Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Convicted criminal wins the lottery

Well, let's talk about the issue that has every single tabloid in the land foaming at the mouth with apoplectic rage.

A man serving life for attempted rape has won a £7.1m lottery prize. The man was nearing the end of a life sentence and on temporary release. Full story.

Now, apparently it's common practice for people on temp. release to be allowed such activities as buying lottery tickets. I guess it's all part of the rehabilitation into society process. So, unpleasant as it might be that such a man has won a fortune, should the law be changed regarding convicted criminals buying lottery tickets, as the tabloids demand? Should only apply to sex offenders and murderers? Or should it be let unchanged?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If he was in for attempted rape he shouldn't ever be out on early release.

Some people should be in society, rapists do not fall into that category. Even a lot of murderers are better than rapists.

What the victim/s should do is make a civil claim against the cunt, and the courts should give his victim/s the money instead.

And no, people on release shouldn't be allowed to be playing the lottery.
  • Options
    And I hate to support vigilanteism, but I hope someone murders him. I really do.
  • Options
    I'm torn on this one because of the nature of the crime. I don't think he should've been allowed to buy a lottery ticket whilst on day release in the first place.

If he was banged up for a lesser offence I wouldn't have a problem with it I don't think, but it just seems so insulting to the victim and her family.
  • Options
    If he was in for burglary, say, or drug dealing, him being on day release wouldn't be so offensive.

It's the fact that scum like this ever get let out that bothers me, not him purchasing lottery tickets.
  • Options
    I agree that the victims should now sue him for every penny he's got.

I don't have a problem with criminals on release/parole/getting back into society playing the lottery... but as others have said the question is why a man convicted of so many sexual offences should be out like that...
  • Options
    Criminals do have to rehabilitated and rapists more than any other, the reoffending rate is high.

Its unfortunate, but, well its just luck of the draw really.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Its unfortunate, but, well its just luck of the draw really.

I think the argument is that he shouldn't have been out of a top-security prison to enter the draw.

And he shouldn't.

People who deserve to be on parole/early release should be allowed to live normally; after all, being a convicted drug dealer didn't stop Johnny Vaughan's career, so why should nobody else have the same choice?

Rapists should never be out though, unless they're in a wooden box.
  • Options
    is this really a big deal?

i say this not offend those who are the victims of these crimes, or others affected by them, but as bb says its just unfortunate, but the chances of it happening were pretty low, and the chances of it happening again are probably lower.

why should the victims be entiltiled to what he won Al?
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    why should the victims be entiltiled to what he won Al?

The law dictates you can sue for damages. Or claim from the CICB.

And being raped is something quite serious. And it must have been an horrific attempt for him to be ghiven a life sentence.
  • Options
    To be frank, I wouldn't advocate taking all of his winnings "just because", despite my previous comments. But since he is now a multi-millionaire, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable if his victims sue for damages. The amount should be decided by the courts but he could sure afford a few hundred grand for each one (or whatever amount the judge decides on).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The law dictates you can sue for damages. Or claim from the CICB.

And being raped is something quite serious. And it must have been an horrific attempt for him to be ghiven a life sentence.

of course, i understand that

are damages based on what someone can afford, or on some kind of calculation on how much damage was caused?

Did the victims claim from th CICB and if so are they entillted to claim again?

so, they should be entiled to something, but this should be based on the fact the person has just become a millionaire.
  • Options
    Just because he's a millionaire doesn't make him happy.
  • Options
    i'm not angry he won, the victims can claim for compensation under the law and for all we know, there could be loads of rapists who have won the lottery but we don't know it cos they got away with it, and if he's fully rehabilitated then i don't see no problem, maybe they should make him odnate half his money to a rape support group or something like that.
  • Options
    Well to be fair he was nearing the end of his life sentence. Unless we're saying that people convicted of attempted rape should never be freed in their lifetime, there has to be a point somewhere in time when they are let out.

And then that time approaches, it's probably better to introduce them back into society gradually (i.e. by low security prisons, day releases etc) than to wait until he's served the sentence in full and then kick him out of jail altogether.
  • Options
    Personally I think people who are convicted for rape, agravated murder, child abuse and similar serious crimes shouldn't be let out early. I also fail to see how playing the lottery aids intergration into society. Somehow it seems fundementally unfair that this gimp has won. But then, last week the woman who has cancer won, maybe it some sort of twisted balance?
  • Options
    And I hate to support vigilanteism, but I hope someone murders him. I really do.

Scratch a liberal, find a fascist...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Scratch a liberal, find a fascist...

You've said that before, and I didn't disagree then either.

When it comes to some people the iron boot of fascism is the only way to treat them.

Rapists and attempted rapists should never be let out.

To answrer the other question, you can claim to the CICB or through civil courts. Generally you go to the CICB because most crims are poor, but if you get a rich one sue him and you will get a lot more dough.
  • Options
    To me it doesn't seem right.. I agree with something that a lady said in the article.. The money should be donated to Charities that deal with rape.
  • Options
    You've said that before, and I didn't disagree then either.

When it comes to some people the iron boot of fascism is the only way to treat them.

Rapists and attempted rapists should never be let out.

So people can't change? There is no hope of redemption?
    I find that attitude rather depressing and quite worrying.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    So people can't change? There is no hope of redemption?
    I find that attitude rather depressing and quite worrying.

Rape is such a terrible crime that I don't think rapists should be GIVEN the chance of redemption, even if they are capable of it.

For a lot of rape victims, their life is destroyed permanently. It is a very serious crime, far more serious than some murders- you can't rape someone "in the heat of the moment".
  • Options
    Rape is such a terrible crime that I don't think rapists should be GIVEN the chance of redemption, even if they are capable of it.

For a lot of rape victims, their life is destroyed permanently. It is a very serious crime, far more serious than some murders- you can't rape someone "in the heat of the moment".
    Actually you might find that a great deal of rapes do indeed happen in the heat of the moment. Especially considering that in the majority of rapes it's not strangers lurking in corners or parks who are responsible, but people well known to the victim.

Now, I'm not justifying any kind of rape for a second, but one thing is sure as hell: not all rapes are the same and not all rapists are the same. There are exactly the same grounds to believe a rapist cannot be cured or redeemed as to any other type of criminal from drunk drivers to burglars to vandals to petty thieves to murderers to drunks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    the rapists have rights remember.... european human rights actually...

Shut Up

Take a look at the Geneva Convention one day (maybe when you learn to read properly) you'll find out where human rights come from. Then look through history, recent history will do, the 20th century was truly the period for humans to be shitty to each other. You'll see how lucky you are to have them. Because there are still people that don't.

A rapist has BASIC human rights, and no-one should ever take that away. From anyone.

This doesn't affect how I feel about the situation, or what should be done to him. But don't take the piss out of human rights. God forbid that you should ever find out what it's like to have your's withdrawn, and what will/could then happen to you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Actually you might find that a great deal of rapes do indeed happen in the heat of the moment. Especially considering that in the majority of rapes it's not strangers lurking in corners or parks who are responsible, but people well known to the victim.

Now, I'm not justifying any kind of rape for a second, but one thing is sure as hell: not all rapes are the same and not all rapists are the same. There are exactly the same grounds to believe a rapist cannot be cured or redeemed as to any other type of criminal from drunk drivers to burglars to vandals to petty thieves to murderers to drunks.

Exactly.
  • Options
    that just complicates it.

Life is complicated.
  • Options
    Take the bastards money off him and give it to the victims and charity.
    He doesn't need it where he is anyway.
  • Options
    I agree but what some people need to remember is that the victim is granted MORE rights as the rapist has had theirs taken away for commiting such crimes.

Actually, it is nothing of the kind. Once we go down that road it'll spread to simply being accused means you have rights removed, what crap, and of course, how frightening.
  • Options
    No, people's rights are equal, they should be set, people should be treated with respect NO matter what they have done.
  • Options
    Of course we see it from the victims point of view. You just dont seem to understand that we dont see the world as black and white.

As yes, I have been the victim of crime, I would have liked to have seen the kid get a community sentance. This would have cost less and been more effective. I most definately would not want him to go to jail.
  • Options
  • Options
    I dont know, they didnt tell me.

People arent just 'let off' you know. If their caught there are many processes to go through.