Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Text talk - TheSite.org's stance

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I speak four languages and speak another six to a varying level of competency, from a few words and choice phrases (Dutch, Hungarian, Turkish) to being able to get by (Italian, Portugese, German). None of these include text talk.

Holly, text talk is a mixture of abbreviations and missing out the vowels in words. It's not a case of learning it. Also, as others have pointed out, the people who use it generally can't write English in the first place.

Also important is to ask yourself; where does fluent Spanish, French and Russian get you? Or indeed, correct English?
    Many, many places.

Where does fluent teen txtspk get you?
    Nowhere.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Ellway ankthay oodnessgay orfay ethay enselesssay estrictionsray onway akingmay ensesay eingbay emovedray.

Well thank goodness for the senseless restrictions on making sense being removed.

:thumb:
  • Options
    It makes me laugh that you think that

Oh don't lie, you know you are too busy doing cbb and making out with your husband and you're going to brin it on because you are a brin type of person.
  • Options
    Also, as others have pointed out, the people who use it generally can't write English in the first place.

Phew, thought I was alone on that.

Like I said before (last posts on a page suck), comparing many people who signed on and used text talk, seemed illiterate to me in a way, that I had to read their posts 2 and 3 times to make out what they were saying when they were writing 'proper' English, because they were asked to kindly do so. I'm just so amazed you meant that seriously, Helen. I think it was just a buff word to not alienate the text talking aficionados, because you need to be unbiased and stuff.

There is really no point in writing text speak outside of actual texts (because of character limitation), nobody can tell me that it saves time typing.

And no offense, but the fact that modship is defending this to "side with the young hip and trendy, so they feel more accepted in their hip and trendy way to communicate" (as I have the feeling it is), is basically and allowance to violate the beautiful English language in the posterior.

But anyway, don't see the point of the thread, because it will neither be banned (it just can't be) nor will it open peoples eyes "oooh, text talk is such a practical way of communicating, I'll learn it so I can understand this gibberish." I thought it was fine as it was.
    my name wrote: »
    Oh don't lie, you know you are too busy doing cbb and making out with your husband and you're going to brin it on because you are a brin type of person.

*wipes spit of screen* well played ma'am.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru! And zen world!

:)

As opposed to txttlk i cn stll rd tis flntly
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Completely agree StrubbleS. Txttlk in a place with no character limitation is just lazy and means people dont get the best help they could. If asking people to take time out of their lives to help others on web fourms the least they could do is rit in propa lngue.
  • Options
    You're still being dumb strubbles! It's already been outlined several times, by different posters, that this merely is making a point that you are not allowed to flame other users for text talking. TBH as much as the paladins of grammar and spelling probably think they're doing the upstanding thing and 'helping' others, it just comes off as patronising in threads and snobbish here.

"I won't offer my advice unless you learn proper English, ma'am."

"You only use text talk if you're not clever enough to speak English to my level."
  • Options
    It is not a matter of "learning proper english", because if someone has difficulties with the language (not a native speaker) then there will be not a single one to flame him, because he can't do better.

But text talkers CAN do it, but don't for whatever reason.

And yes, I don't offer advice then, because I don't even know what the original issue is, either because I can't decipher keywords or am not familiar with self invented abbreviations and acronyms or it is just too unpleasant and time stealing to read.

I am by god not a prime example for good english writing, but I don't think anybody has a problem to understand what I am typing.

And yes, that's basically my point, so if you defend it just because it gives those who txttlk the freedom to txttalk then you are being stupid in my book. Is it really asking for too much to write in a way so at least 95% can understand you without any hassle?
  • Options
    z0ma wrote: »
    First 9/11; then Haiti, and now this.

ahahahahaha. yeah someone nominate this plzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    I think Jim's already done it :)
  • Options
    I speak four languages and speak another six to a varying level of competency, from a few words and choice phrases (Dutch, Hungarian, Turkish) to being able to get by (Italian, Portugese, German).

your modesty will one day get you laid sir.
  • Options
    I refer you to my recent posts in the Sex forum. And also to the extended middle finger of my left hand.
  • Options
    think i will have to decline!
  • Options
    Don't flatter yourself love. It's not becoming.
  • Options
    :lol: you seriously do just get worse and worse dont you?

c'mon for the icing on the cake call me hun
  • Options
    *passes out the handbags*

Now now, children, no need for that :p.

Incidentally, in regards to the original post, idc, if I was single...
  • Options
    what, if you were single?
  • Options
    what, if you were single?
    If I was single, I would.

Just sayin', like.

I'm not referring to the OP of the thread, btw, but your post about how he might get....

nevermind.
  • Options
    franki that's disgusting!
  • Options
    ...why?
  • Options
    never mind! :p
  • Options
    I'm confuuuuuuused :(.

Btw Rach, I think I might have to get you two in the same room together just to prove that neither of you are as bad as the other thinks :p.
  • Options
    yeah.... we have very different tastes! ;)
  • Options
    I honestly think you would get on quite well, as long as you let your PREJUDICES go ;).
  • Options
    I somehow doubt the room could accommodate both our egos simultaneously.

And Franki, that is gross. I'm telling Rich.
  • Options
    I somehow doubt the room could accommodate both our egos simultaneously.

And Franki, that is gross. I'm telling Rich.
    Go ahead, he already knows :p.
  • Options
    The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be ekspekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"s in the language is disgraseful, and they should go away.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru! And zen world!

:)

Just want to say: LOL!!!

Um, I have little to say except that text talk infuriates me.
  • Options
    hollyboo19 wrote: »
    hey the fellowing is not an insult by the way to old ppl.
    hey if u all actually bothered learning txt tlk i bet all of yer wud be using but i guess u cbb learning it cuz u av other things 2 du lke watch tele (tv) or play or mke out with der husband or wife i guess the reason behind dis is ur either getting old or ur a really brin prson

Love it. I'd like to be old and boring please.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Ellway ankthay oodnessgay orfay ethay enselesssay estrictionsray onway akingmay ensesay eingbay emovedray.

Thanks for that. Haven't seen "piglatin" for years! :lol: Soooo much easier to understand than txttlk.

BTW what does cbb mean? In some places it looks as if it might be "can't be bothered" but how can you be "doing" cbb? I'm too old for all this ...
  • Options
    yeah.... we have very different tastes! ;)

even in cool message board posters?
  • Options
    z0ma wrote: »
    First 9/11; then Haiti, and now this.

It doesn't end there either.

They have decided to allow proper nouns in Scrabble.

I just don't recognise the world :(
This discussion has been closed.