Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Van Gogh

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At the end of the day, it comes down to terminology. I wouldn't ever ever use 'and this speaker speaks QE with a broad Scottish accent', and I'm sure none of my colleagues would. They probably wouldn't even say 'the queen speaks QE with an RP accent'. They would instead, however, use SE in its place. Although they may be, to you, one and the same thing, I would say they are totally different, and because I'm an English Language postgraduate student who in 4 years time will (hopefully) be a doctor of English Language, what I say goes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    Note that the only response to my argument is 'you're wrong'.

You know that little bar on the right of the screen? Scroll up, and you might be able to see some more of my responses :)

Tool.
  • Options
    Did I say that I am any better than you or anyone else? No.

Did you forget to look up "implications" in the dictionary? Yes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay

Wow, so you mean they have to go out, have free, luxurious and exquisite dinners? And holidays? And she gets paid to talk about the times with her family? I see what you mean now, what a hard life she leads :(

You really have no idea how hard she actually works, do you? She probably has less time off than most of the country, and yet you still call her lazy. How dare you.
    How has she suffered like us? i mean what the fuck. has she ever got into a fight, had major family problems, fallen out of trees and broken bones, been through friends and relatives having major mental problems, etc? No. She just sits on her arse all day thinking about what the next best thing she should spend out hard earned money on is.

Do you mean a verbal fight, or a physical fight? If physical, why would a woman fight anyway? She has had very majoy family problems. She did cause herself serious injury when she was younger. She has been bombed, lost her younger sister, her daughter in law, both parents, she helped the country in the Land Army during the war, she suffers from hip problems and arthritis, I don't really see how that's any different from most average people.
    lmao wtf. You're such a patronising ass. You seem to think you're actually intelligent, while actually pushing yourself further and further away from that image with every key you press. The queen doesn't actually know any better than us. Just because shes the queen does not make her intelligent. In fact, i don't think i've ever heard her say anything intelligent ever.

What i'm actually saying is, would the average Briton know how to address a Cypriot Archbishop without offending him, and would he care otherwise? Would the average Briton put his politics and his bias against race, occupation or sexual orientation aside, if he had any, when dealing with the public? Probably not. That is why the Queen is very good at her job.
  • Options
    If the Queen had committed a crime, it would be all over the newspapers, especially the Sun, because i'm sure some little git who was sacked from the household would sell the story. You prove to me that she has committed a serious enough crime and i'll agree with you.

It is. It's called the war in Iraq. Which has been mentioned already, but with you being the queens Personal anus leech, you must have just conveniently forgotten all about that. Silly you.

Now agree with me as you said. The war in Iraq WAS a crime. FACT.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    At the end of the day, it comes down to terminology. I wouldn't ever ever use 'and this speaker speaks QE with a broad Scottish accent', and I'm sure none of my colleagues would. They probably wouldn't even say 'the queen speaks QE with an RP accent'. They would instead, however, use SE in its place. Although they may be, to you, one and the same thing, I would say they are totally different, and because I'm an English Language postgraduate student who in 4 years time will (hopefully) be a doctor of English Language, what I say goes.

No, not really. As far as i'm concerned, you don't interfere with what's always gone on for years without good reason. You don't have a good reason, and therefore, what I say is what i'm going to consider as going. QE is SE. You may think otherwise, that's your option.
  • Options
    You really have no idea how hard she actually works, do you? She probably has less time off than most of the country, and yet you still call her lazy. How dare you.

Source and evidence please.
    Do you mean a verbal fight, or a physical fight? If physical, why would a woman fight anyway? She has had very majoy family problems. She did cause herself serious injury when she was younger. She has been bombed, lost her younger sister, her daughter in law, both parents, she helped the country in the Land Army during the war, she suffers from hip problems and arthritis, I don't really see how that's any different from most average people.

You mean no woman should ever get mugged or raped? Clown.

What i'm actually saying is, would the average Briton know how to address a Cypriot Archbishop without offending him, and would he care otherwise? Would the average Briton put his politics and his bias against race, occupation or sexual orientation aside, if he had any, when dealing with the public? Probably not. That is why the Queen is very good at her job. [/B]

You mean most Britons don't have common sense? I think again i shall use the word "clown", as it describes you so correctly.
  • Options
    the queen and her family spend a vast amount of time on attending dinners, foreign visits, ceremonial occasions

What? So they get elaborate free meals, parties and foreign holidays too?
    Once again, you've completely missed the point.

I never miss the point. I always twist the point to make it suit my argument better :)
    I'm not saying a President will automatically commit crimes, i'm saying that the Queen has not and will not.

So? Maybe you should put your faith in the nation to elect someone who they see as moral? Or maybe you think that should be left to the upper class?
    She commands the respect of all whom she meets, because she is a queen

She commans their respect because she's a queen? I think I already established most people realise that counts for jack shit in this country.
    and has a great history of rule in her family

By 'rule', you mean invasion, conquest, murder, inbreeding and downright nastiness? Aside from the fact they weren't even originally British that is...
    because she has suffered like us all in some way

Yeah, she's lost family members'. It's terrible God didn't make the Royal Family immortal and above all that dying stuff like us commoners are used to :(
    and because she is not a bad person

How do you know? If you were a bad person would you tell everyone about it? Do you think Hitler won over the German people by killing kittens and puppies infront of them?
    The queen is not a celebrity. She is a leader. She is not a fraud, and people do not worship her.

YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON. She isn't the leader; the Prime Minister is. THE QUEEN DOESN'T DO ANYTHING. How can we put it any simpler? YOu still haven't even been able to give us one example of how the queen "leads" or "rules" in any way.

And yes, people do worship her. THey gather outside the palace just for a chance to see her. They buy cheesy commemerative plates with her face on, or videos of her golden jubilee. They buy all sorts of tacky merchandise, like replice crowns and spoons with the royal emblem on. They gather day after day to watch a guy with an oversized hat walk out of a large dog kennel and another one walk in.

Getting the picture yet?
    but i'll bet if you met her you'd be on bended knee.

I can promise you right now I wouldn't. I have no interest in meeting the queen. I hate how real celebrities have to line up and pretend they have. If that were me, I'd wanna be first in line at the buffet table, not standing in a row waiting for the queen to shake my hand, ask a question she doesn't give a shit about the answer to, then forget me by the time she moves onto the next person.

Like that Big Issue seller that put Bill Clinton in place. I wish everyone would do that to the queen then maybe she'd realise noone that matters gives a shit about her.
    She works very hard as a monarch, something which I don't think you really appreciate.

No, she doesn't. You're just sucked in to the pro-queeny propaganda, sucker.
    Oh, and of course, the majority of Britons certainly know what's best for the country in terms of international relations don't they. All they want to do is get lots of nice things from the goodies, and bomb the baddies.

Wrong, but anyway; "Lots of nice things" drives people to achieve. Fact.

Imagine wanting to "bomb the baddies". That's a crazy idea. Maybe we should have just let Hitler march right in here and BUST A CAP IN YO' QUEENY'S ASS!

Beside, the majority of people in the country deciding things is kinda how democracy works. Remember that? Democracy? Forget it, just go tell your grandparents theyshouldn't have bothered.
    Hmm.... Queen, royalty. Rich people - Richard Branson? Sainsbury Family? JK Rowling? Not royalty. Fail to see the connection here.

Fail to see the connection between what? The queen being rich, and David Beckham being rich? Hey, you were the one that brought up that the queen doesn't do crime. That's 'cause she doesn't need to. Rich people don't need to steal shit.

Anyway, look at one of the princes in line for the throne (I can't remember his name, the one that has a face like a horse and looks like he has ginger astro-turf on his head). He was caught smoking hash, and drinking in pubs when he was 17 :eek:

Not exactly legal behaviour for your precious royals, is it?
  • Options
    It is. It's called the war in Iraq. Which has been mentioned already, but with you being the queens Personal anus leech, you must have just conveniently forgotten all about that. Silly you.

Now agree with me as you said. The war in Iraq WAS a crime. FACT.

The war in Iraq was a crime. FACT. The Queen signed the decision to go to war. FACT. The Queen HAD to sign the documentation, because otherwise there would be a constitutional crisis, the entire basis of the state would be rethought, and she would be out of a job. However, in the case of an international trial, it would be the Prime Minister who is tried. Give me one good reason why you wouldn't do something to save your job if you weren't personally accountable because you didn't make the final decision.
  • Options
    Did you forget to look up "implications" in the dictionary? Yes.

I did not imply anything of the sort.
  • Options
    The war in Iraq was a crime. FACT. The Queen signed the decision to go to war. FACT. The Queen HAD to sign the documentation, because otherwise there would be a constitutional crisis, the entire basis of the state would be rethought, and she would be out of a job. However, in the case of an international trial, it would be the Prime Minister who is tried. Give me one good reason why you wouldn't do something to save your job if you weren't personally accountable because you didn't make the final decision.

LMFAO. Most contradictary thing ever.

So you mean, even though the queen is so moral and correct, it's ok to ruin peoples lives, damage an entire country, get countless people killed, send us "commoners" off to baghdad to be plowed down by suicide bombers, its ok for people like ken bigley to be treated like meat and have their heads sliced off, so that the queen can keep her job?

To be honest, i'd rather quit my job if it meant none of that shit happened.
  • Options
    No, not really. As far as i'm concerned, you don't interfere with what's always gone on for years without good reason. You don't have a good reason, and therefore, what I say is what i'm going to consider as going. QE is SE. You may think otherwise, that's your option.
    Don't have good reason? Ok, QE is too narrow a definiton, as is BBC English, Oxford English or whatever. These are all localised forms, and no bloody linguist would use QE over SE. Trust me.

SE is a [standard and says so in the name. It is used as a benchmark for grammar, lexis etc. So what if SE is QE? The term QE is outdated and old-fashioned, and the only reason SE came about is 1. because QE can't be used to apply to a weegie ned in Govan, and 2. SE is more inclusive than QE.

QE is only used as a benchmark for pompous, arrogant twits like yourself who think that because they speak 'QE' they are better than those who don't. Don't try and deny it, because you know it's the truth. People who try and put on better accents, who think their accents place them as socially superior, you are one of them.

Edited for paragraph breaks.
  • Options
    Do you ever get the feeling that everyones against you dr carter? :(

Thats because they fucking are :p
  • Options
    Don't have good reason? Ok, QE is too narrow a definiton, as is BBC English, Oxford English or whatever. These are all localised forms, and no bloody linguist would use QE over SE. Trust me. SE is a [standard and says so in the name. It is used as a benchmark for grammar, lexis etc. So what if SE is QE? The term QE is outdated and old-fashioned, and the only reason SE came about is 1. because QE can't be used to apply to a weegie ned in Govan, and 2. SE is more inclusive than QE. QE is only used as a benchmark for pompous, arrogant twits like yourself who think that because they speak 'QE' they are better than those who don't. Don't try and deny it, because you know it's the truth. People who try and put on better accents, who think their accents place them as socially superior, you are one of them.

You da man!

Today it's QE and SE, next stop - paragraphs!

;)
  • Options
    Shhh, I'm working on it.... :p
  • Options
    He seems to have quietened down...

Maybe he took in the fact that we were right...

Or maybe he's just racking up another post of lies and "queen's english"
  • Options
    He's probably down at his royalist shrine, sobbing over a plaster-cast efigy of the Queen...
  • Options
    He's probably down at his royalist shrine, sobbing over a plaster-cast efigy of the Queen...

Maybe he's engaging in his hourly rituals of kissing a picture of the queen's arse?
  • Options
    Who's online says:

dr_carter - Quoting Post in Thread Van Gogh.

Oh dear.
  • Options
    I thought that was just a constant ritual? Sorry, habit...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    So? Maybe you should put your faith in the nation to elect someone who they see as moral? Or maybe you think that should be left to the upper class?

why? the queen doesn't affect how you or i go about our lives. she just deals with all the ceremonial stuff and provides someone for us to send away to greet the king of so-and-so or the president of whatchamacallit... If she wasn't doing it, the Prime Minister would do it. At the expense of the taxpayer. He would also not be available to deal with the affairs of the nation. Why do we need to vote on things that don't actually affect our own lives? We didn't elect to have a millenium dome, and that fulfills no real national purpose and cost the taxpayer millions, why should the queen be any different in your eyes?
    She commans their respect because she's a queen? I think I already established most people realise that counts for jack shit in this country.

Why do we still have one then?
    Yeah, she's lost family members'. It's terrible God didn't make the Royal Family immortal and above all that dying stuff like us commoners are used to :(

don't take the piss. all i'm saying is that she's not really that different from you or i, and that she does suffer and work hard, it's not all a life of luxury.
    How do you know? If you were a bad person would you tell everyone about it? Do you think Hitler won over the German people by killing kittens and puppies infront of them?

I think that Hitler got into power without killing and murdering - isn't that a fair analysis?
    YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON. She isn't the leader; the Prime Minister is. THE QUEEN DOESN'T DO ANYTHING. How can we put it any simpler? YOu still haven't even been able to give us one example of how the queen "leads" or "rules" in any way.

The Queen goes on State visits, opens Parliament, takes an audience with the Prime Minister, attends several dinners given for external heads of state, makes several speeches a week... etc etc... It's not exactly the most important work, but someone has to do it. if not the queen, then the Prime Minister? and when does he therefore have time to manage the country?
    And yes, people do worship her. THey gather outside the palace just for a chance to see her. They buy cheesy commemerative plates with her face on, or videos of her golden jubilee. They buy all sorts of tacky merchandise, like replice crowns and spoons with the royal emblem on. They gather day after day to watch a guy with an oversized hat walk out of a large dog kennel and another one walk in.

That's not worship, that's interest. All people in the public eye are of great interest to others. It doesn't prove worship.
    Beside, the majority of people in the country deciding things is kinda how democracy works. Remember that? Democracy? Forget it, just go tell your grandparents theyshouldn't have bothered.

and precisely what bearing does that have on the queen? she doesn't affect the democratic process. she doesn't bother you. if she's not jetting around seeing people, hosting dinners and parties etc, someone would have to. it's all part of international diplomacy.
    Anyway, look at one of the princes in line for the throne (I can't remember his name, the one that has a face like a horse and looks like he has ginger astro-turf on his head). He was caught smoking hash, and drinking in pubs when he was 17 :eek:

Not exactly legal behaviour for your precious royals, is it?

I didn't say all royals are decent people. I'm saying the Queen is. Come Charles taking up the throne, i would see more of a case for a republic.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with being a royalist.
  • Options
    The Queen follows the recommendations of her government. I didn't say she has power, although she does in theory. She has a very important role though.

Has a very important role in doing what, exactly? Theoretically having power? Why didn't she theoretically stop an illegal war then? Theoretically, mind.
    Who would you like as head of state then?

Me. I would kick ass. No more bullshit, no more PC people. No more crazy wannabe-pirate Muslims telling kids to blow themselves up, no more pointless projects like £40,000 desks in the Scottish Parliament, no more shitty projects like the millenium dome, no more shit off pussy countries Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Iran and North Korea. Tactically nuke the entire Middle East. Tell Israel if they don't quit it we'll ruin their shit. Get Arnie into office in the US (seriously, what terrorist in their right mind is going to try and fuck up The Terminators country?).
    Give me one good reason why you wouldn't do something to save your job if you weren't personally accountable because you didn't make the final decision.

Ah, so she was quite right in fucking up an entire country, killing thousands, endangering the lives of our troops, pissing off Muslim extremists even more so they do all this shit that's going on right now etc. etc. all so she isn't out of a job?

Not very noble, queen-like, selfless, or any of the qualities you seemed to hold so dear to her, is it?
  • Options
    Don't have good reason? Ok, QE is too narrow a definiton, as is BBC English, Oxford English or whatever. These are all localised forms, and no bloody linguist would use QE over SE. Trust me.

SE is a [standard and says so in the name. It is used as a benchmark for grammar, lexis etc. So what if SE is QE? The term QE is outdated and old-fashioned, and the only reason SE came about is 1. because QE can't be used to apply to a weegie ned in Govan, and 2. SE is more inclusive than QE.

QE is only used as a benchmark for pompous, arrogant twits like yourself who think that because they speak 'QE' they are better than those who don't. Don't try and deny it, because you know it's the truth. People who try and put on better accents, who think their accents place them as socially superior, you are one of them.

Edited for paragraph breaks.

I am not socially superior to anyone. I have never pretended to be. What I am is very clear and precise.
    So QE is the same as SE. Why are you arguing about it being old-fashioned, and trying to find reasons why it's different, when it's the same thing under a different name?
  • Options

i don't have a photo or a cast of the Queen, nor do I worship false idols.
  • Options
    LMFAO. Most contradictary thing ever.

So you mean, even though the queen is so moral and correct, it's ok to ruin peoples lives, damage an entire country, get countless people killed, send us "commoners" off to baghdad to be plowed down by suicide bombers, its ok for people like ken bigley to be treated like meat and have their heads sliced off, so that the queen can keep her job?

To be honest, i'd rather quit my job if it meant none of that shit happened.

That's not OK. But it wasn't really her decision was it?
  • Options
    I am not socially superior to anyone. I have never pretended to be. What I am is very clear and precise.
    So QE is the same as SE. Why are you arguing about it being old-fashioned, and trying to find reasons why it's different, when it's the same thing under a different name?
    I've already highlighted the reasons for me arguing about it. Or can't you read?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Me. I would kick ass. No more bullshit, no more PC people. No more crazy wannabe-pirate Muslims telling kids to blow themselves up, no more pointless projects like £40,000 desks in the Scottish Parliament, no more shitty projects like the millenium dome, no more shit off pussy countries Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Iran and North Korea. Tactically nuke the entire Middle East. Tell Israel if they don't quit it we'll ruin their shit. Get Arnie into office in the US (seriously, what terrorist in their right mind is going to try and fuck up The Terminators country?).

That is precisely why we CAN'T have just anyone as head of state. What do you think is going to happen if we insult the Middle East? Do you think that the best way to run the world is to tactically murder millions of civilians? If you think the Queen was wrong to agree to sending our boys to war, you're worse than her.
  • Options
    That's not OK. But it wasn't really her decision was it?

Well if she has the power you say she does, then she did.

Hole. deepening. :nervous:
  • Options
    Well if she has the power you say she does, then she did.

Hole. deepening. :nervous:

She has theoretical power.