Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

General chit chat

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    Aidan said:
    I put the google translate thing at the bottom of the page onto afrikaans by accident but I think I can still kind of tell what you're all saying :joy:
    sand would be proud
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,648 Legendary Poster
    I’m learning too, I didn’t know it was an antihistamine lol. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,533 Skive's The Limit
    Liam said:
    I imagine they use different sedatives too @Shaunie ? i agree that if its so strong they can use it as a sedative then it should be prescription only 
    Yeah they use other sedatives too if that don’t work. Like injections too. But yeah they defo use it in mental hospitals. I still don’t think she believes me that it is over the counter 😂
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited August 2020
    Shaunie said:
    My sister used to work in a mental hospital. I told her the other day promethazine is over the counter. She could not believe it because it is as strong as anything. They use it in mental hospital to sedate patients. 
    I do not agree it should be over the counter and esp at the doseage it is over the counter. It is very stron

You can't get it over the counter in the dose used in hospital lmao
  • Options
    It’d probably need an extremely high dose to be a sedative 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Hey I'm back <3
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    GreenTea said:
    Shaunie said:
    My sister used to work in a mental hospital. I told her the other day promethazine is over the counter. She could not believe it because it is as strong as anything. They use it in mental hospital to sedate patients. 
    I do not agree it should be over the counter and esp at the doseage it is over the counter. It is very stron

You can.... it’s over the counter. You ask at boots and it’s over the counter. Why is that funny? It’s true. It’s not on the shelf you have to ask and they ask questions

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    It’d probably need an extremely high dose to be a sedative 

It is lol. You can't get it that high without prescription
  • Options
    aye it does say on the mind website ye can get it over the counter. not sure what dosage though but thats crazzzzyyy 
  • Options
    You can. Crisis always tell me the amount to take to sedate myself. 
  • Options
    Liam said:
    aye it does say on the mind website ye can get it over the counter. not sure what dosage though but thats crazzzzyyy 

You have to be prescribed for the higher dosage..you can only get a low dose over the counter because you have to be closely monitored on a high dose lol
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Trust me the over the counter is high enough. One pill knocks me out

the max pill is 25 mg. that is over the counter. How much you take of that is up to the person with advice
  • Options
    Shaunie said:
    crisis team suggest people sedate themselves? whattt? i didnt know that
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Shaunie said:
    GreenTea said:
    Shaunie said:

You can.... it’s over the counter. You ask at boots and it’s over the counter. Why is that funny? It’s true. It’s not on the shelf you have to ask and they ask questions

The dose I took and the dose given in hospital. Is above the amount suggested and there for not available on perscription. You have to be closely monitored on higher doses...like I was. 
  • Options
    Hii I'm back 
    @Shaunie thankyou for telling everyone <3
  • Options
    The OTC dosage will have been tested lots and will have been judged to be sufficiently low to be sold over the counter. 
  • Options
    Liam said:
    Shaunie said:
    crisis team suggest people sedate themselves? whattt? i didnt know that
    Yeah lol

i ignore them because it’s a horrible thing to do. 

It’s like a really unnatural sleep. When your brain feels half a wake but you can’t even open you eyes. And teddy feels proper heavy when I take them because makes me so weak. Everything is proper heavy. And hate that
  • Options
    i had no idea that they suggested that @Shaunie wow
  • Options
    @GreenTea Are you ok?
  • Options
    Emoji246 said:
    @GreenTea Are you ok?

Frustrated but it's fine lol
  • Options
    They’ve given me diazepam atm tho. Which is another sedative because been in crisis a lot recently. 

They just like to make you dead to the world lol
  • Options
    Liam said:
    i had no idea that they suggested that @Shaunie wow

Yep because if people are asleep they can't harm themselves. And with crisis teams really under funded and dealing with a wide range of people, there's only so much they can suggest etc
  • Options
    Yeah.  They call it PRN

which means “take when needed” so basically take it to knock yourself out 
  • Options
    GreenTea said:
    Emoji246 said:
    @GreenTea Are you ok?

@GreenTea Is it about your medicine?   
  • Options
    So doctors prescribe sedative tablets (or you buy over counter) and then you take them when you're feeling low. Is that not just a short term fix? Hope it helps you guys but weowww, i didnt know.
  • Options
    @Liam I think they can be helpful if you struggle to sleep because of how you’re feeling, especially with anxiety. Or if someone’s in crisis. Yes it’s a short-term fix indeed but yeah helpful in that moment.
  • Options
    Liam said:
    So doctors prescribe sedative tablets (or you buy over counter) and then you take them when you're feeling low. Is that not just a short term fix? Hope it helps you guys but weowww, i didnt know.
    Yeah is a short term fix lol. They don’t like you taking it for long term tho. Especially diazepam. Diazepam  very addictive so don’t prescribe more than 4 weeks unless you’re a lot older when in the days they used to throw diazepam at everyone so they take it because they have been on them for many years. D as it was different back then
  • Options
    Emoji246 said:
    GreenTea said:
    Emoji246 said:
    @GreenTea Are you ok?

@GreenTea Is it about your medicine?   

Nope. It's fine :)
  • Options
    @Aidan haha
    Teacup Dogs for Tiny-Canine Lovers
  • Options
    Yeah i just googled that @Shaunie and seen that they only suggest using it for 4 weeks