Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm in such a bad place right now and it scares me. Its been 5 years and 3 months since I started SHing and whilst I know I've progressed positively with it I can't help but focus on my downfalls and relapses.:(
  • Options
    im back to relying on harming-back to seeing it as my only way of coping-backwards to when i was harming everyday pretty much now-i dont want to be back here but cant seem to find my way out-how stupid am i-im sorry
  • Options
    How nice. There's a forum I post on and I used the email support thing on Saturday evening. The reply was basically being told that I need to cut down on my self harm. Does nayone understand how hard it really is?

Am I alone, or does anyone else find that none of the distractions ever work?
  • Options
    Sofie it takes time. Sometimes I still find there is nothing in the world that will stop me from doing it and other times I find distraction techniques work. Try not to lose perspective :)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    How nice. There's a forum I post on and I used the email support thing on Saturday evening. The reply was basically being told that I need to cut down on my self harm. Does nayone understand how hard it really is?

you will always get people who say these stupid kind of things-i think in a big way unless you have seen self harm first hand you dont understand-its not easy-take your time-you can only do what you can
  • Options
    you will always get people who say these stupid kind of things-i think in a big way unless you have seen self harm first hand you dont understand-its not easy-take your time-you can only do what you can

The thing is, it was supposedly a 'professional' type person who answered my question...
  • Options
    The thing is, it was supposedly a 'professional' type person who answered my question...

i dont know-i guess its hard to give advice when you dont know the whole situation-i still dont think what they say is right-you know yourself best-as i said just do what you can and do only your best
  • Options

They work if you want them to work, and they don't work if you don't want them to work.

People can choose not to self-harm, they can choose to go and do something else instead. But for a lot of people they are addicted to the feelings brought about by SH and they simply don't want to stop.
  • Options
    maybe

why however do dome not see thatpeople want help but find it hard as its something you've kept secret for years

my ex just was telling me he was being put on anti depressants and i asked him why and stuff and he turned and goes cos some of us want the help-i hate him for that-im trying to get help-im seeing a counsellor and stuff

i hate him

im sorry
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    They work if you want them to work, and they don't work if you don't want them to work.

It's never been like that for me. They only work for a certain amount of time.
    People can choose not to self-harm.

It's never been like that for me - I never chose to be in this situation or for anyone to find out in the first place. Someone did and I think this is the main reason why I'm in the situation I'm in now.:crying:
  • Options
    I dont think anyone chooses to be in this position to be honest. Hope it gets better for you soon xx
  • Options
    :banghead: I want to punch so many people at the moment. Why do they have to be so thick? Pissing me off when I dont already feel like I'm coping that well at the moment doesnt help.
  • Options
    :banghead: I want to punch so many people at the moment. Why do they have to be so thick? Pissing me off when I dont already feel like I'm coping that well at the moment doesnt help.

Hugs, I'm not doing well tonight either. Don't know what I want to do anymore. Feel so stressed and fucked off with everything.
  • Options
    *feels exactly the same as your-babe & freeallangels*:(
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

People can choose not to self-harm, they can choose to go and do something else instead. But for a lot of people they are addicted to the feelings brought about by SH and they simply don't want to stop.

A few years back I would have totally disagreed with that. Now I'm quite the opposite. Funny. Its true though.
  • Options
    Liv wrote: »
    I dont think anyone chooses to be in this position to be honest. Hope it gets better for you soon xx

I don' t think that was what Kermit meant TBH. I think that he was referring to the fact that everybody has a choice about what they do. When it comes to SH, people do have a choice. Unfortunately, it's all to easy to act before thinking about it. The idea of distraction techniques is to make you forget about SHing completely or at least to give you the time to think over what you're about to do, in which case you make a decision whether to do it or not. Sometimes you will make the right decision and others you won't. It you make the wrong decision, it shouldn't be seen as failure but something to learn from. Just like people who have anger management problems, you can try to practise what you are going to do next time you want to SH. Think about a situation that would stress you out, then go through the motions .... what distraction technique will you use, concentrate on making the better decision, etc. Then put yourself in a slightly stressful situation and go through the motions again. Eventually, after a lot of practise and lots of slip ups you should get to the point where you automatically do the right thing. What a lovely theory eh???

I find that part of the problem with giving up SH is the whole 'it's frowned upon' thing. Because it's seen as something bad, you feel guilty for doing it. I think that if the guilt was taken away, it would be easier to give up. I'm afraid that I can't really explain that but that was part of the problem for me.

And yes I know what you mean about the initial buzz of SH. Unfortunately it's hard to find something else that makes you feel so powerful that you forget about all of your problems for those few seconds/minutes. In the end, it's just a case of dealing with one thing at a time. Whilst you may all be feeling down, SH just makes things worse. It's another problem that you have to deal with and so it's a vicious circle.

I sincerely hope that things get better for you all. Please remember though that SH is not a coping mechanism at all. It might seem that way but it really isn't. I have been there and I do understand. It's just easier to recognise from the lighter end of the tunnel.

*group hug*
  • Options
    I have probably made one of the biggest misrakes ever. I told my tutor that something was wrong. She asked me if my parents knew and if they didn't, when I was going to tell them. I then said that my parents aren't around 'together' that often so it's probably be a bit hard. She jumpred to the conclusion that my dad was abusing me or something. :confused:

She then said that there's someone who she could talk to who has a list of counsellers or something.
  • Options
    Sofie, don't worry about the conclusions that she's jumping to. It sounds like she is going to help you with counsellors and stuff. Give it a go and keep your tutor informed. They will help you as much as possible. Well they should do anyway.

xxx
  • Options
    Firstly your tutor should respect your confidentiality wishes. Secondly have you tried conuselling?
  • Options
    Firstly your tutor should respect your confidentiality wishes.

She did say that she'd only say something to anyone if that's what I wanted.
    Secondly have you tried conuselling?

Not yet.
  • Options
    Thats good, you need someone you can trust. What do you think about counselling? I am hugely biased as counselling pretty much saved my life. But it was all in good time.
  • Options
    I feel mega sad :crying:
  • Options
    Thats good, you need someone you can trust. What do you think about counselling? I am hugely biased as counselling pretty much saved my life. But it was all in good time.

I'm not too sure, tbh. I have a real problem opening up to anyone IRL about this.:(
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I feel mega sad :crying:

how come?
  • Options
    how come?

No reason, just feel unhappy and theres nothing I can do to feel better
  • Options
    I know the feeling, just having a down day, I get those as well. just take it easy and treat yourself to something you want to cheer yourself up :)
  • Options
    counselling can help if you get along with it and you want to do it and your ready-the hardest part is taking the first step
  • Options
    I'm not ready yet. I'm not ready to get any help yet. Why can't anyone understand this?:(
  • Options
    I'm not ready yet. I'm not ready to get any help yet. Why can't anyone understand this?:(

its your decision if your not ready dont worry-just take your time-noones going to force you
  • Options
    Liv wrote: »
    I dont think anyone chooses to be in this position to be honest.

Yes, they do. It's not always a conscious decision, but its a choice nonetheless.

SH is not a coping mechanism- it is many things, but its not coping. I personally believe that SH is a chemical and physical addiction- its a great way of getting anger and pain out, and its a great chemical shot of adrenaline and endorphins as the blood starts to flow. It's very cathartic for about ten seconds, and then destructive for the rest of the time.

I do speak as someone who used to self-harm, and suffered from awful mental health for years. I've largely recovered, and if I can get to where I am from where I was then anyone can.