Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Twilight books and films are a load of shit.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    That's not unpopular. It would be if you said the opposite.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion really
  • Options
    Generally - I don't like children and have no desire to have any. I know I might change my mind later. But I hate how it's assumed as a woman you're expected to be maternal and if you're not there's something wrong with you. I think I'll be happier with a couple of dogs. And I hate those moments when everyones cooing over a new baby and I just don't see the appeal or find them that cute, but you sort of do it anyway so you don't look like a heartless cow.
  • Options
    A smug, bigoted liberal with a shit-eater's-grin is an order of magnitude more cunty than a reactionary and frothy-mouthed right-winger.
  • Options
    I was expecting this kind of response at some point so thanks for meeting my expectations. I'm not asking you to miraculously agree with me and change your parenting style.

The standard TheSite Member cop-out :D
    It was obviously too much to ask you to see my opinion as something which I feel very strongly about, am confident in and stand firm in.

I have not given you any reason to suspect I don't believe your view is something you are confident about and believe strongly in. Again, stop putting words in my mouth.
    Really interested as to why you are still ignoring that Arctic Roll shares the same stance that I do, despite having a child. But I guess it's just heavily pregnant women (yet without child) forming strong opinions on parental discipline that really get your goat.

Why would you assume I think that about you just because you're a woman. Because I'm male? Making a judgement on me based on my gender is, I believe called 'sexism' these days.

I don't smack my daughter each time she is naughty but in 10 years I have used it twice. I believe it has worked for the best. Do you think I'm wrong for that?
  • Options
    God damn, I've just reminded myself how I fucking hate Will Self.
  • Options
    God damn, I've just reminded myself how I fucking hate Will Self.

How come?
  • Options
    See two posts above my Will Self post.
  • Options
    As a child who was smacked by one parent and not the other, I can tell you it doesn't work at all. I love my father more than anything, I behave for him, I don't mess him around, I respect him. He never hit me.

My mum... well, I don't get on with her at all. She used to hit me, up until the day I turned round and hit her straight back. That was when I was about 10/11. She still got up in my face sometimes after that, but I learnt how to restrain her on the floor when I was 13 or so and from then on she never tried anything again. I resent my mum for hitting me as a child, it never taught me a lesson at all, all it did was make me more and more angry.
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    The standard TheSite Member cop-out :D
    ?? I was being realistic.
    I have not given you any reason to suspect I don't believe your view is something you are confident about and believe strongly in. Again, stop putting words in my mouth.
    No you just take a really indignated stance at my opinion because I am not a parent yet.
    Why would you assume I think that about you just because you're a woman. Because I'm male? Making a judgement on me based on my gender is, I believe called 'sexism' these days.
    Now who is making assumptions? I thought I'd point out that I'm a heavily pregnant woman to maybe direct you to the fact that I have considered and reached a decision on how I want to parent my child. Not for any other reason.
    I don't smack my daughter each time she is naughty but in 10 years I have used it twice. I believe it has worked for the best. Do you think I'm wrong for that?
    Yes I think you're wrong to smack your daughter. No I don't think this makes you a bad parent. Maybe now you can ease up?
  • Options
    I don't consider him to be a bigoted shit eating grinning liberal. I'd describe him as very cynical and miserable, but also intelligent. His world view is essentially the world is fucked and isn't going to change.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Generally - I don't like children and have no desire to have any. I know I might change my mind later. But I hate how it's assumed as a woman you're expected to be maternal and if you're not there's something wrong with you. I think I'll be happier with a couple of dogs. And I hate those moments when everyones cooing over a new baby and I just don't see the appeal or find them that cute, but you sort of do it anyway so you don't look like a heartless cow.

I always hated that assumption. It seemed to be that when there are babies around and you look like you've hit puberty that it's the done thing to thrust the baby into your arms. Despite politely rejecting the invitation. Then the entire room stares and silently judges your potential for future motherhood. And if the baby cried it was the most embarassing thing ever because people made jokes. Or was this just me?
  • Options
    I always hated that assumption. It seemed to be that when there are babies around and you look like you've hit puberty that it's the done thing to thrust the baby into your arms. Despite politely rejecting the invitation. Then the entire room stares and silently judges your potential for future motherhood. And if the baby cried it was the most embarassing thing ever because people made jokes. Or was this just me?
    Or sicked on you! It's just one of those awkward moments that every girl has to go through at some point. I personally dread them because I don't really want to hold someone's baby - mainly because I feel I don't have the right and I kind of hate the 'pass the parcel' kind of thing that goes on and don't really understand the whole thing of passing a baby round. But also because I just don't get anything out of it. But I don't want to be looked at like a bad person or offend the mother - because to them their baby is the most amazing thing in the world. I'd rather have the 'cool auntie' role - I think I'd have a lot to offer potential nieces and nephews and I think a lot of kids miss out on having a good relationship with an adult that isn't a parent. But I just don't really want to have any of my own.
  • Options
    ?? I was being realistic.

I guess we all have different ideas of reality then...
    No you just take a really indignated stance at my opinion because I am not a parent yet.

You don't know what my stance is, you're just making assumptions purely because you perceive it to be something you feel strongly about.

Now who is making assumptions? I thought I'd point out that I'm a heavily pregnant woman to maybe direct you to the fact that I have considered and reached a decision on how I want to parent my child. Not for any other reason.

Suggesting I have my view because you're a "heavily pregnant woman" sounds very much like throwing in the gender card. I'd have though saying you were "soon-to-be a parent" would have been more apt but whatever works for you.

Yes I think you're wrong to smack your daughter. No I don't think this makes you a bad parent. Maybe now you can ease up?

Yes we can change direction slightly as this is what I'm against. Up until this point you had not said you thought I was 'wrong'. I have no issue with you or anyone else saying that they disagree with smacking children. But I object to being told I am wrong by someone who has not had the experience I've had as a father. I appreciate you saying you do not believe it makes me a bad father, I didn't think you were suggesting it and even if somebody did, I know better. I may not be perfect but I am by no means 'bad'.

I have no doubt that you will know more about parenting than I very soon - I've always believed the maternal bond is somewhat stronger than the paternal. But I assure you that you have no idea of how your world (and possibly your views) will change once you have a child. I am not doubting the strength of conviction of your views now; however they will change (stronger/weaker/different etc) once you are a parent.
  • Options
    All 3 of my children have had the occasional smack. Its not big and its not clever, but im not going to start thinking im a failure as a parent over it.
    Its not the best way of disciplining, but sometimes they bloody need a short sharp shock to actually stop and listen to me and sometimes I just dont have the time, energy or capabilities to control them any other way, and theyre not abused, theyre loved, fed, great little kids, that can be difficult little sods at times. Some people might be calmer and better at some aspects of parenting than me. Im sure many would be a hell of a lot worse.
    Im not trying to be the best parent in the world, and in the last 12 years ive tried many different parenting approaches, and i just muddle along mainly.
    Sue me.
  • Options
    :confused:

It isn't an assumption for me to say that you are dismissing my opinion because I am not a parent. You've stated your objection to this a few times now. I think we can be clear on that.

Using the word 'woman' is not a sign of my throwing in the gender card. I am a woman. I think it's common knowledge on this forum that I am indeed in possession of a vagina. My point remains the same whether I had used the words 'expectant parent' or 'up the duff lady'. No where in this thread have I suggested that your opinion is unworthy because you're a father. It's ironic because it must be at least three times now that I've pointed you in the direction of Arctic Roll's post. As a father sorry **current parent** surely his opinion holds some weight with you?
    I'd like to suggest that no of course it doesn't. But it's easier for you to dismiss mine and get your hackles up because I'm not a parent.

And I'm well aware, especially at this stage, that my world will change. Thank you.
  • Options
    tbh though, if i was going to debate it, id rather debate on the side against smacking. because thats what I feel. IN THEORY.
    Real life is often a bit different to the ideals though. A pregnant woman with no other children isnt going to have the first clue about how I cope. Nor is a guy with one kid. With all due respect.
  • Options
    Point taken SCC. I think it's personal choice but I can't pretend it's something I approve of or wouldn't like to be seen made illegal.
  • Options
    And I'm well aware, especially at this stage, that my world will change. Thank you.

Good, glad to get you on-board.
  • Options
    Good, glad to get you on-board.
    The point is, I think, that you seem to assume that somebody is automatically wrong if they haven't been in the same situation you are (in this case being a parent). Or at least that they could never offer an applicable thought and can safely be dismissed.
  • Options
    The point is, I think, that you seem to assume that somebody is automatically wrong if they haven't been in the same situation you are (in this case being a parent).

I've not said or implied that though. I don't know any of you and I'm not the type to write somebody's view off as simply 'wrong' in a case like this.

I object to somebody telling me that something I do in my life is 'wrong' when they don't have the same or similar experience. That's different from saying their opinions are 'wrong'.
  • Options
    Using the same logic, am I to assume that you wouldn't say that someone who kills his neighbour for stealing an apple is wrong, since you've never had an apple stolen by a neighbour?
  • Options
    Using extreme logic, am I to assume that you wouldn't say that someone who kills his neighbour for stealing an apple is wrong, since you've never had an apple stolen by a neighbour?

Fixed that for you ;)

I'd say that was wrong not least because the law tells me so.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Using the same logic, am I to assume that you wouldn't say that someone who kills his neighbour for stealing an apple is wrong, since you've never had an apple stolen by a neighbour?

HEADSHOT.

My unpopular opinion which some of you know about is I don't think women need 'equality' in the church because it's already equal. It's fine how it is
  • Options
    not the same thing at all.

If someone is giving you advice about gardening. Youd hope they actually had some gardening experience first, rather than just read a book about plants.
    In the case of parenting, its a million times more emotive. You are judging the very core of a person when you judge their parenting skills.

Except for me, because im hard hearted and I KNOW im doing a decent job with what I have, and if youre not on my side or trying to help me, then im not especially interested in your opinions about how i'm doing, and for someone who doesnt have to deal with what I do on a day to day basis, to say if I smack my child, ive already failed. Well, Im not going to even start taking it on board. Ive heard a million parenting arguments, and the smacking debate rages on. Like the breastfeeding debate, like the co sleeping debate, like the santa claus debate, like the every other fucking debate.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave
  • Options
    Fixed that for you ;)

I'd say that was wrong not least because the law tells me so.
    The logic is exactly the same as yours applied to a different situation. The example may be extreme, the logic isn't.
    And why does the law know better than you?
  • Options
    Unpopular opinion - apparently

This thread isn't about the pro/con of smacking.
  • Options
    If someone is giving you advice about gardening. Youd hope they actually had some gardening experience first, rather than just read a book about plants.
    Of course, but you'd still be wrong to use "you're not a gardener" as the reason they're wrong, as it's not impossible for them to be right.
  • Options
    Unpopular opinion - apparently

This thread isn't about the pro/con of smacking.
    Just like it wasn't about the holocaust earlier!
    Discussions arise. The topic will change again.