Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I don't think we can deny this is a debate thread - albeit an inspired one, great to see so many diverse responses... But I am gonna move it. Sorry if that's an 'unpopular' move. ;)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Bring back national service for young people who repeatedly get into trouble.

Make them do all the boring bits in the armed forces, with no shooting and you're on.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Make them do all the boring bits in the armed forces, with no shooting and you're on.

That's what I was thinking.
  • Options
    Serious time :3
    Fat people should be taxed. As in if your BMI is higher than 24/25 then you should be taxed in accordance. If you don't want to be taxed in accordance then you have to opt out of all NHS services.

I think you should have to have "health" as in be healthy, to have the National Health Service.
    Why?
    Because people who drink alcohol and cause problems are taxed heavily.
    Because people who smoke get taxed heavily (almost double what the price of the tobacco is)
    And so on.
  • Options
    Men and women ARE different. There are things that (generally) one sex is better at doing than the other. Deal with it.

Men are (generally) more egotistical and often dangerous drivers. Women are (generally) worse at parking and manoeuvring in and out of spaces.
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »
    Serious time :3
    Fat people should be taxed. As in if your BMI is higher than 24/25 then you should be taxed in accordance. If you don't want to be taxed in accordance then you have to opt out of all NHS services.

I think you should have to have "health" as in be healthy, to have the National Health Service.
    Why?
    Because people who drink alcohol and cause problems are taxed heavily.
    Because people who smoke get taxed heavily (almost double what the price of the tobacco is)
    And so on.

People with a BMI of more than 25? Not withstanding that BMI is an outdated and unreliable method of assessing a person's health, I'm 6"2, muscular. I goto the gym every other day and do a fair bit of cardio and my job keeps me on my feet. Now the last time I looked my BMI was 27. Yeah, I could probably cut down on my beer (I don't have a 6pack) but I think I'm reasonably fit and healthy.

Whilst I don't disagree with you entirely, you need to find a better way to pick people.
  • Options
    24 is a healthy weight :|
  • Options
    I could possibly see grounds for doing that - however like others have said you need to have a better measure. Your current proposal doesn't really have much in common with the comparison you try to make with alcohol and tobacco. A similar basis would suggest taxing junk food - which isn't something I'd have much objection to.

From my recent experience, it rapidly becomes easier to have junk meals than it is to eat a healthy diet.
  • Options
    BMI is bollocks, as any rugby player will tell you. But there is already high taxation on food: 20% on foods that are not staples.

Also people who play a lot of sport are more likely to injure themselves than people who sit on their sofa eating Pringles. Broken legs cost money to fix.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Darts is a sport. :d
  • Options
    Smurf village, does exist, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    where are you going to get enough uranium from?

You don't need uranium. Thorium for example.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    People on benefits need support to get off them (even if that support costs money), or support to live on them. They are almost never scroungers.

Avatar is one of the worst films ever made, and the fact it was so expensive makes it somehow even worse relatively.
  • Options
    For all the people who jumped on my post about fat about BMI...
    I'm not health fanatic, i don't know the best way to measure peoples weight height whatever. But my point was, if you're fat you should be taxed in accordance was what i was trying to get at.
  • Options
    If you're fat you're more cuddly.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »

Avatar is one of the worst films ever made, and the fact it was so expensive makes it somehow even worse relatively.

I can't stand avatar, we had to do a essay about it..and I spent the full time complaining it was rubbish
  • Options
    Emmalee wrote: »
    I can't stand avatar, we had to do a essay about it..and I spent the full time complaining it was rubbish

It could of been sooooo much shorter.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Mental health should have more money spent on it by the NHS than Cancer care.

do you think you would say that if you were suffering from cancer?
  • Options
    Emmalee wrote: »

I thought it was stunning to watch on blu-ray, especially the bit in the forest and everything's lit up. The visuals blew me away. Everything else however....meh
  • Options
    i quite liked avatar
  • Options
    i quite liked avatar

I did too ha

Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
  • Options
    I really enjoyed watching it, but I saw the directors cut in 3D at an IMAX, and it was the first film I'd seen for around 3 years.

Story was so-so, but if I want a story I'll read a book....
  • Options
    do you think you would say that if you were suffering from cancer?

depends what you mean by cancer care or cancer research, although i think mental health causes a much bigger risk to us. As long as you eat right, don't smoke, don't drink in excess, get checked by your doctor regularly, you can avoid cancer for the best part (I know there is always exceptions, and it's not fool proof).
    But mental health, is something we all have, and something we all need to look after.
  • Options
    If you're fat you're more cuddly.

Not unpopular with me.

I am available for cuddles.
  • Options
    I have had serious reservations about democracy over the last two years. I'm not convinced it produces the best governance over an apartheid situation (assuming the government know what they're doing which is often far from reality). The temptation for vote winning bad policy and the influence of private interests to fund electoral campaigns mean democracy is as corrupt as many other systems. I like the idea of philosopher kings....
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Not unpopular with me.

I am available for cuddles.

:heart:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I have had serious reservations about democracy over the last two years. I'm not convinced it produces the best governance over an apartheid situation (assuming the government know what they're doing which is often far from reality). The temptation for vote winning bad policy and the influence of private interests to fund electoral campaigns mean democracy is as corrupt as many other systems. I like the idea of philosopher kings....
    Not so much the best but the least bad. A government of few people is probably either very good or very bad. One with more people is either kinda good or kinda bad (comparatively). You can't have a very good government, but you significantly lower the possibility of a very bad one.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Depression isnt caused by a chemical inbalance of seratonin. Depression is not a disease.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Depression isnt caused by a chemical inbalance of seratonin. Depression is not a disease.

That will be unpopular here, obviously I disagree, seeing as I have it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Im not sure why suffering from depression means you have to disagree.
    Its not that i dont believe depression is a serious mental illness, i do, i just dont believe that its a disease or that ssri's are the correct treatment.
    Weekender Offender