Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Van Gogh

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    I didn't make this into an argument about the merits of the Queen as opposed to a president. The statement I was making, if you'd be so kind as to learn to read, was that the Queen has never been involved in anything like adultery or criminal acts, as so many presidents have. I agree that Bill Clinton was an excellent president, but I do believe that a Head of State should be a role model for his or her people, and adultery is not exactly the greatest way to achieve this.

Queen's English was actually invented by the government in the 1980s to refer to Standard English and the fact that they wanted it taught in all schools, as part of the National Curriculum.

We have to have a Head of State. Would you prefer one that doesn't do anything out of order and is the pinnacle of decency and morality, or someone in the model of Nixon, Chirac etc...?

Firstly, i think you've actually got a few million screws loose. How in god's name can you say the queen has never broken a law? have you followed her around for her whole horrendously long life and constantly watched her? At one point or another, she'll have forgotten to put a seatbelt on or such thing.

We don't have to have a head of state. Thats basic sociology, fool.

I'd rather have someone who was actually representational of the masses rather than someone who represents everything that we really, really aren't.

And yes, all the people you mentioned should be beaten by aformentioned peasant lynch mob.
  • Options
    No-one speaks like that, do they? How interesting - I must be no-one then.

Yeaaah that was kinda the point I was getting at.

Seriously, if you refer to yourself as 'one' at school you might as well be fat, play with Pokemon trading cards at break and call the teacher "Mum".
    This isn't a debate about royalty, but as you've decided to make it that, yes, the Queen is a national asset. The monarchy is important as a figurehead for the nation. Consider the alternative. A president?

Um, why not? What does the queen actually do anyway? Not a damn thing. Tony Blair's the one with the power. The "power" the queen has is a technicality and serves no purpose.
    Look at other presidents. Jacques Chirac. Convicted Criminal. Bill Clinton. Adulterer. George W. Bush. War-mongering moron.

Oh yeah, 'cause being appointed the title "President" suddenly turns you into a criminal, adulterer or a "war-monger". Tony Blair's imperfections aside, I'm sure if he was appointed president he'd turn out exactly the same, and it's nothing to do with the individual preson.
    I'll stick with someone who has never been anything but the perfect decent lady, a woman who commands respect and in return delivers much joy to all those whom she visits

"Commands" respect of the ass-licking people I was just talking about. Anyone who can think for themselves and doesn't get caught up in the "celebrity" worshipping like so many seem to do can see she's a fraud. She doesn't do anything. She's a normal person, just with a shitload more things than the rest of us that she neither deserves nor has worked for.

And joy? Give me a break. If seeing a "celebrity" brings you joy you lead a fucking pathetic existence.
    and who is someone whom all Britons should look up to as a shining moral example.

Shining moral example my ass. She doesn't do anything. She just sits on her ass all day, living it up and occasionally trying to justify her pathetic existance by buying another hideously bright outfit and waving to a few hundred brain-dead zombies like you, whose one goal in life is to be waved at by someone who couldn't give a shit about them, that gather to see her then shit themselves with the excitement. She's no better than a ned committing benefit fraud.

Anyway, in countless surveys the majority of Britons admit there's no need for a royal family, beside tourist purposes.
    You don't see the Queen committing crimes

Yeah, as opposed to seeing all those other rich people committing bank robberies and muggings :rolleyes:
    It doesn't really matter how intelligent she is either, because there are plenty of politicians to actually make the decisions.

Oh, so now you're admitting she does fuck all and serves no purpose...
    Rubbish. Queen's English is the generic term for the correct use of grammar.

See King_of_Glasgow's post kthx.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Yeh, I kinda guessed that, if "have you adopted a writing technique" wasn't giving it away too much. Also, you suck at it. Leave it to people without Down syndrome.

Ever since you first came on IRC you've started to act like me. Stop it - it's very annoying :(
  • Options
    Oh, and for the record, i can understand 99% of people who speak english - american, scottish, irish, whatever. Accent and dialect is what makes this country diverse; speaking like a drone makes you look like someone you're not. Unless you are a pompous fool who thinks you're better than everyone and amazingly upper class?
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    Ffs...

Look, linguists don't, as a rule, refer to proper English as 'the Queen's English', it's Standard English. Stadard English (SE) applies to the gramamr and lexis (vocabulary) that a speaker would use. It does not apply to accent.

'the ideal way to speak' is the part I would like to draw your attention to. This applies to accent, so you've contradicted yourself.

No, it's not, they are totally different. Queen's English applies to the way the queen talks. Standard English does not. I can speak SE with a Scottish accent, or an Irish accent or whatever. QE and SE are not the same thing.

I know linguists don't refer to proper English as the Queen's English, and I am not saying that grammar and lexis has anything to do with accent, that's a separate issue. I am saying that the Queen's English doesn't refer to her accent, but to the accepted usage of grammar and lexis, as you so rightly said. One can refer to the Queen's English as Standard English, and vice versa. Referring to it as SE is just another protocol.

The 'ideal way to speak' was meant to generalise good grammar, not to make any reference to accent.

Queen's English does not apply to the way the Queen talks, merely the style of English that she uses. One can also speak QE with a Scottish accent, and as long as correct grammar and lexis is used - it's QE!
  • Options
    Hugh Grant speaks in a very similar manner.

Name me one person that Hugh Grant doesn't annoy the shit out of.
  • Options
    I know linguists don't refer to proper English as the Queen's English, and I am not saying that grammar and lexis has anything to do with accent, that's a separate issue. I am saying that the Queen's English doesn't refer to her accent, but to the accepted usage of grammar and lexis, as you so rightly said. One can refer to the Queen's English as Standard English, and vice versa. Referring to it as SE is just another protocol.

The 'ideal way to speak' was meant to generalise good grammar, not to make any reference to accent.

Queen's English does not apply to the way the Queen talks, merely the style of English that she uses. One can also speak QE with a Scottish accent, and as long as correct grammar and lexis is used - it's QE!

Are you actually even upper class, or just delusional? :confused:
  • Options
    What is now refered to as Standard English has historically and up until recently been refered to as the King, or Queen's English. It has nothing to do with accent.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    Firstly, i think you've actually got a few million screws loose. How in god's name can you say the queen has never broken a law? have you followed her around for her whole horrendously long life and constantly watched her? At one point or another, she'll have forgotten to put a seatbelt on or such thing.

We don't have to have a head of state. Thats basic sociology, fool.

I'd rather have someone who was actually representational of the masses rather than someone who represents everything that we really, really aren't.

And yes, all the people you mentioned should be beaten by aformentioned peasant lynch mob.

Have you ever broken a law? Of course. Has the Queen ever broken a law? No doubt. Intentionally? Definitely not. Was it a vitally important law that changes the way Britain is perceived as a nation in the global sense? Nope. Therein lies the difference.

What's the alternative to a head of state then? Give me one good example.

You'd rather have someone who speaks and looks like David Beckham as a head of state would you? He's pretty representational of the masses.
  • Options
    You'd rather have someone who speaks and looks like David Beckham as a head of state would you? He's pretty representational of the masses.

no he's not, he's a poof shagging a skinny man with plastic tits. :rolleyes:
  • Options

I never ever said that Queen's English refers to grammar and lexis, SE does!!! Imo, the only thing QE applies to is to the way the queen talks, nothing more, nothing less. Only her. And I couldn't talk QE with a Scottish accent, because QE is just an abstraction!! One cannot talk of QE and SE as one and the same thing. I think you're getting mixed up with the way she talks, so an excerpt from my basic phonetics book.

'RP is sometimes described, quite inaccurately, as Standard English or Queen's English or Oxford English or BBC English. These terms refer to the grammar, vocabulary and spelling of a the language. RP is only an accent, a way of pronouncing English.'

Yes, I realise that they do use QE and SE as interchangable, but I disagree. QE seems to be a very elitist mindset, and I perfer using SE, since it makes no judgement on the value of the speaker.
  • Options
    Have you ever broken a law? Of course. Has the Queen ever broken a law? No doubt. Intentionally? Definitely not. Was it a vitally important law that changes the way Britain is perceived as a nation in the global sense? Nope. Therein lies the difference.

What's the alternative to a head of state then? Give me one good example.

A good representative of the state would probably be your average person who has actually been out and lived in Britain, grown up in it and not just spent their life in a fuckoff palace and private schools full of like minded delusional pratts. David Beckham is not representational of the masses, hes in a minority. The queen hasn't lived in England, she's lived in her own little tax fuelled world, making occasional visits to schools where she waves a lot.

How can you possibly think the queen represents any single person other than you and other wannabes in this country? You have to bear in mind that the way she speaks doesn't make her seem intelligent whatsoever.

A law is a law. She supposedly has some vague authority to make them, so yes, it does matter if she breaks them.
  • Options
    Has the Queen ever broken a law? No doubt. Intentionally? Definitely not.

If the queen has this power that you seem to think she has, she broke a law when she entered into an illegal war with Iraq.

And that was only a while ago, fuck know's what else the old dear's been up to over the years!

Anyway, look at the way previous monarchs have handled thing's. Ordering the invasion and occupation of lands, the murdering of their peoples' etc. etc. The only reason the current queen is the first one to do any different, it because it simply wouldn't be tolerated in todays world.

Yeah, 'cause the masses are famous, multi-millionaire, world-class footballers who millions of girls all over the world fancy.

Fuckwit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Um, why not? What does the queen actually do anyway? Not a damn thing. Tony Blair's the one with the power. The "power" the queen has is a technicality and serves no purpose.

the queen and her family spend a vast amount of time on attending dinners, foreign visits, ceremonial occasions, therefore they leave the cabinet more free to conduct the business of government without having diplomatic and social obligations to attend to.
    Oh yeah, 'cause being appointed the title "President" suddenly turns you into a criminal, adulterer or a "war-monger". Tony Blair's imperfections aside, I'm sure if he was appointed president he'd turn out exactly the same, and it's nothing to do with the individual preson.

Once again, you've completely missed the point. I'm not saying a President will automatically commit crimes, i'm saying that the Queen has not and will not. This makes her a very decent person, and very suitable to represent the nation abroad.
    "Commands" respect of the ass-licking people I was just talking about. Anyone who can think for themselves and doesn't get caught up in the "celebrity" worshipping like so many seem to do can see she's a fraud. She doesn't do anything. She's a normal person, just with a shitload more things than the rest of us that she neither deserves nor has worked for.

And joy? Give me a break. If seeing a "celebrity" brings you joy you lead a fucking pathetic existence.

She commands the respect of all whom she meets, because she is a queen and has a great history of rule in her family, because she has suffered like us all in some way, and because she is not a bad person. The queen is not a celebrity. She is a leader. She is not a fraud, and people do not worship her. She works a damn sight harder than some people. You can say she's just a fraud all you like, but i'll bet if you met her you'd be on bended knee.
    Shining moral example my ass. She doesn't do anything. She just sits on her ass all day, living it up and occasionally trying to justify her pathetic existance by buying another hideously bright outfit and waving to a few hundred brain-dead zombies like you, whose one goal in life is to be waved at by someone who couldn't give a shit about them, that gather to see her then shit themselves with the excitement. She's no better than a ned committing benefit fraud.

Anyway, in countless surveys the majority of Britons admit there's no need for a royal family, beside tourist purposes.

She works very hard as a monarch, something which I don't think you really appreciate.

Oh, and of course, the majority of Britons certainly know what's best for the country in terms of international relations don't they. All they want to do is get lots of nice things from the goodies, and bomb the baddies.
    Yeah, as opposed to seeing all those other rich people committing bank robberies and muggings :rolleyes:

Hmm.... Queen, royalty. Rich people - Richard Branson? Sainsbury Family? JK Rowling? Not royalty. Fail to see the connection here.
  • Options
    I never ever said that Queen's English refers to grammar and lexis, SE does!!! Imo, the only thing QE applies to is to the way the queen talks, nothing more, nothing less. Only her. And I couldn't talk QE with a Scottish accent, because QE is just an abstraction!! One cannot talk of QE and SE as one and the same thing. I think you're getting mixed up with the way she talks, so an excerpt from my basic phonetics book.

'RP is sometimes described, quite inaccurately, as Standard English or Queen's English or Oxford English or BBC English. These terms refer to the grammar, vocabulary and spelling of a the language. RP is only an accent, a way of pronouncing English.'

Yes, I realise that they do use QE and SE as interchangable, but I disagree. QE seems to be a very elitist mindset, and I perfer using SE, since it makes no judgement on the value of the speaker.

Perhaps you'd better read your phonetics book again. It makes no connection between RP and Queen's English.

There is no connection between RP and QE, QE (or KE) is SE. It is the standard for grammar and lexis in English. They are one and the same. In bygone days, SE didn't exist. It was called QE. SE is a politically correct title for the same thing.

How does QE make a judgement on the value of the speaker? It doesn't say 'the speaker of QE is royalty', it simply means 'the speaker of QE knows how to use English correctly'.
  • Options
    A good representative of the state would probably be your average person who has actually been out and lived in Britain, grown up in it and not just spent their life in a fuckoff palace and private schools full of like minded delusional pratts. David Beckham is not representational of the masses, hes in a minority. The queen hasn't lived in England, she's lived in her own little tax fuelled world, making occasional visits to schools where she waves a lot.

How can you possibly think the queen represents any single person other than you and other wannabes in this country? You have to bear in mind that the way she speaks doesn't make her seem intelligent whatsoever.

A law is a law. She supposedly has some vague authority to make them, so yes, it does matter if she breaks them.

Well who would you like to see as your head of state then?

Would you prefer to see the Queen of the Netherlands taken out the Red Lion with Joe Smith from number 20, have her arse fondled and him say 'have another one love'?

Everyone breaks laws, mostly by accident. You cannot seriously say that the Queen will go out and intend to break the law one day.
  • Options
    the queen and her family spend a vast amount of time on attending dinners, foreign visits, ceremonial occasions, therefore they leave the cabinet more free to conduct the business of government without having diplomatic and social obligations to attend to.

Wow, so you mean they have to go out, have free, luxurious and exquisite dinners? And holidays? And she gets paid to talk about the times with her family? I see what you mean now, what a hard life she leads :(
    Once again, you've completely missed the point. I'm not saying a President will automatically commit crimes, i'm saying that the Queen has not and will not. This makes her a very decent person, and very suitable to represent the nation abroad.

Then you've just rephrased it so you're even more wrong. You admitted yourself the queen has commited crimes. Stop changing your tune.

She commands the respect of all whom she meets, because she is a queen and has a great history of rule in her family, because she has suffered like us all in some way, and because she is not a bad person. The queen is not a celebrity. She is a leader. She is not a fraud, and people do not worship her. She works a damn sight harder than some people. You can say she's just a fraud all you like, but i'll bet if you met her you'd be on bended knee.

How has she suffered like us? i mean what the fuck. has she ever got into a fight, had major family problems, fallen out of trees and broken bones, been through friends and relatives having major mental problems, etc? No. She just sits on her arse all day thinking about what the next best thing she should spend out hard earned money on is.
    She works very hard as a monarch, something which I don't think you really appreciate.
    Maybe if you justify that, someone might actually reply to it :)
    Oh, and of course, the majority of Britons certainly know what's best for the country in terms of international relations don't they. All they want to do is get lots of nice things from the goodies, and bomb the baddies.

lmao wtf. You're such a patronising ass. You seem to think you're actually intelligent, while actually pushing yourself further and further away from that image with every key you press. The queen doesn't actually know any better than us. Just because shes the queen does not make her intelligent. In fact, i don't think i've ever heard her say anything intelligent ever.
    Hmm.... Queen, royalty. Rich people - Richard Branson? Sainsbury Family? JK Rowling? Not royalty. Fail to see the connection here. [/B]

Change the record.
  • Options
    If the queen has this power that you seem to think she has, she broke a law when she entered into an illegal war with Iraq.

And that was only a while ago, fuck know's what else the old dear's been up to over the years!

Anyway, look at the way previous monarchs have handled thing's. Ordering the invasion and occupation of lands, the murdering of their peoples' etc. etc. The only reason the current queen is the first one to do any different, it because it simply wouldn't be tolerated in todays world.

Yeah, 'cause the masses are famous, multi-millionaire, world-class footballers who millions of girls all over the world fancy.

Fuckwit.

The Queen follows the recommendations of her government. I didn't say she has power, although she does in theory. She has a very important role though.

The Queen does what is morally and socially correct, which is more than you can ask of any other head of state.

Who would you like as head of state then?
  • Options
    Well who would you like to see as your head of state then?

Would you prefer to see the Queen of the Netherlands taken out the Red Lion with Joe Smith from number 20, have her arse fondled and him say 'have another one love'?

Everyone breaks laws, mostly by accident. You cannot seriously say that the Queen will go out and intend to break the law one day.

And you're implying that most of us do?

pompous twat.

Go back to hypothetics school, i really can't even be arsed starting on that one.
  • Options
    Are you actually even upper class, or just delusional? :confused:

how is that relevant?
  • Options
    And you're implying that most of us do?

pompous twat.

Go back to hypothetics school, i really can't even be arsed starting on that one.

Clearly you're inclined to just insult without considering what i've written.

I'm not saying that most people intentionally commit crimes, i'm saying that some Presidents have, however the Queen has not. What is difficult about this to understand?
  • Options
    I am actually gonna give up in a moment.
    Perhaps you'd better read your phonetics book again. It makes no connection between RP and Queen's English.

Um, yes it does, that there is a connection. People who speak QE speak with an RP accent. You cannot speak QE with a 'provincial' accent. You speak SE with an accent.
    There is no connection between RP and QE, QE (or KE) is SE. It is the standard for grammar and lexis in English. They are one and the same. In bygone days, SE didn't exist. It was called QE. SE is a politically correct title for the same thing.

There is a connection between the two, see above. SE has always existed... Even though it might have been called QE, but now, imo, they are different things. So what if it's politically correct.
    How does QE make a judgement on the value of the speaker? It doesn't say 'the speaker of QE is royalty', it simply means 'the speaker of QE knows how to use English correctly'.

It does make a judgement. It means they are middle/upper class, posh, wanna-be's. SE doesn't carry the same connotation.
  • Options
    Ever since you first came on IRC you've started to act like me. Stop it - it's very annoying :(

Blame Maddox.
  • Options
    Clearly you're inclined to just insult without considering what i've written.

I'm not saying that most people intentionally commit crimes, i'm saying that some Presidents have, however the Queen has not. What is difficult about this to understand?

Clearly, you're just inclined to revert the point away in an effort to get away from your weak argument.

You're implying that normal people are imperfect yet the queen is the shining star of all that is perfect in the world. When actually she smells just as much of piss as the next archaically old woman.

I ask again: how do you know that the queen has not? You're assuming. Difference. Basic thinking :)
  • Options
    how is that relevant?

Due to the fact that you're trying to make yourself seem better than us in some way, and you must have some kind of justification - no person without mental problems or a wad of cash would try to pull that one.
  • Options
    I am actually gonna give up in a moment.

good...
    Um, yes it does, that there is a connection. People who speak QE speak with an RP accent. You cannot speak QE with a 'provincial' accent. You speak SE with an accent.

You do not have to speak QE with an RP accent. QE is SE.
    There is a connection between the two, see above. SE has always existed... Even though it might have been called QE, but now, imo, they are different things. So what if it's politically correct.

There is no difference, they are one and the same thing.
    It does make a judgement. It means they are middle/upper class, posh, wanna-be's. SE doesn't carry the same connotation.

Hmm.... I don't think so personally, but there's nothing really to argue about considering they're one and the same, it's up to the individual to decide which to use.
  • Options
    Dr Carter, you're wrong. Get over it.
  • Options
    Clearly, you're just inclined to revert the point away in an effort to get away from your weak argument.

You're implying that normal people are imperfect yet the queen is the shining star of all that is perfect in the world. When actually she smells just as much of piss as the next archaically old woman.

I ask again: how do you know that the queen has not? You're assuming. Difference. Basic thinking :)

If the Queen had committed a crime, it would be all over the newspapers, especially the Sun, because i'm sure some little git who was sacked from the household would sell the story. You prove to me that she has committed a serious enough crime and i'll agree with you.
  • Options
    Due to the fact that you're trying to make yourself seem better than us in some way, and you must have some kind of justification - no person without mental problems or a wad of cash would try to pull that one.

Did I say that I am any better than you or anyone else? No.
  • Options
    Dr Carter, you're wrong. Get over it.

Note that the only response to my argument is 'you're wrong'.