Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Van Gogh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you pronounce it correctly?

The English seem to refer to Van Goff

The Dutch refer to Van Goghhhhhhh, with a Scottish style roll of phlegm on the second g.

The Americans, weird as they are, seem to call him Van Go.

I don't know of any more ways of pronouncing it, nor do I know which is correct...

Comments

• Options
    goff.

not that it matters as he's not exactly going to care either way... ;)
  • Options
    I believe it's 'Go', seen as though that's how all the posh people/people on TV say it. Nevertheless, it should be 'Goff'.
  • Options
    van "go" me thinks, that's how the posh people i know pronounce it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    I believe it's 'Go', seen as though that's how all the posh people/people on TV say it. Nevertheless, it should be 'Goff'.

I've never actually heard anyone apart from Americans say 'Go'.
  • Options
    Yeah Van Goff. Yanks say Van Go. Coz they can't read or spell.
  • Options
    Since Van Gogh is Dutch, I would profer it like the Dutch do... Van Goghhhhhhh
  • Options
    Ahh, you mean pronounce it like you have phlegm in your thoat? Roger that!
  • Options
    It's Van Go. Silent 'gh'.

Morons.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    It's Van Go. Silent 'gh'. Morons.

If the Dutch pronounce the gh, then i'm guessing it's supposed to be in there.

Hmm, seeing as how you think everyone who doesn't say Van Go is a moron, how do you pronounce scone? do you say skon or s'cone'?
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    If the Dutch pronounce the gh, then i'm guessing it's supposed to be in there.

The Dutch are crazy though. Would you trust a country full of legalised drug-fuelled, nymphomaniacs?

People sure don't trust the US, where it seems they have one in charge. Infact, that reminds me. I'd like to apologise to President Bush for sending him that letter covered in LSD. Actually, that apology should really be directed to the people of Iraq.
    Hmm, seeing as how you think everyone who doesn't say Van Go is a moron, how do you pronounce scone? do you say skon or s'cone'?

Yeah I can see how the two are related. And when I say 'related' I really mean 'have nothing to do with each other what-so-ever'.

Anyway, it's 'skon'.
  • Options
    The Dutch are crazy though. Would you trust a country full of legalised drug-fuelled, nymphomaniacs?

People sure don't trust the US, where it seems they have one in charge. Infact, that reminds me. I'd like to apologise to President Bush for sending him that letter covered in LSD. Well, actually, that apology should really be directed to the people of Iraq.

Yeah I can see how the two are related. And when I say 'related' I really mean 'have nothing to do with each other what-so-ever'.

Anyway, it's 'skon'.

Well Van Gogh was Dutch - I think they'd know!

I wasn't intending for them to be related. I was hoping you'd select the incorrect way of saying scone so that I could call you a moron in return. Unfortunately, you have selected the correct way (which contrary to popular belief is the form adopted by Her Majesty and others) and therefore I am disappointed.
  • Options
    Well Van Gogh was Dutch - I think they'd know!

A vast majority of the art community I talk to (2 fat goth chicks) agree it's Van Go. I think they'd know. After all, they did major in a bullshit subject for eight years in a vain attempt to pretend to kid on to make people believe they're different, obscure and interesting.
    I was hoping you'd select the incorrect way of saying scone so that I could call you a moron in return. Unfortunately, you have selected the correct way (which contrary to popular belief is the form adopted by Her Majesty and others) and therefore I am disappointed.

I know what you were trying to do, but I'm a master of trickery like The Riddler, Houdini and Peter Andre's ability to get to number one rolled into one, so I was one step ahead of you! I really pronounce it "sk-wun" and pick the rasins out before eating them.

Besides, since when did what the queen thinks/has to say about anything matter to anyone?
  • Options
    I'd pronounce it Van Go... sounds better than Van goff
    goff - cough.... Go is better In my opinion anyways
  • Options
    A vast majority of the art community I talk to (2 fat goth chicks) agree it's Van Go. I think they'd know. After all, they did major in a bullshit subject for eight years in a vain attempt to pretend to kid on to make people believe they're different, obscure and interesting.

I know what you were trying to do, but I'm a master of trickery like The Riddler, Houdini and Peter Andre's ability to get to number one rolled into one, so I was one step ahead of you! I really pronounce it "sk-wun" and pick the rasins out before eating them.

Besides, since when did what the queen thinks/has to say about anything matter to anyone?

Nah, the art community have less say than the artist's own people, after all, his name is in their language.

One does presume that one is taught the Queen's English in schools today, doesn't one?
  • Options

One does presume that one is taught the Queen's English in schools today, doesn't one?

It's not the queens. Kids are taught real English that they can use in real situations, not this outdated Victorian-toff bullshit she seems to spout everytime I have the misfortune of my remote control batteries dying when I'm channel surfing and land on what I think is a re-run of Independence Day at the scene when the big saucer is hovering over the White House but the saucer turns out to be another one of the queens oversized novelty clown-hats and what I thought was the White House was really her hideous decomposing face.
  • Options
    It's not the queens. Kids are taught real English that they can use in real situations, not this outdated Victorian-toff bullshit she seems to spout everytime I have the misfortune of my remote control batteries dying when I'm channel surfing and land on what I think is a re-run of Independence Day at the scene when the big saucer is hovering over the White House but the saucer turns out to be another one of the queens oversized novelty clown-hats and what I thought was the White House was really her hideous decomposing face.

Have you like, adopted a new dramatic writing-technique which doesn't use full stops? You did it on the other thread too, I can't read what you have to say happily. Go back to school. ;<
  • Options

Correct English is the Queen's English. That's what it's called. The correct use of grammar, punctuation and the ideal way to speak. The dig about the Queen was not called for and I find it gravely offensive.
    Define what the difference is between real English and the Queen's English, because as far as i'm aware, one can use the Queen's English in every situation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Have you like, adopted a new dramatic writing-technique which doesn't use full stops? You did it on the other thread too, I can't read what you have to say happily. Go back to school. ;<

That's the point. It's meant to read like an excited kid trying to get it all out as if his life depended on it.

Dipshit.
    Correct English is the Queen's English. That's what it's called. The correct use of grammar, punctuation and the ideal way to speak.

Noone speaks like that though. If you were to go around refering to yourself as 'one' I'd have to adpot the policy of reducing taxes and kicking your ass.
    The dig about the Queen was not called for and I find it gravely offensive.

You're not one of those fucking losers who has posters of Princess Diana on their wall and thinks the queen's a national asset, and actually think they serve a purpose are you? How can you find it offensive anyway? Are you the queen? Are you related to the queen? Hell, even if you were the queen you shouldn't find it offensive unless you're one of those politically correct free-speech Nazi's that seem to be trying to take over and control my thoughts in an attempt to stop me and soon the nation saying anything on the off-chance they offend by putting SOMA in my toothpaste. That's why I don't brush anymore btw, but my dental hygine's aside the point. I just realised I've set myself up for a queen mum teeth joke there but I'll let it slide 'cause I guess they don't look so out of place with the rest of her now.
    Define what the difference is between real English and the Queen's English, because as far as i'm aware, one can use the Queen's English in every situation.

Queen's English is what royalty learn so they can talk to each other in a monotone drone so they can pretend they're better than the rest of the country. You know, the rest of the country being the ones without their heads up their asses. These people speak real English, in which real people are able to talk to each other whilst keeping a straight face and not sound like they're practising for an interview as the next Paul "My life has no meaning aside from kissing royalties ass and having an unhealthy obsession with them" Burrell.

Note: Stop refering to yourself as 'one'. It makes you sound like a pretentious asshole.
  • Options
    it's blatantly 'goff' there's a reason the 2 extra letters are there ;):p :rolleyes: :p;) :rolleyes:

(i'm taking the piss obviously).
  • Options
    Noone speaks like that though. If you were to go around refering to yourself as 'one' I'd have to adpot the policy of reducing taxes and kicking your ass.

No-one speaks like that, do they? How interesting - I must be no-one then.
    You're not one of those fucking losers who has posters of Princess Diana on their wall and thinks the queen's a national asset, and actually think they serve a purpose are you? How can you find it offensive anyway? Are you the queen? Are you related to the queen? Hell, even if you were the queen you shouldn't find it offensive unless you're one of those politically correct free-speech Nazi's that seem to be trying to take over and control my thoughts in an attempt to stop me and soon the nation saying anything on the off-chance they offend by putting SOMA in my toothpaste. That's why I don't brush anymore btw, but my dental hygine's aside the point. I just realised I've set myself up for a queen mum teeth joke there but I'll let it slide 'cause I guess they don't look so out of place with the rest of her now.

This isn't a debate about royalty, but as you've decided to make it that, yes, the Queen is a national asset. The monarchy is important as a figurehead for the nation. Consider the alternative. A president? Look at other presidents. Jacques Chirac. Convicted Criminal. Bill Clinton. Adulterer. George W. Bush. War-mongering moron. I'll stick with someone who has never been anything but the perfect decent lady, a woman who commands respect and in return delivers much joy to all those whom she visits, and who is someone whom all Britons should look up to as a shining moral example. You don't see the Queen sleeping around, committing crimes or the like. It doesn't really matter how intelligent she is either, because there are plenty of politicians to actually make the decisions.
    Queen's English is what royalty learn so they can talk to each other in a monotone drone so they can pretend they're better than the rest of the country. You know, the rest of the country being the ones without their heads up their asses. These people speak real English, in which real people are able to talk to each other whilst keeping a straight face and not sound like they're practising for an interview as the next Paul "My life has no meaning aside from kissing royalties ass and having an unhealthy obsession with them" Burrell.

Note: Stop refering to yourself as 'one'. It makes you sound like a pretentious asshole.

Rubbish. Queen's English is the generic term for the correct use of grammar. It has nothing to do with the way the royalty speak. The royal speech pattern is governed by a protocol of whom is addressed as what, which is IN the Queen's English, but is completely different from it. The manner in which they speak is not pretentious, but clear, precise and easily audible.
  • Options
    Correct English is the Queen's English. That's what it's called. The correct use of grammar, punctuation and the ideal way to speak.
    Well, the 'Queen's English' or 'BBC English' are just names, that's all. The term I think you're looking for is Standard English, which is the moidel set out in grammar books, dictionaries etc etc. The queen's accent on the other hand is RP (Received Pronunciation), although there is some debate about that among linguists. So, the 'Queen's English' is no better way to talk than 'Glaswegian English', although you quite plainly seem to think so.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    Well, the 'Queen's English' or 'BBC English' are just names, that's all. The term I think you're looking for is Standard English, which is the moidel set out in grammar books, dictionaries etc etc. The queen's accent on the other hand is RP (Received Pronunciation), although there is some debate about that among linguists. So, the 'Queen's English' is no better way to talk than 'Glaswegian English', although you quite plainly seem to think so.

The Queen's English is Standard English. I am making no comment on the manner in which the queen speaks, although I speak in a similar manner and never have any trouble being understood by anyone, anywhere, compared with some dialects which are very difficult to comprehend. I am referring to the Queen's English as a grammatical model, not as a regional accent. You can speak with a Glaswegian accent all you want, and I won't think any less of you, as long what you say actually makes grammatical sense.
  • Options
    That's the point. It's meant to read like an excited kid trying to get it all out as if his life depended on it.

Dipshit.

Yeh, I kinda guessed that, if "have you adopted a writing technique" wasn't giving it away too much. Also, you suck at it. Leave it to people without Down syndrome.
  • Options
    I am referring to the Queen's English as a grammatical model,
    No, see, it's not. Standard English is the grammatical model. Anything that isn't standard English is non-standard English, that's how linguists use the terms. THis only applies to grammar and lexis. The accent is separate. Queen's English is just an abstraction, like BBC English, or Cockney or whatever. The Queen speaks Standard English with an RP accent.
    You can speak with a Glaswegian accent all you want, and I won't think any less of you, as long what you say actually makes grammatical sense.
    Right, so if I saw, 'I went and done this yesterday', you won't have a clue what I'm talking about? God, I hate these prescriptive types....
  • Options
    Note to self: Remember that dr. carter was being serious with his references to himself as "one", and not joking as i thought.

Right carter, stop drilling out your opinions on american presidents. Bill Clinton was actually a fairly quality president, and the way you used "adulterer" as if it justified your absolutely shit and unfounded arguments actually made me want to roll on the floor and wet myself with mirth.

As TKOG said, queen's English is an invented term for people like you to use as if it actually makes people think you're amazingly intelligent. The queen serves little purpose other than to give the occasional speech to remind us that she hasn't died yet.

I mean, in all honesty, how can you think the queen actually serves a purpose other than being a waste of taxpayers' money?
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    No, see, it's not. Standard English is the grammatical model. Anything that isn't standard English is non-standard English, that's how linguists use the terms. THis only applies to grammar and lexis. The accent is separate. Queen's English is just an abstraction, like BBC English, or Cockney or whatever. The Queen speaks Standard English with an RP accent.

Right, so if I saw, 'I went and done this yesterday', you won't have a clue what I'm talking about? God, I hate these prescriptive types....

I have already stated that the Queen's English is not an accent. Why can't you read?
    Queen's English IS Standard English - as I have tried to explain, whilst linguists may refer to it as Standard English, the same model is also referred to as Queen's English.

I would be able to understand what you're talking about, however I would correct you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    Note to self: Remember that dr. carter was being serious with his references to himself as "one", and not joking as i thought.

Right carter, stop drilling out your opinions on american presidents. Bill Clinton was actually a fairly quality president, and the way you used "adulterer" as if it justified your absolutely shit and unfounded arguments actually made me want to roll on the floor and wet myself with mirth.

As TKOG said, queen's English is an invented term for people like you to use as if it actually makes people think you're amazingly intelligent. The queen serves little purpose other than to give the occasional speech to remind us that she hasn't died yet.

I mean, in all honesty, how can you think the queen actually serves a purpose other than being a waste of taxpayers' money?

I didn't make this into an argument about the merits of the Queen as opposed to a president. The statement I was making, if you'd be so kind as to learn to read, was that the Queen has never been involved in anything like adultery or criminal acts, as so many presidents have. I agree that Bill Clinton was an excellent president, but I do believe that a Head of State should be a role model for his or her people, and adultery is not exactly the greatest way to achieve this.

We have to have a Head of State. Would you prefer one that doesn't do anything out of order and is the pinnacle of decency and morality, or someone in the model of Nixon, Chirac etc...?
  • Options
    Anyone who speaks like the queen should be chased by a large gang of garden tool wielding peasants and then ultimately beaten and left at the side of a road to regain consciousness.
  • Options
    Ffs...

Look, linguists don't, as a rule, refer to proper English as 'the Queen's English', it's Standard English. Stadard English (SE) applies to the gramamr and lexis (vocabulary) that a speaker would use. It does not apply to accent.
    have already stated that the Queen's English is not an accent

But you also said at the beginning of this

'the ideal way to speak' is the part I would like to draw your attention to. This applies to accent, so you've contradicted yourself.
    Queen's English IS Standard English - as I have tried to explain, whilst linguists may refer to it as Standard English, the same model is also referred to as Queen's English.

No, it's not, they are totally different. Queen's English applies to the way the queen talks. Standard English does not. I can speak SE with a Scottish accent, or an Irish accent or whatever. QE and SE are not the same thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    Anyone who speaks like the queen should be chased by a large gang of garden tool wielding peasants and then ultimately beaten and left at the side of a road to regain consciousness.

Hugh Grant speaks in a very similar manner.
    As does Colin Firth, Ian McKellen, Tony Blair - should all of these be beaten? Should I be beaten because I speak exactly, clearly and precisely without a regional dialect, and everyone can understand me?