Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Convicted criminal wins the lottery

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Quite simply it is his money and he won it fair and square.
    His only debt to society is the amount of bird he got given so the winning should remain his.
    It's the lottery and it's random - you can't pick and choose you think deserves to win and who doesn't. It doesn't work like that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Exactly.
  • Options
    is it right that his victims are now trying to sue him now that he's come into a bit of money? it totally smacks of greed. what is wrong with people in this country?
  • Options
    Originally posted by superfly
    is it right that his victims are now trying to sue him now that he's come into a bit of money? it totally smacks of greed. what is wrong with people in this country?

This guy is a rapist, I fail to see how his victims wanting some recompense for the damage he's done is greed. If you're interesting in greed, check out the rant on daytime tv. This guy is total scum, it's not like he's a bank robber or anything. It's a question of damage done to others.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I still can't get my head around why we leta arapist have weekend release...

I don't agree with weekend release for dangerous crimes, murder, rape, etc. Young offenders yeah, they really still have a chance. But this guy, convicted in 89 was he? How long can leave reform? Can people reform when they are well into adulthood ie 30 -->?
  • Options
    i do not agree with weekend release full stop.

I'm glad you know so much about young offenders. Yes I realise you have simply stated an opinion. But I feel that youth should be given as many chances as we are able.
  • Options
    why are you so spacfic all of the time??

your asking me about yong affenders... if they are anyway like ones up here then lock them up for ever! they make lives hell!

i was generalisng

You generalise all the time. That's part of the problem with your posting. I am specific so there is little room for misunderstanding. And if your young offenders are like ours (we have a maximum security 18-21 prison up the road) they are products of the micro-society they grew up in, and need help not condemnation.
  • Options
    they are pure evil up here, they need locking up and given nationl service.

You ever met any?
  • Options
    ever met any? of course i have, i partically live with them.

my strets full fo them.

tell me, is where you live particularly good for employment, education and after-school activities. Other than burning out cars and other acts of random vandalism?
  • Options
    they are pure evil up here, they need locking up and given nationl service.

Fuck national service.
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38
    Fuck national service.

Italy still have mandatory military service for everyone. Except priests.
  • Options
    So does Germany (and i think France). As i said, fuck national service.
  • Options
    So does Germany (and i think France). As i said, fuck national service.

Any particular reason?
  • Options
    Besides the fact that conscripts are ineffective in a modern army why should i be used to make some politician fat? I dont want my time and life used.
  • Options
    hardly anyone works... it's a bad council estate basically... one of the worst in the city...

Don't you think, that if the guys near you were brought up in an environment more conducive to helpful productivity, they'd be less like to be criminals?
  • Options
    So what i might get a little fitter. Fitness is not as important to me as other things. If i was in the army against my will i'd desert the second i got the opportunity just on principle.
  • Options
    please delete i quoted myself instead of editing.
  • Options
    defintiley!

my family isn't brilliant either but i am decent.

i just stay awya form them. roll on 2 years when i can get out of the place! it drains me being here!

That's exactly my point. Young offenders, given the chance for reform, shot at GCSEs and A-levels or a degree, training to be an electrician or a plumber. Weekend release to learn how to have fun without tormenting someone else. Works better than just banging them up then letting them out to do it again.
  • Options
    eh?

sorry. i interpeted that as you saying everyone should do national service.
  • Options
    It's an evil, pointless exercise.

I had to do it 10 years ago- had I been born 6 years later I would have missed it as it's now voluntary in Spain but there you go.

In my experience, he who is a scumbag will remain a scumbag regardless of the so-called "discipline" and "character building" national service is suppose to give you.

There's shit loads of discipline in jail but that does not stop fuckers continue being fuckers. I've seen some good, not so good and plain nasty people in the Army. Bullying is appalling, deaths by accident, negligence or suicide common (in my 9 months of service I knew two guys who died and heard of one other) and the whole thing often seems to antagonise people further from society.

The "learnt discipline" argument only lasts for as long as the officer remains in sight. Those who were cunts turned their former evil selves the second they were 'safe' from reprimand, simply because they learnt where and when not to step over the line.

My overall experience of the national service as a tragic and pointless waste of 9 months of my life. But at least I didn't end up dead, severely injured or psychologically traumatised by the appalling bullying that is rife in the army.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    It's an evil, pointless exercise.

I had to do it 10 years ago- had I been born 6 years later I would have missed it as it's now voluntary in Spain but there you go.

In my experience, he who is a scumbag will remain a scumbag regardless of the so-called "discipline" and "character building" national service is suppose to give you.

There's shit loads of discipline in jail but that does not stop fuckers continue being fuckers. I've seen some good, not so good and plain nasty people in the Army. Bullying is appalling, deaths by accident, negligence or suicide common (in my 9 months of service I knew two guys who died and heard of one other) and the whole thing often seems to antagonise people further from society.

The "learnt discipline" argument only lasts for as long as the officer remains in sight. Those who were cunts turned their former evil selves the second they were 'safe' from reprimand, simply because they learnt where and when not to step over the line.

My overall experience of the national service as a tragic and pointless waste of 9 months of my life. But at least I didn't end up dead, severely injured or psychologically traumatised by the appalling bullying that is rife in the army.

You sound tramatised to me. It helps some, it doesn't help others. Being in the army can provide direction to some directionless people out there. They learn they can provide a service, and do so willingly, all they really ask is that you don't ask them to do it unnescessarily
  • Options
    I was going to join the army. I thought it'd be great for me. As it is I've made too many plans and by the time I've served my term it'll be too late to do the things i want to do.
  • Options
    WHo cares what it does to the people. It is what it does to the army that counts. The days of 1 million conscripts fighting against another 1 million conscripts died out 50 years ago. A modern army needs well motivated volunteers.
  • Options
    WHo cares what it does to the people. It is what it does to the army that counts. The days of 1 million conscripts fighting against another 1 million conscripts died out 50 years ago. A modern army needs well motivated volunteers.

yes, but sometimes the skills gained in peace-time while being in the army can really help people in the rest of their lives.
  • Options
    But it takes away a potential source of labour for industry, thus making the economy suffer :p
  • Options
    But it takes away a potential source of labour for industry, thus making the economy suffer :p

The italian national service is only for a year. That doesn't seem like sucking out the entire labour market. And I think you have to serve that term somewhere bwtween 18 and 28. So it's not even as if you are removing everyone of a certain age is it?
    Originally posted by Lukesh
    if they ahd some sort of national service now i'd be happy to go...

You can join at 16. off you go.
  • Options
    Oh I was not traumatised or bullied or injured in any way... I just didn't see any point in being there, and neither did the immense majority of others.

I had some fun... night war games when you have to take a hill without being spotted and so on. Still, I'd rather I hadn't had to go and listen to some fat twat teaching us the best way to stick our combat knife into the back of an enemy soldier to stop him from screaming... or the 'beauty' of shooting people in the stomach and legs instead of killing them outright, because injured and dying soldiers drain resources from the enemy, who must retreive them, and demoralises the remaining soldiers.

National Service = useless bullshit. Those who claim the opposite are in my opinion either bitter old men who are pissed off that they had to do it but today's youngsters don't, or people who don't know what they're talking about but who subscribe to the right wing myth- even though they have not experienced it.
  • Options
    well i did use a smiley
  • Options
    well i did use a smiley

No smilies please I'm british ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    This guy is a rapist, I fail to see how his victims wanting some recompense for the damage he's done is greed. If you're interesting in greed, check out the rant on daytime tv. This guy is total scum, it's not like he's a bank robber or anything. It's a question of damage done to others.

my point is, if he hadnt been on weekend release (and we can argue about whether he should or not forever), and therefore not won £7m, would people be queueing up to sue him? no.

may have misread but didnt someone say he got locked up in '89 or something? so people waited 15 years and then as soon as something good happens to the guy, they want to take it away from him? sorry but thats bollocks. dont get me wrong, i aint defending him or what he's done, but i just think this media witch-hunt is pathetic. every week its something new. :rolleyes: