Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Royal Parks Half Marathon running group?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey boys and girls :D. I got my annual 'ohai, you did the Royal Parks half marathon that one time, you wanna do it again?' email from Youthnet today and I think I might actually go for it this year. Get some use out of those sodding running trainers, maybe ask mum if I can set up the treadmill in my old bedroom when there's no guests around...

But I need motivation. And what better motivation than knowing other people are going to be there to tell you how shit you are that you can't run more than 10 feet without dying?!

So I propose a big group of us do it! Maybe one of us can dress as Octi ;)?

WHO'S WITH ME?!

(alternatively, you can just promise to sponsor me lots of money...)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Randomboy just applied for the ballet yesterday. He loves running. He had some surgery a few weeks ago and isn't allowed to exercise for 6 weeks - so far it's been 4 weeks and I can't wait for him to get to do it again as it really improves his mood (he's really stressy at the mo).

I wouldn't like to run that far.

ETA: I mean ballot, not ballet!
  • Options
    i entered the ballot but if i dont get a place then please pull some strings with the modicles ;)
  • Options
    i am tempted, but i am going on holiday the week before, when thats probably the major time to train isnt it
  • Options
    actually for big runs you're meant to take it easy the week leading up to it ;)
  • Options
    do you have to choose one of the 5 charities on the website?
  • Options
    Youthnet have some places that they've already bought. I don't know how many they've got (I'm already trying to bagsy three for me + my two sisters :o), but I'm sure there'll be an announcement of some kind soon :)
  • Options
    If I was going to do it, id probably want to do it for mind, or for the national autistic society.
    I cant imagine id get many sponsors in my circle for youthnet, as much as i think they do good work and i love this site, there are other charities i feel much more strongly about
  • Options
    That's fair :). You can register for the ballot and then choose another charity, I guess?
  • Options
    National autistic society are doing it too. hmmmmmmmmm

Id love to raise money for them, but i dont know i could manage a half marathon.

How did you find it when you did it franki. How much training did you need to put in? Did you walk much of it?
  • Options
    We walked all of it and then couldn't walk again for two weeks :D.

This year I'm going to be doing it with my super-serious-runner of a big sister, so walking isn't an option. Hence why I asked her in the first place >.<
  • Options
    I will sponsor you, Franki. Would love to take part; but really can't. :(
  • Options
    Me and my mum are going to do it for the national autistic society.
    Thanks for the idea Franki. Ive been wanting to do something for them for ages, and with 2 of my kids on the spectrum, its a charity close to my heart.

(isnt that where JimV is now working?)
  • Options
    YouthNet running mod here!! :thumb:

Franki's right, we do have some guaranteed charity places (10 in all), it would be amazing to get a group of you guys to run for us. Weirdly, just last week we were saying how cool it would be to get some people running as octi....but we couldn't quite figure out how to make an octi costume that you could run 13.1 miles in without a) falling over or b) knocking someone out....:crazyeyes

This might help though - http://www.ehow.com/how_2155752_make-octopus-costume.html

There are a number of ways you can enter:

1 - Take up one of YouthNet's places to help us raise money to keep TheSite.org alive - read more here

2 - Enter the ballot and if you get a place, you can then raise money for YouthNet or for any other charity you wish (or a mix of the two ;) )

3 - Take up a place from another charity such as National Autistic Society. @SuzyCreamcheese you're right, that's JimV's new home :) It doesn't have to be one of the big 5 charities on the site, they're just the ones who have paid to get their logo on there. You can see a full list of smaller charities here.

I think we should keep this thread running from now on so that anyone who takes part can spur each other on with tips and the odd kick up the arse when someone's being lazy!!! I'm running a marathon in September so am going to need more than a little bit of encouragement over the next 6 months myself :eek:

What do you all think?
  • Options
    Cataska wrote: »
    YouthNet running mod here!! :thumb:

Franki's right, we do have some guaranteed charity places (10 in all), it would be amazing to get a group of you guys to run for us. Weirdly, just last week we were saying how cool it would be to get some people running as octi....but we couldn't quite figure out how to make an octi costume that you could run 13.1 miles in without a) falling over or b) knocking someone out....:crazyeyes

This might help though - http://www.ehow.com/how_2155752_make-octopus-costume.html

There are a number of ways you can enter:

1 - Take up one of YouthNet's places to help us raise money to keep TheSite.org alive - read more here

2 - Enter the ballot and if you get a place, you can then raise money for YouthNet or for any other charity you wish (or a mix of the two ;) )

3 - Take up a place from another charity such as National Autistic Society. @SuzyCreamcheese you're right, that's JimV's new home :) It doesn't have to be one of the big 5 charities on the site, they're just the ones who have paid to get their logo on there. You can see a full list of smaller charities here.

I think we should keep this thread running from now on so that anyone who takes part can spur each other on with tips and the odd kick up the arse when someone's being lazy!!! I'm running a marathon in September so am going to need more than a little bit of encouragement over the next 6 months myself :eek:

What do you all think?
    Yes! I also liked your twitter suggestion of me running as a panda. That would be easier to pull off, I think ;)
  • Options
    When is it? I'd like to do it - especially if there is a walking option for part of it! Not sure I'd have time to get fit though....
  • Options
    October 9th :)
  • Options
    10 months to train!
  • Options
    10 months to train!
    7 and a bit ;)
  • Options
    i got a D in maths ;)
  • Options
    If there's loads of you doing this, then I don't know whom I shall sponsor :chin:
  • Options
    If there's loads of you doing this, then I don't know whom I shall sponsor :chin:
    *cough*
  • Options
    me please
  • Options
    And therein lies my issue :chin:
  • Options
    There is the 'everybody' option ;).
  • Options
    Not according to my bank manager :(
  • Options
    As much as I'd love to run, it's a no from me :(

I'll definitely sponsor though.
  • Options
    Not according to my bank manager :(
    Your bank manager lies.

(Also you could split it?)
  • Options
    I have time to consider my options... maybe nearer the time we could have a thread saying who everyone is running for and a little about each charity...?
  • Options
    OK, I'll consider it. When do you need to know by? It would do me good to have a reason to run again!
  • Options
    There's one week left to register on the Royal Parks site to go into the ballot. You'd have to ask Cat if you wanted a Youthnet spot :)