Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bush calls for gay marriage ban

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3518117.stm

"President George W Bush has endorsed a constitutional amendment that would ban marriages of same-sex couples."

a constitutional amendment - so it's not as simple as changing the law... it's changing the whole foundations of law isn't it? I'm not to up to date with how America works (who is?) but the constitution is meant to be the all important thing isnt it? Likle the magna carva or something :confused: (i forget)

personally I think George Bush is a christian crusader trying to convert the world. his main objective is to follow the bible just about - not to ensure the welfare of his country. does he realise that there are muslims, hindus, bhuddists and jews in his country as well?? (well i think they don't endorse same-sex marriage anyway but you can see my point right?)

please someone get this guy out of office :(

and if people are in love in a same-sex relationship why dont you let them marry? Dubya makes out that it's some crime against 'the most enduring human institution".

opinions people?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    He won't be able to marry Tony Blair now, as they seem to be up each others arseholes every other day. :lol:
  • Options
    Its disgusting, how can the rest of the civilised world stand by and let this happen? I cannot wait until Bush is assaninated or out of office.
  • Options
    A constitutional amendment requires 2/3 of the states to support which makes it highly unlikely such would be passed, especially during an election year.
  • Options
    (made up) chronology of events:

Bush changes the US constitution to reflect that gay marriage is wrong.

Education in US is geared towards spreading this ignorance + starts a gay hate campaign - "they're sick".

Bush calls for an international recognition that gay marriage is wrong everywhere, and tries to get other countries to follow suite. Some do, some don't.

Those that don't, bush enforces trade boycotts on these countries. These countries band together to stop the US opression of freedom and trade between themselves (several other US laws have been made by this time, including a law which gives the american government access to anybody's privacy anywhere on the world to prevent terrorism and organised crime).

Bush sends in the 'liberating' troops to these countries - forcing them to comply with the 'law'.

By this time all of the 'western world' has been educated that America is right and anyone else is wrong, so no one can stand up for these countries.

The last of democracy is lost.

hehe :p well maybe a bit extreme :p but do you see my point? he just keeps pushing and pushing for more power and control and he gets it because America is the most powerful country in the world!
  • Options
    Whats wrong with defining marraige as something between a man and a woman? I'm sure we are talking about church sanctioned marraiges here, and they should be between male and female.

Civil unions are the way forward for gay couples.

I dunno where you get all this nonsense about Bush trying to 'convert' the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Whats wrong with not defining it that way?
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    (made up) chronology of events:

Bush changes the US constitution to reflect that gay marriage is wrong.

Education in US is geared towards spreading this ignorance + starts a gay hate campaign - "they're sick".

Bush calls for an international recognition that gay marriage is wrong everywhere, and tries to get other countries to follow suite. Some do, some don't.

Those that don't, bush enforces trade boycotts on these countries. These countries band together to stop the US opression of freedom and trade between themselves (several other US laws have been made by this time, including a law which gives the american government access to anybody's privacy anywhere on the world to prevent terrorism and organised crime).

Bush sends in the 'liberating' troops to these countries - forcing them to comply with the 'law'.

By this time all of the 'western world' has been educated that America is right and anyone else is wrong, so no one can stand up for these countries.

The last of democracy is lost.

i dont think it will go quite that far darling!!
  • Options
    Because marraige is within the church, and is performed by a priest.

The church does not allow homosexuality, you cannot force them to marry people who go against all their creed and beliefs.

Once again, go civil unions.
  • Options
    Some churches allow homosexuality. Depends on your brand of faith.
  • Options
    There are homosexual clergy in the Presybterian Church (and of course we all know about the longrunning presence in the Roman Catholic clergy) now so obviously it doesn't go against their beliefs, or at the very least their practices.
  • Options
    The vast majority of Christian churches condemn homosexuality and officially oppose it.
  • Options
    So?
  • Options
    Do you need everything spelled out for you?
  • Options
    Well it would help if any of your posts actually made sense.
  • Options
    No. It would help if you stopped being so pigheaded.
  • Options
    Go on, humour me.
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    The vast majority of Christian churches condemn homosexuality and officially oppose it

Organised religion is hypocrisy anyways, Pro-life & Pro-death penalty, claims to belief in charity and simultaneous support for overt militant acts of aggression against foreign lands, belief that all god has made he declared "good" whilst condemning even heterosexual expression as dirty and evil.

If you base your arguments on what organised religions teach then you are standing on shifting sand.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    No.

Good debating tactic.
  • Options
    Good debating tactic.

Its the equal of your methods.
    If you base your arguments on what organised religions teach then you are standing on shifting sand.

In this particular debate I argued for civil unions for gay couples, as gay marraiges within the church would serve no purpose other that to split and damage it.
  • Options
    You don't have to get married in a church though..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Moraji
    You don't have to get married in a church though..

Well exactly. Which rather scuppers Matadore's argument.
  • Options

So heres me been thinking ive been married for 8 years, because I didnt get married in church by a priest that makes me not married ?

Oh Dear my hubby (no he aint my hubby is he) aint gonna be pleased cos ive just planned my anniversary night out at a nice posh hotel :D
  • Options
    No.

That told you Blagsta :lol:
  • Options

The church does not allow homosexuality, you cannot force them to marry people who go against all their creed and beliefs.

Once again, go civil unions.

But doesn't it say in Paul:
    "In Christ there is neither Jew no Greek, slave nor free, male nor female"
    ?

Or something like that... depends on which part of the Bible you look at.

Organised religion is hypocrisy anyways, Pro-life & Pro-death penalty, claims to belief in charity and simultaneous support for overt militant acts of aggression against foreign lands, belief that all god has made he declared "good" whilst condemning even heterosexual expression as dirty and evil.

I wouldn't say organised religion is entriely bad, I'd say people with power using religion as an excuse to enforce prejudice is the problem.
  • Options
    anyone consenting couple whether they be male or female should be able to get 'married' as in what comes with it, whether or not all churches/religious institutions will be able to do them is another point... but yeh registry offices/religious places that accept homosexuality should be allowed to operate
  • Options
    Originally posted by LonDoNErcHriS85
    anyone consenting couple whether they be male or female should be able to get 'married' as in what comes with it, whether or not all churches/religious institutions will be able to do them is another point... but yeh registry offices/religious places that accept homosexuality should be allowed to operate

Well of course! There's nowt wrong with loving somebody is there?

I despise homophobia, partly because I don't consider myself as heterosexual and partly because I have some very dear bisexual and gay friends. Why the hell should people discriminate over sexual preference in the first place? A fundemental human need is to be loved and a need for affection and if they get it from the same sex then so be it.

Denying a person the right to love and be loved is like denying somebody food or shelter and Bush is just using the Bible to discriminate and force his own personal views upon people.

It's sad really :(
  • Options
    Why all the focus on America being so bad? Despite this apparent set back they seem to have advanced far further than most places on this issue.

The fact is that there are currently married homosexual couples in the US and none in the UK.........
  • Options
    Which rather scuppers Matadore's argument.

No , because I said civil unions are the way forward for gay couples. They are very different to normal marraige in a church.
  • Options
    No , because I said civil unions are the way forward for gay couples. They are very different to normal marraige in a church.

People can get married out of a church. It has the same legal status as one in a church. I think you're grasping at straws...