Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fat people...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Balddog

BMI is the biggest pile of shit ive ever seen in my life :)

Every moderately successful bodybuilder would be classed as obese on the BMI scale. It doesnt take muscle into account.

You could have someone who weighed 16 stone at 5'10" with 5% bodyfat and they would be classed as obese..

Total rubbish...Russel Crowe, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Stallone etc are all obese by the BMI scale. Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt are classed as overweight.

Absolutely true.

Any athlete who's sport requires them to have a great deal of muscle mass would be considered obese to sickeningly obese, even though these guys could probably run circles around 99% of the general population....
  • Options
    Agreed. BMI is rubbish. According to the BMI counter, I am overweight, but I'm trying to get heavier (as in muscle heavier, not fat heavier).
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    but theyve got as much right to enjoy chocolate as me, why should I have rights that they dont?
    Because their fat, and your not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by crescendo
    Because their fat, and your not.

which makes them less human and less deserving than me?????
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    which makes them less human and less deserving than me?????
    If you want the harsh answer, then I'd say 'YES'. The fact that your healthy, and their not does make them less human than you (due to their own eating habits and lazyness), and they are less deserving to have a chocolate bar than you are if they want to lose weight.
    I know I'm gonna have to repeat myself sooner of later, so I might as well say it now.....THIS IS NOT AIMED AT THE MINORITY OF OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE (who have a disease, or disorder etc), IT IS AIMED AT THE MAJORITY OF LAZY OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE!
  • Options
    If you want the harsh answer, then I'd say 'YES'. The fact that your healthy, and their not does make them less human than you (due to their own eating habits and lazyness), and they are less deserving to have a chocolate bar than you are if they want to lose weight.
    I know I'm gonna have to repeat myself sooner of later, so I might as well say it now.....THIS IS NOT AIMED AT THE MINORITY OF OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE (who have a disease, or disorder etc), IT IS AIMED AT THE MAJORITY OF LAZY OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE!

:lol: OMG! I am less human and less deserving because I am fat! Who the fuck are you to say that to a fat person?! :rolleyes: your not trying to motivate people your making it sound like being fat is like some disgusting disease :impissed: grow up crescendo!
  • Options
    I knew I shouldn't have said that, but oh well, I did. Actually......now that I think about it, its true. I think its fair to say that a lazy fat person who eats junk is less human than a person who looks after themselves. (In that aspect alone, obviously, on the whole, if other things were taken into consideration, then who know's whose more human).
  • Options
    (please read all of what I actually said, and understand what I meant, not just the....."I think its fair to say that a lazy fat person is less human than a person who takes care of themselves".....bit). Clearly, we are all human.
  • Options
    what makes you think im more healthy because i am slim? I know someone whos anorexic, shes very slim, not very healthy though. For years i kept my weight down by throwing up everything i ate- not very healthy but i was certainly slim, at least a stone lighter than I am now, and I didnt look emaciated, youd never have known to look at me. You cannot judge how healthy someone is by outside appearances. You keep saying that its a minority of people that are overweight because of eating disorders or illness, and its because they are just lazy. Well id beg to differ, Id say that most people who are obese do have an eating disorder or illness. You are lucky if food doesnt affect you emotionally, but I for one get a lot of pleasure from food - maybe its a woman thing, I know my husband doesnt love food in the same way, he just eats when hes hungry, therefore he doesnt really put on weight, whereas I crave chocolate and sweeties and eating them makes me happy. I have to ration myself to a certain extent, or cut back when i notice the weight creep on.
    If it was anybody else who said that fat people were less human, then id be shocked, but since its you, its expected :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Lets break this down to see what I actually meant:
    In life, in terms of eating, taking care of themselves, and overall health, a lazy fat person is not as 'good' as a healthy person who takes care of themselves.
    In terms of, eg, behaviour, a criminal who mugs everyday is not as 'good' as a person who doesn't mug.
    In terms of driving, a person who regularly drives over the speed limit is not as 'good' as a person who sticks to the speed limit.

(I know I'm getting silly here, but I'm trying to make my point).

In terms of generosity, a well off person who doesn't give money to charity isn't as 'good' as a well off person who does.
    I can go on and on and on.
    Now, add all of these things up, and you should get a figure to see how much more a person is 'human' compared to another person. Silly I know, but do you get the idea.
    To tell the truth, I think 'rainbow brites' initial comment which was 'does that make them less human and deserving than me' (for eating chocolate) was rather unnecessary. I think she knew what I meant.
    Fat people, who want to lose weight shouldn't eat chocolates if they want to lose weight. Yes, eating in moderation is an issue, but if you want to lose weight fast, then I suggest cutting it out of your diet completely. It is useless calories, and any goodness in it can be found in other healthier foods.
  • Options
    Shocking, absolutely shocking. Crescendo, I find your attitude disgusting. Firstly, no-one asked for your so called "motivational" tips. Secondly, what right do you have to sit in judgement of any persons humanity?

I could spout off here for hours but I'm a bit shell shocked by your statements, so I think I'll leave it for a while.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lovedup
    Shocking, absolutely shocking. Crescendo, I find your attitude disgusting. Firstly, no-one asked for your so called "motivational" tips. Secondly, what right do you have to sit in judgement of any persons humanity?

I could spout off here for hours but I'm a bit shell shocked by your statements, so I think I'll leave it for a while.
    The only 'shocking' thing I've said is that unhealthy people aren't as human as healthy people (which I've justified above if you take your time to read the long reply (2 replies before this). Apart from that, most of what I said was motivational. Plus, it isn't easy to answer questions such as:
    "Are unhealthy people who eat chocolate less human than healthy people?"
    How else would you answer that question without simply saying 'No their not any less human'. Clearly, everyone is as human as everyone else, but I had to make a point didn't I, without being all 'nice'?
    I'm not an animal, I do have feelings. I don't go around saying all these things to people to their face, but we can't ignore these issues. Obesity is on the increase. There are a lot of fat people out there who want to lose weight, and you may criticise my tactics for addressing this issue, but the majority of peoples tactics of reassuring them (e.g. "Being fat is OK", "Don't worry, one chocolate bar isn't gonna kill you"......etc) isn't exactly helping is it? I'm sorry if I've caused any offence, but I still do think that a lot of people in this country are just lazy, McDonalds eating, technology relying, overweight people, who are following in the footsteps of the Americans, and a few motivational harsh words can only be a 'kick up the backside' (so to speak) can't they?
  • Options
    ....a few motivational harsh words can only be a 'kick up the backside' (so to speak) can't they?

I dont personally feel your harsh words to be motivating at all, it reads more like a 'slap the fat kid'.
    I understand your point, but dont agree with the way its put over, nor do I agree with the way you generalise about fat people, and dont try to understand that things arent just black and white so to speak.
    You may not actually 'say' these things to a fat persons face in your 'real' life so why then do you post them on here, where 'real' people can read them, the written word often cuts deeper. Are you just a bully that hides behind the computer screen for protection?
    I dont think youve tackled this very issue well at all, you want us to think you had the best of intentions when posting the thread but some of your comments including those in your original post are just plain insensitive. Fat people have feelings, fat people need motivating and you can constructively critisise someone without resorting to being nasty. Maybe you cant see it in your own postings, but from the reaction youve had here I think alot of others can.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth

it's unhealthy to be ginger.

you get my point.

Not quite. Because clinically, it isn't. If it makes someone upset, then it obviously isn't good for them and they'll have to find ways to deal with that, but that's not the same as heart disease, high bp etc etc etc which are potentially life threatening and brought on by obesity and lack of physical activity. Being fat isn't good for people. And I think that IS black and white.

I understand what crescendo is saying pretty much although I can see that's its not the most human way of putting a point across. It's controversial but obviously hits a nerve and this does a good job of making people think. It's not very good from a practical point of view (as in helping people) but most of what is said I agree with.
    Lets break this down to see what I actually meant:
    In life, in terms of eating, taking care of themselves, and overall health, a lazy fat person is not as 'good' as a healthy person who takes care of themselves.

If people are deliberately making themselves unhealthy then I agree that they are less deserving. To illustrate this, many surgeons now refuse to operate on smokers with even life threatening illness unless they have stopped smoking for several months and intend to stay stopped. They don't deserve the effort and resources if they're just going to carry on harming themselves. As far as the human thing goes, I used to be quite ill from epilepsy and a severe candida infection in my gut and that made me less human than others because I literally didn't FEEL human. Obviously, you can't just expect to change habits and lifestyles just like that so education and support is essential (& I think crescendo is just trying to make the point, not give the support).
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't understand why anyone has a problem with overweight people, why don't we all live and let live?

I find it sad that a post has been opened to insult overweight people. It's tactless dude.
  • Options
    ok peeps, if you can't use BMI as a means to determine as to wether u r overweight or not, how do u tell if you are overwight? what do people class as overweight?
  • Options
    Bodyfat percentage...

Women.

Essential fat - 10-12%
    Athletes - 14-20%
    Fitness - 21-24%
    Acceptable - 25-31%
    Obese - 32%+

Men

Essential fat - 2-4%
    Athletes - 6-13%
    Ftiness - 14-17%
    Acceptable - 18-25%
    Obese - 25%+
  • Options
    I think metabolism does have a great role in determining the weight of the person. I know I eat about the same amount of all of my friends. In fact, some of my tiny, skinny sized 8 friends eat more than I do. The majority of them don't exercise as much as me either and it shows when you do stuff like D of E walking experditions. Although I am not "fat" I am also not skinny. I would just like to point out that thin does not equal fit and healthy
  • Options
    Very true, but many obese people seem to use metabolism as a blame tool for being overweight. The food you eat and the kind of lifestlye you live effects your metabolism. A lot of people seem to overlook this!
  • Options
    (keep in mind, I only read a few of the posts before responding)

explain to me, then, how i can still be a size 12-14 (American), when all I eat is healthy goods?

your theory doesn't work.

what you say would work to lose weight, yes, but it's harder than that. its a long slow process. and if you have no motivation, no willpower, or no self-confidence the process is even slower.

Edit: Jil cannot spell well. Forgive me.
  • Options
    Here's some food for thought:

A new study by the U.S Department of Agriculture's Economic Research has analyzed 5, 274 respondents to find out which behaviors and attitudes correlated with weight control. Women who believe that weight is a matter of individual control are thinner than those who think it's genetically determined.

I agree with those of you on here who think being, uh, "fat" is a problem that everyone has to taken personal responsibility for and stop making excuses for their size. Being overweight is unattractive, and much more importantly, unhealthy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by deadinhollywood
    (keep in mind, I only read a few of the posts before responding)

explain to me, then, how i can still be a size 12-14 (American), when all I eat is healthy goods?

your theory doesn't work.

Maybe your not active enough, or the 'healthy' food that you think your eating isn't as healthy as you think it is.
    E.g. a tuna sandwich sounds very healthy, but not if its drenched in full fat mayonnaise.

what you say would would to lose weight, yes, but it's harder than that. its a long slow process. and if you have no motivation, no willpower, or no self-confidence the process is even slower.

I slightly agree with you, but if they have the time and motivation to do unhealthy stuff, like queue up at the chip shop, fill their trollys with unhealthy food instead of healthy foods (which would take the same time)....etc, then why can't they have the motivation to do the healthy stuff?
  • Options
    I'm sorry but I have to agree with Crescendo...
    I mean, only up until about a year ago, I was really fat and ugly.
    I got so depressed I did something about it.
    I'm now 2 stone lighter, and "good lookin" according to my male mates.
    Regular excersize and health eating is great. And it does work, only if you're not lazy and give up on the 3rd week of trying.
    A few years ago, my mum made me a deal. She said, "Lose the weight you need to, and you can have your belly button pierced. I'll pay."
    Ever since then, I've been losing weight. I've lost 2 stone, and am now at the right weight according to the BMI scale.
    All I needed was that little push, and here I am now, confident wth my size, and generally chuffed with my weight.
    Here I come with the navel piercing :D

Blessed Be x
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but what is "a stone"? Everyone keeps using this term and i have no idea how much it is.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sarebear246
    I'm sorry, but what is "a stone"? Everyone keeps using this term and i have no idea how much it is.

1 stone = 14lbs.
  • Options
    Maybe your not active enough, or the 'healthy' food that you think your eating isn't as healthy as you think it is.
    E.g. a tuna sandwich sounds very healthy, but not if its drenched in full fat mayonnaise.

I am highly active. Not nearly as much lately, due to my knee. (I re-tore ligaments a couple months back, and it's still healing) but I do as much as I can, even if its only walking as of right now.
    I slightly agree with you, but if they have the time and motivation to do unhealthy stuff, like queue up at the chip shop, fill their trollys with unhealthy food instead of healthy foods (which would take the same time)....etc, then why can't they have the motivation to do the healthy stuff?

good point. but any people like that that i've met, could care less. Maybe they don't have the knowledge of healthy foods and so choose foods that are less healthy. Those that would much prefer fat and grease for every square meal then something else, are in trouble. Anyone over weight that I know will graciously trade in their chips for a carrot yet still cant find the motivation to try harder (ie: be active, etc) .

really, I cant speak for anyone but myself. I myself have made the choice to be active and eat healthy. And I myself have lost a LOT of weight. (however, my dress size hasn't changed much) and I know that it took a lot of willpower and motivation as well as a lot of knowledge.
  • Options
    yeah...it really annoys me that does.people who are fat complain about being fat....but they don't do anything about it!i'm like whats the point in saying something and going on and on if your not going to do anything about it.
  • Options
    I eat so much junk food and I'm really thin. I also surf and skate.

And in my school if you are fat you are made to feel ugly, lazy, stupid. Why? Why do people have to be soooo mean? If someone isn't attractive to you...why not keep it to yourself? (This isn't aimed at anyone on this board...I'm thinking of people at my school.)