Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shikari wrote: »
    depends what you mean by cancer care or cancer research, although i think mental health causes a much bigger risk to us. As long as you eat right, don't smoke, don't drink in excess, get checked by your doctor regularly, you can avoid cancer for the best part (I know there is always exceptions, and it's not fool proof).
    But mental health, is something we all have, and something we all need to look after.

she said cancer care, and you talk some right rubbish sometimes! perfectly healthy people get cancer all the time. you can't just 'avoid it' or everybody would.
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Darts is a sport. :d

Golf is not a sport.
  • Options
    I think it's right we spend more on cancer care than mental health.

I think if you're talking about marginal pounds though, then mh care is going to be seeing the most gain over cancer care now.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Accipiter wrote: »
    I have depression and I refuse to take medication because I believe there are better methods of recovery. In my opinion, therapy is better as it can help people develop methods of effectively coping with life and improving their mood. I think this is more effective in the long term. However, I fully appreciate that medication is beneficial to many people, and it may be an appropriate long term solution for them.

I think there are better words to describe depression than 'disease' as the connotations of this can give a false impression of what depression is.

Ssris are over prescribed, unproven, addctive, and dangerous.
    I also think theyve become fashionable amongst some.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Would you count it as a skill? I think golf and darts are skills rather than sports.

I'd class it as a good walk spoiled, as Mark Twain once said.
  • Options
    I like golf, but like darts, its more of game than a sport.

Also union>league
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

Also union>league

Clearly
  • Options
    Clearly wrong.

Union is 28 fat men sitting on each other whilst 2 skinny guys endlessly kick the ball down the field.
  • Options
    I like drinking in Starbucks
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I like drinking in Starbucks
    Clearly wrong.

Union is 28 fat men sitting on each other whilst 2 skinny guys endlessly kick the ball down the field.

These^
  • Options

Clearly your definition of fat is a bit wayward.

RL: A form of "rugby" invented by stupid northerners because they were too stupid to be able to understand the offside rules. Because of this there are no rucks, if you tackle someone you have to bugger off and let them have the ball back again.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think cowboy boots are ugly
  • Options
    Yes, I know someone who boasts of her mental illness and publicly announces what medication she has to take to "stop me killing myself." It is most odd.

I have known people to boast about taking ssri's, and have known people to go and hound their GP for anti depressants, without any diagnosis of depression.
    They're not depressed but still, there's clearly something not right with that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I think cowboy boots are ugly

Not on cowboys surely?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Not on cowboys surely?

They're still ugly boots, no matter who's wearing them
  • Options
    Cowboys are allowed to wear them though - everyone else should be shot. And soon, before they sort out US gun laws.
  • Options
    Horses make great burgers
  • Options
    I just made a nice beef sandwich for tea with some irish brisket beef. Tasted nice :)
  • Options
    Cowboys are allowed to wear them though - everyone else should be shot. And soon, before they sort out US gun laws.

You're joking, they'll never change gun laws, without a revolution to hand.
  • Options
    Horses make great burgers

In response to the contaminated burger story? :P
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    In response to the contaminated burger story? :P

I read that on the BBC news website earlier... bit grim!

My unpopular opinion is that I don't have an objection to teenage girls having babies. As long as they can care for them and do the best they can, I don't see why age matters.
  • Options
    Seeing matadors getting impaled by their bulls makes me smile. Also the whole shock of someone getting seriously injured/killed by a wild animal when they go camping or whatever in an area where that animal is annoys me. You intrude on their territory then it's hardly surprising. No less tragic, but it makes me sad when a wild animal gets killed doing what it does naturally - which is to defend its territory and itself. I'm going to get flamed now.
  • Options
    Italy is a leech of a country. I cannot fathom why people like it so much.
  • Options
    i think it looks really horrible when girls shave the side of their hair off.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    omg hi wrote: »
    Related:
    There are very, very few women who look good with short hair. And among the ones who do, there are very, very few who wouldn't look better with longer.
  • Options
    Depression isnt caused by a chemical inbalance of seratonin. Depression is not a disease.

i do agree with this to an extent. i think that seratonin and other neurotransmitters are likely to be related to depression, but we can't say for sure which way round it is - it could be that depressed mood lowers seratonin, rather than the low seratonin causing the depressed mood. i think that medication to improve the seratonin balance can be useful in severe cases of persistent depression (such as my own) but as people have said, it's not always such a simple solution. for example, depression in response to a life event or traumatic experience - it's surely more likely that the symptoms are a cognitive and emotional response rather than a physiological dysfunction.
  • Options
    Depression isnt caused by a chemical inbalance of seratonin. Depression is not a disease.

what are your opinions of what depression is, and is caused by then?
  • Options
    not saying i disagree, but i wouldnt have made the sweeping statement
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »

You'd hate my hair then! :P
  • Options
    Related:
    There are very, very few women who look good with short hair. And among the ones who do, there are very, very few who wouldn't look better with longer.

I disagree. I think a good 50% of women would look incredible with a pixie cut but are too afraid to give it a go.