Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I disagree. I think a good 50% of women would look incredible with a pixie cut but are too afraid to give it a go.

delicate features can look amazing with short hair. Just personal preference innit. I thought I looked pretty good with my pixie cut. Couldnt be arsed to keep up with the maintenance of it though
    delicate features can look amazing with short hair. Just personal preference innit. I thought I looked pretty good with my pixie cut. Couldnt be arsed to keep up with the maintenance of it though

Truth. My hair grows so fast that I was having to get a cut every 4 weeks to keep it neat. But unless I have a fringe, I can just let my hair grow when it's longer. Before my fringe was cut in this time I went a year without a proper cut (had a trim to fix mismatched length but otherwise nada).
    my hair grows fast too. And if i didnt get it cut again every 3 or 4 weeks, i started to look like Myra Hindley.
    Problem with me with long hair though is when my hair gets to a certain length, it starts looking lank and a bit crap.
    Long thick luxurious hair looks wonderful, but mine just looks a bit ratty. Shorter hair gives it body.

I may just take up wearing hats
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVRzo4pWa76ed1ynAkSaezu0I7xuxKlodi5_4pix9giiDIJiWL

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwYzeWCdeCAx5kuBl_0FVrJgSubSW6sFEt_kux6KK1c_G9V1TnWQ

i really like anne with short hair. her long hair was lovely too though. but the short is a lot more striking.
    my hair grows fast too. And if i didnt get it cut again every 3 or 4 weeks, i started to look like Myra Hindley.
    Problem with me with long hair though is when my hair gets to a certain length, it starts looking lank and a bit crap.
    Long thick luxurious hair looks wonderful, but mine just looks a bit ratty. Shorter hair gives it body.

I may just take up wearing hats

You can have some of my hair. It's like a mane if I don't get it thinned out.
    I think smacking children as a form of discipline is wrong and equal to assault. BUT I dont think parents that do it are all violent monsters.
    I think smacking children as a form of discipline is wrong and equal to assault. BUT I dont think parents that do it are all violent monsters.
    I think you're terribly wrong, parents should be allowed to discipline their children using a nice firm smack once in a while. Certainly put me in my place as a kid. I wouldn't do whatever i did to get in trouble again.

I think capital punishment should be brought back.
    Shikari wrote: »
    I think you're terribly wrong, parents should be allowed to discipline their children using a nice firm smack once in a while. Certainly put me in my place as a kid. I wouldn't do whatever i did to get in trouble again.

I think capital punishment should be brought back.

the argument 'it never did me any harm' which i can see you're leaning towards holds no gravitas because i could equally say the same thing. not being smacked never did me any harm because i was made aware of boundaries in other ways.
    the argument 'it never did me any harm' which i can see you're leaning towards holds no gravitas because i could equally say the same thing. not being smacked never did me any harm because i was made aware of boundaries in other ways.

Sort of, I don't stand completely in the "I did me no harm", but it works for some and doesn't work for others. Some kids are well behaved some are not. Some listen when you say no, some need a much more firmer approach. As long as it isn't over abused, or too firm. Then i think it's fine. I think that's what wrong with my generation, no firm discepline.

I thought about this the other day, when i got arrested by the police, i was in the car going to the station thinking "Fuck it what's the worst that could happen, i'll get put in a warm cell, given a blanket, regular food. It's not like i'm going to be beaten or starved - easy life".
    If you smack a kid you've lost the argument.

I think parents who have to resort to smacking kids have failed.
    And it just doesn't make sense because it sends conflicting messages. You tell your child not to hit/hurt other people yet it's okay for you to do it.

It seems to be more of a release for the parent than anything. And that isn't great.
    Here's an unpopular opinion. Sometimes I think the world would be better of if I had the personal right to have people executed.
    Those without children always seem to know the most about 'good parenting'.
    Those with children seem to assume that those without children don't have the ability to form a sound opinion on bringing up children.
    Those with children seem to assume that those without children don't have the ability to form a sound opinion on bringing up children.

I like it.

Another one:
    Parenting should be touched apon in schools - chances are most of us will have kids.
    "As a mother" which is frankly a shaky arguement. Pushing a child out your chuff doesn't magically endow you with special wisdom and knowledge that those of us with intact chuffs cannot attain.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    "As a mother" which is frankly a shaky arguement. Pushing a child out your chuff doesn't magically endow you with special wisdom and knowledge that those of us with intact chuffs cannot attain.

What about 'as a father'?
    CM Punk wrote: »
    What about 'as a father'?

The same but without the chuff element.
    Those without children always seem to know the most about 'good parenting'.

Those who disagree about smacking assume that anyone who thinks its bad is not a parent.

I have a three year old girl. She's naughty and cheeky and clever. Never once have I had to lay a finger on her, because I can set boundaries without the use of my hand.

Spanking is for those who want to be spanked.
    The same but without the chuff element.

Thing is though there are no qualifications to be a parent (which I agree is a shame for many) so we can best rely on experience however as a father I find it hard to accept the opinion of someone who has none especially when they try to tell me my ways of bringing up my child are 'wrong'.
    Those who disagree about smacking assume that anyone who thinks its bad is not a parent.

Nothing like a good generalisation to back up your opinion eh? ;)
    Speaking as an aunt. None of my 8 neices and nephews need physical chastisment. Ever.
    Thing is though there are no qualifications to be a parent (which I agree is a shame for many) so we can best rely on experience however as a father I find it hard to accept the opinion of someone who has none especially when they try to tell me my ways of bringing up my child are 'wrong'.

I'm sorry you take offence to my opinion but it's just that- my opinion. I take offence to you insinuating I'm not allowed to have an opinion because I'm not a mother. (Yet. I am in fact due at the end of this month ;) )

I'll assume you'll take AR's shared opinion into account because he's a dad?
    I'm sorry you take offence to my opinion but it's just that- my opinion. I take offence to you insinuating I'm not allowed to have an opinion because I'm not a mother. (Yet. I am in fact due at the end of this month ;) )

I'll assume you'll take AR's shared opinion into account because he's a dad?

a) - I've not said I take offence - and I don't

and

b) - I've not said (nor would I ever suggest) you do not have the right to an opinion on anything.

However putting words in someone's mouth can be just as fun as generalising ;)
    So I suppose being unable to 'accept' my opinion because I'm not a parent is in no way suggesting that my opinion counts for nothing because I have yet to give birth. How embarassing. And a ;) right back atcha.
    Such a hard balance in this thread to post an opinion that's unpopular without starting a flame war.
    Surely 8 kids counts for something? Half an opinion?
    Minus the ominous winking, I think it's more of a discussion.
    So I suppose being unable to 'accept' my opinion because I'm not a parent is in no way suggesting that my opinion counts for nothing because I have yet to give birth. How embarassing. And a ;) right back atcha.

D'oh! More assuming ;)

I accept anybody's opinion about anything. However I won't be told my way of doing things - which stems from experience - is 'wrong' by somebody who has no experience.

If there was some sort of widely-accepted form of qualification on parenting (I agree this is needed) and you had said qualification yet no children and then told me my way of doing things was wrong then I'd happily take it all on board.

Parenting is one of those things that you really cannot get right unless you've been there yourself. No I am NOT saying just because somebody has kids they are always right. Far from it.
    I was expecting this kind of response at some point so thanks for meeting my expectations. I'm not asking you to miraculously agree with me and change your parenting style. It was obviously too much to ask you to see my opinion as something which I feel very strongly about, am confident in and stand firm in.

Really interested as to why you are still ignoring that Arctic Roll shares the same stance that I do, despite having a child. But I guess it's just heavily pregnant women (yet without child) forming strong opinions on parental discipline that really get your goat.