Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    With regard to praying, I think George Carlin's said it best.
    I've often thought people treat God rather rudely, don't you? Asking trillions and trillions of prayers every day. Asking and pleading and begging for favors. Do this, gimme that, I need a new car, I want a better job. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday His day off. It's not nice. And it's no way to treat a friend.

And I say, fine. Pray for anything you want. Pray for anything, but what about the Divine Plan?

Remember that? The Divine Plan. Long time ago, God made a Divine Plan. Gave it a lot of thought, decided it was a good plan, put it into practice. And for billions and billions of years, the Divine Plan has been doing just fine. Now, you come along, and pray for something. Well suppose the thing you want isn't in God's Divine Plan? What do you want Him to do? Change His plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a Divine Plan. What's the use of being God if every run-down shmuck with a two-dollar prayerbook can come along and fuck up Your Plan?

And here's something else, another problem you might have: Suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? "Well, it's God's will." "Thy Will Be Done." Fine, but if it's God's will, and He's going to do what He wants to anyway, why the fuck bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me! Couldn't you just skip the praying part and go right to His Will? It's all very confusing.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    People who use the term chav in a derogatory way are snobs.

Even towards actual chavs?
  • Options
    Chav is lazy word for lazy people.
    Useful for those who like to ridicule and sneer at Britain's underclass. Useful for snobs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    Even towards actual chavs?

What to you mean by "actual chav"?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    What to you mean by "actual chav"?

Someone who really is a chav?
  • Options
    Someone who really is a chav?

Right, what's a chav then?
  • Options
    Chav is lazy word for lazy people.
    Useful for those who like to ridicule and sneer at Britain's underclass. Useful for snobs.

I think Russell Howard summed it up well once 'I hate the word ''chav'', it's just a lazy word for saying ''don't poor people dress funny?''' *said in a mock toff accent*
  • Options
    Right, what's a chav then?

You're telling me you don't know what a chav is?
  • Options
    youre not supposed to let on that you know theyre a chav. It is the elephant in the room.

DONT MENTION THE CHAV.

its a style of dress and social group. Like emo, yardie, goth, ned, hippy

all can be used in a derogatory way, and of course youre lumping people together which is never entirely accurate, but everyone knows what it means.

If Russell Howard doesnt like it, then even better as i cant stand that cunt
  • Options
    http://m.stylist.co.uk/people/tanya-gold/why-the-chav-label-is-still-repellent

Good article on wht chav bashing is for stoopids.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

I would also offer: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chavs-Demonization-Working-Owen-Jones/dp/1844678644

Though I'm a fan of Owen Jones and he's one of these supposed leftist shit-eating cunts who is too happy to go on about his moral superiority by doing things like joining the TUC march. Fuck him, right?
  • Options
    You're telling me you don't know what a chav is?

I want to know what you think a chav is.
  • Options
    I want to know what you think a chav is.

Whilst noting you've dodged the question, why?
  • Options
    Whilst noting you've dodged the question, why?

Look, if anyone is dodging questions, its you. If you don't want to engage, don't. You've been called out. You've said "actual chavs", "people who are chavs" and then asked me if I knew what a chav was.

Define "Chav" in your world, because frankly, you're starting to look like a bigot again.
  • Options
    Look, if anyone is dodging questions, its you. If you don't want to engage, don't. You've been called out. You've said "actual chavs", "people who are chavs" and then asked me if I knew what a chav was.

No what's happened is you're trying to shoehorn me in to being something I'm not and when it's not working you're putting words in my mouth - I haven't asked you if you know what a chav is.
    Define "Chav" in your world, because frankly, you're starting to look like a bigot again.

'Again'? I didn't know I ever was one. Still, let's go along with the shoehorning. Do a google search for 'chav'. Pick any one of the sites that comes up. It's a stereotype.
  • Options
    Im sure Fiend knows how to use google.

I think she wanted to know what you took a chav to be. Generally when entering a duscussion its polite to state your own opinion.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's a stereotype.

I think that's the problem, going back to the original point. It is a lazy stereotype of people who - generally - have a low income by people who - generally - have a higher one. It's just the 21st century parlance for 'Common'. I don't like it either.
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote:
    No what's happened is you're trying to shoehorn me in to being something I'm not and when it's not working you're putting words in my mouth - I haven't asked you if you know what a chav is.

'Again'? I didn't know I ever was one. Still, let's go along with the shoehorning. Do a google search for 'chav'. Pick any one of the sites that comes up. It's a stereotype.

Right, so if it's a "stereotype" how can you call someone who is an "actual chav" (your words) a chav. Your original comment was "Even towards actual chavs?". Were you just trolling then? Are you just a troll? Because you're starting to sound like one.

I don't like to interact with trolls, I don't like bigots either. The way you post, right now, you're one, or the other.
  • Options
    Im sure Fiend knows how to use google.

I think she wanted to know what you took a chav to be. Generally when entering a duscussion its polite to state your own opinion.

As with a lot of discussions on here I don't have an opinion - yet. This is why I ask questions. Some I don't get an answer to.
  • Options
    Right, so if it's a "stereotype" how can you call someone who is an "actual chav" (your words) a chav. Your original comment was "Even towards actual chavs?". Were you just trolling then? Are you just a troll? Because you're starting to sound like one.

I don't like to interact with trolls, I don't like bigots either. The way you post, right now, you're one, or the other.

Lol so stereotyping is ok for you but not for me....cute.
  • Options
    Lol so stereotyping is ok for you but not for me....cute.

I'm not sure it's possible to stereotype an individual. I'm basing my opinion of you on what you post. I've made no assumptions, what you've posted has lead to conclusions.

Now, are you going to answer the question? What do you define as a chav?
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    You mean the old times where new users were called noobs and mistakes were flamed and fools were bullied off the boards? Yeah, I miss that too.
    As far as I can see that's whats happening now. People were so much more tolerant a couple of years ago.

On the chav thing, it's nothing to do with class in my eyes. It's those dickheads who walk around in those stupid hats trying to act all hard and be intimidating. Don't have to be lower class to act like a tosser.
  • Options
    If you look at sites such as chav scum the abuse is mainly focused on the poor, single mothers, the uneducated, the unemployed, those on benifits.

Chav is a sneer at the dirty poor, a laugh at those revolting commoners.Maybe if we marginalse them and ridicule them enough they'll buck there ideas up and become middle class. As if it works like that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm not sure it's possible to stereotype an individual. I'm basing my opinion of you on what you post.

Yes, stereotyping me as a 'troll'.
    I've made no assumptions,

No, just an accusation of being a 'bigot'.
    what you've posted has lead to conclusions.

No, what you've misunderstood has led you to those conclusions.

Now, are you going to answer the question? What do you define as a chav?

Are you deliberately being difficult?

A 'chav' is a stereotype. This means some people will fall in to its definition. There may be different definitions according to whatever idea fits your own. Either make up your own mind or do a Google search, I did suggest it.

Whichever version floats your boat, my question remains - what about people that fall in to that stereotype?
  • Options
    I think we were all aware its a streotype. We want to know what you take that stereotype to mean. What qualities does sonebody need to have to be an actual chav?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think we were all aware its a streotype. We want to know what you take that stereotype to mean. What qualities does sonebody need to have to be an actual chav?

I don't carry detailed notes around with me as I don't spend much time worrying about it - generally if someone is wearing the 'uniform' of excessive sports clothing, pitbull on a lead, fist full of sovereigns, and trademark 'roodboi' or 'Jafaken' accent I'll consider them a chav. Just as I would consider someone a 'plastic gangsta' if they generally follow the stereotype, ditto 'dirty old man weirdo', 'mutton dressed as lamb' etc.

Whether we like it or not some people fall in to certain stereotypes. Sometimes by choice. The question I tried to ask before the local "Nail the bigot" gang turned up is it so wrong to refer to a person as a 'chav' if they choose the stereotypical chav lifestyle/appearance?
  • Options
    Yes, it is, and that you do, makes you a bigot.
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    If you look at sites such as chav scum the abuse is mainly focused on the poor, single mothers, the uneducated, the unemployed, those on benifits.

Chav is a sneer at the dirty poor, a laugh at those revolting commoners.Maybe if we marginalse them and ridicule them enough they'll buck there ideas up and become middle class. As if it works like that.

I dont think its any of those things individually. I think its more when all of those traits are combined in one person, and it is just as often said about rich people. It IS class snobbery, but it works both ways
  • Options
    I know it's about the riots, but Owen Jones makes some very good points about scapegoating the poor, and the ways in which "chav" is simply a deeply unhelpful label.
    Amid the chaos, commentators looked at Chavs in a new light. Partly, I suppose, because the word "chav" was being bandied around to describe the rioters, particularly on Twitter and Facebook. Fran Healey, lead singer of the band Travis, described the unrest as the "Chav Spring" in a tweet, referencing the Arab Spring. Fitness chain GymBox ? which appears in Chavs as the promoter of a "Chav Fighting" class ? announced that it would be shutting early due to the "chav infestation". I was one of the few commentators during that turbulent week asked to challenge the dominant narrative that this was mindless criminality, end of story.

"Children without fathers" was one of the factors identified by David Cameron; it was a point echoed by right-wing commentators. It smacked of the arguments of US right-wing pseudo-sociologist Charles Murray, who claimed that rising illegitimacy among the "lower classes" had produced a "New Rabble". This was classic demonization, reducing complex social problems to supposed individual failings and behavioural faults.