Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ivf

Was watching Five news just now and there was a woman who was in her 60s and is expecting a child - this was done through IVF. (Not sure if this sounds right, tbh) Article

Am I alone in thinking that having a baby at the age of 60 is too old? We were having a debate about this in tutor this morning and my tutor (who happens to be pregnant) thinks this is wrong. She mentioned that she was watching a programme about this last night and there was a man on there who is 84 and his wife is expecting his child.

Personally, I think that giving women the option of having children through IVF at the age of 45+ is too old - women's periods stop for a reason.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree with you on that... having a kid at 60 means that the chance of you being alive for your kid 20th birthday are quite low... and for the guy that is 84... well if he is around when his kid is 10 it would be really lucky... as you said period stop for a reason, it is nature way of saying you are to old to conceive...
  • Options
    Bah, not the "boo hoo having kids that old is selfish" topic again.
    it is nature way of saying you are to old to conceive...

and IVF is the human's way of telling nature to get stuffed.
  • Options
    It's too old.

Telling nature to "get stuffed" is a stupid idea. Nature always wins.
  • Options
    I don't like the "you'll be dead before their xx birthday" argument, and I don't buy it. It's just doesn't appear a legitimate argument to me. The older mother may not be at her physical peak, but I'm sure there would be compensation for that in her wealth of experience amongst other things. It's not as if every 60 year old is now deciding to pop another sprog, most women at 60 would probably scream and run away if the suggestion was made. That tells me that the woman in question must have felt a very strong yearning to have another child and I for one am happy for her that she got her wish. :)

Of course I don't think it's ideal to have a child at 60 but I'm not opposed to it and I don't consider it remotely selfish, live and let live in my opinion.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    and IVF is the human's way of telling nature to get stuffed.

Like any other treatment to treat any diseases... but you can only tell nature to get stuffed for a while... cos it wins and will always... at the end you always die...
  • Options
    Well thats that then. Stop people procreating and stop extending peoples lifes. We all die in the end its so pointless.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I don't like the "you'll be dead before their xx birthday" argument, and I don't buy it. It's just doesn't appear a legitimate argument to me. The older mother may not be at her physical peak, but I'm sure there would be compensation for that in her wealth of experience amongst other things. It's not as if every 60 year old is now deciding to pop another sprog, most women at 60 would probably scream and run away if the suggestion was made. That tells me that the woman in question must have felt a very strong yearning to have another child and I for one am happy for her that she got her wish. :)

Of course I don't think it's ideal to have a child at 60 but I'm not opposed to it and I don't consider it remotely selfish, live and let live in my opinion.

Don't you think if the woman die at 70, leaving a 10 year old kid behind it is a bit selfish? Cos she will have a nice end of life, but the kid will end up with no parents... alive and probably for a long time, but in what kind of condition...
    Also I agree with you on the live ad let live, I would never stop anyone from doing such, I just don't see the point of always fighting against nature...
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    Well thats that then. Stop people procreating and stop extending peoples lifes. We all die in the end its so pointless.

Was just saying that telling nature to get stuffed doesn't last for long, I never said we should stop procreating and stop extending life of people... Was just stating a fact...
  • Options
    Don't you think if the woman die at 70, leaving a 10 year old kid behind it is a bit selfish? Cos she will have a nice end of life, but the kid will end up with no parents... alive and probably for a long time, but in what kind of condition...

Well, what if she lives another fifteen - twenty years, as average life expectancy now predicts? At what point, then, does it become pointless to have a child because of the possibility you might die before they turn...what? 16? 21? 35? I don't think if she dies at 70 leaving her 10 year old child that she will have a nice end of life, not for one second. I'm sure she plans and hopes to be around a bit longer than that, which is why I don't feel that she is being selfish... though I'm under no illusions about the general opinion.

I believe that child will be loved wholeheartedly and therefore I can't condemn the woman for bringing it into the world, whether naturally, through IVF or alien insemination. So maybe she dies before the child is a teenager, when you bring a child into the world there is always the prospect of it someday living parentless.

I don't actually consider it fighting against nature, either, it's helping nature along through the wonderful advances that science has afforded women. The intention is good, therefore I can't knock it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    This is the problem with stealing from people to fund your whims, they want to have a say in how you spend the ca$h.

If she's paying for it herself, no worries. If she's a thief then nope.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Well, what if she lives another fifteen - twenty years, as average life expectancy now predicts? At what point, then, does it become pointless to have a child because of the possibility you might die before they turn...what? 16? 21? 35? I don't think if she dies at 70 leaving her 10 year old child that she will have a nice end of life, not for one second. I'm sure she plans and hopes to be around a bit longer than that, which is why I don't feel that she is being selfish... though I'm under no illusions about the general opinion.

Good point, but by end of life I meant the years with the kid, not when she is going to die knowing she will leave the kid behind...
    briggi wrote:
    I believe that child will be loved wholeheartedly and therefore I can't condemn the woman for bringing it into the world, whether naturally, through IVF or alien insemination. So maybe she dies before the child is a teenager, when you bring a child into the world there is always the prospect of it someday living parentless.

Yep, can't disagree with that, the kid will be loved like any mother at any other age would... alien insemination sounds cooler than ivf tho :p
    briggi wrote:
    I don't actually consider it fighting against nature, either, it's helping nature along through the wonderful advances that science has afforded women. The intention is good, therefore I can't knock it.

Well in a way we are nature (sort of) so our medicine is a bit too, 60 might not be as bad, but the guy that is 84 it is more than likely that he will not be around for long... Bah who cares anyway... if it makes her happy all the best wishes to her and her kid...
  • Options
    I know you like to turn every thread around to your whole taxation = theft agenda, but I think in this case it's got fuck all to do with who's paying for it and everything else to do with it whether or not it's right or wrong. I know you imagine you live in some sort of amoral little bubble where society doesn't exist, but for the rest of us who do live in society, there are wider issues at stake or not than whether you're being stolen from to pay for it.

Surely that deserves a round of applause. :razz:

Agreed, I'm getting a bit sick of this proclivity for hijacking threads and causing them to go off on a crazy (and frankly, at this point, quite boring) tangent.
  • Options
    Well in a way we are nature (sort of) so our medicine is a bit too, 60 might not be as bad, but the guy that is 84 it is more than likely that he will not be around for long... Bah who cares anyway... if it makes her happy all the best wishes to her and her kid...

Indeed. I certainly see your point, though! :)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Indeed. I certainly see your point, though! :)

And I see yours, so tis all good :)
  • Options
    Originally Posted by scarlettleeds
    I know you like to turn every thread around to your whole taxation = theft agenda, but I think in this case it's got fuck all to do with who's paying for it and everything else to do with it whether or not it's right or wrong.

Like I said, if she's funding it, it's none of your business either way. if she's stealing to pay for it then you have a right to ask how the cash is spent. (apparently)

I do realise that you have accepted corruption, violence and theft into your life in the cowardly way that people like yourself often do and want to ignore that it's going on and focus on "wider issues" (or irrelevences that make you feel comfortable) but frankly, tough shit.

Put me on ignore if you don't like it. in this case I had a point and there I put it again.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If she's paying for it herself, no worries. If she's a thief then nope.

You're the first person to think about cash - personally, I think most peoples' opinions has nothing to do with whether we have to pay for it or not.
    Well, what if she lives another fifteen - twenty years, as average life expectancy now predicts?

But she may not live until then.

I don't know about anyone else but for some reason, I'd hate the idea of having parents who are in their 60/70s when I'm about 10. (And for the record when I was 10, my dad was 38 and my mum was 35)
  • Options
    We stop being able to reproduce for a reason. I think it's too old tbh.
  • Options
    The child is also much more likely to live to an older age if the mother is younger (20s is best).
  • Options
    The child is also much more likely to live to an older age if the mother is younger (20s is best).

Source?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    But is it not putting the mother's life in danger by giving birth? Either naturally or by C section?
    To be honest, I'm sitting on the fence- if it makes her happy, then why not? I'm sure she's aware of the risks.
  • Options
    I read it somewhere in New Scientist, but unfortunately I can't find the article. Here's a link...
    http://healthinfo.carolinas.org/healthnews/healthday/060417HD532170.htm

As far as I can see the latest work hasn't been published. But there are some papers at this page if you want to look into it further.
  • Options

Well looks like I'm up shit creek then. :p Do you think I'll live to see 30?

I'm probably biased as my mother had me when she was relatively old, and my eldest brother is near-enough twice my age, but it hasn't affected my health in any way, shape or form this far and I highly doubt it's going to impact the age at which I die. Surely once you're born and an independent being then there ends the period at which people feel they can blame the mother for any ill-fortune or problems with which the child is afflicted. I think that's a real stretch.

It is - of course - true it is going to be a strain on your average 60 year old body (and mind, for that matter) to go through a labour, breast feed, have late nights etc... as it would be for a 16/23/32/40 year old. But the woman in question is by all accounts perfectly fit and able, so why begrudge her this happiness out of unfounded worries - in honesty I find that quite sad. From what I've read and heard, I truly don't believe she is having another child at this point for purely selfish reasons -- though those who would accuse her of that would do well to remember the school of thought that claims all reproduction selfish, as it is the wish for our own genes and lineage to continue posthumously.
  • Options
    IVF in itself isn’t exactly natural – and a 63 year old pensioner giving birth through such an artificial practice is simply abnormal. Although providing it’s not paid for by the NHS and it’s with their own money it’s their personal decision – albeit a wrong one.
  • Options
    I dont like the 'they will snuff it before the kid hits 20' arguement. Anyone can die at any time and leave their children behind whatever their age. The time you have left doesn't affect your parenting skills.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    And there was me thinking "IFVs! Ace!" and about to post about the BMP-3.
  • Options
    I know you like to turn every thread around to your whole taxation = theft agenda, but I think in this case it's got fuck all to do with who's paying for it and everything else to do with it whether or not it's right or wrong. I know you imagine you live in some sort of amoral little bubble where society doesn't exist, but for the rest of us who do live in society, there are wider issues at stake or not than whether you're being stolen from to pay for it.

So theft is fine if it`s for a subjective good cause ? :confused: