Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if someone said they were praying for me I'd be really touched, even though I don't pray myself. I certainly wouldn't be offended.
  • Options
    I don't see why some people get so worked up about it. It's not really any different to someone saying "I'll keep you/your situation in my thoughts".
  • Options
    I can certainly understand why it'd annoy people praying for them, it's quite intrusive, and many may believe it to be "pushing their view of religion" onto you.
    Yes there is no harm in saying a prayer for someone, but if let's say my mum was in hospital, and a vicor was like, let's all make a prayer, i'd probably be like "rather not, could you get a doctor instead?"

And I believe in religion, well Christianity to a certain degree. I like it because the main ideal is to be a good person, but some people take it a bit too far, and I don't believe in gods. Surely if god was real, then science would confirm and back up 'Gods' teachings in the bible and other religious facts.
  • Options
    Surely "Let's pray together" is more like "pushing their view of religion" on someone? A person saying they'll pray for somebody is keeping it to themselves.
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    Absolutely. This recent rise of 'New atheism" (inspired by the likes of Richard Dawkins and Brian Cox that involves smarmy and thinly-veiled-as-intellectualism digs at religion and its followers, as well as the blatant and ignorant piss-take attitude of Ricky Gervais and others) is just as bad as the fundamentalist religious types they claim to hate so much.

Yeah, being scientifically minded and, at worst, scathing of religious belief is exactly the same as throwing acid in the face of young girls for the crime of learning to read, exploding yourself on a bus next to innocents or mutilating the genitals of children. Strident atheism is just as bad as fundamentalist religion - everything is created equal, after all.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah, being scientifically minded and, at worst, scathing of religious belief is exactly the same as throwing acid in the face of young girls for the crime of learning to read, exploding yourself on a bus next to innocents or mutilating the genitals of children. Strident atheism is just as bad as fundamentalist religion - everything is created equal, after all.
    Not as bad as that but it is as bad as people insisting on making you religious when you just want them to leave you alone.
  • Options
    Lipstick/gloss paler than foundation never looks good
  • Options
    TBH foundation rarely looks good.
  • Options
    Foundation rarely looks good because most people use shades that are too dark or just slap loads on
  • Options
    No one looks better with unnatural colours on their faces.
  • Options
    No one looks better with unnatural colours on their faces.

Foundation applied correctly should mask flaws and even out skintone. You shouldn't even be able to tell it's there without looking really hard.

Also foundation is always natural colours. Else it'd be labelled face paint.
  • Options
    Also foundation is always natural colours. Else it'd be labelled face paint.
    This means I wasn't speaking about foundation. Unless the blue/black/whatever stuff are also called that.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    People are so fucking unnecessarily aggressive on this site. I miss the old times.
  • Options

Awww how quaint :)
  • Options
    This means I wasn't speaking about foundation. Unless the blue/black/whatever stuff are also called that.

Apologies. I thought you were.

You're still talking crap though. I look like death without makeup on, and if you know how to use them, the bright colours can do amazing things.
  • Options
    Apologies. I thought you were.

You're still talking crap though. I look like death without makeup on, and if you know how to use them, the bright colours can do amazing things.
    That's opinion, not fact.
  • Options
    That's opinion, not fact.

Well yes. This is the opinion thread.
    I maintain that anyone who says girls look better without makeup actually means they look better in makeup they can't tell is there.

And makeup done well is an art. Totally beautiful.
  • Options
    *bloke perspective*

Some women can get away with wearing little or no make-up and look good however generally speaking I find women look better with it on but in moderation - I can't stand the 'Essex' look of it all caked on.

I can't stand this mentality some women have when their insecurities make them look at a glamorous woman and say "yeah but I bet she's ugly without all that make-up". Sorry to burst your bubble ladies but I've not yet seen a woman that looks good in make-up but is physically ugly without it. That picture of Katy Perry a few years back that RB took of her in bed? Granted she did not look glamorous but it was still Katy Perry and she still looked good.
  • Options
    Well yes. This is the opinion thread.
    tbh "talking crap" was kinda too offensive for that.
    I maintain that anyone who says girls look better without makeup actually means they look better in makeup they can't tell is there.
    How is that different from what I said?
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    People are so fucking unnecessarily aggressive on this site. I miss the old times.
    You mean the old times where new users were called noobs and mistakes were flamed and fools were bullied off the boards? Yeah, I miss that too.
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »
    Yes there is no harm in saying a prayer for someone, but if let's say my mum was in hospital, and a vicor was like, let's all make a prayer, i'd probably be like "rather not, could you get a doctor instead?"

Why can't people have both? What's wrong with saying, let's pray for your mum / the doctor / whatever? I mean, a vicar's job is to offer prayer, but no priest/pastor/vicar I know believes they're a doctor (except a couple who actually are and then retrained, but, yanno...)
  • Options
    i dont want people to pray for me. If you want to help me, help me. Dont ask the fairies to do it.

And im all for militant atheism. Weve been so overrun FOREVER with religious dogma and wishy washy beliefs. Im really pleased people are seeing it for what it is.
  • Options
    That reminds me a little of this:

atheist-cartoon-1-550x708.jpg

Unsubtle but poignant.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Why can't people have both? What's wrong with saying, let's pray for your mum / the doctor / whatever? I mean, a vicar's job is to offer prayer, but no priest/pastor/vicar I know believes they're a doctor (except a couple who actually are and then retrained, but, yanno...)

Because praying does nothing, where as doctors do.
    Praying would also be a distraction from what's really going on.
    Also if you pray and nothing happens, then you know either god doesn't exist, or he didn't want to help your loved ones. Why would you blindly follow someone and devote your life to them if the won't help your family?
  • Options
    Picc actually has some very interesting theology and psychology on this... she's v knowledgable on the subject.

There's no harm in doing both, but as Kaff said, if praying is all you've got, I'm not interested.

Its a strange quandry for me, a committed atheist, being with picc who's not just a christian, but a chaplain and student minister...
  • Options
    And im all for militant atheism. Weve been so overrun FOREVER with religious dogma and wishy washy beliefs. Im really pleased people are seeing it for what it is.

What's wrong with being the better person? Why drag yourself down to their level? It just makes those engaging in 'militant atheist' discussion and activity seem petty and childish when they could be doing things better and more effectively.
  • Options
    i dont want people to pray for me. If you want to help me, help me. Dont ask the fairies to do it.

:lol: I agree with this in the same way that I agree that prayer doesn't remove the need to treat ailments, or whatever.

The thing is - and I digress slightly, so perhaps this needs its own thread - that the Christian idea of care or charity (caritas being Latin for love) deal a lot with practical action. For example, the Good Samaritan (Luke 10) is not defined by praying for the wounded man but by carrying him to a sanctuary and paying for his care. Would the story be offensive if it said he also prayed for the man's recovery? I don't think so.

The same can be said of most major world religions, you show love by doing, and praying is part of that because it keeps the people who need your help in mind.
  • Options
    I read about a study a while back that showed the recovery rates of patients who knew they were being prayed for was slower than that of those who knew they weren't being prayed for or those who weren't aware whether they were or not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html

So if you know someone in hospital probably best not let on that you're praying for them. :D
  • Options
    So if you know someone in hospital probably best not let on that you're praying for them. :D

Duly noted!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    People who use the term chav in a derogatory way are snobs.
    Weekender Offender