Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Annoying phrases

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Like at the end of setences, living in the worst place for it.

"I just don't understand, like."

and "Alright cheif?" - what?

I've heard people using TTYL on conversations, on phones. "Okay TTYL later", gah.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Anything that is redundant is farly annoying. For example: "PIN number"
  • Options
    People that say literally when it's obviously not meant in a literal sense.

"And, it literally blew my mind!"

No, it didn't. Be thankful for that.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Stop stealing from XKCD ;[[

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/literally.png
  • Options
    Nuh, uh!

Must be a popular peeve. :cool:
  • Options
    Haha I say so many of these things. You people would love to chat with me. :D
  • Options
    No offence babe, but what you have to understand is that at the end of the day, I literally just turned around and she was like, quit staring at my breasts, like proper, right, if you see what I mean.
  • Options
    innit, in general, but particularly where "isn't it" doesn't make sense - I end up mentally rewinding, and trying to make it make sense, and so I miss what's being said.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    "Quit staring at my breasts."

proper annoying.

and "proper" instead of "really" or "quite"

I used to say 'proper' alot. Now I don't say it as much as it annoys me when I do say it.
  • Options
    Nice topic Katralla :-)

Grace, I'm guilty as charged as what you wrote (I'm shattered).

As for me, my most annoying one has gotta be my old MD (magaging director)... he would always try and use "re", like when you hit reply to an email, it puts a "re" in front of it. The MD would say something like.. "What's happening in today's meeting re the financial budget" or "Who is going tonight re our bowling event?". I think he meant re as regarding but he would only pronounce the first 2 letters, verbally and written. I have never known anyone else in my life to do that.
  • Options
    Several things:

- People pretending to sound intellectual by using myself instead of me. It's not clever, it's most likely wrong.
    - General grammatical errors, including total ignorance of the English subjunctive or the difference between who and whom

However, the thing that irritates me above all else is the high rising terminal, otherwise known as the Australian questioning intonation.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Nice topic Katralla :-)

Grace, I'm guilty as charged as what you wrote (I'm shattered).

As for me, my most annoying one has gotta be my old MD (magaging director)... he would always try and use "re", like when you hit reply to an email, it puts a "re" in front of it. The MD would say something like.. "What's happening in today's meeting re the financial budget" .

did he pronounce it "ray" or "ree" - if the former, he's possibly had a classical education, and knows what he's doing.
  • Options
    I also get particularly irritated by people who use common phrases, but get them a bit wrong. Especially when they use them all the time.

Someone I work with says 'often or not' nearly EVERY day, and I just want to shake him and scream 'AAAAAARRGGHH! MORE often THAN not'. His version doesn't even make sense :grump:
  • Options
    "if you think about it" - mother fuckers.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    did he pronounce it "ray" or "ree" - if the former, he's possibly had a classical education, and knows what he's doing.

He was saying it "ree" :blush:
  • Options
    Then his Latin sucks. Unless mine does :D
  • Options
    However, the thing that irritates me above all else is the high rising terminal, otherwise known as the Australian questioning intonation.

:yes: I so agree with you here.
  • Options
    :yes: I so agree with you here.
    I used to do that all the time too :blush:.

I'm surprised I have friends...
  • Options
    when people add 'at all' to the end of all their sentences. like 'theres no need for that, AT ALL' or 'i just dont know where it is, AT ALL'. i think its mainly a scally thing round here...annoying.
  • Options
    when people add 'at all' to the end of all their sentences. like 'theres no need for that, AT ALL' or 'i just dont know where it is, AT ALL'. i think its mainly a scally thing round here...annoying.

It's just turned into 't'all though really.

'Do you want a plastic bag 't'all?'
  • Options
    What you all have to understand, if you think about it chief, the use of English language is proper bad these days innit.

Totally.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    What you all have to understand, if you think about it chief, the use of English language is proper bad these days innit.

Totally.

Innit
  • Options
    .Leanne. wrote: »
    I used to say 'proper' alot. Now I don't say it as much as it annoys me when I do say it.

I picked that up from you silly brits and I say it way to often.

Other things, "I would've gone, but I was to tired" turns into "I would of gone, ..." NO that doesn't make any sense.

That, and what already has been mentioned, "tbh". At the end of an sentence where it doesn't make sense.

"I didn't like the movie tbh." No shit? I would of (<-- HAHAHA!) thought you'd lie to me if you didn't add the 'tbh'.
    Kaff wrote: »
    I also get particularly irritated by people who use common phrases, but get them a bit wrong. Especially when they use them all the time.

Someone I work with says 'often or not' nearly EVERY day, and I just want to shake him and scream 'AAAAAARRGGHH! MORE often THAN not'. His version doesn't even make sense :grump:

This, with "I could care less." Oh wow, you could care less, why don't you care less then? [I couldn't care less]
  • Options
    At the end of the day though, this is how some of us like to talk innit. Deal with it!

Alot of the time it's to do with where you're from.
  • Options
    Oh My God!
  • Options
    Several things:

- People pretending to sound intellectual by using myself instead of me. It's not clever, it's most likely wrong.
    - General grammatical errors, including total ignorance of the English subjunctive or the difference between who and whom

Likewise, random use of "me" and "I".
  • Options
    I'm not racist/homophobic/sexist but..........

If i can than anyone can.

You know me, i'm not one to gossip but........
  • Options
    Bare jokes.
  • Options
    I dislike when people misquote lines from films. It really grinds my gears. I don't know why. The worst is when they get one word wrong, but it's a key word. If you can't quote it properly, you shouldn't be quoting it. Tsk.

Then there's the use of the word "itch" to mean "scratch", rather than the cause of the need for scratching. Itch is dictionary acceptably defined in this manner, but I don't like it.

Then there's the old favourite of "First .... " but without a second.

I could go on, but it'd take too long.
  • Options
    What REALLY annoys me is when a teacher goes...
    "There's no such word as can't"
    eerrmmm yeah, there is. I don't know what kind of dictionary you have but can't is defiantly in mine...
    Xx