Unfortunate closure of other support sites

I have no idea if this can be addressed or if I'm speaking out of turn, but other support sites have been shut down. It's devastating that that support has been taken away, and it means more people are coming here for support and aren't used to how the boards and chat work here. Is there a way to highlight it more other than just sharing the chat guidelines and stuff? I dunno, chat tonight was uncomfortable and it seemed they thought they could get away with it because they could do so on the chatrooms they used on another support site. Anyone is welcome of course, the more people there are the more advice can be offered and whatnot, but there's a certain way to go about it that has always worked well on here.

Remove this thread or tell me off if I'm being a dick!

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I completely agree, sometimes people find it hard to differentiate the different support services and websites, and then think they're both the same, especially when people of a younger nature, I.E Mindfull is aimed at 11-17 year olds, with the average of of 15 years, so when you get a bunch of 15 year old's who have all made friends on other sites, all coming onto a site aimed at 16-25....it can annoy older people who don't have 'patience' or as much, for peoples silly games...

    I think there needs t be something sticky'd up explaining the difference ect...

    Just my opinion
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Emmalee wrote: »

    I think there needs t be something sticky'd up explaining the difference ect...


    This.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    With you on this.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is so relevant
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We do need to be more tolerant of people coming to the site having had a different experience of other support sites and their rules. But at the same time they also need to know and stick to the rules of the site. I think there is a middle ground that could be found but I think the rules need to be laid down a little bit more than they currently are.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    We do need to be more tolerant of people coming to the site having had a different experience of other support sites and their rules. But at the same time they also need to know and stick to the rules of the site. I think there is a middle ground that could be found but I think the rules need to be laid down a little bit more than they currently are.

    :yes:

    Spot on ^^.

    It would be great to give any newbies a warm welcome and help them to settle in and manage their expectations. You can all help to explain how things work around here in a friendly way :)

    We don't turn under 16s away as long as they can get on board with using our services productively and in a mature way. I'm pretty sure a lot of our regulars joined TheSite before they were 16 so should be able to understand what that can be like.

    We've also been signposting people to other sites such as Childline where appropriate.

    It's a real blow when sites people rely on close down :( Whilst we totally understand it can be a little frustrating when things are disrupted, it's important to be tolerant and to be as patient as you can.

    As longer-standing members we hope that you'll help out with this and we'll certainly make sure our volunteers are aware so that they can communicate the guidelines when needed :thumb:

    Thanks for bringing this up Annaarrr :yes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Childline also signpost people to the site, especially at the age of about 16ish.

    Mindfull and BB were a big part of my life for only a month or so but it has still been harder since they closed down due to financial difficulties.Some you g people also find it harder to use TS due to the high amount of older people(no offence!)

    I was a member of mindfull, BB and am a member of childline.All sites work differently yes however in the case of BB and mindfull closing, the houserules on here should perhaps be updated, even if just temporarily?

    Xx
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Noob Posts: 876
    All sites work differently yes however in the case of BB and mindfull closing, the houserules on here should perhaps be updated, even if just temporarily?

    Xx
    I disagree with this. There's nothing wrong with the houserules here. I fail to see how they could be changed to make users' experience any safer. I joined TheSite at 13 and I coped with the rules on here, they shouldn't be changed to cater for a younger audience when, in reality, there are no rules that people should struggle to deal with, even if they are under 16.

    I welcome anyone who needs support with open arms, I wasn't saying in the slightest that people should be turned away, just ensure that they know they are coming into a community that is quite strict in comparison to others they may have come from and just to be prepared for that.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it does need to be made clear that chat is not and will not be 1-2-1 support not can the site provide it. The emphasis has always been on peer to peer support and that does need to be made very clear. Tbh I haven't looked at the guidelines recently, but I'm pretty sure asides for a couple of outbursts I've stuck within the rules for the 12+ years I've been using the site under various different names.

    Is there anyway that people that want to sign up have to read through the t&c's in order to continue to become members?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I understand that and respect your views however the main 2 sites for young people to use now are cl and the site.This is not enough and some of those have relied on sites like mindfull and how that service works.We have to respect those young people who want to come here for support and the olderones of you all should and need to understand that.

    Miss Riot, i am sure that that is already possible?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We do understand and respect that they're coming here for support and we will do our best to give them support. I think the main thing that that people are touching on is the fact that the chatroom on here, and the chatroom on bb and mf are two very different things. Mf and bb chatrooms are basically just lighthearted chat and not focused around support, whereas this chatroom is and sometimes it does just get treated like a playground.

    We're not in anyway saying that they're not welcome to come here and get support
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I understand that and respect your views however the main 2 sites for young people to use now are cl and the site.This is not enough and some of those have relied on sites like mindfull and how that service works.We have to respect those young people who want to come here for support and the olderones of you all should and need to understand that.

    Miss Riot, i am sure that that is already possible?

    The fact is the young people should not be dependent on certain sites.

    The Site is here to support people, but it is a group support it isn't 1-2-1 so they can't expect the moderators to only talk to them for two hours of a chat.

    We all understand that they need support - but they also need to understand this is not Mindful and it isn't BeatBullying so they will not get the same as they would on those sites but similar.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, on mf and bb they dont use up that amount of time to talk to just one person(mostly)for a start!
    Also, I know that none of you are saying that, Hiccup. I just believe that they need more support forst of all in getting used to how this sote works, compared to others.Thats very true however my opinion still standa.I do respect what everyone is saying with this though and can see where you are all coming from x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, on mf and bb they dont use up that amount of time to talk to just one person(mostly)for a start!
    Also, I know that none of you are saying that, Hiccup. I just believe that they need more support forst of all in getting used to how this sote works, compared to others.Thats very true however my opinion still standa.I do respect what everyone is saying with this though and can see where you are all coming from x

    Everyone gets the same support. There's no favourites and there won't ever be favourites. In all honesty, they shouldn't be treated any different to any of us where when we joined. They're not "special" and they're not more of a priority.

    Everyone is treated the same. If they don't like how TS works, there's Childline and other support networks they can use.

    I also agree with hiccup. :yes:


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    TheSite gives you a huge amount of freedom, you get shown guidelines that you're asked to stick to and if you're going to be a member here then you should respect the guidelines, that goes for anyone, older users, myself, newer users. Apart from that you're free to do whatever, you have the option to private message other members if you want or need, just as long as you stick to the rules.

    I can't give opinions about difference of support sites as I've only ever used this one but TheSite is and will always be a very helpful and hugely supportive place and will no doubt always be a place where new users can gradually become settled and accustomed to the difference if they're coming from other sites - we've all just got to try and work together.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thats not true,All sites like this do have faves,Here, childline, mf, bb and so on.You can just tell!(But i will not get into that as i do t want to be banned again!!)...

    I am not having a go, just sharing, which is allowed.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am simply saying that we need to help those who have come from mf and bb get used to how this one works but be co siderate with them at the same time?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They're not a priority just because a site couldn't budget properly. At the end of the day, we treat everyone the same when they join. There's not favourites at all. You may see it as those that know each other better are closer then some. Doesn't mean there's favourites.

    Everyone that joins gets the same welcome.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Okay....
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Okay....

    I'm only stating my opinion.

    I accept you think we should give them more attention in a way, but if we do that with a minority, then everyone is going to feel out of place.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I k ow you are.Sorry if im coming across as rude, im not trying to be.

    Im saying more guidance
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Is there anyway that people that want to sign up have to read through the t&c's in order to continue to become members?

    I don't think there's a way of doing this. On a lot of websites, you have a box you can tick to say you'ev read the rules, etc. But websites have no way of knowing whether you've really read them or not.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I remember when I signed up it was a case of brief t&c's then go an read the stickies, no there's no way unless we pop quiz them all on it but a more formal than go and read the stickies
  • **helen****helen** Mod malarkist Posts: 9,236 Boards Champion
    I am simply saying that we need to help those who have come from mf and bb get used to how this one works but be co siderate with them at the same time?

    I think this is a fair point :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    **helen** wrote: »
    I think this is a fair point :)

    I think everyone has made a fair point to be fair.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mods will certainly do their best to help provide guidance. We had a few new people in last night in support chat and they had a really good welcome not just from mods but from regulars too. Team work for the win :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Mods will certainly do their best to help provide guidance. We had a few new people in last night in support chat and they had a really good welcome not just from mods but from regulars too. Team work for the win :)

    They always have done as well :)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think my main point is simply.

    I don't care your age, your background where you've come from, or whats sites you've come from, If you respect thesite rules, and don't try changing it to how the other sites work then that's fine, Thesite is pretty free on what you can and can't do and say on here, and thats what i like about it. People from websites such as Mindfull and Beatbullying though, there main thing they should know is to leave problems on that site..On that site, for example if...Mary and Jo didn't like Sam because of something sam said. Then they should leave it on there, not bring their hate onto thesite if all three of them come too, Its unfair on users who have been around for years to become entangled in something that they haven't been able to see/witness or actually have any idea on.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've just read through these recent posts and I can see where everyone is coming from. Yes it is such a shame about the closure of some support sites that a lot of people depended on and I can understand how it can be a big change coming on here with different rules and guidelines. However, I don't think it would be fair to change the guidelines on here. Every support site have different rules.

    I hope that all our new members feel safe here and feel able to open up about what is going on for them. If they feel that our guidelines don't keep them safe then, if they're young enough, then they could take a look at the childline website because their house rules are a lot stricter
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Lyrical Poster Posts: 5,036 The Mix Elder
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    I've just read through these recent posts and I can see where everyone is coming from. Yes it is such a shame about the closure of some support sites that a lot of people depended on and I can understand how it can be a big change coming on here with different rules and guidelines. However, I don't think it would be fair to change the guidelines on here. Every support site have different rules.

    I hope that all our new members feel safe here and feel able to open up about what is going on for them. If they feel that our guidelines don't keep them safe then, if they're young enough, then they could take a look at the childline website because their house rules are a lot stricter

    I agree with this.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
Sign In or Register to comment.