Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fat people...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just looking at a fat person and thinking that their ugly, lazy or stupid is out of order. However, looking at a fat person eating fatty, unhealthy food makes you think that they are lazy and stupid.
  • Options
    Remember, my post was aimed at people in my school. ..not anyone on the Site.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sarebear246

Being overweight is unattractive, and much more importantly, unhealthy.

Says who??? you??????

Why cant people stop having a go at obese people? its their life, they are not hurting you so why keep having a go at them?
    Have some of you though that while your all spouting your mouths off about overweight people you are giving them verbal abuse here, youre probably taking the piss out of some of the people who we call friends on this site? As far as im concerned its their life, if they want to stay obese well let them be, if they want to lose weight then lets support them but when people start calling them unattractive then im sorry it really annoys me. Just because you may not like someone who is overweight it doesent give you the right to call them.

Just for the record im 5ft4 and weigh 8st 7 so im not obese, im probably one of the people you would also call because some people class me as skinny. All I can say is that its not nice getting called names and stuff because of your weight regardless of wether its because youre underweight or overweight.

Also none of us are perfect...........not even you !!

Thank you Hunny:p ok you can edit your post now, I will have them all calling me names for being stupid now ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

Says who??? you??????

Why cant people stop having a go at obese people? its their life, they are not hurting you so why keep having a go at them?
    Have some of you though that while your all spouting your mouths off about overweight people you are giving them verbal abuse here, youre probably taking the piss out of some of the people who we call friends on this site? As far as im concerned its their life, if they want to stay obese well let them be, if they want to lose weight then lets support them but when people start calling them unattractive then im sorry it really annoys me. Just because you may not like someone who is overweight it doesent give you the right to call them.

Just for the record im 5ft4 and weigh 8st 7lb so im not obese, im probably one of the people you would also call because some people class me as skinny. All I can say is that its not nice getting called names and stuff because of your weight regardless of wether its because youre underweight or overweight.

Also none of us are perfect...........not even you !!

Very well said Becky! I'd just like to jump in and inform you all that you can't choose whether to be obese or slim. It's the way you are born. Only a select few overweight or obese people can slim, and even many of them put the weight back on sometimes. My friend Clare is 7 stone overweight *very obese* She tries to lose weight, she really does but she can't stay on a diet for too long because she'll just pig out. Obesity is in her genes. I'm 5'3, about 8st 10, I'd probably be larger because of my genes if I didn't dance and do taekwondo and loved my veggies so much.

Just for the record, she is not unattractive, I think she's very pretty. Lots of people go for larger partners, something to hold onto.

LMAO. Done Becks. And I got your PM thanks!

Lol
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I eat so much junk food and I'm really thin. I also surf and skate.

And in my school if you are fat you are made to feel ugly, lazy, stupid. Why? Why do people have to be soooo mean? If someone isn't attractive to you...why not keep it to yourself? (This isn't aimed at anyone on this board...I'm thinking of people at my school.)

it may be wrong for me to assume this, i mean i cant judge the whole USA on the basis of meeting 5 americans, but the 5 americans i did meet all had eating disorders.
    and a lot of friends have agreed that any americans they have met are either dangerously obese or dangerously anorexic. it just seems to me that its one extreme to another, there just seems to be so much pressure on people to look good that they starve themselves or make themselves sick, or just ignore it and comfort eat, therefore making themselves overweight. is it like that everywhere?

i just think that assuming someone is ugly and lazy and stupid because they are overweight is just soooo unfair.
    also, some obese people may get to the point where they are so big they decide they want to lose weight and yet its so hard for them to take up exercise, because they are just so heavy.

to an extent i agree with hunnypot that obesity is in the genes. i mean, some peoples weakness is food. i am dieting and i pig out every thursday on weigh-in day (only if i have lost weight that week) and just start afresh the next day. but while i allow myself treats like chips and chocolate and crisps that i wouldnt allow myself the rest of the week, i still have to control it, its not like i eat 5 bars of choc (like i used to), however tempting it may be.
    whilst i am not obese, i am overweight. and it really hurts. its a constant battle with food. but i am doing something about it with Weight Watchers and although i have lost about 11lbs so far (and didnt gain over xmas!) , its still a constant battle. i have to work hard to lose the weight. its a helpt that i do a lot of exercise which i actually like doing, cos if i do eat more than i should have, i wont gain the weight cos i get bonus points from exercise.
    having said that, there was one week at weight watchers that i put on half a pound and i was gutted. i thought it was the end of the world.
    i just wish people would think twice before they call people names. true, some people are gluttons, complain about being fat but dont really care too much to do anything about it, but the majority really do want to do something about it but just need a kick in the right direction.
    i have a friend who is really naturally skinny. she has lost weight recently as she broke up with her boyfriend and is just not eating or sleeping (altho she wants to eat, she isnt developing an eating disorder). people are always "oh you are just too skinny, how do you stay so skinny, you are so thin" and she hates it.
    being underweight or overweight is a hard thing to deal with but at the end of the day its a personal thing unless a person asks for help. people shouldnt be made to feel guilty about being overweight or underweight. some people cant help being big.
    im big! i weigh just under 14 stone and my goal weight is 11 stone! im not even that tall but im big boned! so i will never be a size 10 like. but that doesnt bother me.
    as i said in another post on this thread, you can try and motivate someone as much as you want but at the end of the day its their personal decision whether or not they are going to do anything about it.
  • Options
    To BeckyBoo:

I'm not calling anyone names. I'm simply stating facts. Being overweight IS unhealthy, ask any doctor. "Nearly every serious disease we face is either brought on by or exacerbated by taking in too many calories and building up excess fat on our bodies." (www.slimmeryou.org). Being overweight puts stress on your body and bones, raises your cholesterol and blood pressure, and significantly raises your chance of having a heart attack. You can't argue that being overweight is very unhealthy.

As for appearences, consider this: Millions of people go on diets to lose weight. I've never heard of anyone going on a diet to gain weight. Our culture holds being thin and fit as attractive and flaunts this in the media and advertising. This is why so many Americans have eating disorders to become thin, because being thin is considered the ideal body shape here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud

but while i allow myself treats like chips and chocolate and crisps that i wouldnt allow myself the rest of the week, i still have to control it, its not like i eat 5 bars of choc (like i used to), however tempting it may be.
    whilst i am not obese, i am overweight. and it really hurts. its a constant battle with food. but i am doing something about it with Weight Watchers and although i have lost about 11lbs so far (and didnt gain over xmas!)
    I just took a little quote from what u have just said, and I find some of it pretty ....... unbelievable.
    You say that being overweight really hurts, and you are trying to lose weight, but on the other hand, u allow yourself 'treats' such as chips, chocolate and crisps. Can I ask you WHY? Thats a contradiction in my point of view. Why do you still eat chips, chocolate and crisps? They may be 'treats', but I'm gonna ask again.......WHY? Don't you understand that these chips, chocolate and crisps are the actual fat that you are trying to get rid of, yet you keep putting it on yourself. In fact, why do you buy these things? Why are they in your house?
    I KNOW everyones gonna have a go at me for being to strict, and not even allowing people to have 'treats', but I don't think chips, chocolates and crisps are suitable 'treats' for someone whose hurt at being overweight, and is trying to lose weight.
    What will happen if you manage to get back to 11 stone? What will you do then? Go back to the 5 chocolate bars a day? Hang on, did I just read correctly........you used to have 5 chocolate bars a day? FIVE???!!!!! That is unbelieveable!!! I've NEVER had 5 chocolate bars in a day in my ENTIRE LIFE, not even once, and I can't believe you used this as an excuse to justify the 'treats' that you have while trying to lose weight. Let me just repeat what u said:

while i allow myself treats like chips and chocolate and crisps that i wouldnt allow myself the rest of the week, i still have to control it, its not like i eat 5 bars of choc (like i used to), however tempting it may be.

*Still can't believe you used to have FIVE chocolate bars a day*.

Anyway, I'm still wondering why you still eat these things if your hurt, and overweight ................................ let me answer for you ................. 'Because their nice'.
    Is that what your gonna say? I'll leave it to you to answer....
  • Options
    Crescendo why dont you just shut the fuck up, stop spouting hurtful things at people. Fat people can lose weight but Youll never be able to have a personality transplant.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Crescendo why dont you just shut the fuck up, stop spouting hurtful things at people. Fat people can lose weight but Youll never be able to have a personality transplant.
    Again, I'm gonna point you towards this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/1171636.stm
    Should these people who have posted their comments 'shut the fuck up' as well? I think that the fact that people ignore this issue, and consider being overweight as 'OK' is why there is an increasing obesity rate in the UK.
  • Options
    scarlettcloud what you said is true. I think the 24/7, MTV, TV and movie influence plus ads in the US make people want to look...like something I don't see on the beach and may not be possible for some people to achieve. Even the one's that over-eat, I think many of them do it because of the pressure too. Or maybe everyone in their families over-eats....
    Part of article related to this discussion:

Kate Thin-Slet: Pics Went Too Far
    Kate Winslet has admitted a magazine went too far when it airbrushed out her curves after a photoshoot. The actress insisted she had no desire to look so thin.GQ said it had "digitally enhanced" the pictures to make Kate appear slimmer.

Kate saw the altered pictures and approved them before publication.

And after they were released to the media she said she was pleased with the result.

'Excessive touching'

But Titanic star Kate added: "The re-touching is excessive. I don't look like that and I don't desire to look like that.

"I haven't suddenly lost 30lbs. I'm exactly the same as when I went to the Oscars last March."

Interviewed in the magazine, the 27-year-old Titanic star berates women for equating sex appeal with being thin and insists: "I'm completely physically comfortable with who I am."
  • Options
    I don't want to get into this debate any further but I want to say that I think Kate Winslet is really beautiful. :)
  • Options
    I'm trying to lose weight at the minute and not eating any chocolate/crisps/junk food. But that's easier said than done, we don't all have iron wills. Especially when you're at someones house and they're offering you chocolates, or you're out shopping and want some lunch, and all that is available is junk.

From a young age we associate food with things other than hunger, such as treats and something to cheer you up (especially chocolate which releases serotonin, and many women crave it before and during their period). It is very difficult to break that way of thinking.

Some people have displayed disgusting attitudes in this thread, and I would rather be a bit overweight than be so narrowminded and mean.
  • Options
    Im sure the people who are over-weight are well aware of that, rather than having people like you reminding them in such a hurtful way like that.

Yes, there is many people who are overweight, that didnt choose to be like that but why is it bugging you so much 'crescendo'.

It's not your problem, which means it's none of your business to cricticise people in how they live their lives.

And for the other people explaining, why your obese or for the people you know who are obese - You shouldnt have to justify youself to 'crescendo', especially with that attiude.

Rainbow Brite you have hit it on the nail :

Fat people can lose weight but Youll never be able to have a personality transplant.
  • Options
    OK can you all calm it down or I'll have to close this ... remember these boards are for discussion but not hurtful insults. Anyone carrying on insulting other board users will run the risk of being banned. I draw your attention to our

rules

which state: 1. Please respect the opinions of others. Just because you don’t agree, doesn’t give you the right to make personal attacks on that person.

Cheers
    Susie
  • Options
    People keep saying that other people's weight it is none of our business. That may be true, but when we have to listen to overweight people (friends or family or anyone) complain about how fat they are, and yet still eat junk food and not do anything about it - I think we have a right to speak up about it. And being honest is better than sugar-coating and saying "Oh, you're not fat. You look fine. Don't be silly. Have another candy bar."
  • Options
    No one is making you listen to peoples problems which you're obviously not very good in doing.

You have the right in helping, not cricticise in something you obviously don't understand.

Obese, is like anorexia - it's an illness, not only caused physically but also mentally.

Example:

Self-harming - when things are hard for them, they go somewhere private to cut themselves, as people who are over-weight over indulge by eating junk food.

Smoking - You light up a cigerette to relieve stress, etc.

It's not something you can put behind you, over-night.
  • Options
    What happened?

Dont know what happened there - but that was me that posted that, not 1st_angel - :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by crescendo
    I just took a little quote from what u have just said, and I find some of it pretty ....... unbelievable.
    You say that being overweight really hurts, and you are trying to lose weight, but on the other hand, u allow yourself 'treats' such as chips, chocolate and crisps. Can I ask you WHY? Thats a contradiction in my point of view. Why do you still eat chips, chocolate and crisps? They may be 'treats', but I'm gonna ask again.......WHY? Don't you understand that these chips, chocolate and crisps are the actual fat that you are trying to get rid of, yet you keep putting it on yourself. In fact, why do you buy these things? Why are they in your house?
    I KNOW everyones gonna have a go at me for being to strict, and not even allowing people to have 'treats', but I don't think chips, chocolates and crisps are suitable 'treats' for someone whose hurt at being overweight, and is trying to lose weight.
    What will happen if you manage to get back to 11 stone? What will you do then? Go back to the 5 chocolate bars a day? Hang on, did I just read correctly........you used to have 5 chocolate bars a day? FIVE???!!!!! That is unbelieveable!!! I've NEVER had 5 chocolate bars in a day in my ENTIRE LIFE, not even once, and I can't believe you used this as an excuse to justify the 'treats' that you have while trying to lose weight. Let me just repeat what u said:

while i allow myself treats like chips and chocolate and crisps that i wouldnt allow myself the rest of the week, i still have to control it, its not like i eat 5 bars of choc (like i used to), however tempting it may be.

*Still can't believe you used to have FIVE chocolate bars a day*.

Anyway, I'm still wondering why you still eat these things if your hurt, and overweight ................................ let me answer for you ................. 'Because their nice'.
    Is that what your gonna say? I'll leave it to you to answer....

i didnt ever eat 5 chocolate bars a day. i may have however eaten 5 chocolate bars perhaps when i had a binge (which even before weight watchers, was seldom). not every day. i didnt word that properly
    and i dont keep these things in my house. i allow myself them because i have been really good all week and in weigh-in i HAVE lost weight therefore i have some chocolate BECAUSE LIKE ANY NORMAL HUMAN BEING, I ENJOY CHOCOLATE.
    in fact i dont even have crisps, i dont like them. i was using it as an example.
    and i had chips last night with the rest of the family (who no are not overweight) because mum was tired and didnt want to cook, and i thought well actually its ok, i can have chips cos i lost weight this week and i can make up for it tomorrow. which i did. unless u understand the weight watchers points system and the concept of bonus points, and saving points from other meals then really PLEASE do not assume to know better than me. i allow myself the treat of a bar of chocolate because i HAVE lost weight. if i go to weigh in and i havent lost weight (which has happened once and i had put on half a pound) i sit down and look at my tracker (know what that is?) and see where i went wrong and put it right straight away.
    what will happen if i manage to get back to 11 stone? well i never was 11 stone, maybe when i was about 12 or something. but no, i will not go back to "5 choc bars a day", or the proper term, unheathly eating habits, because weight watchers isnt about dieting, its about changing the way you eat for the rest of your life. the truth is you can eat what u want on weight watchers cos every food has points and you are given a certain amount of points per day. you cut down portion sizes.
    however when i DO lose the weight (and yes im sure of it), weight watchers has a maintainence program in order to maintain the weight loss.
    and im sorry, i've just re-read, where did i write that i used to eat 5 chocolate bars A DAY?
    it says,
    "its not like i eat 5 choc bars (like i used to)"
    where does it say the words A DAY??????
    also, you say: dont i understand that the crisps chocolate and chips are the fats i am trying to get rid of but keep putting on.
    i dont keep putting on, due to the bonus points (where i get more points for exercising, and i exercise everyday) and borrowing points. if i dont use my bonus points, i lose MORE weight that week, but if i do decide to use them because i have over-ate, i will still lose the weight.
    as i said, unless you know anything about the weight watchers points system, including bonus points and borrowing points, please do not assume to know more than me about MY eating habits. and please read properly before quoting.
  • Options
    To BeckyBoo:
    As for appearences, consider this: Millions of people go on diets to lose weight. I've never heard of anyone going on a diet to gain weight. Our culture holds being thin and fit as attractive and flaunts this in the media and advertising. This is why so many Americans have eating disorders to become thin, because being thin is considered the ideal body shape here.

Have you not thought people that maybe people could get eating disorders by what you are putting here? Why are you interested if someone maybe overweight? it is up to them to decide they need to lose weight, then you support them. But for you to come out and call overweight people unattractive is not fair, who are you to judge anyone by their weight. Overweight people get enough stick in the real world without people like you calling them unattractive here.
    How I see it when you come out with comments like you did will just make people lose any self confidence they may have had and make them feel really bad about themselves, but thats ok because based on your opinion overweight people are unattractive:rolleyes:

To all the bigger girls or lads just ignore these people who seem to think they are perfect, if youre happy with your weight then thats ok:) if youre not happy and would like advice on losing weight then ask these professionals here if they can give you a few of their tips, seeing as they must have the perfect body to be dishing out comments like they have been :)
  • Options
    People keep saying that other people's weight it is none of our business. That may be true, but when we have to listen to overweight people (friends or family or anyone) complain about how fat they are, and yet still eat junk food and not do anything about it - I think we have a right to speak up about it.
    Then speak to your family or freinds dont bring it to some of my friends here, I find some comments made to be hurtful and im sorry I dont like to see anyone hurt with insults about their weight.
  • Options
    Scralett you did not need to justify anything there, as far as im concerned its your life, do as you please. Dont let people dictate what you should eat, when you should eat etc etc etc :)
  • Options
    i felt the need to justify myself as i didnt particularly like the way crescendo was just assuming things. im trying to get my point across and i dont deserve a personal attack from him for doing that. i have nothing more to say on the matter. i am doing what i am doing and its helping and im a bit happier with my weight, and i know im going to lose the rest. its gonna be tough, but im gonna do it for ME! not to prove to anyone else that i can. not to prove crescendo wrong, but for ME. this has just made me even more determined.
  • Options
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    its gonna be tough, but im gonna do it for ME! not to prove to anyone else that i can. not to prove crescendo wrong, but for ME. this has just made me even more determined.

Good on you, your'e doing it for YOU :)

So peeps why dont we help Scarlett instead of giving her personal attacks? Or help anyone who wants our help, but please stop the slagging off for being overweight in the first place.
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    Cheers Becky :)
  • Options
    As for appearences, consider this: Millions of people go on diets to lose weight. I've never heard of anyone going on a diet to gain weight

I have. My boyfriend is right now. He just can't seem to gain weight whatever he does. I think he is fine how he is - i love him to bits - but he is underweight for his age and height. However, no matter who much he eats he just can't seem to but on a bit of weight. He's a very active person and does Tang Soo Doo (sp) and LOADS of walking. I guess these aren't things that increase muscle. Perhaps lifting weights would increase his muscle and therefore increase his weight. However, this all goes towards proving my point about how hard it is to live up to peoples expectations of "normal weight". He is healthy, so what does it matter that he is slightly underweight.

Overall, i think very few people are really happy with their weights, but this is due to the environment we live. It's so sad: are generation are way to image conscience. Changing ourselves to be come better people is great, but pushing others towards something they will never achieve is just stupid.
  • Options
    I think Becky is right in saying that anti-fat comments can lead to eating disorders, as that was my experience. When i was just 16 and went on holiday to visit my dad, he spent the whole time making comments about how much I ate and how I was going to get fat etc (I wasnt fat, I just have always had a good appetite). I remember this being a real turning point for me, as before then my body image had never even been an issue for me at all. After I returned home i started a 4 year battle with bulimia, and even now im not fully over it. I believe that a lot more women have eating disorders than a lot of people realise.
  • Options
    it was similar with a friend of mine. her dad always made comments about how she would get fat (even tho she wasnt) if she continued to eat the way she did (even tho she just had a big appetite) . she wasnt fat at all but she took the comments to heart, and she developed bulimia.
    it didnt go on as long as 4 years, thankfully she was discovered after about 6 months but she is still trying to deal with it on year on.
    she put on a LOT of weight recently but was able to resist making herself sick in order to be slim again, and joined weight watchers. she lost all the weight she put on and is now a healthy weight, altho obviously still has her own personal struggles with food. but in many ways she has been such a good example to me. there have been many times when i have been tempted to stick my fingers down my throat and i have sometimes starved myself for a few days, but then i remember what it did to her and stop myself.
    i would just urge people like crescendo and others with negative opinions to think before they post. its fine trying to motivate people to try and lose weight, but be careful as you may even trigger the start of someones eating disorder.
  • Options
    I had no intentions of triggering any eating disorders. These are some quotes from my initial post:

"You can eat as much HEALTHY food as you want, and you won't get fat, as long as you keep active".
    Its not rocket science for gods sakes.
    Eat about 4-6 HEALTHY meals a day, and do cardiovascular exersise for about 20 mins 3 times a week, and YOU WILL GET SLIM!!! Your body will have no choice but to go slim if you do all this. And I don't mean do it for a week, I mean do it for the rest of your life!!!"

I am not encouraging people to starve themselve. I am encouraging people to eat as much as they want, but sensibly, and healthily.
  • Options
    That's awfully kind, that you're trying to offer advice, but try doing it in a subtle way next time.

Eating Junk Food, is like taking up smoking or drugs: U know it's bad, but some how, it helps comfort you.

Yes, we need to help encourage, people who want to lose weight, but doesn't help them by calling them 'Fat' every five minutes. Or cricticise everything they're 'supposedly' not doing right (in your opinion)
  • Options
    Peoples bodies works in different ways.

Some can put on weight easily, but harder to lose.
    Then others, find it hard to put on weight, but easier to lose.

We don't all have the same modivation and genes within all of us.
    Its also to do with how we were brought up.

Easily said than done.