Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    savilles abuse wasnt kept under wraps. Most people knew. He just wasnt confronted about it by anyone that had any power.
    The abuse went unpunished not because he was skillful at keeping it under wraps.
    I remember my mum telling me not to watch jimllfixit as he was a child abuser and wasnt allowed to be with any of the children on his own, and that was at least 25 years ago.
  • Options
    savilles abuse wasnt kept under wraps. Most people knew. He just wasnt confronted about it by anyone that had any power.
    The abuse went unpunished not because he was skillful at keeping it under wraps.
    I remember my mum telling me not to watch jimllfixit as he was a child abuser and wasnt allowed to be with any of the children on his own, and that was at least 25 years ago.

They've pretty much come out and said that. It's shameful.
  • Options
    The thing with a good conspiracy theory, is that sometimes facts like to go out of the window to support it. Such as the BBC reporting the collapse of buildings before it happened, they didn't. However, when the conspiracy theorists say it enough times they begin to believe it. It's pretty easy to self sustain a conspiracy when little random details like that just get made up.
  • Options

the same can be said of 9/11, there's a clear parallel there. an open secret hidden in plain sight.

many people from the media, government and security services go public about 9/11 once they retire - one of the most recent is this man...
    The thing with a good conspiracy theory, is that sometimes facts like to go out of the window to support it. Such as the BBC reporting the collapse of buildings before it happened, they didn't. However, when the conspiracy theorists say it enough times they begin to believe it. It's pretty easy to self sustain a conspiracy when little random details like that just get made up.

oh really? even the BBC admit this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2008/07/controversy_conspiracies_iii.html

It is certainly true that on 9/11 the BBC broadcast that WTC7 had collapsed when it was still standing. Then the satellite transmission seemed to cut out mysteriously when the correspondent was still talking. Then Richard Porter admitted in his blog last year that the BBC had lost those key tapes of BBC World News output from the day.

So is that proof that we at the BBC are part of a huge sinister conspiracy or is there a simpler explanation?

that 'simpler explanation' is confusion caused by word on the ground that collapse was imminent. an innocent mistake? possibly it was...

yet that still doesn't explain how fires caused by debris resulted in near free-fall collapse, nor does it explain how this could be predicted in advance with such accuracy.

Larry Silverstein however very kindly explains both...

cries of "discredited!" by 9/11 'debunkers' shouldn't be accepted at face value, no matter how many times those unsupported claims of refutation are repeated...it works both ways :thumb:
  • Options
    Personally. I've always felt that calling things like 9/11 a conspiracy is a little bit disrespectful. And speaking as an engineer. I don't think it was. It was a real terrible thing that happened.
  • Options
    There's definitely unanswered questions about 9/11. 7/7 though I think is well understood. Also the Holocaust was initially subject to a lot of propaganda, the initial death counts were orders of magnitudes out of the accepted consensus we have today. There are still good questions that won't be answered, and can't be asked otherwise you will be discredited.

I think it's part of the world we live in though, some things are unquestionable. Whether you are called a Holocaust denier or a conspiracy theorist makes no difference.

I think the essential test of skepticism is whether there is confirmation bias evidenced.
  • Options
    Debunking 9/11 Myths: Why Conspiracy Theories Can't Stand Up to the Facts

A good rebuttal of a lot of the nonsense put out about 9/11.

Also, a debate between the Loose Change guys and Popular Mechanics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stVmEmJ666M

There's only one side that looks unhinged.
  • Options
    I watched a two hour documentary on how and why the towers collapsed, it's not impossible.

Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
  • Options
    cats are far more superior to dogs..
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Everybody should try ecstasy at least once.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

As in MDMA or pills? Pills are shite, but bombing proper MDMA is awesome.

Snow is not news.
  • Options

I actually do want to try it but have never known the right people. Only. Ever been offered hash (which I refused). Other friends used to take barbiturates but still in a different ballpark.

Maybe they should sell ecstasy instead of tobacco.
  • Options

I'd say the same about Ritalin. F'ing love the stuff :)
  • Options
    As in MDMA or pills? Pills are shite, but bombing proper MDMA is awesome.

Snow is not news.

You just haven't been around for real pills.
    Pure MDMA in small amounts should be used to cure Social Phobia and Anxiety problems, alongside depression.
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »

Pills in my area are shockingly bad, I'm sure some somewhere are alright... but after my experiences I wouldn't take the risk!
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »
    Pure MDMA in small amounts should be used to cure Social Phobia and Anxiety problems, alongside depression.

Marriage and relationship counselling too.
  • Options
    Snow is not news.

I spent ages ranting about this yesterday. Even if it is news it is not enough news to have an hour of news, then half an hour later 'BBC News, Snow Hits Britain' or whatever it was called.
  • Options
    Adults saying to children "Everyone gets bullied" is just a way to try and make the child feel less ashamed and its not true not everybody gets bullied!
  • Options
    The great British public are wrong to hero worship the armed forces like they do.
  • Options
    Neddy wrote: »
    The great British public are wrong to hero worship the armed forces like they do.

I actually agree with that to an extent, specifically as in some occasions it's people trying to "out hero worship" everyone else as if its a competition.
  • Options
    547013_10151282609467150_1573596978_n.jpg
  • Options

id agree with that if it didnt cause me (therefore probably many people, as im not sure im uniquely made) week long comedowns, if not longer, and trigger major depressive episodes.

Although when youre up. Great stuff. really lovely, but REALLY not worth the hideous hideous lengthy comedown
  • Options
    id agree with that if it didnt cause me (therefore probably many people, as im not sure im uniquely made) week long comedowns, if not longer, and trigger major depressive episodes.

Although when youre up. Great stuff. really lovely, but REALLY not worth the hideous hideous lengthy comedown

I think MDMA is one of the only things I don't get an awful comedown from. I might feel abit rough from lack of sleep, but nothing really bad.
  • Options
    I think the basic point is the troops shouldn't take the blame for waging the war, however insane it is...hero worshipping contests take that to a ridiculous extreme.
  • Options
    I think MDMA is one of the only things I don't get an awful comedown from. I might feel abit rough from lack of sleep, but nothing really bad.

occasional use can keep comedowns managable. every week over time can seriously fuck your mood up, and there's no telling if months or years without will allow a full recovery. ultimately, your brain chemistry and synapse structure is the determining factor...
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    occasional use can keep comedowns managable. every week over time can seriously fuck your mood up, and there's no telling if months or years without will allow a full recovery. ultimately, your brain chemistry and synapse structure is the determining factor...

I rarely do MD as it is rather pricey! I know every one is different with comedowns, but I've always thought MD was one that came with a gentler comedown compared to meow, or coke for example.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    No one should refuse to think about anything. No idea should be dismissed without having a logical argument as to why, however ridiculous it sounds.
  • Options
    That when a tradegy occurs, the news does not say, 39 people were killed, including 2 brits (as if the 2 brits make it worse?)

Furthermore I do not see the need for the news, what what happen without it, if I didn't hear about a murder, rip off, scandal, pedo ring etc I'm sure my day would run fine... I think I would drop the news into room 101...
  • Options
    Neddy wrote: »

I think it's an effort to copy the yanks in that extremely annoying way that the media always seem to do.

In Yankland being in their armed forces is seen as much more courageous and admirable than here simply because we don't have such an over-inflated jingoistic attitude towards our country's flag as they do.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »

I have only ever used it occasionally, but theres only been a couple of times that i havent had a bad comedown from it, and thats when i have only taken enough to not really get properly high (and consequently spent most of the evening hanging out for more)
    Most times I spend about 3 days crying and feeling like ive been poisoned, and then gradually over the course of a week i feel more human.
    If it was 1 day or even two of feeling a bit rough or tired, I could handle it, but its not. Ive pretty much just knocked it on the head, as no matter how great i feel at the time, its just not worth it.
    I dont get a comedown like that from anything else ive tried