ...UNCONTROLLED use today.
    so we are back to square one then ...lets keep it illegal and sometimes poisonous ...lets keep the billions of quids flowing freely to the wrong people ...and all will be well.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Probably all around you.

If that was the case, the evidence would be there to see...it isn't, because their is no mass of cannabis casualties.
    Your own personal ignorance of this syndrome is not good enough reason for it not to be true.

Where did you hear about this "syndrome"?
    Again, that's simply not true. You can deny it all you like, but there is evidence of a causal link.

There is some evidence of a casual link...i'm sure if someone with pre-existing mental health problems sits about all day smoking weed they may encounter problems...that's no reason for the government to prevent the rest of us from smoking...and it's very convenient of you to forget that far more peopleclaim benefits from cannabis than any detriment...you often talk of personal choice, personal responsibility...doesn't that come in right here? Do people not have the right to choose?

We're talking about a plant that's been used for centuries upon centuries with no sign of detrimental effects, it's been getting smoked copiously across the Western world since the 1960's...and there's no mass of people complaining about mental health problems, because they don't exist.

And, in any case, legal or illegal, it continues to be smoked in copious amounts...i thought the job of the government was to rule for the people...not control what they can and can't do in their own homes on some flimsy pre-text of "pre-existing mental health issues" being "exacerbated".

It's not about prohibition reducing use, but about legalisation increasing it. The world is a very different place now than it was in the 60s.

Holland didn't experience a mass increase.
    ....the ability to grow your own?

I think it's a fundamental right to be able to grow your own without threat of prosecution or your plants confiscated. But that's beside the point anyway.
    :thumb:

So you have no experience of what you're talking about.
    You've made the argument and I am not convinced.

In what way aren't you convinced? People are smoking glue, shit and tranquilisers because of prohibition - fact.

:confused:[/QUOTE]

Evidence suggesting a casual link is not proof.

So you're fighting your corner on the basis of, going on the evidence of Holland, a false presumption that legalisation increases use...which, because of some evidence suggesting a "casual" link with mental illness amongst those with pre-existing mental health problems, warrants continued prohibition...even though it has achieved absolutely NOTHING.

Meanwhile, millions of people are smoking glue, tranquilisers, shit, plastic and boot polish...and i've seen first hand people coughing up blood after smoking that shite...had severe chest pains myself...and all because of prohibition.

Open up your eyes!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Drink driving (most drink drivers never crash), Fraud (most fraud goes unnoticed until an audit), Carrying a knife (most knives aren't used as weapons), Owning a handgun (most aren't used as weapons). And variations on the theme.

It's the same with alcohol and tobacco - a majority of heavy users won't die from their habit, but we still encourage moderation of the former, and cessation of the latter. It doesn't make sense to me to add another to the list of things we want to discourage, and do so by making it legal.

Why would we want to discourage it?

Used responsibly, it can enhance your life.

Answer this question...do you believe I have the right to light up and smoke the joint sitting next to me? Because, when you strip it all away, that's what this argument comes down to...
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Answer this question...do you believe I have the right to light up and smoke the joint sitting next to me?
    mines already burnin' brother ...
  • Options
    mines already burnin' brother ...

Likewise. First of the day, always the best :angel: .
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Likewise. First of the day, always the best :angel: .
    you do realise ...we could go to jail for this terrible act ...or ...you could go crazy!
    i'm ok ...i was crazy before i started smoking this shit.
  • Options
    you do realise ...we could go to jail for this terrible act ...or ...you could go crazy!
    i'm ok ...i was crazy before i started smoking this shit.

Well I have to admit, my thought process are currently pretty crazy, and that's half way through my second joint...

I think it's time to give the computer up for the night...before I start posting even more nonsense than usual :cool: .
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I think it's time to give the computer up for the night...before I start posting even more nonsense than usual :cool: .
    ok ok ...i can take a hint!
  • Options
    Drugs nearly ruined my life, belive me i they are evil, if the women was selling cannabis to freinds who have the same condition as her, if she was selling it to people who had pain then fair enough let her go, if she was selling it to teenagers or people without medical condition then punish her.
  • Options
    Isenheart8 wrote:
    Drugs nearly ruined my life, belive me i they are evil, if the women was selling cannabis to freinds who have the same condition as her, if she was selling it to people who had pain then fair enough let her go, if she was selling it to teenagers or people without medical condition then punish her.
    drugs did ruin my life for a while!
  • Options
    I took my first extasy tablet when i was 14, messed up my schooling properly, i was a good kid just got in with a bad and older crowd, im ok now but anyone saying drugs are ok shoudnt be saying it unless they have been through what they can do to you.
  • Options
    How can a chemical substance be "evil"?
  • Options
    Isenheart8 wrote:
    anyone saying drugs are ok shoudnt be saying it unless they have been through what they can do to you.
    if thats correct then not only are the points i have made in this thread valid ...they are important.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    If that was the case, the evidence would be there to see...it isn't, because their is no mass of cannabis casualties.
    There are 2 million diabetics in this country. How many could you point out to me on the street?
    Where did you hear about this "syndrome"?
    I heard about it on a ward round the other day. It was first described in Adelaide and I can't for the life of me find it on Google. I'm not making it up. ;)
    There is some evidence of a casual link...no sign of detrimental effects...mental health problems don't exist...flimsy pre-text
    You obviously don't believe it.
    you often talk of personal choice, personal responsibility...doesn't that come in right here? Do people not have the right to choose?
    I do believe in personal choice. I'm not making any judgement of you (or no more so than I would a smoker or drinker or speeder or overeater) and I actually admire your enthusiasm for your particular poison. Mine is red wine, but the principle is the same.

However, I'd be interested in whether you think the Sudan 1 food dye should be banned. Do I have the right to buy food containing Sudan 1 or should the government make rules banning a substance that has been used in food for generations?
    I think it's a fundamental right to be able to grow your own without threat of prosecution or your plants confiscated.
    Fair enough. Don't use the argument about legalisation providing tax revenue for the government then.
    So you have no experience of what you're talking about.
    I've never become psychotic after smoking cannabis, but I have seen people who did. And I saw a chap on Friday with this Adelaide syndrome.
    In what way aren't you convinced? People are smoking glue, shit and tranquilisers because of prohibition - fact.
    I'm not quite sure why the legality of cannabis would have any effect on this.
    some evidence suggesting a "casual" link with mental illness amongst those with pre-existing mental health problems
    It's not about pre-existing mental illness: cannabis can trigger mental illness that didn't otherwise exist.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    However, I'd be interested in whether you think the Sudan 1 food dye should be banned. Do I have the right to buy food containing Sudan 1 or should the government make rules banning a substance that has been used in food for generations?

It's not about pre-existing mental illness: cannabis can trigger mental illness that didn't otherwise exist.
    you have a right to be protected from someone selling you poison.
    you expect to be protected from harmful adulterants being added to anything you consume ...surely a cannabis user should expect the same?

sudan 1 was never intended as a food product ...whats this centuries bullshit?

there is no science ...no medical evidence that cannabis sent anyone crazy!this has never happened!
    please give me a source ...
  • Options
    you have a right to be protected from someone selling you poison.
    Well quite. QED?
    there is no science ...no medical evidence that cannabis sent anyone crazy!this has never happened!
    please give me a source ...
    I thought you read the article from the British Medical Journal?
    Google it.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Well quite. QED?

I thought you read the article from the British Medical Journal?
    Google it.
    alcohol is classed as a poison ...you KNOW it has been prepared under strict control.
    beans ...you expect to be poison free. cannabis you KNOW ...is totaly without control so you have to be extra careful. it doesn't have to be that way ...shouldn't be that way.
    how do you propose that our cannabis can be safeguarded?
    the only link i have read is a pile of maybes and ifs and buts ...show me ...
  • Options
    how do you propose that our cannabis can be safeguarded?
    You tell me. How would legalisation provide a cleaner supply?
    the only link i have read is a pile of maybes and ifs and buts ...show me ...
    Welcome to the world of medical research. Nothing is guaranteed; it's about associations and probabilities.

Take your pick
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You tell me. How would legalisation provide a cleaner supply?

[/URL]
    look at prohibited booze ...people being poisoned by dodgy gear ...being shot murdered and imprisoned for tax evasion ...as with most illegal activities it's cash violence and adulterated products.
    legalisation for the enth time ...would mean no control whatsoever to huge control ...liciensed producers and distributors ...at up to ten billion quid a year it would be a very attractive proposition to many large companies and banks.
    have you noticed that since the yanks legalised alcohol ...they got rid of an amazing amount of health and crime problems associated with one particular product.
    i'll read the links tommorow.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    There are 2 million diabetics in this country. How many could you point out to me on the street?

None...but the statistics are there as proof that diabetes obviously is a widespread and recognised illness. Where are the statistics with cannabis? They don't exist. If there was some kind of mass of people with cannabis-induced mental health problems, the right wing press would not only be all over it, but there would medical evidence & statistics. But this isn't the case.

I heard about it on a ward round the other day. It was first described in Adelaide and I can't for the life of me find it on Google. I'm not making it up. ;)

If someone is getting abdominal pain, stop smoking. Anyway, any pains people are getting is probably a result of smoking soapbar...again, a product of prohibition :rolleyes: .
    You obviously don't believe it.

You've taken my words out of context...i acknowledge the potential for some problems amongst chronic smokers with existing mental health problems.

But...if cannabis was a serious threat to people's mental health, we'd know about it, considering its levels of use in the last half century. Where are all these people, why does no-one know them, and why are there no medical statistics?
    I do believe in personal choice. I'm not making any judgement of you (or no more so than I would a smoker or drinker or speeder or overeater) and I actually admire your enthusiasm for your particular poison. Mine is red wine, but the principle is the same.

But you support a system which criminalises people for that choice...that's what I call hypocracy.

If you acknowledge personal choice, acknowledging legalisation as the answer to the question of cannabis legality is the logical progression...

That's just absurd as a comparison. Sudan 1 food dye can no doubt be replaced with an alternative which doesn't pose a health risk, so there's no rationale for its use.
    Fair enough. Don't use the argument about legalisation providing tax revenue for the government then.

The argument is still valid. The government would still derive tax from cannabis consumption, regardless of whether cultivation was legalised...not everyone would be growing their own plants...and the top quality stuff is largely not homegrown...so even with cultivation legal, revenue would still be substantial.
    I've never become psychotic after smoking cannabis, but I have seen people who did. And I saw a chap on Friday with this Adelaide syndrome.

Pyschotic? What was the nature of their pyschosis? Please tell me more...
    I'm not quite sure why the legality of cannabis would have any effect on this.

Legalisation = No more soapbar.

No more soapbar = No more smoking smoking glue, horse shit and plastic.

No more smoking glue, horse shit and plastic = Better public health.

Better public health = Reason for legalisation.

Can you show me evidence for this? I scanned over the BMJ link you put up, but I didn't see anything of particular note...

I have seen some statistics which show relatively high rates of mental health problems amongst young people who have smoked cannabis...but, to be honest, there's other factors you have to take into account...quite a high proportion of young people who could be described as "fucked up" to start off with smoke dope...so it's not a case of normal little innocent teenagers smoking dope and suddenly flipping out...but people who are already somewhat weird/mentally unbalanced possibly exacerbating their existing problems.
  • Options
    Isenheart8 wrote:
    I took my first extasy tablet when i was 14, messed up my schooling properly, i was a good kid just got in with a bad and older crowd, im ok now but anyone saying drugs are ok shoudnt be saying it unless they have been through what they can do to you.

Who mentioned E?

We're talking about cannabis legalisation, not whether "drugs are ok".
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    there would medical evidence & statistics. But this isn't the case.
    If someone is getting abdominal pain, stop smoking. Anyway, any pains people are getting is probably a result of smoking soapbar...again, a product of prohibition :rolleyes: .
    Your persistent ignorance is breathtaking. If you don't know about the risks to health, say so. I shan't think any less of you. ;)
    You've taken my words out of context...i acknowledge the potential for some problems amongst chronic smokers with existing mental health problems.
    I don't really care what you think cannabis does. The evidence remains that cannabis causes mental illness. It can also exacerbate existing mental illness, but the causal link has been shown.
    why are there no medical statistics?
    There are.
    But you support a system which criminalises people for that choice...that's what I call hypocracy.

If you acknowledge personal choice, acknowledging legalisation as the answer to the question of cannabis legality is the logical progression...
    I do not believe in condemning people for their life choices. But I do believe that regular cannabis use is harmful to health and thus should be controlled. I don't think that's hypocritical, but I do accept that there is a certain amount of conflict between those two statements.
    That's just absurd as a comparison. Sudan 1 food dye can no doubt be replaced with an alternative which doesn't pose a health risk, so there's no rationale for its use.
    What's the rationale for cannabis use? Could it not be replaced with an alternative that satisfies your need to relax/feel good/rebel?
    Pyschotic? What was the nature of their pyschosis? Please tell me more...
    Without being too specific, he became aggressive with his family, experienced visual and auditory hallucinations, stopped going to college and crashed his car. He was admitted to hospital for 6 months and I saw him at his GP's surgery, when he was still suffering mood swings and altered mood despite no longer smoking regularly.

I can't tell you that that wouldn't have happened if he hadn't smoked cannabis, but the psychiatrist was of the opinion that this was the main contributing factor. This guy was smoking pot every day.
    No more soapbar = No more smoking smoking glue, horse shit and plastic.
    This is the bit I don't understand.
    Can you show me evidence for this? I scanned over the BMJ link you put up, but I didn't see anything of particular note...
    Don't "scan", read.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I can't tell you that that wouldn't have happened if he hadn't smoked cannabis, but the psychiatrist was of the opinion that this was the main contributing factor. This guy was smoking pot every day.

He may well have been using more pot because he was already in the early stages of a psychotic episode perhaps?

Its a little "chicken and egg" this one.....
  • Options
    300+ posts... :eek:

You know, you guys are never going to convince each other.

Perhaps you should discuss in person, over a spliff ;):p