Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Text talk - TheSite.org's stance

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
A thread in relationships reminded me that there are still some really out-dated and harsh views on text talk that are no longer welcome on TheSite.org.

After a big debate at TheSite.org towers, the Good Manners Guide now states:
For some people it's the most natural way to type, while others get annoyed by it. Whether you like 2 tlk lyk this or write your words out in full, here's a quick guide for text talk on TheSite.org.

1. Do type in the way that feels most comfortable and natural to you.

2. Do offer to decipher other people's posts if someone says they can't understand them.

3. Don't diss someone for typing in a way that doesn't seem right to you. If you genuniely can't read a post or thread, then politely ask the person to summarise what they've said in full.

Now we're happy for people to discuss the matter here, but please remember the above conclusion is part of TheSite.org's fabric and suggesting that someone is 'illiterate' or 'stupid' because they use text talk just isn't a reflection of the real world anymore.

Thanks for reading. :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmm... given the demographic thesite is aimed at I'm not surprised by this new stance, and also the purpose of thesite is that everyone can have a voice here. But I think it's a shame that thesite will no longer be a definite text talk free zone.
  • Options
    I can see the reasoning behind it. But I think it's probably worth mentioning to people that they are likely to get more replies if they use proper English. Since all the posters here who aren't mods are basically giving advice in their free time, I definitely wouldn't bother if it took me a ridiculous amount of energy to decipher the text speak, and would just move on to read another thread.

Incidentally, I don't agree with your claim that it 'isn't true any more' that using text speak is stupid or illiterate, but that's neither here nor there. The point is, even if someone is stupid or illiterate, they are still entitled to help and advice here, right?
  • Options
    But I think it's a shame that thesite will no longer be a definite text talk free zone.

Me too. It's harder for me to read because of my visual difficulties - reading is hard enough already. I sometimes use talking software - using text speak means that the words don't get pronnounced properly. (words like "u" do; but "ur", sounds more like "er")
  • Options
    That policy has been in place a while, but no matter what the thesite policy is, it still boils down to if you can't be bothered to make yourself understood, nobody's going to be bothered to try to understand you.
  • Options
    kl

kl wer loud 2 use txt spek rite yes/
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    That policy has been in place a while, but no matter what the thesite policy is, it still boils down to if you can't be bothered to make yourself understood, nobody's going to be bothered to try to understand you.

But there is a difference between someone writing in text talk and only getting a few replies... and someone writing in text talk and pretty much getting insulted for it.
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    I can see the reasoning behind it. But I think it's probably worth mentioning to people that they are likely to get more replies if they use proper English. Since all the posters here who aren't mods are basically giving advice in their free time, I definitely wouldn't bother if it took me a ridiculous amount of energy to decipher the text speak, and would just move on to read another thread.

:yes: Doesn't affect me and I know this is a UK site; but I imagine it's very hard for people whose first language isn't English, to read and understand. It also makes searching harder.
  • Options
    *humps helen and the rest of thesite staff*

I agree with you guys 100%.
  • Options
    hollyboo19 wrote: »
    nothing stopping you writing in text talk but people get really annoyed at having to read it and so won't bother, and you might not get as good a response as you would do if you used actual words.
  • Options

if u lyk ;P
  • Options
    Oh

Oh it was my thread I has started in the relationships coloum called omfg. Oh so thats what all this brought on. And I don't really care if I don't get no replies. I will commit suicide soon so I wont be using text talk.
    But look my first launguage was Bengali then French then Pakistani and then English and I'm using text talk easily.
  • Options
    Don't commit suicide :x

Anyone who can speak four languages is impressive in my books anyway.

I think the point helen was making was to remind everyone on the boards that people can post how they like and shouldn't be ridiculed or teased or patronised if they don't live up to other people's standards, which it appears from my very brief perusal, you were.

Stay around though :) this place can be like an old sofa, a bit uncomfortable and dank at first but once you settle in its so comfy you find you can't move!
  • Options
    sometimes it's difficult to accept how much the focus of the boards has changed (or seems to have changed) from 2002
  • Options
    But look my first launguage was Bengali then French then Pakistani and then English and I'm using text talk easily.

:yes: I was looking for an example to challenge Melian's post, but this is it. Shyboy, thanks for your accurate interpretation too.

hollyboo, if you want to talk about suicidal thoughts then please do go ahead and post a thread in the health forum. :)
  • Options
    No way.

Yeah but I would never start a thread with suicidal thoughts people would just think I'm plain wierd.
    slang version
    yeh bu i wud nver strt a thred wid suicidal thouughts ppl wud think im a freak

which 1's easier 2 understand
    which one is easier to understand.
  • Options
    But there is a difference between someone writing in text talk and only getting a few replies... and someone writing in text talk and pretty much getting insulted for it.

I didn't say they necessarily only get a few replies, merely that people would be less likely to try to understand before replying - so it's likely to reduce both the quality and quantity of responses.

But that said, the anti-txt ranting that took place in the OMFG thread was entirely out of place, and I was entirely appalled by it - even though I have no sympathy whatsoever for the poster's situation - largely due to the posters self centred writing style
  • Options
    Holly, people won't judge you - noone here will think you're a freak.
  • Options
    sometimes it's difficult to accept how much the focus of the boards has changed (or seems to have changed) from 2002

Interesting. For those of us who haven't been around here long, in what way has it changed?
  • Options
    Yeah but I would never start a thread with suicidal thoughts people would just think I'm plain wierd.

Really they wouldn't, if you do a search for suicide in the health forum then you'll see it's exactly the kind of issue people come to somewhere like TheSite.org for support with.
  • Options
    slang version

The non text speak one is easiest to understand :)
    Nobody will think you are freak if you start a thread about suicidal thoughts, don't worry x
  • Options
    slang version

The first one.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    The first one.

Seconded.

I personally would just move on from a thread with text talk, i found it easy to decipher when i was about 13 but now it just confuses me!
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    Interesting. For those of us who haven't been around here long, in what way has it changed?
    It might also be my perception of thesite (boards, just the boards) that has changed since 2002 because I was fifteen when I signed up and I'm now almost 24. The focus seems to be so much more on mental health than it used to be, and it is being used for what it is meant to - ie, people just post a handful of times with their issue, people respond and then that's it.

There is still a lot of what there used to be, banter, debating, gossiping etc but I often do forget that it's not "just a message board" but it's a charity run facility with a specific focus aimed at a demographic that I'm not really in anymore. I have just been posting here for SO long and a lot has happened since I was 15 that I feel like I use thesite for something that isn't it's primary purpose.

ach I'm just waffling on now!

nb none of that is bad, by the way, I think that thesite is great and it's really good that it's doing so well and it's clearly helping a lot of people. I often feel like I don't really fit anymore but because I've been here for so long I don't want to leave.
  • Options

nb none of that is bad, by the way, I think that thesite is great and it's really good that it's doing so well and it's clearly helping a lot of people. I often feel like I don't really fit anymore but because I've been here for so long I don't want to leave.

:heart:
  • Options
    Exactly

Hi exactly I probaberbly wouldn't even get that many responses because I might use text talk but I didn't no about text talk I cba (cant be asked) learning it but I picked up on it on the 3rd year I had lived in the UK because I write it down and studied on it I even asked ppl (people) to teach me it I'm actually 11 not 12 my carer got my birth certificate wrong. but if a 11 year old noes txt tlk I'm sure other older people should to dnt u (dont you). c txt tlk is simple if u practice it.

And I am not going to start the thread on my suicidal feeling can't someone else start one for me.
  • Options
    And I am not going to start the thread on my suicidal feeling can't someone else start one for me.

we cannot start a thread for you as we do not know whats going on and as most suicidal threads have reasons or something that the person writing it wants help with it would be quite impossible to write one.

Plus, yes most people do know how to read text talk but its just WAY easier to read propper english language as many people have said. x
  • Options
    but if a 11 year old noes txt tlk I'm sure other older people should to dnt u (dont you). c txt tlk is simple if u practice it.

it's not that simple:
    Many people for whatever reason, struggle enough with reading and the English language.

I can read some text speak; but find a lot of it hard to understand. I refuse to attempt to learn it or try to decipher someone's post.

Plus, it does make someone look illiterate - probably harsh; but true.
  • Options
    i think it's safe to say the majority of people on here dont use text speak anyway. those that do hang around usually see that you get far more replies and are able to interact a lot more easily when just typing in full. no big changes really :) just be nicer to the newish folk i think..
  • Options
    It's not a case of not being able to learn to use text talk, or even reading it - no, it's not REALLY HARD to read or anything.
    To me, using text talk makes one look childish, lazy, and an inability to use the appropriate form of language for a given situation. It's text talk. Use it in a text message, or even facebook if you must. But on a forum where there is no character limit? (2000 anyway) there is no point.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, and I'm not trying to insult people or anything like that, but that's why I don't like using, or reading text talk. The responses in that thread were nasty and out of order, but if we're discussing text talk here, that's my opinion of it. It doesn't mean that someone IS lazy and childish for using it, that's just how it makes me think of them.

Bad spelling or grammar, that's fine, not a problem. Not everyone is good at English. But text talk is just annoying and lazy.

But it's not my forum, and if people are going to be put off from posting because they are not allowed to use text talk, then fine, allow text talk.
  • Options
    I agree, KHSS.
This discussion has been closed.