Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Royal Parks Half Marathon running group?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SuzyCreamcheese that treadmill is AMAZING! I've always thought it would be a good idea to have one at home - save on gym membership and time (and you can watch whatever you want on TV whilst running, instead of Sky Sports/mediocre music channels/Emmerdale like they show at my gym).

For those of you who've enquired about taking up a YouthNet place, that would be fantastic :d . The one thing I'll point out now is that we ask you to try and raise £499 in sponsorship/fundraising in order to take up one of our places as this is a really vital way of us raising the funds to keep TheSite.org running (no pun intended). So if you're up for the challenge, we'd love to have you on the team! If you're all based in London, you could even get together to put on some events like I mentioned before - it's loads easier to fundraise as a group.

Also, though, the £499 is just a target - i know that a lot of people get put off when we say that figure but we've found that by giving runners a high figure to aim for, they do tend to hit it! But, we won't be asking you to pay the extra if you don't get that high....we DEFINITELY don't want you losing money by agreeing to do such an awesome thing for us ;)

You can read more and sign up here http://youthnet.org/getinvolved/challengeevents/RoyalParksHalfMarathon
  • Options
    thats a lot higher figure than other charities are asking for as their minimum
  • Options
    We're on the high side for sure, but have found that this really does work and that most people, once they've started, tend to hit that amount!!

It's what you might call an "aspirational" target.... :thumb: but as I said, we won't make anyone cough up if they don't hit it.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Does anyone fancy a 5k or 10k Race for Life in summer to get started? I did the 5k run twice last year, it's fun. The obvious thing would be to go for a London event:

London runs

I thought I might try for 10k in Finsbury Park on the 23rd July but it might be a bit ambitious...
    I was going to do the Chelmsford one but I don't mind doing a London one if you need some moral support :)
  • Options
    I was going to do the Chelmsford one but I don't mind doing a London one if you need some moral support :)

Well Mum's up for doing it. She's put my trainers in the post as a prompt to get started.... I was all up for it this morning but I've hit another uncertain patch because motivating myself is really hard. I don't have anyone here to run with, etc.

Having said that, I know it made me feel so much better when I used to run regularly.
  • Options
    do online motivating each other!!

i will be running alone too to train
  • Options
    I'm having that exact same problem today piccolo....I know I should go for a run but the sofa is way more appealing after work on a Monday! One thing that always helps me is the new app I've downloaded for my phone. It's called RunKeeper - you just switch it on when you go for a run and it tracks your pace, distance and route and tells you when you've run 1k, 2k etc. It also tells you when you've done a new personal best, like you're getting faster, or further etc. I love it!
  • Options
    Cataska wrote: »
    I'm having that exact same problem today piccolo....I know I should go for a run but the sofa is way more appealing after work on a Monday! One thing that always helps me is the new app I've downloaded for my phone. It's called RunKeeper - you just switch it on when you go for a run and it tracks your pace, distance and route and tells you when you've run 1k, 2k etc. It also tells you when you've done a new personal best, like you're getting faster, or further etc. I love it!

Mum has a good one for her iPhone that tells you how to do your intervals by voice through your headphones but the only one I can find for the BlackBerry isn't compatible with my phone. Boo.
  • Options
  • Options
    Cataska wrote: »

Think I found something that will do it.
  • Options
    Good luck guys. :)
  • Options
    http://www.metro.co.uk/lifestyle/856696-how-to-prepare-for-a-marathon-in-just-12-weeks

http://www.metro.co.uk/lifestyle/856694-long-distance-running-advice-how-to-avoid-sole-destroying-injuries

these articles were in the paper this morning i was reading on the bus, so thought i would share.

good luck all you guys doing something so inspirational :)
  • Options
    I am, thanks to you guys, seriously considering doing the one mile (not much I know - but haven't run for years) fun run in May. Just got to get permission from my consultant. (because I don't know if running will completely mess my neck up even more)
  • Options
  • Options
    those who entered it via ballot. We should find out this afternoon if we have a place x
  • Options
    those who entered it via ballot. We should find out this afternoon if we have a place x

Ooooh I'm nervous!
  • Options
    Been checking my emails... no news yet.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Been checking my emails... no news yet.

I just checked Randomboy's e-mails - no news either.
  • Options
    Just checked it again and he didn't get a place :(

Then I tried to mark it as unread so he didn't know I'd been messing but I marked his entire inbox as unread... think he might notice! :blush:
  • Options
    I got a place!!!
  • Options
    I got a place!!!

I didn't
  • Options
    are you going to try and get a charity place?
  • Options
    RB has just signed up to do it for Scope (as the minimum sponsorship was only £250).
  • Options
    if i didnt get a place i was quite tempted by doing it for mind
  • Options
    are you going to try and get a charity place?

I am seriously considering doing it for YouthNet because (and I promise I'm not just saying this) I don't think any other charity has had such a significant impact on the last ten years of my life and I've seen them do such a range of good.

The other option is to see if the hospice at home charity who treated my Grandad are entering it but they're very local so I guess they won't be.

ETA: if they do, they're not advertising it.
  • Options
    i think its unlikely a local charity will be. Thats why i had to try get a public place.

Youthnet are a wonderful charity and do a lot of good work. Would be a good choice x
  • Options
    Youthnet are a wonderful charity and do a lot of good work. Would be a good choice x

Yeah... I just need to bite the bullet and do it I suppose. Someone pointed out that £500 is only 50 people sponsoring me £10 and that should be do-able...
  • Options
    Argh I just did it.

Went for my first run yesterday which was (using the technical term) crap. So I have a way to go but there are training guides that reckon you can go from 0-marathon in 12 weeks so I should be able to do half in about 24 weeks right?

I've not done more than 5k ever.
  • Options
  • Options
    katraaaaaaalllllaaaaaa, where ARE you????

did you get a place?

Franki, did you?