Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

anyone know how to get small pieces of glass out of a foot?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
not as drasti c as it seems- my little brother dropped a glass bowl and then came out of the kitchen and is now sittin with his legs on my lap.. hes got really really tiny bits of glass in his soft little feet and theres tiny dots of blood.too small to tweezer out.
hes fine but if he feels ok do i still need to get it all out?
thanks, quick replies please!

Comments

• Options
    Well I have to go to the Dr's and have glass taken out of my elbow from a year ago. But that's a big chunk.

They should work there way out of the foot, if not or your worried, go to the Dr.
  • Options
    If they are very, very tiny, maybe try flushing out the bits with clean, running water?

If you're still worried, I'd take him to get checked out. Do you have anything like a minor injuries unit nearby?
  • Options
    Wash the foot.

Let them come out naturally or cut them out horrifically.
  • Options
    or phone NHS direct...
  • Options
    Visit a professional, you cannot risk a single one being left in.
  • Options
    How old is he? Sounds quite young. Try and keep him off his feet, soak them in warm water will probably help them come out and take him to see someone in the morning. The practise nurse at the GP will probably do the trick.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Wash the foot.

Let them come out naturally or cut them out horrifically.

NOO I did that once with glass, thought ah it will work its way up to the top (wasnt even sure if glass was still there as the cut was bad) and 2 years on i still have glass in there which does hurt if i put presure on it.

Get it looked at by a doc DONT just leave it!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    NOO I did that once with glass, thought ah it will work its way up to the top (wasnt even sure if glass was still there as the cut was bad) and 2 years on i still have glass in there which does hurt if i put presure on it.

:yes: Very true.

I had a lump on my foot for years which was always flaring up and hurt when I put pressure on it. One day it was bothering me so much I gave it an extra hard squeeze and a fucking great thorn popped out. Relief.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I gave it an extra hard squeeze and a fucking great thorn popped out. Relief.
    that makes me feel sick!
    i stood on some glass on holiday once and thought some was still in there but because we couldn't see anything my parents wouldn't believe me. so i did surgery on my foot and got it out myself!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    lipsy wrote:
    that makes me feel sick!

:lol:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    hes 9 for whoever asked.
    erm i gave it a wipe with a flannel, there were only about 5 little points of blood really not loads and loads.
    i left it, he felt fine and hasnt complained since.
    we have a sort of 'get up and get over it' attitude in my house so unless he says it hurts then i think its ok.