Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

School and text talk.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Franki wrote: »
    It's not a language, it's a bastardisation of one.

Point taken
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    You're a banker. Spelling's probably not your strong point. Then again, neither are numbers... :p

I only need numbers to work out how many Maseratis I can afford with my annual bonus :thumb:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Only referred to a thesaurus twice there, for the record. Had to rack my brains for the rest.

Kudos. I would have had to look up all but two in order to understand that sentence. :D
  • Options
    super147 wrote: »
    I think you got my point, and I accept yours. Slightly nitpicking if you ask me, but that's cool.

Mmm, not really. You were using it in a context which implied that it was somehow useful. It isn't. It is pure laziness and it has no use that I am aware of.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Mmm, not really. You were using it in a context which implied that it was somehow useful. It isn't. It is pure laziness and it has no use that I am aware of.

I edited my original comment and apologise if it was snippy. I don't want to get into a debate. You're right that it isn't a language.
  • Options
    I only need numbers to work out how many Maseratis I can afford with my annual bonus :thumb:
    Just for you, then.

pompous-copy.jpg
    Thunderstruck struggling to pick out which colour Maseratis he wanted, yesterday.
  • Options
    All about the GranCab.
  • Options
    I think you should do your hair like that, Thunder :yes:.
  • Options
    So do I. Sadly it's rarely that compliant.
  • Options
    I really hate the text talk debate, so I'm not going to stick around but I have a few things to say.

At a basic level language is the use of symbols / sounds to communicate. Therefore I think text talk has to come under the language umbrella.

If people want to use text talk in places where others can choose whether or not to read what they have written, I don't see the problem. Sure in a work place its not appropriate, but in texts or on facebook where we have a choice over what we read, I think its up to the individual. I think too bigger a deal is made of it most of the time.

I find text talk slightly annoying, but some people like to use it for informal chat. If I can't read it / don't want to read it - I don't.
  • Options
    text talk is just an example of sheer laziness. The "time" saved by using it is easily lost in the time taken trying to decode and understand it. I used "time" because sometimes I don't even think it is faster than just using proper English.

I can see why text talk exists, same way as we had our own code words and language at school when I was a kid. It shouldn't ever be encouraged in a school setting though. It's like teaching 4 year olds how to spell fuck and shit, pointless and inappropriate.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I can see why text talk exists, same way as we had our own code words and language at school when I was a kid. It shouldn't ever be encouraged in a school setting though. It's like teaching 4 year olds how to spell fuck and shit, pointless and inappropriate.
    Kids learn swear words younger and younger these days. (My god, I feel old this week. First I was listening to the England game on Radio 5 Live on Wednesday afternoon whilst driving back from Antrim, now I'm talking like this. I'll be listening to Radio 2 next. Sigh.) This reminds me of a story.

Last December, I attended the christening of the baby of my girlfriend's brother. After leaving the church, we had to go over to the house of the gf's brother's wife's parents (keeping up? Good) for a celebratory buffet. After entering the house, I was greeted with the sight of a three-year old boy running around the kitchen, chasing a little dog around, shouting "Get over here, ya wee cunt!" at him.

Where he learnt such words from is a mystery. And no, he hadn't met me previously, if anyone is feeling cheeky enough to ask.

Is text talk just one of those things kids grow out of, or does it stay around? There does seem to be more of this mangled English around right now.
  • Options
    I have no real issue with txt talk. I don't think it's a language in its own right and I agree with Franki that it's just a bastardisation.

People will use it. Accept that aspect and move on to just fighting against it being taught in schools or being marked as "acceptable" in examinations.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    text talk is just an example of sheer laziness. The "time" saved by using it is easily lost in the time taken trying to decode and understand it. I used "time" because sometimes I don't even think it is faster than just using proper English.

Not if a person already understands the message. It is how information and communication works.

I stand that a dislike of text talk is just hankering back to the good old days, when it's normal for language to evolve.

I still would like to know, from anybody posting in this thread, why language is or should be fixed, and who determines this? And more fittingly, who determines this for the English language?
  • Options
    kira wrote: »

I stand that a dislike of text talk is just hankering back to the good old days, when it's normal for language to evolve.

This isnt language evolving though, it might be quicker to write but it takes an awful lot longer to comprehend.
  • Options
    For persons who don't understand it, yes.

but in any communication (or at least a successful one) there has to be mutual understanding. millions of persons in the UK and around the world understand it well enough, otherwise it would have no purpose.
  • Options
    For persons who don't understand it, yes.

but in any communication (or at least a successful one) there has to be mutual understanding. millions of persons in the UK and around the world understand it well enough, otherwise it would have no purpose.

I do understand it, im not saying I dont, Im just saying its much harder to read text talk, and coincidentally on a full keyboard (not a phone) and when handwriting, its much easier to put the english in full. So if it does occur that its easier to write it and understand what is written, why are you so against standards being upheld regarding the english language.
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    I do understand it, im not saying I dont, Im just saying its much harder to read text talk, and coincidentally on a full keyboard (not a phone) and when handwriting, its much easier to put the english in full. So if it does occur that its easier to write it and understand what is written, why are you so against standards being upheld regarding the english language.

text talk does have its own standards. all language by definition has standards.
  • Options
    What are the standards then?
  • Options
    Abbreviations for words. this is why text talk was invented.

like u for you, lol for laugh out loud, etc.
  • Options
    Theres a difference between abbreviations and bastardised words though.
  • Options
    Well, the issue doesn't really bother me. I think language is a social construct and norms are only situational.
  • Options
    Well, the issue doesn't really bother me. I think language is a social construct and norms are only situational.

There you go again with a sweeping statement that doesnt actually answer any of the arguments put against you.
  • Options
    That is my opinion on the subject. Text talk doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    You were pointing out a definate "this is how it is" not pasting your opinion.

I give up.
  • Options
    I'm simply saying why text talk cannot be seen as a normal evolution of language. It's just people placing personal values in a normal process.
  • Options
    Thanx everyone Xx :D
  • Options
    I'm simply saying why text talk cannot be seen as a normal evolution of language.

Oh really?

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showpost.php?p=2329155&postcount=9
    I see text talk as just another evolution in human language. There are no absolutes in life.
  • Options
    I thought that Hollyboo's account got closed. Maybe this is her new handle? Just to repeat what I wrote in Hellfire's thread when Hollyboo was here the first time round:

Hellfire's thread.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    The purpose of 'txt tlk' was to allow mobile users to fit a maximum of 160 characters into a text message, as that was the size limit back then. We're talking late 90s / early naughties, and messages have since increased to a limit of 640 characters. That is the length of a normal email. Text talk should have therefore died with it.

If the QWERTY keyboard was ever a problem, please be aware that there are ABCDE keyboards available on the market.
  • Options
    People who use 'text speak' when it's not absolutely necessary drive me mental, as do adverts and companies that use it in order to get 'down wid da kids'.

It seems to me that it's another symptom of a society that requires instant gratification; taking the time to actually write a whole word just gets in the way, in the same way as walking for fifteen minutes is unacceptable so people drive instead; over a quarter of all car journeys are under 2 miles. Or people taking out loans with huge interest rates so that they can buy a new iPhone, because they want it NOW! Forget taking pride and pleasure in your language, the act of writing and the art of communication (because it IS an art), let's get this out of the way with so that I can go do something else. Like put my ready meal in the microwave.

A phenomenon I've recently noticed is kids using words that look like text speak, but which are actually longer than the word in its un-fuggered form! An example from my friend's 15 year old sister's facebook status: "propaaar tyred now bt newayzzz Kaffrin doe yhoo wnnta goe 2 ice skating wiv meee tooooniteee??"

I shit you not - actual facebook status. Scares the b'Jesus out of me.