Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Annoying phrases

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When people say LOL. Really fucks me off. I don't mind "that was such a lol" as I say that. But when people go "hah hah hah ... lol ..."

WOW. It's annoying. YOU JUST LAUGHED! YOU DON'T NEED TO STATE "laugh out loud"!!!
  • Options
    Oh people who use a totally inappropriate word to describe someone.

If a woman goes into a burning building to rescue a co-worker, thats brave.

Picking fucking boxes on Deal or no Deal, is NOT FUCKING BRAVE NOEL. GOT THAT ?
  • Options
    when people add 'at all' to the end of all their sentences. like 'theres no need for that, AT ALL' or 'i just dont know where it is, AT ALL'. i think its mainly a scally thing round here...annoying.
    Rich does this all the time and it bugs me so much. 'Do you want anything to eat, at all?', 'Did you sleep any better, at all?' NO SHUT UP :grump:.
    StrubbleS wrote:
    This, with "I could care less." Oh wow, you could care less, why don't you care less then? [I couldn't care less]

This makes me irrationally angry and nobody else gets it. RARGH IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE.
  • Options
    When people say LOL. Really fucks me off. I don't mind "that was such a lol" as I say that. But when people go "hah hah hah ... lol ..."

WOW. It's annoying. YOU JUST LAUGHED! YOU DON'T NEED TO STATE "laugh out loud"!!!

Ahhh man, I'm guilty of saying "LOL" in real life. I started off using it ironically - honestly, guv' - but now someone'll make a bad joke and I'll say "LOL" in as droll a voice as I can muster. I need to stop it.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Oh My God!

Oh Emm Gee is worse.

Same amount of syllables, just say it properly, yeah?
  • Options
    :blush: you know, I do most of these things. I blame it on my chavvy norvvan accent :p
    Xx
  • Options
    Ahhh man, I'm guilty of saying "LOL" in real life. I started off using it ironically - honestly, guv' - but now someone'll make a bad joke and I'll say "LOL" in as droll a voice as I can muster. I need to stop it.

Oh yeah, my friend says it in such a droll voice. Break the habit, it's so annoying!
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    RARGH IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE.

I agree - it really doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Nice topic Katralla :-)

Grace, I'm guilty as charged as what you wrote (I'm shattered).

As for me, my most annoying one has gotta be my old MD (magaging director)... he would always try and use "re", like when you hit reply to an email, it puts a "re" in front of it. The MD would say something like.. "What's happening in today's meeting re the financial budget" or "Who is going tonight re our bowling event?". I think he meant re as regarding but he would only pronounce the first 2 letters, verbally and written. I have never known anyone else in my life to do that.

Everybody likes a grumble, especially us oldies ;)
  • Options

grumpy guts, lolling is fun
  • Options
    Another one is when adverts (especially TV adverts) say that their new product is better, tougher, faster, more efficient, more accurate, longer lasting. Possibly, but faster/better/tougher than what?

Quantify it with figures too.

Or just read Which? Magazine :-)
  • Options
    One which I do all the bloody time "I have no idea at all... but try xxxxxxx"

"Going forward" as a management speak phrase for 'forget the discussion, this is what we are doing'
  • Options
    Any sentence beginning with so......
  • Options
    Another one is when adverts (especially TV adverts) say that their new product is better, tougher, faster, more efficient, more accurate, longer lasting. Possibly, but faster/better/tougher than what?

On a similar note: "new and improved". Well... is it new, or is it improved?
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »

For a very long time, Tesco sold "Traditional Cloudy Lemonade"... with a big "NEW" flash on it
  • Options
    Genuine NEW antiques
  • Options
    A couple of others:

"Is it a PC or a laptop?" Yes, I know what they mean by that (is it a desktop or a laptop?), but when that question used to rear its ugly head out of my old IT manager (repeat IT manager), I am less forgiving :-)

My other phrase-related gripe probably only applies to oldies - old farts warning once again: People who say "video" or "DVD". Video does extend beyond VHS, including motion picture that appears on Youtube. It's down to assumption that they were differentiating between VHS and DVD, but remember my dears, video was around before then (super8 / betamax) and afterwards (blu-ray). "V-H-S" or "vid-eee-oh".. 3 syllables.

To a lesser extent, people who refer to all vacuum cleaners as a "Hoover", but I'll let them off on that one, simply because mine really is a Hoover :-P
  • Options
    what about people who call movies films?
  • Options
    Ahh, I've always called them 'films', regardless to whether it was seen on TV, video or at the cinema. Guess I shot myself in the foot there.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    what about people who call movies films?

cuz we arent americaaaan? i always thought anywho
  • Options
    Is movie or film the british term? I always say movie.

I could care less... couldn't... you couldn't care less.
  • Options
    Ahh, I've always called them 'films', regardless to whether it was seen on TV, video or at the cinema. Guess I shot myself in the foot there.

I was thinking more about how it's made...
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »

Neither. It's usually a con by the manufacturer. They'lltake out a little salt, sugar, pepper or whatever then 3 months later they put it back in and you have your new and improved.
  • Options
    cuz we arent americaaaan? i always thought anywho

What about something like a feature length animated movie like The Simpsons Movie -is that a film? Or something that is made on DV, like Lee's Bamboozled? I think they're movies, and some movies can be films.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    Is movie or film the british term? I always say movie.

I could care less... couldn't... you couldn't care less.

Movie is the American term.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Neither. It's usually a con by the manufacturer. They'lltake out a little salt, sugar, pepper or whatever then 3 months later they put it back in and you have your new and improved.

If washing up liquid really kept getting 50% more effective/concentrated, we wouldn't need more than a bottle a lifetime by now.
  • Options
    Very annoying when people use Of instead of Have! Grrrr
  • Options
    I don't know if Push Pops are still around, going back 19-odd years (school, 1991), but their catchphrase used to annoy me. It was something like "Don't push me, this is a push pop."

On the opposite side of the coin, "You've been Tango'd" was a much better advertising campaign :-D Tango was the same era as Push Pops.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    oh I remember push-pop's... I also remember having very sticky thumbs >_<
  • Options
    What are push pops?
    Xx