Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Text talk - TheSite.org's stance

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    please do holly, i think it will be quite fun
  • Options
    ok

Ok first Quiz will be in the entertainment section I will do 1 every week :D it will be very fun but i will stick 2 der easy stuf
  • Options
    haha, when you going to do it? now?? x :heart: PLUS i'd do it in the waste time section
  • Options
    ok i will put it there 2morrow
  • Options
    Personally, I am very sorry to see 'text talk' allowed on TheSite. I understand it's use for phone texting purposes - but as there is no real character limit on here, what is the need?

While I agree that this should not descend into calling new members names for using it initially, I think that the mods should instruct transgressors to use English in the traditional sense as well as admonish those that insult the new 'text talker'.

Why should I have to decipher someone elses 'text talk' for people or, for that matter, them for me?

It is a lazy way of writing, requires some unneccessary deciphering which in itself is time consuming and, coupled with bad grammar, can be a nightmare to read anyway. At least bad grammar written in the traditional sense can be better understood.

I think allowing 'text talk' will inhibit the good, thoughtful debate that goes on here and will affect the dynamics of the boards. It is the skill and style of writing of many people on here that keeps me coming back.

Oh well, lets see how this goes ...
  • Options
    hollyboo19 wrote: »
    Hey, I may be underaged, But I'm still a little angel. And non of this was my fault. :)
    Reading your post exspecially as you can tell it's about me sometimes using holly as a name or another underaged person to underaged. But I have the right to do, and write in a style I like. I have an idea I will do a quiz made fully of "txttlk" and see who can solve the puzzle they will be random issues.

Well, maybe it's not the text talk after all. I can't even make sense of your 'proper' english.
  • Options
    I really don't understand people's reactions to this :chin:

Surely this rule is just in place to stop people getting abuse from others for posting in a certain way? In which case - how is it a bad thing....

In a couple of weeks this will have all been forgotten, until someone new comes along again and decides to post in text talk. And then this time.... they won't be insulted for it. And after what happened before, this is a definite improvement. And anyway, after that person sees that most people write things out fully, the user may well change their posting habits... and even if they don't, who cares. Don't like it - don't read it - don't reply to it.
  • Options
    I really don't understand people's reactions to this :chin:

Surely this rule is just in place to stop people getting abuse from others for posting in a certain way? In which case - how is it a bad thing....

Totally.

Personally I don't like typing in text talk, and it's obvious that most members of thesite don't either. Well that's very nice, no one is stopping us continuing to communicate like this.
    Some people may wish to type in text talk... so yeah, it may bug you a little bit. Get over it.
    Honestly, I fail to see why people are making such a big deal over this? For fucks sake. lol
  • Options
    text talk should be left to what it was invented for, text messages, even then I don't like it that much. If I see a post in mainly in text speak I won't even bother reading it because I can't understand it and I have better and more important things to do in my life then try to work it out, if its the odd word thats easy to understand ( u,y,2) then ok I'll deal with it, but I really don't understand why a forum has to lower itself to such standards, I am on other forums which are for similar issues and they ban text speak and if you use it you can get a warning, because it is just so hard to understand.
  • Options
    Would it be fairer to say that it's fine to use text talk if you need help or something like that, but to participate fully in the rest of the boards then it is polite and appropriate to use a more standard form of English as much as you are able?
  • Options
    If it pisses you off that much, and you find it hard to understand - don't read/reply to the thread. Simple as that.

People will soon see that they'll get more replies if they don't use text talk, because that's what the majority of thesite posters prefer. It doesn't mean however, that they should be bullied and humiliated because of it.
  • Options
    oh my whole arguement was based on a missunderstanding I had, as I originally thought posts in a foreign language was not allowed but they were now allowing text talk, since foreign or other languages are allowed i am more than happy to see people post in text talk, just so as long I can reply in a language of my choice?
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    If it pisses you off that much, and you find it hard to understand - don't read/reply to the thread. Simple as that.

People will soon see that they'll get more replies if they don't use text talk, because that's what the majority of thesite posters prefer. It doesn't mean however, that they should be bullied and humiliated because of it.
    was that aimed at me? Because I agree with you
  • Options
    was that aimed at me? Because I agree with you

No, no, no. It wasn't aimed at you, it just happened to come up straight after your post - bad timing!

I'm just generally ranting because it's something that's got on my tits for some time. Even though I don't use text talk myself, I think there's far too much 'self-righteous elitism' on this site sometimes.
  • Options
    :) just checking
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »

I'm guessing thats aimed at me and as you will see in my post I said I won't bother reading/replying to a thread/post.

I'm not bullying or humiliating anyone I just said what I feel and I am certainly not being a self righteous elitist, if that was also aimed at me too.
  • Options
    I've never once seen a post in a foreign language on thesite
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    oh my whole arguement was based on a missunderstanding I had, as I originally thought posts in a foreign language was not allowed but they were now allowing text talk, since foreign or other languages are allowed i am more than happy to see people post in text talk, just so as long I can reply in a language of my choice?

you're trolling right?
  • Options
    hey the fellowing is not an insult by the way to old ppl.
    hey if u all actually bothered learning txt tlk i bet all of yer wud be using but i guess u cbb learning it cuz u av other things 2 du lke watch tele (tv) or play or mke out with der husband or wife i guess the reason behind dis is ur either getting old or ur a really brin prson

hw cn u nt understand my english to so wa launguage am i supposed 2 rite in if u cnt understand slang or my english maybe cuz i dnt study english bu i try me bst wid it.
  • Options
    frenchhorn wrote: »
    I'm guessing thats aimed at me and as you will see in my post I said I won't bother reading/replying to a thread/post.

I'm not bullying or humiliating anyone I just said what I feel and I am certainly not being a self righteous elitist, if that was also aimed at me too.

No it wasn't really aimed at you either. It was in reply to your post, but it was more of a general rant about the way things are here sometimes, not about you in particular. Sorry if that's how it came across.
  • Options
    hey if u all actually bothered learning txt tlk i bet all of yer wud be using but i guess u cbb learning it cuz u av other things 2 du lke watch tele (tv) or play or mke out with der husband or wife i guess the reason behind dis is ur either getting old or ur a really brin prson

hw cn u nt understand my english to so wa launguage am i supposed 2 rite in if u cnt understand slang or my english maybe cuz i dnt study english bu i try me bst wid it.
    It makes me laugh that you think that
  • Options
    The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be ekspekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"s in the language is disgraseful, and they should go away.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru! And zen world!

:)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    you're trolling right?

no, I miss understood something, god knows why I thought it from years back.
  • Options
    First 9/11; then Haiti, and now this.
  • Options
    It makes me laugh that you think that
    Me too.

Apparently I have magically unlearned text speak in the last 6 years. Poor me :(.
  • Options
    z0ma wrote: »
    First 9/11; then Haiti, and now this.

lol - I may have a POTW nom there ;)
  • Options

If English isn't your first language, how is it possible that you learned to write in text speak rather than regular English, surely school taught you about vowels? I'm not getting at you, and I'm not trying to stop you text talking on here, so please don't construe it like that.

I'm not married and I don't watch TV, so I guess I should learn to text talk properly if I don't want to be classed as a boring person, huh?
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    If English isn't your first language, how is it possible that you learned to write in text speak rather than regular English, surely school taught you about vowels? I'm not getting at you, and I'm not trying to stop you text talking on here, so please don't construe it like that.

I'm not married and I don't watch TV, so I guess I should learn to text talk properly if I don't want to be classed as a boring person, huh?

This is my BIGGEST point as people have told me time and time again, people text talk because they cannot read/write correctly but then how can one learn to text talk in english without first learning the english language itself.

I must state I am sure she could text talk in her native language or another.
  • Options
    I can text talk in Spanish, but only because I speak Spanish. If someone wrote a textspeak message to me in German, say, I'd be flummoxed, because I cannot read or write any German, despite speaking a little.
    And how does 'brin' sound like boring at all, if you say it out loud? It sounds like bring, but without the g. Plus, despite her saying her school is Arabic, and therefore doesn't do English, Hollyboo's English is fine. :)
  • Options
    Ellway ankthay oodnessgay orfay ethay enselesssay estrictionsray onway akingmay ensesay eingbay emovedray.
This discussion has been closed.