Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Training to be peer support worker

SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
edited May 2019 in Health & Wellbeing

Hey

I know i already have two others post around my training lol, sorry , thank you for all support. I just wanted another clearer one. & i know this seems like it should go more into student life but id rather focus on my wellbeing. 

So ive gone 2 weeks of my training which have gone pretty fast. Hasnt been the easiest and have cried in 3 days. Training to be peer support worker("someone with significant MH challenges and uses to support others). It sounds easy, but honestly not. There is so much to learn. Literally new "recovery" langague and we have been learning some scenrieos and how we would deal with them. 

I did telling my story & that was as good as could of went. It is just hard that in the classes, im scared i dont speak enough but am trying but everyones lovely. 

The week coming, im starting placement - is for three days & im scared of saying/doing  wrong thing ect. Dk if anyone has any advice around that. Im doing it with outpatients adults mental health team. And been texting with the girl who going to the same place too but doubt will be shadowing same person. And im just scared as never done shadowing stuff. Has anyone else ?  And how to stop feeling so stressed. 

My last week i have my commincation assessment which i am totally scared about - before go into the room we have a scernio of how the peer(patient) is feeling and from the moment we walk into the door and out - we are peer supoort worker & to me that sound realy stressful. And it is hard because there is acrually wrong & right things to say. From the langauge - to how you approach difficult situations. - to how the conversation lead

& then also on last week i have exam and preperation for graduation. 

As well as my 12 assisgents i need to do on top of this training/classes.  We have one or two extra weeks of no classes where we can do our assignemtns but still  1 week is nothing for how much work it is . We get homework too

And basically i don’t know how to stay calm. Im actually really less sucidial since which is weird.  I think im doing & coping well tbh ive done some assignments& still going to work (primark).  I guess im as stressed as have ever been, but my focus is not on dying. 

But so anxious and stressed :(((. Its really hard to breath a lot. 

Alsoo soooooo tired:(((  been not having much sleep

And want to say sorry that i have not been much help to others on here since starting my training. Just quite busy. Hope everyone else is okay

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
Post edited by Siena on

Comments

• Options
    JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Glad to hear you are less suicidal and you are coping better with all the work.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate, and the fact that you feel you are coping and going to work is great.

It sounds like you are stressed about the communication assessment. Are there any particular reasons you feel more worried about this than any others? It sounds like you have put a lot of great work into your education.

In terms of your worries about shadowing don't worry about saying or doing anything wrong. From my experience shadowing and from knowing people who run shadowing programmes, is there are no silly questions. The employee you are shadowing will know you don't know everything, that is why you are there! It might help to think about it beforehand and ask yourself some questions like who are you shadowing, what do they do, is there anything you'd like to know about that.

Hope this helps in some way. Let us know how your shadowing goes!

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thank you. Im feeling bit sad now and i dont want to go to training tomorrow. Have "equality and diversity and challenging stigma" which doesnt sound bad but im so tired and work was shit today and i have bad urges to self harm right now.  I just keep replaying all the lessons in my head and thinking i said something wrong or people are judging me. And everyone seems so more confident than me and just dont know anymore & tomorrow we will probably do role play which makes me cry lol 🙃😭😭😭😭😭
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Im really scared for tomorrow. Cause i know the manager is coming in for the day to observe. 😭😭😭. It always feels like my heart coming out my chest everytime i speak. I thought that would ease but it hasnt
  • Options
    Im really tired & feel like something awful will happen today. I just want a proper day off for a lie in & do nothing 😭😭😭but wont be getting that anytime soon unless i dont go to work on weekend
  • Options
    Really struggling
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    edited May 2019
    Hey @Shaunie

How's your placement going today? You mentioned you're really struggling. We're here if you want to chat a bit about how it's going. <3

In your earlier post you mentioned you were feeling scared about shadowing today and worried about saying or doing something wrong. I know how much this course means to you and it's understandable to hear the pressure you're feeling to be a great peer support worker. Try and remember all those lovely comments you've been getting from your group. You already have so many great qualities that will make you a great peer support worker and this placement sounds like a great opportunity to learn some new skills too. I can already see how much your support to others here has progressed. It's great to see you putting into practice some of the skills you've already learnt. I've been finding it really interesting hearing about everything you've been learning and I'm learning a lot from you too. You're doing really well Shaunie :) 

Going into a placement soon after training is a big step and you're not alone in how you're feeling. Is there anyone you can talk to at your placement about what you're struggling with? 

Hope you're doing okay <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Thank you @Aife  <3

yesterday we spent most time in the class room doing equality and diversity and challenging stimga and then spent some time at placement so wasnt too bad yesterday.  But going to be spending whole day at placement today aswell as two other days this week. 

Today is going to be more intense and i know the person im shadowing are going to ask me questions and i think the questions will be like ;what is a peer suport worker. Whats the difference between peer support worker and a support worker. And that some health professional have experience of mental health so whats the difference. And what are the benefits of peer supoort workers.  I know the answer to all these. So hope nothing else gets asked lol. My mind keeps going blank tho

its hard in know how to support people. Cause things i used to say are like "im sorry to hear...." and "can hear youre sad BUT its great..." like i say the but all the time but apperntly none recovery lanaguge and just all sorts like diagnosis and certain words like "difficults" i cant say and scared will say somethng like that today aswell as usual wrong things to say. And using "I language" is really hard to remember 

but yeah hope today isnt too bad cause gunna need to spent another two more days after lol

and im so stressed. Keep going to happy to sad to angry:(((((((( 😭😭😭hate myself
  • Options
    This is proper intesting. Sat in a meetin where they spoke about clients/ peers who are on waiting list. Going to be going to home visist if the patients agree

very anxious th
  • Options
    davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey shaunie,

even though your this is your training and your really nervous, your training is prepairing you to help others and to help yourself in the future with his training

It perfectly normally to feel anxious when going round another patient house, you don't know what their like or how their react to your presents, 

What your doing is amazing that your helping theirs people and your the best person for it as you have the experience of your mental health background, it the same thing between me and my mum, she has depression, I have depression, she helps me though my down times, 

Stay strong girl, your doing amazing. 

Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • Options
    Thank you. Proper intense. 

Finally finished for the day. Been to home visists and with out patients appointments and lots of meetings and im so tired. Massive headache. Stressed. Been in the car a lot too so now i feel very sick and havent eaten anything
  • Options
    Im feeling really drained. Maybe cause proper first day at work experience. But a lot of things i heard was either shocking or very distrubing and wondering if am up to this stuff
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    In town. Feeling really low after today. I think i need some sleep. Its been overwhelming. But i have massive urge to kill myself and not make it home. Ever

edit. I am safe. Just attention seeker
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey Shaunie <3

Today sounds tiring and stressful. I think you're honestly doing so well to keep going to your training. I've seen much progress and strength.

It's understandable to have concerns and doubts. I'm excited for you and hope being a peer support worker turns out fab.

It sounds like you've been struggling with mental health, which isn't helping - would you say that's right, or...?

Sorry I'm kind of useless, I just wanted to show that I'm listening and supporting you <3
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Hey @kathleen0172

youd make a good peer support worker. Thats how i need to support people lol 

thank you
    im just overwhelmed and stressed i think im not used to it and making me really irratable after 5pm. Gotten fed up of being around people by then lol. I think i may acrually take the weekend off this week cause dont think coping well anymore
  • Options
    Not liking today. We going to do role play a lot of today. And then tomrrow i have my work experience again aswell as on friday. And im tired and fed up. And feeling really low. Its A lot
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Its just pissing me off today tbh. Im probably not allowed to say this. Since i know some people on the corse do use online support but hoping not this one.  But I am in lesson not work experience and i am sat of table of 4 but one person is just constantly on her phone and pissing me off and dont know how the tutors dont care. But annoying thing is. Is she is texting the other person across the room. (I saw the name and she keeps looking over to her). Its like wtff do you need to speak about so urgently you need to keep texting its like rudeee. Im paraniod. Im tempted to say something but dk 
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Lol, I don't think I'm remotely in recovery, so it doesn't look like I'm becoming a peer support worker :-P

It's totally understandable that you're overwhelmed and stressed. It could definitely be a good idea to take the weekend off this week - you deserve a break <3 And letting yourself have one can be really beneficial.

I'm sorry to hear you're not liking today, and that it's pissing you off :-( I can really hear how stressed and busy you must be. I'd find all of this really tiring.

Please do keep us updated, and we're here for you if you want to chat <3
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @Shaunie

How was the rest of the day? Understand you were a bit anxious because you thought it was going to be role-play for a lot of the day - was that right? 

Totally get your annoyance with the person using their phone - I see this in meetings all the time and just think for gods sake why are you even here! I try and ignore it so I can be present and get the most out of the session myself - the other person has only got themselves to blame when they get to the end of the session and haven't actually gained anything. Yeh my only advice is just to try and focus on the session to get the most out of it for you.

I think taking the weekend off might help to chill and de-stress a bit if you still want to do that <3

- Lucy

Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    Thank you. Im on work experience today and tomorrow again. Enjoying it better today. Not really got anything to do atm. But ive seen two peers today. And at some point the peer asked me questions in front of the nurse and scared i said wrong thing but yeah dont think he knows about recovery lanaguage lol

but enjoying it lot better 😊
  • Options
    Really glad you're enjoying it more today <3
  • Options
    JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Shaunie

Congratulations on passing the assessment!

It sounds like you are worried about speaking in front of an audience and you aren’t sure what to say. I’ve been told it helps to ask yourself questions about what you’ve done, and then use your answers to those questions to flesh out your speech. So for example: what did you enjoy about your course experience? What are your hopes for the future after graduation?

Practice makes perfect. Try take the time to go over your speech a couple times and it should hopefully come more naturally to you. 

It’s really good that you feel proud of yourself. It sounds like you did great on your course. 

Good luck with your exam. Let us know how it goes!

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thank you Jordan

good place to start with thinking about those questions.

I'm trying to revise and I've read through my whole folder writing some notes but it has felt pointless cause feel i already know it. Which i have a feeling is a bad thing since i probably Dont 
  • Options
    The exam was really easy tbh. Which dunno if okay thing to say lol just one question I know for certain is wrong now i look at my notes. But other than those two points - im pretty sure everything else was right. Either that or I'm deleuded & v stupid
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    Glad it went well :) 

You should be super proud for getting a place on and course and completing your exam today. Well done ! 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    Hey Shaunie,

It's positive to hear the exam was easy. I bet everything else was right :) 

How are you feeling about finishing training, by the way?

It sounds like you do doubt yourself. I think you're doing great, and I've been finding hearing about this journey of yours interesting. You should be proud x

Lots of love <3
    Kathleen
  • Options
    Thank you. I'm so sad. The training is over :((((😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭well apart from need to do my assignments 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    So awkward. I said to my family its a plus 2 invite to graduation. So then both or one of my sisters will be at work and cant come. So they said about dad coming with one of my sisters. I dont even like my dad but obviously couldnt say that infront of him. I barely speak to him and he clearly doesnt wanna go so for them to say it was a bit weird and thought was out of question. So i said i think we get two tickets, one being including myself, actually so only one person can come. (Lie) lol. But yeah id rather no one come if my dad does tbh
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I'm sad. I know will miss the training. But think have made friends. do have group chat and I do speak to two of them more regularly outside of group chat but still sad  

But I'm waiting for the peer support worker jobs to come out in CAMHS which should be soon since can apply before know results

Just got shit load of module assignment questions to do. But yesterday I went to work & managed to answer a whole module which pleased about. Have to complete them all and printed by the 7th.  & I hate referencing & dk how to do that 

And I'm so tired. & hating working in retail even more

& tbh I really Dont want to go to Graduation, have to do 5 min speech lol  & someone asked if we have to go. And he said ” graduation Is basically part of the training & big thing to end with by acknowledging your achievements & how you got there” ”its a big date in our NHS calendar”  and only can't go if have good reason. so yeah guess do have to go
    Post edited by JustV on
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Hey @Shaunie

I'm really proud of you for completing your training! This is such a great achievement! It's really great to hear your final exam went well too :) 

It's really exciting you can start applying for jobs soon! Keep us updated with how that goes and let us know if you need any help with your applications. How did you find your placement in the end? Do you know what area you'd like to work in?

Just got shit load of module assignment questions to do. But yesterday I went to work & managed to answer a whole module which pleased about. Have to complete them all and printed by the 7th.  & I hate referencing & dk how to do that 

I hope the rest of your assignments go okay. Referencing is a nightmare! I used to have to do this with my uni coursework. My top tip is to do this as you go and not leave it till the last minute! Do you know what type of referencing you need to do? I think there are two different styles so depending on the one you're doing, I might be able to share some links that can help you :) 

& tbh I really Dont want to go to Graduation, have to do 5 min speech lol  & someone asked if we have to go. And he said ” graduation Is basically part of the training & big thing to end with by acknowledging your achievements & how you got there” ”its a big date in our NHS calendar”  and only can't go if have good reason. so yeah guess do have to go

It sounds like you're feeling quite worried about graduation. Are you worried about the speech you have to do or are there other things about the day you're worried about? 

Well done again Shaunie! Very proud of you <3

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤