Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

[OLD] The 'I need a hug' thread - please read first post before posting :)

Comments

• Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,956 Extreme Poster
    JustV wrote: »
    No one asked about this but it feels related: apparently it's common for people with ADHD to self-medicate with stimulants (like caffeine or sugar) to regulate their ability to focus. And I think that's probably what I was doing without realising, which explains a lot!

@JustV hmm cause I've heard that with ADHD it's best not to consume caffeine cause it makes the inattentiveness much worse 🤔
    Maybe I understood it wrong idk. Just putting it out there
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,353 Part of The Furniture
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    No one asked about this but it feels related: apparently it's common for people with ADHD to self-medicate with stimulants (like caffeine or sugar) to regulate their ability to focus. And I think that's probably what I was doing without realising, which explains a lot!

@JustV hmm cause I've heard that with ADHD it's best not to consume caffeine cause it makes the inattentiveness much worse 🤔
    I thought this too, but it turns out stimulants affect ADHD brains differently. I realise I'm getting on a tangent in the hugs thread so I'll try to keep it brief.

Basically other kinds of stimulants are sometimes prescribed to people with ADHD, so caffeine (poorly) mimics the effect they have on you. You'd think that stimulants make your brain more chaotic, but what actually happens is the brake pedal in your brain gets stronger. So the stimulant helps your brain restrain other parts of your brain, helping you to focus better. My understanding is that non-ADHD brains can do that on their own, whereas we need a bit of help.

It's a bit counter-intuitive and I realise I'm saying this with no sourcing, but would be happy to share more info on what I learned in a diff thread if you're interested. :)
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    @JustV that is interesting. Yeah I would be happy if you shared more about it, if you want to of course (and have time). I'm learning more and more about ADHD atm so might find it helpful :)
  • Options
    spacedogspacedog Posts: 984 Part of The Mix Family
    In terms of losing weight - should I focus on more exercise or more focused around my diet??
  • Options
    Also I want to start rock climbing again - I'm worried about my fingers though because I want to study violin but it was my only source of exercise, and my violin teacher said to do what you want, don't try build your life around violin lol
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,166 Community Veteran
    Siena wrote: »
    Thank you. @JustV think it’s because I’m also drinking energy drinks so probably bad combo. So I’ll cut down
    Makes sense @Siena. :) I get them a lot when I'm stressed, and worse if I'm overtired or hopped up on caffeine. Might be a similar thing to you - I know energy drinks are pretty loaded!

Would you recommend any @JustV??? I've tried red bull but it tastes like Calpol and I hate it, but I need to stay awake
    Sorry @IainJammyboy poorly phrased - I meant I get palpitations a lot, not energy drinks haha

I've actually never had an energy drink, which feels weird to say out loud. My fuel of choice tends to be caffeine in the form of diet coke, though I'm trying to give it up. 🥱

Ooh I've never had an energy drink either! I also don't drink coffee at all. I do have fizzy drinks quite often but not really as a means of getting energy.
    Maybe that's why I feel so tired all the time :lol:

Stupid question. Is it just coke that has caffeine or do most fizzy drinks do? (Eg. fanta sprite etc.)

Hey @J
    Siena wrote: »
    Thank you. @JustV think it’s because I’m also drinking energy drinks so probably bad combo. So I’ll cut down
    Makes sense @Siena. :) I get them a lot when I'm stressed, and worse if I'm overtired or hopped up on caffeine. Might be a similar thing to you - I know energy drinks are pretty loaded!

Would you recommend any @JustV??? I've tried red bull but it tastes like Calpol and I hate it, but I need to stay awake
    Sorry @IainJammyboy poorly phrased - I meant I get palpitations a lot, not energy drinks haha

I've actually never had an energy drink, which feels weird to say out loud. My fuel of choice tends to be caffeine in the form of diet coke, though I'm trying to give it up. 🥱

Ooh I've never had an energy drink either! I also don't drink coffee at all. I do have fizzy drinks quite often but not really as a means of getting energy.
    Maybe that's why I feel so tired all the time :lol:

Stupid question. Is it just coke that has caffeine or do most fizzy drinks do? (Eg. fanta sprite etc.)

Hey @JJLemon18 that's not a stupid question at all and is actually a very good one. I may not be the best at answering this for you but I am guessing that coke and most fizzy drinks do contain an amount of caffine as there is some caffinate extract in most drinks especially in coke unless it's coke zero or diet coke which does still have caffefine but at a more refined amount. I also drink a load of fizzy drinks especially sugary sprite in work a lot which helps me but then makes me very hyper all day. I think you can get caffeine free coke actually somewhere but it's quite rare.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options

I thought this too, but it turns out stimulants affect ADHD brains differently. I realise I'm getting on a tangent in the hugs thread so I'll try to keep it brief.

Basically other kinds of stimulants are sometimes prescribed to people with ADHD, so caffeine (poorly) mimics the effect they have on you. You'd think that stimulants make your brain more chaotic, but what actually happens is the brake pedal in your brain gets stronger. So the stimulant helps your brain restrain other parts of your brain, helping you to focus better. My understanding is that non-ADHD brains can do that on their own, whereas we need a bit of help.

It's a bit counter-intuitive and I realise I'm saying this with no sourcing, but would be happy to share more info on what I learned in a diff thread if you're interested. :)

Hey @JustV I noticed your post and as someone who has ADHD I feel like I can relate especially to using caffeine and caffeinated drinks as a form of stimuli and self-medication. I am not medicated for my ADHD but am on medication for anxiety/OCD symptoms, therefore it can be quite hard for me to get through a regular day without my daily intake of caffeine and I find it helps me to wake up (though sometimes I drink too much and feel super sleepy afterwards). I used to try to drink more water to stay hydrated throughout the day because sometimes what I found when drinking caffeinated drinks was that I would get more thirsty and start craving more drinks to the point where I would be too hyper viligant and alert so it would be a challenge for me to relax in the evenings (yet alone my sleeping patterns). I now have kind of broken my streak of drinking water more and instead venture for fizzy drinks like coke or sprite (sprite is my go to). I just thought I would share this a bit. I think for a lot of us as you mentioned, for most people with ADHD fizzy drinks help us to regulate more and boost our brain activity so we can take charge and focus on things we need to do. Thought I'd share my experience with this :).
  • Options
    I like the way drinking just helps numb all these feelings
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,168 Wise Owl
    @JJLemon18 i can confirm that I don’t hate you lol
  • Options
    Can't find any ways to hide sh scars when going to gym
  • Options
    I actually feel alright - I really really wish I could feel like this all the time, just normal
  • Options
    Saw someone else at the gym with sh scars
  • Options
    edited January 18
  • Options
    I feel so anxious, I haven’t missed this!
  • Options
    Feeling so crap again, and very dissociated, pretty much every day at this point. Plus I feel like everyone secretly hates me.

I can also confirm that I don't think a lot of us here hate you and we value you a lot. You a valid user here like anyone else and you matter <3. I find zoning out or dissociating can be quite tiring too as well especially if it is a frequent thing too <3.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,154 Wise Owl
    sending lots of hugs to everyone that wants one :3
  • Options
    Amy22 wrote: »
    Feeling so crap again, and very dissociated, pretty much every day at this point. Plus I feel like everyone secretly hates me.

I can also confirm that I don't think a lot of us here hate you and we value you a lot. You a valid user here like anyone else and you matter <3. I find zoning out or dissociating can be quite tiring too as well especially if it is a frequent thing too <3.

Thank you @Amy22 :3

I meant in general tho. I really do feel valued here (or you guys are just very good at pretending haha), which I think is why I talk and share so much here.

Still doesn't help with the feeling that I'm bothering everyone I talk to. Plus I feel like I talk way too much, and I always have something to say.
  • Options
    @JJLemon18 I feel similar to be honest but I promise you’re not bothering us, even if that’s hard to believe. I feel like I never shut up and that everyone just wants me to disappear. Not trying to be dismissive, but I think you’re being a lot more critical of yourself than we are of you.
    (Sorry if I’m replying to you too much, I hate to see people feeling rubbish when I can relate.)
  • Options
    @AnonymousToe sorry that you also feel like this <3
    Sorry if I’m replying to you too much
    There's no reason to apologise! And theres no such thing as replying too much to me haha.

But yea it's definitely me being self critical to some extent (and you too I can see). But okay I'll end this topic here as I don't want to use up so much space here
  • Options
    @AnonymousToe do you never sleep lol, it's actually kind of impressive how often you're online lmao
  • Options
    @IainJammyboy my sleeping is so messed up 😅😂
  • Options
    GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    Crying. All I do these days is wake up, eat, drink myself into oblivion and then just sleep

Hey @IainJammyboy just dropping in to send some hugs your way <3

Just wanted to say I edited your post slightly just to take out the sh reference in keeping with guidelines. You are so deserving of support Iain. <3

The organisation Mind has a great article with some tips on coping with urges to SH. There are also apps like Calm Harm and distrACT with tips and techniques on coping with SH that you might like to look into.

It sounds like things are feeling bleak right now but there is light at the end of the tunnel always <3
This discussion has been closed.