Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gordon rekons imigrants were a help

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Simon ...you need to up your skills and knowledge base to compete.

4 years offset printing experience

very good knowledge of electronics and maybe someday the local college will remember they were supposes to arrange for me to speak to an assesor to look at my qualifications and suggest further action I've contacted them twice and been ignored

good with computers lets say very computer literate,

good with mechanics reconditionted 2 small engines

fully fluent in italian

I can even prune trees, no not trim (wreck) but prune proporley most trees I've seen in this country have been asaulted not pruned

a very capable photographer (I hope)

an appitude to learn

and I'm very sorry I don't have a bloody certificate to say I can do all those things I can't help getting on with things and learning what it takes to do what I want or what is wanted of me !:D
  • Options
    at 25 I'm not eligeble for help in getting qualifications and if you don't mind I have to work to get money to run my home first then get told sorry but the courses are run 1 day a week and one evening..... so how do I make ends meet ? I can either work nights or days (won't do nights anyway) who the hec devised that system ? somebody that lazed at home all day and the night too ?
  • Options
    I'm 25 and have to work to keep my home and am still managing to further my education, which I'm paying for. I'm even collecting a few certificates on the way as I do it, what's your problem?
  • Options
    If you do an apprenticeship you don't have to pay for the course. However, the minimum wage doesn't apply. And what's wrong with working nights?
  • Options
    He won't do them but the immigrants who will work nights will probably get accused of stealing someone's job, can't win.
  • Options
    It seems that Simon wants it all his way and won't think about doing something that might be outside of that.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I'm 25 and have to work to keep my home and am still managing to further my education, which I'm paying for. I'm even collecting a few certificates on the way as I do it, what's your problem?

He's saying even though he has experience, he hasn't managed to grab a job, and others are saying he should get a qualification in order to secure a job, which he can't because he doesn't have a job.

Once you're working it's pretty easy to move from job to job or study in your sparetime, when you're on jobseekers it's pretty tricky to break in the job market, especially the longer you're on it. And I don't think most people would choose to work nights if they had the choice. It's easy enough to say to someone else that they're too picky if they don't want to work nights but it is a lot more difficult.

I feel sympathetic with simon and understand where he's coming from - where I live has seen an increase in economic immigration (though that's supposedly reversing now) and an increase in the unemployment rate as a result. There is more investment in Leicester but it takes time to filter through and in the interim I've known many who've struggled. I would estimate based on everyone I know that it takes 2-3 months to get into work on average here. I'm sure in London you can hop into a pizza shop job straight away (as you can in any place with money from abroad coming in), but if you look at Leicester with a massive migrant population the effect is reversed. Companies invest in Leicester, set up shops, but a lot of that money is leaving Leicester as British residents take holidays but less people visit Leicester. This is compounded by the phenomenon of migrant workers not spending in the local economy.

I'm not saying it's all doom or gloom, the reality is it will take time for things to settle down. But in many areas of the country just like Leicester the 'economic openess' has led to wealth flowing out of the area, rather than wealth being created. The result is a decrease in real incomes, an increase in unemployment etc. - this will mean that migrant workers will leave until a 'balance' is found. Investment will continue to occur but the opening of borders has caused a temporary imbalance of labour supply to labour demand (new jobs).

This is what I was harping on about earlier - we need to be gentle with economic changes, but as Skive says our government has been too open, wanting to make progress too quickly and it has backfired.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I sued to work with lithuanians at a steel fabricators when I was a steel engineer. They were all welders and used to earn an average wage. They used to live in shite workign conditions though and send all their money home. Fair play to them I've always thought.

Family minded and very hard workers. They only expect what they work for. That's why people in thios country are losing out, people expect morfe for doing less.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    He's saying even though he has experience, he hasn't managed to grab a job, and others are saying he should get a qualification in order to secure a job, which he can't because he doesn't have a job.

Once you're working it's pretty easy to move from job to job or study in your sparetime, when you're on jobseekers it's pretty tricky to break in the job market, especially the longer you're on it. And I don't think most people would choose to work nights if they had the choice. It's easy enough to say to someone else that they're too picky if they don't want to work nights but it is a lot more difficult.

I agree, it's quite hard to come off benefits, I think Simon has a job though dude. IIRC correctly, he also thinks people on benefits should be forced to take the first job available, and I'm guessing that means no option to duck out of working nights. I don't mean to make all my responses a personal attack on simon/ his views so might as well duck out here.

I haven't noticed any positive or negative impact of immigration recently, I've only over heard one couple speaking an eastern european language locally so, perhaps it just hasn't spread here yet.
  • Options
    Manchester ...home of the industrial revolution ...worlds biggest textile industry came about ...cos flemish weavers arrived. If these imigrants hadn't arrived ...we can only imagine how differntly British power and wealth might have panned out ...just one little example.
  • Options
    at 25 I'm not eligeble for help in getting qualifications and if you don't mind I have to work to get money to run my home first then get told sorry but the courses are run 1 day a week and one evening..... so how do I make ends meet ? I can either work nights or days (won't do nights anyway) who the hec devised that system ? somebody that lazed at home all day and the night too ?

Well I left full time employment a few years ago to return to full time study, first an access course (http://www.aimhigher.ac.uk/courses/getting_back_into_education/access_courses.cfm) then a degree which I finished last year. Easy? No it involves hard work, motivation and self-sacrifice. I had days when I would leave home in the morning for college/uni study all day then go to work in the evenings in a call centre, often I would leave work around ten, come home fire up the pc and write essays until 2am.

My income while a student was probably a half of what it was while in full time employmentand as result I don't own an ipod, games console, digital camera, car etc at the moment but I do have a degree which cannot be lost, stolen or broken.

The fact is if you want it enough in this country you can achieve a great deal more than a lot of other places. This is what immigrants and their descendants like me know. Life doesn't dish up opportunities on a plate for most people, you have to graft. End of.

So there's little opportunity where you are, well move then, the immigrants are prepared to follow the jobs, good for them. My parents travelled across the Atlantic, I'm sure it wouldn't kill you to migrate within you're own country.

Far too many people in this country complaining that immigrants can do this and that but not are not prepared to put in the same efforts as they are to achieve success.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Family minded and very hard workers. They only expect what they work for. That's why people in thios country are losing out, people expect morfe for doing less.

Agreed. Nearly everyone my dad works with is an imigrant (mainly Polish) and his family imigrated over here during the 1950s from Malta.
    he also thinks people on benefits should be forced to take the first job available

Aren't they meant to do this anyway?:confused:
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Far too many people in this country complaining that immigrants can do this and that but not are not prepared to put in the same efforts as they are to achieve success.

And with that you've hit the nail square on the head.

Peiople complain about immigrants "stealing" all the jobs without stopping to wonder why. It's mostly because migrant workers are prepared to put an honest shift in without complaint. Immigration does drive down the price of labour at the bottom of the market, but at the same time it drives quality up. Choosing immigrant workers is a no-brainer.

There is still a glass ceiling in this country for a lot of people, but if you work hard you will get your rewards. Even if you're in a bad job it doesn't mean you have to do it badly. I've been in some awful jobs but I've worked hard and I'm starting to reap the rewards in my work now.
  • Options
    I think it's still a point in many areas there has been a saturation of labour without the increase in jobs. As I said, many of my friends have been looking for work and looked for work, some were long term unemployed - my mum has been actively looking for about 2 months now, brother about the same, my other brother took 2-3 months to find his job, sister got an apprenticeship with the help of social workers, I took 2 months to find a job, but some friends waited much longer than that - me and my brothers are (relatively) employable with relevant experience and good formal education, my mum is looking for work in childcare where she has a lot of experience, but the fact is there are just so many people in Leicester. I went to a jobs fair not long ago and it was packed, yet there was about 12 stands only (this was run by the big leicester newspaper, the mercury, and was in the football stadium so they were aiming for a big affair) - out of those 12, one was army, one was police (they're always at every careers fair), 2 were agencies, 5 or so were the council not with jobs but offering training and skills, and the few others were for actual jobs.

I don't think it's a case of stealing jobs, I don't mind migration and I have no bias for or against nationality or ethnic background or whatever. But economically, things moved too fast. It will balance out - many migrant workers are now leaving the UK - but in the short term at least locally there is plenty of unemployment.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    If you do an apprenticeship you don't have to pay for the course. However, the minimum wage doesn't apply. And what's wrong with working nights?

ok so where do I find an apprenticeship ? haven't found any in the job centre even tried a so called dedicated web site,
  • Options
    He won't do them but the immigrants who will work nights will probably get accused of stealing someone's job, can't win.

now your putting words in my mouth
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    It seems that Simon wants it all his way and won't think about doing something that might be outside of that.

like ? I've been going for every job available that I'm "qualified" to do are you currently looking for work ? do you know what the situation is like ?

oh and its very funny to walk into an agency full of polish staff and get registered by somebody stuttering over english
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

yes and I have the same attitude but it seems that immigrants are prefered, I'm asked for references uh sorry but I haven't got much to show I have to start from somewhere its a catch 22 how do I get a reference if I work for and agency and get potentially a different job a day, then another agency want checkable references so I'm in a situation where one agency is going to be asking another for references, but as far as an agency is concerned I'm a work unit and they probably only ever met me once when I registered
  • Options
    I agree, it's quite hard to come off benefits, I think Simon has a job though dude. IIRC correctly, he also thinks people on benefits should be forced to take the first job available, and I'm guessing that means no option to duck out of working nights. I don't mean to make all my responses a personal attack on simon/ his views so might as well duck out here.

I'm not talking nights thats a seperate issue if you want it take it at the moment they always ask: you real sure you can handle night ? and I honestly answer no I'd rather not waste both of our time, I'll work any other shifts just not nights and if you don't know why well go get educated

if your qualified for a job and your on benefits and your offered the job you should take it. its a pity there are no apprentices I'd be in my element as an electricians mate or similar profession I'm quite versatile not that people seem to care
  • Options
    All this stuff about people sitting on their arses claiming benefits ...if your finding it difficult to get work then surely you don't want the benefit crowd to be forced to get work as well?
    If someones happy getting fifty quid a week and their rent paid ...then be happy for them and for the service they are providing ...leaving jobs open for those who want them.
  • Options
    Well I left full time employment a few years ago to return to full time study, first an access course (http://www.aimhigher.ac.uk/courses/getting_back_into_education/access_courses.cfm) then a degree which I finished last year. Easy? No it involves hard work, motivation and self-sacrifice. I had days when I would leave home in the morning for college/uni study all day then go to work in the evenings in a call centre, often I would leave work around ten, come home fire up the pc and write essays until 2am.

My income while a student was probably a half of what it was while in full time employmentand as result I don't own an ipod, games console, digital camera, car etc at the moment but I do have a degree which cannot be lost, stolen or broken.

The fact is if you want it enough in this country you can achieve a great deal more than a lot of other places. This is what immigrants and their descendants like me know. Life doesn't dish up opportunities on a plate for most people, you have to graft. End of.

So there's little opportunity where you are, well move then, the immigrants are prepared to follow the jobs, good for them. My parents travelled across the Atlantic, I'm sure it wouldn't kill you to migrate within you're own country.

and you didn't read my post, the course most suited to me (yes I spoke to the college) runs one full day and an evening so what do I do ? 4 days one shift and 1 another shift ? oh and by the way the colledge is 25 miles away so I'd probably need a car I mean isn't it logical 3 evenings a week for a course its called an evening course my dad did one but oh seem like they went out of fashion

in case a college does not know most work involves shifts, so they can run morning course for people on night shifts and evening courses for people on morning shifts I mean its that simple isn't it ? oh and of course it would help if they were a bit more helpful so far I've been ignored I guess by the time I get a date for an assesment I'll be in another temp job...
  • Options
    and you didn't read my post, the course most suited to me (yes I spoke to the college) runs one full day and an evening so what do I do ? 4 days one shift and 1 another shift ? oh and by the way the colledge is 25 miles away so I'd probably need a car I mean isn't it logical 3 evenings a week for a course its called an evening course my dad did one but oh seem like they went out of fashion

in case a college does not know most work involves shifts, so they can run morning course for people on night shifts and evening courses for people on morning shifts I mean its that simple isn't it ? oh and of course it would help if they were a bit more helpful so far I've been ignored I guess by the time I get a date for an assesment I'll be in another temp job...

It must be frustrating ...you sound like the kind of guy who does want to work ...keep on trying simon.
  • Options
    ok so where do I find an apprenticeship ? haven't found any in the job centre even tried a so called dedicated web site,

Most places I know do advertise. I saw loads during the week and I wasn't even looking.

You could also ask if any company is willing to take you on. I did this and ot told no, but that if they took me on, they would've been overstaffed.
  • Options
    It must be frustrating ...you sound like the kind of guy who does want to work ...keep on trying simon.

yes I bloody well do want to work, for those comfortably in a job that don't have to do the sums to get to the end of the month they may like to know that 48-60 £ a week is not a lot to be getting on with and as it happens I live in my own home and I'm NOT claiming council tax benefit I'd prefer to have more of a life that a proper wage can give.

to effectively survive on JSA I'd have to sit home and do nothing all day and night I wouldn't mind being able to go out and about. I just joined a club hoping to meet friends and luckily it only costs me the petrol to get there and a pint (yes just one thats all I need of course I don't know how much it will cost to go bowling next week my friends don't exactly have to worry about that).

I had a job as of a week ago through an agency who told me it was ongoing (permanent is too big a word to use nowadays) the guys I was working for were happy with me even asked me if I could come for the second week as they prefered me to some random person. talked about the production manager leaving and needing another person and to train the others and presumably me too to manage on our own on the machine and what happens BANG - run out of boxes simon I'll let ya know end of next week (this week) haven't heard a thing ! I'm in limbo again, as it is I'm in a position where its do I hope for a call from the agency (they can call at 7:45 and say go there get there as soon as possible leaving me no chance of foolproofingly planning a day) or go out travelling 30 miles at my exspence to register with more agencies.

the position is the goverment likes the agencies most jobs in the job centre are through agencys but it means that the ones that loose out are the workers we have to travel to register at our own exspense, we don't get sick pay or holiday pay un;ess lucky enough to have work "x" weeks for that agency but with all the ones there are I could have a job from any different one of 12 every single day of the week. I can get called at the last minute literally and yes it has happened to me, the agency never tells the whole truth they basically want to get their cut not you a job. you/me get less pay than what the job is worth and you can spend months at a job under and agency (so much for it being good for temps and emergency's). its a total shambles, there is a lot of competition between agencys what with 6 withing 60 seconds walk of one another needless to say one on top of another. its not fun at all is great for the agency, okish for the employer it costs him a bit more too because he has to pay admin but it means less hassle and better quality of work (yes my past boss told me of some job centre applicants nightmares) and last but not least its a total rip off and a most unstable situation for the worker

/END OF RANT
  • Options

I did read your post. One full day and one evening eh? You lucky man, mines was 14 hours spread over four days which is why I worked evenings.

What do you do? Whatever motivates you.
  • Options
    Get a job in a call centre, or as a bus driver. They're always looking for people and willing to train you up to get a driving license and will pay you for it.
  • Options
    I did read your post. One full day and one evening eh? You lucky man, mines was 14 hours spread over four days which is why I worked evenings.

What do you do? Whatever motivates you.

well tomorow i start a new job (checking in returned stock on a computer) its 8 am to 4:45 pm the course I would like to take in electronics runs full day and one evening I don't know how many hours but probably something like 12 so now I will have the money where will I find the time ?

I contacted the college yet again today to enquire about converting my current diploma, oh now they've decided they can't do that (where as before they said they could) and that learn direct should be able to do it but it was learn direct that sent me to them in the first place... will I ever get any sense ? hopefully this 3rd time somebody will get back to me and will give me the information I need to proceed
  • Options
    it's a struggle but, how has immigration effected your struggle?
  • Options
    erm there are more people than jobs ? and in the mean time I'm being ignored in my attempts to get my qulaifications transfered or whatever it was they offered to do
  • Options
    yes and I have the same attitude but it seems that immigrants are prefered

Are they?:confused: Companies generally take on people who have experience and are willing to work.