Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Convicted criminal wins the lottery

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    This was only 2 years ago.

That's a shame, and he only go four years, bastard
  • Options
  • Options
    Home Office minister Hazel Blears said: "This is not a knee-jerk reaction."

Thats one of the funniest things I've heard in a while, did she seriously say that with a straight face?!
  • Options
    not a clue mate
  • Options
  • Options
    The discussions seemed to have moved off the Lottery subject and more into rape discussion.

As I see it one of the great equalisers about the lottery is that everyone's ticket has an equal chance of winning.

Sometimes the people that win are good and sometimes they're bad.

Personally I think the real crime is the way lottery money is wasted

£50 Million on an opera hall, almost a Billion on the worlds largest Tent

I think the guy should get his money once he is freed, but also the victims have the right to sue as well and get a big chunk of it off of him.

He may also have a family or kids and I see no reason why his relatives shouldn't benefit from his winnings if he wants to spread his good fortune to them.

His £1 ticket is no less or more valid then my £1 ticket, it's the luck of the draw.
  • Options
    True, up to a point. But prisoners aren't allowed to enter footy pools or buy premium bonds, why should the lottery be any different?
  • Options
    one of the government's smart ideas is to stop paying £200 Million to the victims compensation fund and make criminals pay .. my thoughts are where are criminals goign to get the money from?? .. some perhaps will do more crimes to pay the government and create yet more victims.!!

I think premium bonds are a con up to a point, they often appeal to old people like my 75 Year old Aunt who has £20,000 in bonds, and gets zero interest on her money, but wins about £100 a year in prizes on the £20,000 If she put the money in the bank she'd get interest on it of about 4% to 5% worth about £800 to £1,000 a year and if she didn't spend the interest her money would keep growing.

A few hundred quid on the bonds is OK but people tend to think the more you have the more your chance of winning the £1 million pound prize per month.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I agree that the victims should now sue him for every penny he's got.

I'm not getting into the whole "should he have been out" debate because it irrelevant. He was, he played, he won. 14 million-to-1 shot and the bastard got lucky.

For once I will actually support a huge claim for damages from his victims and would love to see a huge payout because he has come into this money.

Still, another thought, how frustratting must it be to have won that amount but be stuck inside unable to access it...?
  • Options
    I have heard on Radio 4 that they will not be able to sue him, the statute of limitations on his crimes ran out years ago.

Legally there is nothing they can do, but I'm sure Blunket will try.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I have heard on Radio 4 that they will not be able to sue him, the statute of limitations on his crimes ran out years ago.

Yup move the goal-posts
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

How long has he been inside then? Limitations is six years.

Well actually it's six years from the time that the injury appeared (Kermit can you clarify) so there could be a convenient recent diagnosis...?
  • Options
    I think he has been in longer than that.
  • Options
    convicted in 1989 i think the article said
  • Options
    Well when the World At One interviewed the Home Officer minister they said they had had their laywers going at it and there is no law to take the money.

The way she was responding she knew there was no way either but they were going to do something about that.
  • Options
    Tessa Jowel, culture secretary, wants to change the rules as well now
  • Options
    Does the lottery count as 'culture' then? God help us.
  • Options
    He has served his time and while in the process of being released he has won the lottery. Whats the issue?
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38
    He has served his time and while in the process of being released he has won the lottery. Whats the issue?

You see, that's my approach.

I figure that there are plenty of people who, we could argue, are not "deserving" of a lottery win. A certain cocaine snorting, car craching, middle-finger waving, bling wearer springs to mind.

But ultimatley his access to lottery tickets and his win really cannot be considered in connection with his imprisonment. Especially as his outside access was part of his "rehabilitation".

Now, if we want to get into a whole "should rapists ever be released" argument then that is different. All this man (and I use that word loosely) did was access his rights and the bastard got lucky.

I guess, that ultimatley the whole debate has more to do with envy than anything else...
  • Options
    Its bollocks really. He won the lottery. So what? Who gives a shit? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Its bollocks really. He won the lottery. So what? Who gives a shit? :confused:

Well i suspect his victims do actually. And victim support, clearly the government is slightly miffed by it. And considering I think he should have been strung up by his equipment on a rusty meat hook until it was torn off and he fell onto nails and broken glass to die slowly. I don't think he deserves it either.
  • Options
    What has winning the lottery got to do with his (foul and despicable) crimes?
    Sorry, I don't get it. He legally entered the lottery, he legally won.
    End of.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    What has winning the lottery got to do with his (foul and despicable) crimes?
    Sorry, I don't get it. He legally entered the lottery, he legally won.
    End of.

Well clearly not, otherwise we wouldn't have had a discussion about it. I think the point is more whether he
    1. should have been on weekend release anyway
    2. should have been allowed to gamble
    3. whether any winnings should go to victim support
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    should have been on weekend release anyway

Separate issue from the lottery
    should have been allowed to gamble

Are shopkeepers gonna check the criminal record of every person who buys a ticket?
    whether any winnings should go to victim support

Its his money, he can do what he wants with it.
  • Options
    Sorry I should have been more clear. My point was more that weekend release is to do with re-intergration into society, and whether gambling really aids that. It's also that prisoners aren't allowed to enter football pools and similar, so why should playing the lottery be ok?
  • Options
    Why shouldn't they play the lottery?
  • Options
    Because they aren't allowed to enter football pools. It's the same genre, they aren't allowed to buy premium bonds either. Once they are released, who gives a shit they've payed their debt. This guy hasn't
  • Options
    What has the pools got to do with the lottery? :confused:
  • Options
    The potential to win money.
  • Options
    Well its currently legal for him to enter. I don't see why it shouldn't be.