Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

School and text talk.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    People who use 'text speak' when it's not absolutely necessary drive me mental, as do adverts and companies that use it in order to get 'down wid da kids'.

It seems to me that it's another symptom of a society that requires instant gratification; taking the time to actually write a whole word just gets in the way, in the same way as walking for fifteen minutes is unacceptable so people drive instead; over a quarter of all car journeys are under 2 miles. Or people taking out loans with huge interest rates so that they can buy a new iPhone, because they want it NOW! Forget taking pride and pleasure in your language, the act of writing and the art of communication (because it IS an art), let's get this out of the way with so that I can go do something else. Like put my ready meal in the microwave.

A phenomenon I've recently noticed is kids using words that look like text speak, but which are actually longer than the word in its un-fuggered form! An example from my friend's 15 year old sister's facebook status: "propaaar tyred now bt newayzzz Kaffrin doe yhoo wnnta goe 2 ice skating wiv meee tooooniteee??"

I shit you not - actual facebook status. Scares the b'Jesus out of me.

Ha! An utter +1 for this post! Made me laugh too! :D

Whilst I said earlier in this thread that I am not opposed to textspeak, when used appropriately (and without debating if it's ever appropriate) I am certainly not a fan of people using it out of sheer laziness. I type all of my text messages in full form, it's just how I am. The only forms of textspeak that I will use are perhaps expressions of laughter or merriment. I dnt tlk lyk dis or anyfin. Nah man, not dwn wiv dat! :crazyeyes
    Don't feed the troll G. He's deliberately obtuse so I personally wouldn't bother.

Next he'll be telling us that people say that people don't speak languages...

Most people are contradictory.
    People who use 'text speak' when it's not absolutely necessary drive me mental, as do adverts and companies that use it in order to get 'down wid da kids'.

It seems to me that it's another symptom of a society that requires instant gratification; taking the time to actually write a whole word just gets in the way, in the same way as walking for fifteen minutes is unacceptable so people drive instead; over a quarter of all car journeys are under 2 miles. Or people taking out loans with huge interest rates so that they can buy a new iPhone, because they want it NOW! Forget taking pride and pleasure in your language, the act of writing and the art of communication (because it IS an art), let's get this out of the way with so that I can go do something else. Like put my ready meal in the microwave.

A phenomenon I've recently noticed is kids using words that look like text speak, but which are actually longer than the word in its un-fuggered form! An example from my friend's 15 year old sister's facebook status: "propaaar tyred now bt newayzzz Kaffrin doe yhoo wnnta goe 2 ice skating wiv meee tooooniteee??"

Isn't language contextual? Who defines the rules of language?
    kira wrote: »
    Isn't language contextual? Who defines the rules of language?

I do.
    I'm fairly ambivalent about text talk. It's grim to look at and hard to read. It also drops most of the subtlety, nuance and expressiveness a reasonable command of the English language affords a person, and for that reason I see little reason to use it myself. I can't imagine it does anything to bolster one's grasp of the English language, either, and in fact is probably a detriment to it. But, it's also not something that I come across all that often. I'm exposed to it on here from time-to-time, and on FB occasionally, that's about it.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Yes, I've noticed it with younger cousins, siblings etc - I like it, clearly not laziness but just a phonetic kind of language that's used in fun. When I was in my teens my friends and I used to communicate in all kinds of ways that were scary to adults and other people around us - back slang and all kinds of different varients. Do we speak like it now? Of course not. Had we had access to something like Facebook back then would we have done the same thing? Probably. ;)
    Street Varients? What kind of Bare rubbish is this?!
    I don't mind if other people use it, but i hate using it. Occasionally i will if i have to. Although in saying that i have a friend who uses it all the time when there is no need, and says "wood" for "would" and "cood" for "could" and it annoys the hell out of me! I wouldn't mind if she wrote "cld" or "wld" though. :chin:
    With respect, all these arguments for and against text talk have been discussed ad nausium in previous threads. What surprises me that nobody seems to have passed comment on the fact that the OP feels somehow disadvantaged by not being very good at it and is, therefore, struggling with her essay.

If Lil Miss Angel is having to look up text talk definitions in order to write an essay, the logical conclusion is that the school (or at least her teacher) is encouraging her to learn and use it ... and that, to me, seems rather counter-productive to the teaching of good/standard English.
    With respect, all these arguments for and against text talk have been discussed ad nausium in previous threads. What surprises me that nobody seems to have passed comment on the fact that the OP feels somehow disadvantaged by not being very good at it and is, therefore, struggling with her essay.

If Lil Miss Angel is having to look up text talk definitions in order to write an essay, the logical conclusion is that the school (or at least her teacher) is encouraging her to learn and use it ... and that, to me, seems rather counter-productive to the teaching of good/standard English.

Whatt are g clipping's i can't find it on the google and what are abreviations, i av 2bre sit it cuz i got a low mark im gionna fail im nt even good with for nd agains argeuments i cnt fail wa will father and mother think oof me i do not even no how too start it im so confused
    I do.

Why?
    Why?

Because text talk is a bastardisation of the English language. As others have said it is now totally unnecessary due to the increased message space in text messages. If people want to use it in general conversation then fine, it has absolutely no place being taught in school.
    Furthermore, when you use text speak in any other context other than text messages, people (me) make judgements about you. They may be correct, they may not be, but I'll wager that I'm far from alone in that regard.
    Whatt are g clipping's i can't find it on the google and what are abreviations, i av 2bre sit it cuz i got a low mark im gionna fail im nt even good with for nd agains argeuments i cnt fail wa will father and mother think oof me i do not even no how too start it im so confused

In terms of this thread, I suggest you stick to plain English. It is easier for everyone to read.

I have no idea what "g clippings" are.

An "abbreviation" is just a shortened word. For example, when you take out the vowels (a,e,i,o,u) to save space, or just use the sound of the word, e.g. l8r for later, u for you, etc. Most abbreviations are easily understood, as the brain is capable of deciphering even quite long passages of misspelled text, as long as the first and last letters are in the right place. Here is a piece that has been circulating on email for ages.

Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm.

For some of us, the problem with text talk is that it is no longer just abbreviated English. Some words are being deliberately and, in my view, childishly, misspelled to the extent that there is a danger that future generations may never learn to spell correctly. Unfortunately, whatever you might think about the evolution of language, people who are unable to express themselves in standard English are likely to be disadvantaged both in education and in employment.
    Why?

Because 'evolution' of language only occurs if it is widespread enough and if it is supported by frequent use in a wide enough array of methods. I make a point of not buying products which use text talk (or even just general crap English) to advertise, I will very rarely pay people the same level of attention and respect if they communicate with me via text talk, and I do my best to promote the use of language in a positive and articulate manner. I take some responsibility for not letting the English language slide limply into a pile of abbreviated shit. Or sht. I wish more people would.

I genuinely believe it has already contributed to a decline in standards of grammar and spelling; I've always nitpicked about typos in newspapers etc., but the amount of absolute clangers I've seen on branded and advertised packaging recently is unbelievable. Those mistakes must have to pass through what, 3,4,5 people at least before they're approved?
    I blame e e cummings.
    I blame e e cummings.

eye hart e e cummings ;)
    I genuinely believe it has already contributed to a decline in standards of grammar and spelling; I've always nitpicked about typos in newspapers etc., but the amount of absolute clangers I've seen on branded and advertised packaging recently is unbelievable. Those mistakes must have to pass through what, 3,4,5 people at least before they're approved?

:yes: I've noticed this too. It's definitely becoming more common. It happens at my workplace as well - we produce reports and press releases which get published on our website and they are often riddled with errors, despite having been written by communications "experts" and quality checked numerous times prior to release.
    It makes me sad that people who get paid to be able to spell properly can't even do that right, and yet I, the girl who was nicknamed 'dictionary' at school, can't get a job to save my life :(.
    Franki wrote: »
    It makes me sad that people who get paid to be able to spell properly can't even do that right, and yet I, the girl who was nicknamed 'dictionary' at school, can't get a job to save my life :(.

Was your nickname really 'Dictionary'? :D
    Was your nickname really 'Dictionary'? :D
    Among other things, yes :yeees:.
    Franki wrote: »
    Among other things, yes :yeees:.

Ahaha! :eek: Would you like to work for me? I will pay you large amounts to bring me food right now! I'm tired!! My legs don't work!! It's cold!! People are too loud!! Oops, wrong thread :lol:
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Because text talk is a bastardisation of the English language.
    English is itself a bastard language. It borrows heavily from languages that are prevalent in countries mostly invaded by England over the last few hundred years.

Then again I wasn't expecting a Blunkett Bobby to know that. :p
    Because 'evolution' of language only occurs if it is widespread enough and if it is supported by frequent use in a wide enough array of methods. I make a point of not buying products which use text talk (or even just general crap English) to advertise, I will very rarely pay people the same level of attention and respect if they communicate with me via text talk, and I do my best to promote the use of language in a positive and articulate manner. I take some responsibility for not letting the English language slide limply into a pile of abbreviated shit. Or sht. I wish more people would.

But it is getting more widespread. So why is not a normal evolution?

I frankly don't see why it matters. I already know what is good English, and what even defines good English is just social convention. There is no organisation or body that sanctions this.
    I frankly don't see why it matters. I already know what is good English, and what even defines good English is just social convention. There is no organisation or body that sanctions this.

Kira, do countries exist?
    But it is getting more widespread. So why is not a normal evolution?

But language should not evolve through laziness or misuse but that may just be the linguist in me.

There should be a body to protect and standardise English. Most
    people look to the OED. Spanish and French have institutions for this purpose. Furthermore, Sri Lanka has a special ministry to invent new Singhalese words for anglicisms that enter the language.
    Kira, do countries exist?

Don't be ridiculous. People say that countries don't exist, ergo they don't. Quod erat demonstrandum motherfuckers.
    Don't be ridiculous. People say that countries don't exist, ergo they don't. Quod erat demonstrandum motherfuckers.

This made me LAUGH! :D I confess to being clueless as to the translation of the latin, but the ending was inspired! :thumb:

:lol:

Awesome. If you'd have just put a comma before 'motherfuckers', I may be e-mounting you right now. But let's not go there :p

On a more general point, there is a clear difference between language evolving and language being corrupted. Adding the word 'googling' to the OED or using the word 'text' as a verb is evolution. Using a '2' because you find it so much effort to write a two letter word is not.
    At least Jamelia can't pick me up on my spelling in other languages. Linguistics win.