Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bush calls for gay marriage ban

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    The fact is that there are currently married homosexual couples in the US and none in the UK.........

Aren't they legal in London? It was on the news about a year ago. But the couples have to have lived in London for a certain amount of time. Unlike in San Francisco where people are coming from all over the state.
  • Options
    Who is anyone to judge ?

If someone is happy let em do what the hell they want, as long as they are both consenting adults then stuff anyone else !!!!!!
  • Options
    Exactly.
  • Options
    If someone is happy let em do what the hell they want, as long as they are both consenting adults then stuff anyone else !!!!!!

That is a very short sighted thing to say.

Very large numbers of people will take offence to this if they marry within a church.

A civil union is the only realistic option for gay couples.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

Very large numbers of people will take offence to this if they marry within a church.

A lot of people took offense when female clergy were ordained. Some people still refuse to take communion from them.

If there is any criticism I can make of the church it's that it fears sexuality... full stop.
  • Options
    At last Bush calls for something right.

Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, for fuck sake, marriage is for a man and a woman, not two men or women.
  • Options

A civil union is the only realistic option for gay couples.

Go and give your head a shake cos you aint listened to a word I said !!!!

Let em do what the hell they want, this aint the bloody 60's you know, i think we have moved on a lot now. In todays society it is a lot more acceptable and many people are more openly gay. So if they want to get married and make that commitment then what business is it of yours or mine or anyone elses for that matter ?????
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, for fuck sake, marriage is for a man and a woman, not two men or women.
    Why? Can you justify that or is it a blind statement?

Marriage is symbolic, it's a commitment that two people make to each other in the eyes of God and with His people as witnesses. It's a lovely thing and shouldn't be denied to anyone.

Would you ban re-marriage for divorcees? You could argue that the Bible condemns this, too.

Incidentally, here's what the Guardian has to say about the latest (official) Church of England views on homosexuality
  • Options
    I just don't think it's right for two queers to get married.....marriage was made for a man and a woman to show their commitment to one another.

I'm sorry if people are offended by this but i don't think it is right at all for gay's to marry, they can have relationships all they want but marriage, that's different.
  • Options

I'm sorry if people are offended by this but i don't think it is right at all for gay's to marry, they can have relationships all they want but marriage, that's different.

So its ok for them to live together but not show commitment by getting married ............very confusing me thinks.

Marriage to me is about commitment so wether its male and male, female and female or male and female it makes no difference.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    So its ok for them to live together but not show commitment by getting married ............very confusing me thinks.

Marriage to me is about commitment so wether its male and male, female and female or male and female it makes no difference.

Ok, that's what you think.

But two gay men standing at an altar saying blah blah they want to be together and all this..sorry but i think marriage was made for a man and a woman to get married, not two man or women.
  • Options
    Ok, that's what you think.

But two gay men standing at an altar saying blah blah they want to be together and all this..sorry but i think marriage was made for a man and a woman to get married, not two man or women.

Why? because they can't have children?
  • Options

tough shit
  • Options
    At last Bush calls for something right.

Who says?
  • Options
    I just don't think it's right for two queers to get married.....marriage was made for a man and a woman to show their commitment to one another.

Yes, I find this very offensive.
    Why does religion turn some people into bigots? Wasn't Jesus's main message for us to love each other and be tolerant?
    I seem to be a lot more Christian than most so called Christians.
    Whats that about? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options

Justify this, don't just keep blindly repeating it.
  • Options
    Is the Matadore being deliberately stupid and ignorant? :confused:

A marriage is still a marriage if it is outside a church or with a registrar rather than a priest.

I very much doubt that any legislation could force churches to conduct homosexual marriage but these people could get married in registry office and this would be a wedding the same as for hetrosexual couples, for all intents and purposes the same as the civil union stuff you are talking about........
  • Options

Peoples hands were not designed for driving yet this is what many people use them for. Purposive arguments are pretty shit really.........
  • Options
    :eek:

Bush got something right!!!!!

I think I'll wake up in a minute..

Next thing you know, gay people be thinkin' they the pride of everything, Oh yeah, they already do..
  • Options
    Originally posted by SlimeFace
    :eek:

Bush got something right!!!!!

I think I'll wake up in a minute..

Next thing you know, gay people be thinkin' they the pride of everything, Oh yeah, they already do..

:confused:

Why shouldn't people have pride of their identity?
  • Options
    Because they blame their irregular mindstate on genetic stranding.

Born gay, erm, Nope.

Born human, & mentally make an independant choice to never naturally procreate & raise a new era of beautiful seeds into this world.

If you aint gonna make babies, then you may aswell cut your exhistence short right about now.

PEACE ;)
  • Options
    So being gay is a choice, you mean?
  • Options
    Let gays marry!!

ALL PEOPLE should have the RIGHT to marry!! It's a human right; read the European Convention!!

Gays deserve equal rights to straights in ALL areas!! Damn, marriage should NOT EVEN BE determined by the state!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    So being gay is a choice, you mean?

9/10 More a conscious decision, too oftenly a fashion statement, how it became fashionable to wear pooh on your willy confuses the soul out of me though!
  • Options
    Whats wrong with defining marraige as something between a man and a woman? I'm sure we are talking about church sanctioned marraiges here, and they should be between male and female.

Civil unions are the way forward for gay couples.

I dunno where you get all this nonsense about Bush trying to 'convert' the rest of the world.

Not all people get married in a church!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    9/10 More a conscious decision, too oftenly a fashion statement, how it became fashionable to wear pooh on your willy confuses the soul out of me though!

Bearing in mind that most reasearch suggests the opposite is true, I wonder if you have anything to back this up.

Other than your prejudices, that is?
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Marriage is symbolic, it's a commitment that two people make to each other in the eyes of God and with His people as witnesses. It's a lovely thing and shouldn't be denied to anyone.

i agree with this, and there's also the legal issues of marriage that would be unfairly denied to gay couples.

i can understand the reluctance of churches to allow gay marriages, but they should be allowed to marry outside of a church, or in open-minded churches, if such a thing exists.

all this biblical homophobia is very tiring. the bible condemns a lot of things, that you all still do. the catholic church condemns contraception, ffs, and where the hell would the world be if we all took notice of that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i agree with this, and there's also the legal issues of marriage that would be unfairly denied to gay couples.

i can understand the reluctance of churches to allow gay marriages, but they should be allowed to marry outside of a church, or in open-minded churches, if such a thing exists.

all this biblical homophobia is very tiring. the bible condemns a lot of things, that you all still do. the catholic church condemns contraception, ffs, and where the hell would the world be if we all took notice of that?

yeh they should be allowed the same legal rights etc as heterosexual couples, the thing about marriages in churches is a seperate issue, however, this country is officially CoE so it should be recognised as a civil union, not a marriage as such but with the same rights, same as registry offices shouldnt call it marriages as such (just to say it isnt a different name to discriminate against gay people)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Bearing in mind that most reasearch suggests the opposite is true, I wonder if you have anything to back this up.

Other than your prejudices, that is?

Prejudice. Moral understanding & admittance to self if you please son.
  • Options
    Because they blame their irregular mindstate on genetic stranding.

Born gay, erm, Nope.

Born human, & mentally make an independant choice to never naturally procreate & raise a new era of beautiful seeds into this world.

If you aint gonna make babies, then you may aswell cut your exhistence short right about now.

PEACE ;)

That ain't how it is. Sexuality is NOT a choice. Its just something you are. Why would people choose to be gay when they get shit loads of grief off bigots like you?