Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is no reason for any vegetarian or vegan to require that their food is prepared using separate equipment from that which is used to prepare meat. We got a call from Pizza Hut the other day asking whether we wanted our vegetarian pizzas to be cut with a separate knife than the meat pizzas. Seriously, who's requesting this service?

Trust me I know vegetarians more specific than that. Won't eat potatoes that have been cooking in a separate roasting tin that was in the same oven as a chicken. Chickeny air, lock up yer kids.
  • Options
    There is no reason for any vegetarian or vegan to require that their food is prepared using separate equipment from that which is used to prepare meat. We got a call from Pizza Hut the other day asking whether we wanted our vegetarian pizzas to be cut with a separate knife than the meat pizzas. Seriously, who's requesting this service?

How would they know either way? Surely they could just ask for it not to be cut and do it themselves if they're that bothered?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    How would they know either way? Surely they could just ask for it not to be cut and do it themselves if they're that bothered?

Asking for a separate knife sounds like a sure way to get extra protein on your pizza, if you know what I mean....
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Chickeny air, lock up yer kids.

dying of laughter right now.
  • Options

I remember reading a "Viz Top Tip" many years ago.

"Having a dinner party and one of your guests is a vegetarian? Simply serve them real meat and tell them it is Linda McCartney, they'll never know the difference"
  • Options
    People...who shorten 'them' to 'em are idiots.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I remember reading a "Viz Top Tip" many years ago.

"Having a dinner party and one of your guests is a vegetarian? Simply serve them real meat and tell them it is Linda McCartney, they'll never know the difference"

I'm a veggie and would be very pissed off if someone did that.
  • Options
    I'd be pissed off is someone served me Linda McCartney - if I wanted something like meat, I'd have meat.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'd be pissed off if anyone served me something and said it was something else, even if I liked both things.
  • Options
    Can you get linda mcartney horse burgers yet?
  • Options
    Shergar burgers :)
  • Options
    I think mental health should have it's own sub forum on here - seeing as that's what dominates H&WB these days.
  • Options
    I think mental health should have it's own sub forum on here - seeing as that's what dominates H&WB these days.
    You may as well suggest that to the mods.
  • Options
    You may as well suggest that to the mods.

I'm not sure how well it will go down
  • Options
    I'm not sure how well it will go down
    The worst they can do is say they don't think it's a good idea. They'll probably see it here anyway.
  • Options

I"m starting to agree with you!
  • Options
    I hate being blessed or prayed for by people - especially religious people. I'd partake in their religious activities, or at least ask them if thats what I wanted!
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I hate being blessed or prayed for by people - especially religious people. I'd partake in their religious activities, or at least ask them if thats what I wanted!
    My view on it is that if it works, it's better for me, if it doesn't work it makes no difference, so I'm not bothered. Unless they try to force me to stay there while they do it.
  • Options
    My view on it is that if it works, it's better for me, if it doesn't work it makes no difference, so I'm not bothered. Unless they try to force me to stay there while they do it.

Same.
  • Options
    Actually, I find it at best annoying and at worst offensive. I'm with Miss Riot.
  • Options
    There's always two versions of the truth, yours and theirs. Neither actually is true.
  • Options

The kind of tolerant atheism that's slowly dying out these days.
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »

I'd call it passive atheism, perhaps straight up agnostic. What's wrong with not wanting to be prayed for?
  • Options
    Nothing, I didn't say there was (and neither do I think there is).
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    I'm not an atheist. I agree with your point though (that being that there should be tolerant atheism).
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I'd call it passive atheism, perhaps straight up agnostic. What's wrong with not wanting to be prayed for?
    Nothing wrong per say, I'm just saying that I don't care about things that don't affect me.
  • Options
    Surely not liking people praying for you is an implicit recognition that there is a God, as otherwise its no more consequential than someone muttering their shopping list under their breath (unless at the same time the person praying for you is ducking your head under the water, in which case I accept its a bit more intrusive)
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

Out of curiosity, why not?

I think praying for other people helps religious people feel better when they feel there's nothing else they can do.
  • Options
    I'm not an atheist.

Glad to hear it :D
    I agree with your point though (that being that there should be tolerant atheism).

Absolutely. This recent rise of 'New atheism" (inspired by the likes of Richard Dawkins and Brian Cox that involves smarmy and thinly-veiled-as-intellectualism digs at religion and its followers, as well as the blatant and ignorant piss-take attitude of Ricky Gervais and others) is just as bad as the fundamentalist religious types they claim to hate so much.
  • Options
    It depends on who would want to pray for me. I can see it being a bit patronising because it insinuates pity.
  • Options
    It depends on who would want to pray for me. I can see it being a bit patronising because it insinuates pity.

From my pov (and tbh I would tend to only offer it to people who I know would appreciate it, and usually I would just stick 'em on my list rather than lay hands or whatever), I don't think it implies pity it's just another way of spending time thinking about someone.