Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fat people...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    i am fat. i am 14 stone. i am a size 16.

i joined weight watchers

i will never be a size 8.

i would also like to point out that i am actually very active, i swim and go to the gym 5-6 times a week as i work in a leisure centre and i am quite toned.

but when you see them eating chocolate and crisps its more often than not that they are comfort eating, something which is a hard habit to break, because i still do it.
    Just a few of your quotes scarlettcloud.
    Why did you join weight watchers? Your getting sucked into their money making scams. They may be helpful, but you don't need weight watchers to tell you that eating e.g. a chocolate bar is not healthy, and eating e.g. a salad sandwich on brown bread is. Your really wasting your time and money.

You don't need to be a size 8 to be considered 'not fat', you need an average or low amount of bodyfat to be considered 'not fat'.

You may be active, but like you said, eat the one single doughnut, and all of that exercise will go to waste.

'Comfort eating'.....ummm...I've heard of the phrase, but I consider it to be the lousiest excuse that a fat person can give for eating rubbish. Why can't you 'comfort eat' on a healthy baguette (without spreading margarine on it)? Like I said earlier, people who do these unhealthy things don't deserve to be slimmer.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lovedup

I personally come from a working class background where plenty of meats, tatties and fatty gravies are used. Pudding is always served. I personally don't eat like that anymore, because I am educated on healthy eating, but not everyone has that luxury. People ate like this during the War etc, but never gained an ounce because they were very active.

Can I just say, they didn't eat like this during the war at all! Rationing was in place so the reason they didn't put on an ounce was because they were forced to watch what they ate. After the war, people when nuts cuz sugar was available and that's when the weight trouble started. Ask me Gran!
  • Options
    'Comfort eating'.....ummm...I've heard of the phrase, but I consider it to be the lousiest excuse that a fat person can give for eating rubbish. Why can't you 'comfort eat' on a healthy baguette (without spreading margarine on it)? Like I said earlier, people who do these unhealthy things don't deserve to be slimmer.

How much comfort do you think a baguette would give you? You really have no idea do you.
    If only you could take a step back and realise that everyone does not have to be perfect to live a worthwhile and happy life and that some of these people are doing their damned hardest to lose the weight and you're just knocking them back with your crass views on what they should actually be doing. It doesn't happen overnight, things like Weight Watchers don't just tell you it's not healthy to eat a chocolate bar, they give you support through a difficult time. It's not just about not eating unhealthy things, it's about changing a whole lifestyle. Besides, for lots of fat people they have much deeper issues than being fat which need to be sorted out first. If you are still unhappy (which is often for reasons other than being fat) then you won't be able to stop "comfort eating" etc.
    Stop being so insensitive and just deal with the fact that you are thin, some people are not. Some are clever, some are not.
    Do we go around telling "thick people" to get an education? and that it's not that hard to read a book etc? LEAVE PEOPLE BE.
  • Options
    crescendo, you really dont have anything intelligent or worthwhile to say on this topic do you?

Youre just using it as a way to slag off fat people, you arent even attempting to understand the problems that cause people to have weight problems.

Maybe you have some personal issues about your fat past you need to deal with?

Overweight people have eating disorders, its not limited to underweight anorexics, they find it hard to stop eating, ie comfort eating, just because you dont and wont try to understand what this means, doesnt mean its not a real problem.

Youre living in an ideal world where none of us have emotional problems, are all educated adequately to prepare us for life and can afford to buy good food, hey wakey wakey babe! REAL life is screwed, we are constantly bombarded with ads for food we cant eat, posessions we cant afford, body images we cant acheive. Some are strongwilled enough to resist, some arent.

One day you'll grow up to realise that everything isnt as simple as youd like it to be and people are more than stereotypes, faces without feelings.
  • Options
    Originally posted by crescendo

Oh you idiot. Jesus, I was going to comment on the fact that I feel sorry for you because you don't seem to understand people at all, but it seems to me that you don't want to.

Excuse me and a million other people out there for being over weight. I'm terribly sorry if I can't bring myself to gorge on lettuce and superduperfatfreepackedfullofchemicalsbutter. People comfort eat for a reason. Comfort foods are often fattening foods. So fucking what?! What business is it of yours as to what other people eat and how they exercise?! What on EARTH does that have to do with you?! Just because you used to be a 'fat kid who couldn't help it' but now your fit and healthy, DOESNT mean you have the right to put other people down.
  • Options
    can you all calm it down and try to be a little more considerate in your posts if you want thye discussion to stay open

Ta :)
  • Options
    Crescendo, how tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your bf%?
  • Options
    Originally posted by pentunia apple

Can I just say, they didn't eat like this during the war at all! Rationing was in place so the reason they didn't put on an ounce was because they were forced to watch what they ate. After the war, people when nuts cuz sugar was available and that's when the weight trouble started. Ask me Gran!

Talk about nit picking! :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to point out that the generations before us didn't have any concerns with healthy eating and ate quite a fatty diet. In turn those eating habits have been passed down to many of this generation. Fair enough I generalised, but hey-ho....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Alabama
    Excuse me and a million other people out there for being over weight. I'm terribly sorry if I can't bring myself to gorge on lettuce and superduperfatfreepackedfullofchemicalsbutter. People comfort eat for a reason. Comfort foods are often fattening foods. So fucking what?! What business is it of yours as to what other people eat and how they exercise?! What on EARTH does that have to do with you?! Just because you used to be a 'fat kid who couldn't help it' but now your fit and healthy, DOESNT mean you have the right to put other people down.
    Alabama, you seem to have reverted to the infamous "Whats it got to do with you...etc" method to provide your argument instead of addressing the issue. Nice try, but it just shows that your reply didn't mean much.
    Anyway, I might as well answer your question. Whats it got to do with me?.....well if fat people aren't gonna do something about obesety, then thats where people like us have to step in. Ask yourself, whats it got to do people like Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, Tony Little, Mr Motivator.......(except for the fact that their making money and I'm not).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Crescendo, how tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your bf%?
    Why are you asking? I'm not here to show myself up. This thread isn't about me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lovedup

Talk about nit picking! :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to point out that the generations before us didn't have any concerns with healthy eating and ate quite a fatty diet. In turn those eating habits have been passed down to many of this generation. Fair enough I generalised, but hey-ho....

I wasn't trying to nit pick. I just didn't understand your point. Now you've clarified it, I do understand. Thank you!
  • Options
    Although a bit harsh, I do understand some of crescendo's views. As for Weight Watchers being a waste of time though, I don't believe that for a minute. Not everybody has the knowledge or the motivation to eat healthily and lose weight by themselves and I think weight loss classes are a great way to do it. Just like any other lessons, you can't learn them unless you want to get taught and you find someone/something to teach you. If you have to pay, you have to pay. And most people serious about losing weight are willing to do that. Whats the problem?
  • Options
    Why are you asking? I'm not here to show myself up. This thread isn't about me.

Im curious....but if you are ashamed, i understand.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pentunia apple
    Although a bit harsh, I do understand some of crescendo's views. As for Weight Watchers being a waste of time though, I don't believe that for a minute. Not everybody has the knowledge or the motivation to eat healthily and lose weight by themselves and I think weight loss classes are a great way to do it. Just like any other lessons, you can't learn them unless you want to get taught and you find someone/something to teach you. If you have to pay, you have to pay. And most people serious about losing weight are willing to do that. Whats the problem?
    Actually, your right. There are loads of people who don't know what 'healthy' means, and Weight Watchers can help these people. I think someone on thesite thought that a Mcdonalds burger was healthy because it has salad in it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Im curious....but if you are ashamed, i understand.
    I'm not ashamed, I just don't want this discussion to go off track. Anyway, seeing as your asking, I'm 5ft 10, 13 stone, with 10% bodyfat.
  • Options

Alabama, you seem to have reverted to the infamous "Whats it got to do with you...etc" method to provide your argument instead of addressing the issue. Nice try, but it just shows that your reply didn't mean much.
    Anyway, I might as well answer your question. Whats it got to do with me?.....well if fat people aren't gonna do something about obesety, then thats where people like us have to step in. Ask yourself, whats it got to do people like Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, Tony Little, Mr Motivator.......(except for the fact that their making money and I'm not).

Ok, I agree with you, I wasn't directly addressing the issue at hand.

But does it really matter? Isn't obesity a personal issue rather than a public one?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mz Stonedalot

...Its just society is fucked up and judges everything on appearance! :rolleyes:

:yes: Long live big booty girls!!!!! :yes:

is that not a little hypocritical?

And also, if anyone on here were to go on about "long live skinny booty girls" then i'm sure they'ld be a riot about discriminating the bigger woman...:rolleyes:

generally, what a lot of poeple do when arguing about the bigger poeple is totally put down the smaller people whislt doing so.. such as 'well at least we got curves, at least we dont look like we're about to snap, at least we dont look like geri haliwell, that skinny so&so, long live the bigger women' etc. The thing that gets to me that this is totally viable, wheras if a smaller person were to pose the same reversed statements then they would get a LOT of abuse about it.... im not making myself clear, but people generally dont realsie that they are hurting the feelings of others when saying such comments.

..not a lot to do with this post..sorry, i went on abit

:)

oh, and I do genrally agree with the initial idea, but was just put a bit too harshly :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by its meeeee

is that not a little hypocritical?

:rolleyes: I can promote big booty girls if I want!! Nothing that I have said has been directed towards thin girls, I am simply saying that there is nothing wrong with being big! :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mz Stonedalot

:rolleyes: I can promote big booty girls if I want!!

so why cant cracendo promote thinner people without having a riot on his hands...with you as one of the ring leaders..
  • Options
    i joined weight watchers because i have seen it work for my friends.
    to be honest i do think its a bit of a money racket, basically im paying £4 a week to get weighed. but each week you get a new booklet with menu plans and recipes and tips. and i also stay for the class where you hear about peoples success stories and it gives you motivation. also, so far its the only thing that is working for me. i have been going for 3 weeks and i have already lost half a stone. say what you like about it, but i really dont care what you think cos im gonna keep going anyway.
    i dont know where you got this idea to start up this thread and spark off this big debate, because at the end of the day other peoples weight is nothing to do with you. you can try and give someone as much motivation as you want, but at the end of the day if they want to do something about it they will.
  • Options
    Originally posted by its meeeee

so why cant cracendo promote thinner people without having a riot on his hands...with you as one of the ring leaders..

:lol: ring leader?! this isn't an argument in the playground! :rolleyes:

This is a forum people can express their opinions and feelings, the way in which crescendo worded his post was very offending in my point of view - basically sterotyping how fat people are and how they should act etc. He wasn't promoting thinner people he was telling fat people exactly what he thought of them and how they disgust him when he sees them eating! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ringleader..i used it as a casual term, figure of speech..etc.
    This is a forum people can express their opinions and feelings, the way in which crescendo worded his post was very offending in my point of view - basically sterotyping how fat people are and how they should act etc.
    When i read his post, i read it in the way that he was putting his opinions and feelings across, and although yes it was harsh, I could have been done in a much better way, at a basic level he was simply 'promoting' a healthier 'lifestyle', because it is a fact that overweight people can suffer from various health risks, such as high blood pressure, etc.
    he was telling fat people exactly what he thought of them and how they disgust him when he sees them eating!
    I could have sworn that he said several times that he wasnt doing this, but was annoyed at the way those pople who are overweight moan about their weight, and then eat unhealthily.
    this isn't an argument in the playground
    Isn't it? thats what it seemed like when i read though it. Crecendo posted his opinion, although not in the best of ways, but still his opinion, and he got back a lot of personal insults.

Anwya, sorry about arguing with you, wasn't directed directly at you, just one of those moments :)
  • Options
    I was intending to motivate people, hence, the clear statements like:
    "YOU EAT FAT, YOU GET FAT!"
    "YOU EAT CHOCOLATE, YOU GET FAT!"
    "I'm not even fat, and do you know how many crisps, chocolates, and sweets I eat in a day........NONE!! ZERO!! 0%".

Thanks 'its meeeee' for noticing that.
  • Options
    well I eat chocolate and crisps and im not fat either as ive previously said. Crescendo is probably slimmer than me, but he doesnt get to eat chocolate. id rather have the choccy!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    well I eat chocolate and crisps and im not fat either as ive previously said. Crescendo is probably slimmer than me, but he doesnt get to eat chocolate. id rather have the choccy!
    Please don't confuse people. There are people that can eat as much junk food as they want, and remain thin (ectomorphs as I stated earlier). Fat people are obviously not these type of people, therefore, they shouldn't eat junk food. Its all soooooooooooo simple.
  • Options
    but theyve got as much right to enjoy chocolate as me, why should I have rights that they dont? eating the odd bar of chocolate does not make anyone fat, you could eat 4 marsbars a day and still lose weight as that is only roughly 1200 calories, its not a balanced diet though obviously. the odd bit of chocolate or packet of crisps doesnt make any difference. its consistently taking in more calories than you use that makes you put on weight. Theres no such thing as bad foods and good foods, its everything in moderation. I do have to watch what i eat unfortunatly, despite what you keep presuming. Everything in moderation!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Theres no such thing as bad foods and good foods, its everything in moderation

I'd have to disagree with you there! There's alot of stuff out there marketed as 'food' which has no nutitional content whatsoever and should not be consumed (or even sold) in my opinion!! Fresh is best after all!

Some foods are also 'bad' for you if, like me, you have medical problems and get ill if you eat them.
  • Options
    Some people have thyroid problems and others could have an eating disorder.

I put on a lot of weight when I was depressed because I'd comfort eat as food made me feel better, almost compencating for that empty hole inside. I put on weight because of what I ate and got made fun of. Being made fun of about your weight hurts like hell and I ate because I felt bad about myself. A vicious cycle.

"I eat because I'm unhappy and I'm unhappy because I eat..." Ring any bells?
  • Options
    what determins whether you are fat or not depends on your BMI as this is the amount of fat you are carrying. it also depends on your bone structure too.:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by miss behavin
    what determins whether you are fat or not depends on your BMI as this is the amount of fat you are carrying. it also depends on your bone structure too.:)

BMI is the biggest pile of shit ive ever seen in my life :)

Every moderately successful bodybuilder would be classed as obese on the BMI scale. It doesnt take muscle into account.

You could have someone who weighed 16 stone at 5'10" with 5% bodyfat and they would be classed as obese..

Total rubbish...Russel Crowe, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Stallone etc are all obese by the BMI scale. Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt are classed as overweight.