Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gordon rekons imigrants were a help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
whaaat ? so according to gordon brown the fact that hundreds of thousands of people turn up take our jobs overcrowd our public services and send home the cash was a help to the nation what did he train as ?

all the poles are going home ! GREAT now perhaps I'll have more jobs to choose from

Comments

• Options
    Migration Watch have always maintained that the benefit of mass immigration to your average John Bull on the street is minimal. And the Lords Committee report which Brown was responding to says the same.

But lazy Brits won't do the jobs so...
  • Options
    Immigration has more positives than negatives, therefore we should encourage it.
  • Options
    This country is built on immigration!
  • Options
    whaaat ? so according to gordon brown the fact that hundreds of thousands of people turn up take our jobs overcrowd our public services and send home the cash was a help to the nation what did he train as ?

all the poles are going home ! GREAT now perhaps I'll have more jobs to choose from
    If your local services are overcrowded, you should be asking why the government hasn't spent any of the £6bn these immigrants are contributing to expand public services to cope with all the new people. Then people like you will end up with plenty of extra jobs, since all of these people need driving to work, their bins emptied, somewhere to buy lunch. It's a myth that new people coming to an area reduces the number of jobs available. New people coming to an area increases business in the area, which increases the number of jobs. So the net difference is minimal, which is what today's study says. And if it wasn't for a lot of this immigration, then a hell of a lot more factories would've moved production to China by now, so you'd have even more competition.
  • Options
    If your local services are overcrowded, you should be asking why the government hasn't spent any of the £6bn these immigrants are contributing to expand public services to cope with all the new people.

I know quite a few Poles in my area and most of them have 5 or 6 people sharing a 2 bedroom flat 'cos they send most of their money back to Poland. So they actually put very little of it back into the local community ...
  • Options

Did a pole steal ajob with your name on it? Forgive me for being obtuse but, wouldn't you have got that job if you were the best person for it regardless, how does where you were born influence your suitability for a job?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

I've just looked at your photograph ...your so obviously of immigrant stock!
    As we all are on these islands ...unless of course the great british public evolved all on their own here ...nice and seperate from the nasty foriegners. But ...where are you from ...your family ?
    Are you happy that immigrants make up part of the Royal family?
  • Options
    You should try to get your news from sources other than the Daily Express.
  • Options
    I'm sorry... there are people out there who think what Gordon Brown says is actually of any significance? That's news to me.
    Oh, shut up. The Polish work their arses off - they work hard, and they play hard. We need more people like that in this country. As far as I'm concerned, the whole of Poland can come and live here.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    This country is built on immigration!

Pretty much true here... I doubt our economy would function half as well if we didn't have the cheap labour. If Brits want £8 an hour for a job Poles will do for minimum (Sometimes under) wage, they will get the job.

Welcome to the supply and demand based economy. If Brits want the jobs, they must accept lower wages. It's how the "invisible hand" of the free market works. And it has nothing to do with General Greivous, ok?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Immigration has more positives than negatives, therefore we should encourage it.

lets here the positives then
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I know quite a few Poles in my area and most of them have 5 or 6 people sharing a 2 bedroom flat 'cos they send most of their money back to Poland. So they actually put very little of it back into the local community ...

ah finally someone that actually knows what goes on its the same in italy they came from albania worked like dogs lived cheaply and sent all the spare cash home

Mr brown is jkust trying to cover the cockups they've made in letting so many in without even knowing
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Did a pole steal ajob with your name on it? Forgive me for being obtuse but, wouldn't you have got that job if you were the best person for it regardless, how does where you were born influence your suitability for a job?

erm I have had things said or letters written to the effect of, we are really sorry but its not that you not qualified but we had so many applicants dooooo do I need qualification to do labouring ? I don't think so
  • Options

So? Even if they are does that actually hurt us?

They will presumably still be paying tax, and spending money on food and travel.
  • Options
    It's funny how it is usually the same people who complain about scroungers not wanting to work and preferring to live on benefits bang out immigrants coming 'ere and stealing our jobs.

If it's true that millions of people on benefits simply don't want work, then it's a fucking good thing there are immigrants about prepared to do those jobs, isn't it?

FFS... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It's funny how it is usually the same people who complain about scroungers not wanting to work and preferring to live on benefits bang out immigrants coming 'ere and stealing our jobs.

If it's true that millions of people on benefits simply don't want work, then it's a fucking good thing there are immigrants about prepared to do those jobs, isn't it?

FFS... :rolleyes:

better still to stick them in a damn job and if they don't like the job they don't get benefits back !

of course there are scours of employers that only want people with experience, so if your just out of school or are changing work sector your in the shit

I'd be more than happy to be a plumers apprentice and train as a plumber but thats old fashioned now and no I don't have the money to get qualifications,

I'm still waiting for them to remember that they said they'd take a look at my italian qualifications and get them converted,
  • Options
    I think a problem is Aladdin is it's pretty tough to get a job, especially when there are lots of people coming from abroad to get jobs here because the wages are higher. Eventually it causes more jobs, but in the short term I think there is a problem of excess supply of labour. And seeing as there is a fixed minimum wage, this means that less people get jobs than would in a balanced kind of situation.

In many countries if there is a problem with unemployment, the residents will up and leave to a coutnry where there is a higher average wage (i.e. the UK), but that just spreads the problem of unemployment. Really when the EU was thought up, the idea was that it would lead to lots of investment in countries like Poland to bring them up with lots of high paying jobs like western Europe. The reality has been an influx of economic migrants (I guess you could call them vagrants - travelling to where the work is).

Although there are lots of benefits for the economy of course, there is a need to have control on it to prevent the negative effects such as areas where there is relatively low unemployment being inundated with vagrants (I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just as a descriptive term) causing high levels of unemployment. Compounded by a lot of the wages not being spent in the UK (UK retail has been dropping past couple of years steadily) and instead sent abroad, it culminates to paint a picture of a strong economy that has been thrown in the fryer so to speak, and is reacting strongly. In the end all things will find an equilibrium, and people will be more or less happy.

But in the short term there are damaging effects. It's similar to Margeret Thatcher closing down the mines. It was cheaper and hence we benefitted in the long run, but the way she closed them down was abrupt to put it one way and caused a lot of social problems.
  • Options
    precisley and as one that does the rounds of the recruitment agencies I note that 80 % of the people in there registering are poles and they all have fork lift licenses because they know that gets a job fast, just because thousands of people turn up does not mean that all of a sudden facilities to provide for them will spring up making yet more work no by the time that may happen they have gone again taking their earnings with them.
  • Options
    precisley and as one that does the rounds of the recruitment agencies I note that 80 % of the people in there registering are poles and they all have fork lift licenses because they know that gets a job fast, just because thousands of people turn up does not mean that all of a sudden facilities to provide for them will spring up making yet more work no by the time that may happen they have gone again taking their earnings with them.
    You know that's what'll happen, do you?

There is a lot of speculation on this thread, not to mention perpetuation of myths and unproven claims.

Some of them are pretty idiotic. If all those immigrants sent their earnings home, how exactly do they survive?

Oh I get it... they must be thieving and mugging to sustain themselves, perhaps.
  • Options
    simons-photography has been an idiot ever since he joined; I really don't expect anything else from him other than anti-immigrant claptrap rehashed from the Daily Sexpress. It's no wonder he can't find work given his abject lack of coherent reasoning.

For the poorest people immigration lowers wages, that's inevitable as they will work for less, but for most people there is no difference at all to their lives. You can see this as a positive or as a negative. If there's no difference then why not let them stay, it doesn't matter to most people so live and let live.

I actually quite like the Polish influence in this country. The Polish foodstores are lovely and its nice to see pubs re-opening as part of the Polish community. The more variety the better. I, for one, would hate to go back to the days when the only spaghetti came in tins and Vesta was as exotic as food managed to come.
  • Options
    There is an argument as well that quality standards bof builders and decorators in this country have risen significantly since the arrival of the Poles.

Suddenly the native builders, who in disturbingly high numbers were little more than rip-off unreliable cowboys, have found themselves in competition with people who will actually turn up when they're supposed to, will do the job on time and on budget, will do a good job to boot, and will not take the piss and try to rip customers off with non-existent problems that need fixing.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    So? Even if they are does that actually hurt us?

They will presumably still be paying tax, and spending money on food and travel.

If they don't spend much of their money locally, they are not putting money back into the community - thereby not generating more tax for the government via VAT etc.

By the way, I am not anti-immigration. I just find it very hard to believe that unbridled immigration is as 'rosy' as you seem to make it out to be. There has to be a downside somewhere, whatever that is ... e.g. pressure on schools, for instance. But it doesn't seem to be politically correct to mention it.
  • Options
    If they don't spend much of their money locally, they are not putting money back into the community - thereby not generating more tax for the government via VAT etc.

By the way, I am not anti-immigration. I just find it very hard to believe that unbridled immigration is as 'rosy' as you seem to make it out to be. There has to be a downside somewhere, whatever that is ... e.g. pressure on schools, for instance. But it doesn't seem to be politically correct to mention it.
    Of course uncontrolled mass immigration can cause problems for a nation. But contrary to what the ultra right wing press and certain other quarters have been claiming for literally decades (and therefore well before the recent arrival a couple of years ago of Eastern Europeans) immigration is neither uncontrolled nor massive.
  • Options

So you base your argument on a few Polish workers you know :confused: I know quite a few British people who have worked abroad and done the same things as them but I couldn't say that is true of all British expats.

Some people will send money abroad, so what its theirs and they've earned it. Do you not think they will spend money in local shops and businesses here? are they working tax-free or does some of their wages go back to the Treasury? and what about the rent on these overcrowded flats you mention?
  • Options
    dooooo do I need qualification to do labouring ? I don't think so

For a skilled labourer, yes you do need qualifications.

Rolly right, it's a nation built on immigrants, before the Polish it was the Irish who were building the nation.
  • Options
    actually I'm talking about jobs specifying that now qualifications or skills are needed as training is given.

the one thing I never see is an apprentice position they seem to have gone out of fashion but I would find it ideal
  • Options
    Regardless of what you think of them, it seems the rush is over anyway, more than ever are returning to Poland and big questions are being asked about whether we can actually build the olympics and cross rail without them.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Regardless of what you think of them, it seems the rush is over anyway, more than ever are returning to Poland and big questions are being asked about whether we can actually build the olympics and cross rail without them.

well if someone is willing to train me I'll go build it (as part of the workforce - not single handedly lol)