Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gordon rekons imigrants were a help

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    Are they?:confused: Companies generally take on people who have experience and are willing to work.

1 I don't have the experience in the right sectors and if the stupid college would stop running me round in circles perhaps my current qualifications could me made worth something

2 I am willing to work how do i prove that ? references ? bit difficult as it needs references to get the job and you don't get the job without references. well I got a job and i think it was bassicaly cause they had no one else I find it hard to beleive that just because I said I am good with computers on my CV (for which I have no proof) that I was considered. as the last two guys were totaly useless I was made welcome as a last resort. well hopefully I'll stay there
  • Options
    erm there are more people than jobs ? and in the mean time I'm being ignored in my attempts to get my qulaifications transfered or whatever it was they offered to do

Especially in non-tourist locations that don't have a lot of external money coming in (money coming in = jobs), where the labour markets reach some kind of equilibrium after so long. Look at London, York, Edinburgh - there's still jobs because they're the tourist capitals of the UK, and everyone wants a slice of the tourism pie so there is still investment in these areas. (Tourism being the fastest growing industry in the world)

However, back in the sticks where the jobs were contested but it was easy enough to get something if you tried hard, now there has been a sudden influx of extra labour that doesn't have a lot of money, the net wealth / money in the area hasn't gone up, just the amount of people who want some. With the minimum wage this inevitably leads to some unemployment.

But it will balance out, don't fret :). May take some time but it will.
  • Options
    Unless you're after work in a hotel or picking crops, immigrants aren't stealing our jobs,stop being so naive, and stop blaming your inability to find work in the industry of your choice on someone from out of town.
  • Options
    Why would immigrants be going to places where there are more people than jobs, wouldn't that defeat their travel/work aims?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Why would immigrants be going to places where there are more people than jobs, wouldn't that defeat their travel/work aims?

They go everywhere, that's the point. They're migrant workers as I put it rather than immigrants - the fact they're from another country is only the reason they're here which I think is irrelevant. They will go to areas with a reasonable supply of jobs and increase the amount of labour in that area. The local 'indigenous' population if you like is then reluctant to become migrant labour themselves, so unemployment results.

Long term, this balances itself out because of the free market. Eventually, new businesses will set up to get the money in the area. People will move to areas where there are jobs. And of course economic migrants as we have seen may decide there aren't enough jobs in the area.

It occurs all over and it's nothing to do with race or ethnicity, simply the supply of labour increasing. Areas like London are better able to absorb this because there is a lot of money in the area, so investors are always seeking to start businesses there. Meaning it's not terribly hard to get a job. It was the same when I'm in York - a tourist location means there are more jobs than just to cater for the local population, there are extra ones to cater for tourists too. Means it's much easier to get a job. In fact, most of my friends have got jobs within 7 days of looking - literally go to a shop with an ad say you're interested and they'll say come in on such and such a day to have a trial.

I hope your comment wasn't aimed at me whowhere, I've stated again and again I don't believe they're 'stealing' jobs. I'm just looking at it without bias. As I said, the market will settle down eventually. According to the BBC unemployment nationwide is actually down.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Unless you're after work in a hotel or picking crops, immigrants aren't stealing our jobs,stop being so naive, and stop blaming your inability to find work in the industry of your choice on someone from out of town.

yea I work in a radiator factory we have foreigners, warehouses are full of foreigners its just luck of the draw luckily I badgered the agency the very morning they needed someone apparantly I'm doing better than the last two (that got the boot) put together ! I don't have any particular industry of choice I never choose printing but I got on damn well in it and it was all that was going. now I'm in a radiator factory again the last place I expected to be but hey it looks damn interesting I have no qualms about the type of industry I just want a damn job I can do and perhaps enjoy.

most of these jobs (like mine) are got through angencys and they don't really know anything about what the job requires. often I have been given a very misleading description of the job, at the end of the day I know if I can do the job or not but the agency does not as they are not in the business themselves they don't really know how to choose, I was sent in on a whim and as a last resort and I was very appreciated from the moment I got in there and got down to it. all I need is a chance (unless of course they'll take my word for it that I work damn hard !)
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

name a place where there is a lack of people in jobs
  • Options

London?

There is ALWAYS plenty of work.
  • Options

As I said, London, York, Edinburgh. Any tourist location is going to have more jobs about.