Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Convicted criminal wins the lottery

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by superfly
    my point is, if he hadnt been on weekend release (and we can argue about whether he should or not forever), and therefore not won £7m, would people be queueing up to sue him? no.

may have misread but didnt someone say he got locked up in '89 or something? so people waited 15 years and then as soon as something good happens to the guy, they want to take it away from him? sorry but thats bollocks. dont get me wrong, i aint defending him or what he's done, but i just think this media witch-hunt is pathetic. every week its something new. :rolleyes:

Rapists don't really deserve to have nice things happen to them do they? If he hadn't won £7m would there be any point in sueing him? What would you get for your trouble?
  • Options
    no, theyre the scum of the earth, and its a sorry twist of fate that the guy won.

sueing him cos he's a rapist, that's ok. at the time though, not 15 years later.

sueing him just cos he's got a bit of money now? thats not right. it just shouldnt work like that.
  • Options
    There wouldnt be much pointin suing him, all he would have to do is leg it to another country to live like a king.
  • Options
    Originally posted by superfly
    no, theyre the scum of the earth, and its a sorry twist of fate that the guy won.

sueing him cos he's a rapist, that's ok. at the time though, not 15 years later.

sueing him just cos he's got a bit of money now? thats not right. it just shouldnt work like that.

Maybe not, but it does doesn't it?

Originally posted by minimi38
    There wouldnt be much pointin suing him, all he would have to do is leg it to another country to live like a king.

Wanker.
  • Options
    What?
  • Options
    That he can piss off and live like a king after the devastation that he has left.

I didn't mean that you are a wanker.
  • Options
    I read your www. link at the bottom of your sig, whereabouts in SE england you from?
  • Options
    err, when I'm not at uni, Buckinhamshire
  • Options
    There is the Profits of Crime Act to take away assets if they are gained by crime. Well, no, its if a criminal can not prove they were inocent. Inocent till proven guilty? No.

But, this win obviously wasnt gained by crime.

Its unfortunate, but legally there nothing to be done.
  • Options
    Good article, thanks Hobbs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Good article, thanks Hobbs.

it certainly puts some perspective on the issue
  • Options
    Interesting stuff. Some of the stories I have heard from someone I know in a US max security jail about the treatment of sex offenders there are beyond grim.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Interesting stuff. Some of the stories I have heard from someone I know in a US max security jail about the treatment of sex offenders there are beyond grim.

in my experience of Dartmoor prsion (providing training to Drugs workers and prisioners, before you ask) even with a VP unit or SOTP, if you are a sex offender it is still grim, not that it should be fun, but, basic human rights just disappear and that is wrong
  • Options
    A very good article indeed.

And a plea to young Luke, who believes paedophiles should be tortured by the State: read through the article and give us your thoughts please.

While you're at it you could even comment on the wonderful Michael Howard, who is happy campaigning for more prisons and more prisoners...
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    does it ever make you angrey thinking of what peadophiles do to 6 week old kids... it brings tears to my eyes.
    And torturing sex offenders is going to solve what exactly?

Would you torture them yourself? And if not, why?

excaty, howard has got it. more prisons for the prisnors who are still on the streets that are getting away with it as we have no room for them!

mate... his comments has given the conservatives a lot of public support.
    That very simplistic approach simply doesn't work.

Britain has a ridiculously high prison population. It is very clear that in many cases, prison does NOT work. If we want to prevent crime we have to look at alternatives, not at jailing young and vulnerable people who end up hanging themselves in jail because of the horrendous conditions they're in.

Luckily anyway the demented Dracula-look-alike hasn't got a chance in hell of winning the election... though for what's worth Blair and fucking Blunkett ain't much better.
  • Options
    I am not sure... maybe if they did it to my family I would, it's horrific what they do... I swear you try and justifly everything thats bad!
    For the millionth time, DO NOT put words into my mouth.

Please show me where and when have I justified paedophilia.

Be careful with what you say mate.

And you're the one justifying something bad, namely the torturing of others.
    whats your answr to peadophiles?
    Er.. jail them?
    firstly I bet half of the prison population are young... national service... it a load of good... I bet that will at leats half of the population...

the rest left would be rapists, murders, peadophiles etc you know the real criminals...

then we could get the rest of the peados etc on the streets still and throw them in jail where they belong.[/quote][/b] You seem to have the impression that Britain is overrun with hundreds of thousands of paedophiles lurking in every corner.

A sense of proportion please!
    when it comes to crime the uk is very much right wing.....

looks as though the Lib Dems will flaw the next election hands down

lmao
    You do know that the Tories don't have a chance in hell of winning the next election don't you?

Christ, even they admit as much...
  • Options
    lol, yeah I am spitting image as Saddam Hussien.
    What on earth are you on about now for fuck's sake?

I'll ask again: where have I justified paedophilia? Straight answer please

I'm getting really tired of your BS
  • Options
    Answer my question please.

In answer to yours, let me make it clear again: if you believe in torturing other people then you share a common factor with Saddam Hussein, who also believed it was acceptable to torture people. That's not me making it up, that's clearly a fact.

Unless of course you don't really believe it's okay to torture human beings regardless of their crimes, in which case you would bear no similarity to Saddam Hussein.

Your call.

Anyway, I'm tired on this and going on holiday...
  • Options
    I have only just come back... I need to go again!!!

i don't know... it's peadophiles where the issue of tourture comes in... i am not sure.

now now lukesh, you were doing so well yesterday. try to keep some consistancy

What are the thoughts of people, at some point in the future, or assuming there can be some sort of labelling/tracking, of instead of jailing paedophiles, rapists, repeat/multiple murderers and terrorists; removing all rights, including basic human rights. They would have no rights at all maybe for life, maybe for the period of the jail term they would otherwise get.

Please think carefully about what this could mean. If you saw a person coming down the street and knew they'd had their rights removed and knew why, how would you treat them, how would others treat them. Would this be better or worse than simply being imprisoned?