Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Text talk - TheSite.org's stance

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fuck a fly no you don't :p
    Xx

Seriously... the hyjacking and fly fucking is hurting my head.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Seriously... the hyjacking and fly fucking is hurting my head.

Fuck a fly is one of my sayings :p
    Xx
  • Options

It doesn't make me change my opinion about people who use text talk though, and I think it's a shame that it's being allowed, because it is so crap. By condoning it here it is hardly encouraging people to use standard English (or even just NORMAL(!) English) in other aspects of life, where text talk is not appropriate and you will need to use standard English. Just best to get into the habit of using standard English early on etc.

:yes:

I used to use text talk when I was about 12/13. At that time I never really knew how annoying it was for other people, to me, it just seemed quicker to use as I was used to typing like that.
    I just remember an essay I did in english, I slipped in some text talk and I got given my essay back and got told to write all my words out in full. After that I started to type everything in full.
    So if you got used to using text talk, then you can get used to typing words out in full.
  • Options
    Xx

I'd like to see that :)
  • Options
    I'd like to see that :)

What... fucking a fly? No way :p
    Xx
  • Options
    What bothers me is not the people who type in text talk (who generally make me just sigh deeply), but the people who take it way too seriously.

I find the majority of text talk is just using "u" instead of you and dropping capital letters. It really does depend on the context.

I do know of organisations where text talk and non proper communication is permitted internally. As long as you know when to use proper english then it can be let slide at other times.

As one of the mods said a while ago, you should judge by outputs not by the way in which its done. If someone could do their job perfectly fine and did it well, for example a warehouse worker, but spoke in horrific slang that you didn't like - would you sack them for their failure to use perfect english?

Anyway, didn't really want to turn this into a wallpost, but I do agree with MoK, there are far far far more important issues than the quality of someones english either through laziness, ignorance, inability or just bad style.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Stay around though :) this place can be like an old sofa, a bit uncomfortable and dank at first but once you settle in its so comfy you find you can't move!

awesome description!
    Kaff wrote: »
    I would have to agree that I see why it's allowed, but I think it's a shame.

If it means that people whose primary language is text get help when they really need it, then that's a good thing, but to be honest I won't be one of the people who helps them, because I'd rather spend the time I have replying to posts that you don't need to be some sort of military level codebreaker to figure out.

agreed. I think people should be allowed to spell/speak how they want, as long as they understand they may get less replies as well as a few comments asking them to speak properly.

It reminds me of the issues we all had with colours and font sizes!
  • Options
    Xx

its OUR saying!!
  • Options
    MeganM wrote: »
    its OUR saying!!

Pah, there is no our in Niamh :lol: Not even any letters.
    Xx
  • Options
    I....don't know.

I can't agree with being 'allowed' to use text talk on the forums, I'm afraid, because even though I see why it is being done, I think it will absolutely detract from the point of the forum because people are less likely to read and respond to a message if they can't understand it. My stance on it is - if you can't be bothered to type it out fully then why should I be bothered to decipher something when at the end of the day I am the one who would be doing you a favour? Why should I go out of my way to help you when you can't even be arsed to write in English?

It might just be the literature student in me but text talk makes me cringe. Even when Rich says 'txt' I just think...how much longer would it have taken you to type that 'e'? It does make you look lazy and it does make you look a bit stupid and while I don't necessarily agree with how harsh everyone was on the original thread, I kind of see where they were coming from. There's no need to use perfect grammar and punctuation and whatever, but at the same time, if I can't understand it, I'm not going to read it and so any advice I would have given stays in my head where it is not useful.

*shrug*.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I....don't know.

I can't agree with being 'allowed' to use text talk on the forums, I'm afraid, because even though I see why it is being done, I think it will absolutely detract from the point of the forum because people are less likely to read and respond to a message if they can't understand it. My stance on it is - if you can't be bothered to type it out fully then why should I be bothered to decipher something when at the end of the day I am the one who would be doing you a favour? Why should I go out of my way to help you when you can't even be arsed to write in English?

It might just be the literature student in me but text talk makes me cringe. Even when Rich says 'txt' I just think...how much longer would it have taken you to type that 'e'? It does make you look lazy and it does make you look a bit stupid and while I don't necessarily agree with how harsh everyone was on the original thread, I kind of see where they were coming from. There's no need to use perfect grammar and punctuation and whatever, but at the same time, if I can't understand it, I'm not going to read it and so any advice I would have given stays in my head where it is not useful.

*shrug*.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: It's not the literature student I don't think, or just that because I agree completely but hate literature/studying english etc but omg.. yes yes yes on so many levels..
  • Options
    It might just be the literature student in me but text talk makes me cringe.

Me too. My parents write in text speak and it's annoying. I hate English and I am rather poor at it; but it does make me cringe.
    There's no need to use perfect grammar and punctuation and whatever, but at the same time, if I can't understand it, I'm not going to read it and so any advice I would have given stays in my head where it is not useful.

*shrug*.

:yes: If someone does make a typo or can't spell a word properly but I can understand it; I will still reply. On another forum I post on, there's someone who writes "am have" - I have always taken this to be "I have" - because I know that's what they mean.
  • Options
    All the literature hate! :crying:
  • Options

oh but I love reading :( if that counts.
  • Options
    oh but I love reading :( if that counts.
    Of course it counts!

Literature isn't just about writing essays about books, it's about reading them as well :p.
  • Options

In my defence (if such a thing exists?) it's because reading is rather difficult for me.
  • Options
    Of course it counts!

Literature isn't just about writing essays about books, it's about reading them as well :p.

oh I read all the time :) I LOVE reading..
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    In my defence (if such a thing exists?) it's because reading is rather difficult for me.
    Well, that's true. You are forgiven ;).
  • Options
    Ok.

Hi. Who started this stupid thread. Who ever did must really hate me, well if I only get a little bit of replies, or even non I couldn't care less. I know most of use auready hate me, like really really hate me, I am very sorry for using "txt tlk". As I can see this is all really my fault, and it had started when I had joined so I do apologise, and have many other times in other threads, that I have started. As most of the threads I have started are arguements about my writing structure, and grammer, I have decided not to start new threads on the boards. As all of you are against me I have there decided to run away from home and as far away from this site as possible, but I wont be running away alone I will be doing it with my twin sister, she is great at running away. And you don't have to worry about any more text talk now. I am prepareing the essentials for running away I am packed and will do it 3 o'clock tomorrow morning.
    While I am gone feel free to say how shit I've been when I had started this site (last day of march 2010) and feel free to write comments, while I am away.
    Thank You for your time good night.
  • Options
    Superb flounce there.

But no, this isn't all about you, the policy was changed a while back, and these are the views of people here. Yes, the issue came up now because of people inappropriate responses to your threads, but really you are irrelevant to this thread
  • Options
    Ok Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    hollyboo19 wrote: »
    kl wer loud 2 use txt spek rite yes/

please decipher for me.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    please decipher for me.

we're allowed to use text speak yes?
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    please decipher for me.

Cool we're allowed to use text speak right yes?
  • Options
    Ok here is my arguement, the rules state that this is an english board and to post in english, there is NO WAY text talk can be classified as english. so surely your two rules contradict each other?
  • Options
    Ok here is my arguement, the rules state that this is an english board and to post in english, there is NO WAY text talk can be classified as english. so surely your two rules contradict each other?

Good point.
  • Options
    I guess I'm getting old. I just completely skip the threads where i find the slang and shortening of words to be too harsh, making it more difficult and time-consuming to read. I've always tended to find that such "talk" is rampant with a lack of puncuation, and quite often leads to very large paragraphs that just add to the time to decipher. I can't really agree with it becoming a standard way of communication on here - there are good reasons why documentation, warning notices, and published text is written using full and complete words - even when the spelling is poor, it's generally easy to understand the context and message behind what is there.

But like I say, I'm getting old now... :)
  • Options
    I guess I'm getting old. I just completely skip the threads where i find the slang and shortening of words to be too harsh, making it more difficult and time-consuming to read. I've always tended to find that such "talk" is rampant with a lack of puncuation, and quite often leads to very large paragraphs that just add to the time to decipher. I can't really agree with it becoming a standard way of communication on here - there are good reasons why documentation, warning notices, and published text is written using full and complete words - even when the spelling is poor, it's generally easy to understand the context and message behind what is there.

But like I say, I'm getting old now... :)

This. This must mean I'm getting old too.:(
  • Options
    btw.
    **helen** wrote: »
    [...] and suggesting that someone is 'illiterate' or 'stupid' because they use text talk just isn't a reflection of the real world anymore.

This might be a matter one can debate about, but looking back on people who used to post in text talk on this forum there is an uncanny connection between text talk usage and illiterateness and - because I can't think up another noun right now - primitivism.

btw
    @melian and hellfire. I don't understand your responses (maybe because I haven't read anything because of the OP), but this sounds to me that text talk will be completely legal and accepted, one has to politely ask now to have it translated if one doesn't understand.

Oh god, this better be a joke... HAHA oh god it's april... oh already the fifth, so that's not it either.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    This. This must mean I'm getting old too.:(

Maybe it's just time for us to retire... We're obviously out-of-touch with the demographic this board is aimed at. :)
This discussion has been closed.