Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cranberry Pills for UTI?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have heard from a lot of people that you don't need to go to the doctor if you have a UTI. You can go to the drug store and buy these cranberry pills and in about 4-7 days they almost always clear up a UTI. Also you are suppose to drink lots of water and cranberry juice, can anyone confirm this? Or is it just a myth?

Comments

• Options
    Cranberry pills arent as effective as people like to think, in fact there's minimum evidence to support they work. Most people report having there creatine kinase knocked off balance when using them.

The best thing to do is drink atleast 3 litres of water a day. This will detox any infection to do the water.
  • Options
    Antibiotics work much better. Its an INFECTION. If its not taken care of completly and fully in a timely fashion it can become much worse. Pain, blood and in need of treatment for several months instead of just a week. Untreated, UTI's can lead to pyelonephritis, kidney scaring and kidney damage.
  • Options
    If you have a minor bout of cystitis then you can just get those over the counter things, but if it doesn't get better within a few days or you get back pain you should go straight to the dr

Cranberry juice apparebtly helps cos it neautralises the urine or something? I think cranberry caplets help prevent it you you should take it regularly to avoid getting cystitis, I don't think they help that much if you've already got it. People who get regular UTI's often take them

Cystitis is grim. I had it for over a week and I had to go to the toilet about 6 times an hour when it was at its worst. At one point I just gave up and stayed on there
  • Options
    Oh if you're a man I think its different though. I think you're supposed to go to the dr if you're a man cos its more serious than a woman. Cos of where your bits are or something. Correct me if I'm wrong though
  • Options
    She should be drinking lots of water, and if she fancies it cranberry juice as it can reduce the pain, BUT she also needs to get it properly treated.
  • Options
    i get cystitis bout once twice a month and all the lovely doctor can say is drink more water, i drink bout 6+ pints a day! but really if youve already got it then you should go and get some antibiotics and make sure you finish the pack becuase it will come back if you dont.

few tips

warm baths with no bubble bath are heaven!
    hot water bottle between the legs or on the lower part of your back can also help
    do drink alot of water and cranberry juice can help although there isnt much evidence
    sometimes it can be triggered by sex so always wee before and after!
    avoid anything acidy especially alcohol!

as for cranberry tablets, im not too sure what the evidence is for them but i should think there more of a preventative than a cure.