Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mother of seven at 16

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080222/twl-girl-16-has-second-set-of-triplets-41f21e0_1.html

That's got to be some kind of record.

She might want to start using contraception, or she could be mother of 13 while still a teenager :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    She can expect a phone call from Jeremy Kyle's office next week, I assume?

So she's received housing from the authorities and is getting financial help. In other words, the authorities are just encouraging the sort of behaviour that should be discouraged. Looks like Argentina's been taking lessons about this from New Labour. If Gordon Brown is your nation's teacher, you must be in trouble.

And to the eternal disgrace of the father, he's buggered off the scene, no doubt to get some other girl pregnant. Shame on you.
  • Options
    A girl in my area who's 17 recently gave birth to her second. The fathers are brothers so her two sons are also cousins...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

She might want to start using contraception, or she could be mother of 13 while still a teenager :rolleyes:

The article mentions that she is in a Catholic country with very limited access to sex education and contraceptives. It's often not as simple as people like to make out.
  • Options
    wow, i hope shes getting some family support. i cant imagine how difficult that must be especially so young.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    So she's received housing from the authorities and is getting financial help. In other words, the authorities are just encouraging the sort of behaviour that should be discouraged. Looks like Argentina's been taking lessons about this from New Labour. If Gordon Brown is your nation's teacher, you must be in trouble.
    Are you suggesting it would be better if the girl got no financial help or housing help? Would it be better for the seven children (plus their mother who is also a child) to live in absolute poverty?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Are you suggesting it would be better if the girl got no financial help or housing help? Would it be better for the seven children (plus their mother who is also a child) to live in absolute poverty?
    Not quite what I meant.
  • Options
    She can expect a phone call from Jeremy Kyle's office next week, I assume?

And to the eternal disgrace of the father, he's buggered off the scene, no doubt to get some other girl pregnant. Shame on you.

What makes you think that is a New Labour policy, it happened under the Tories
  • Options
    Not quite what I meant.

What did you mean then?
  • Options
    I know of a teenage girl who has had a child taken into care ...and then a second ...she is now pregnant again!
    Her sister has had a child taken into care and ...is now pregnant again!!!!
    Scary stuff.
    they are like conveyor belts ...suppliers of children to orphanages and misery.
    What is the solution ...is there a solution?
  • Options
    I know of a teenage girl who has had a child taken into care ...and then a second ...she is now pregnant again!
    Her sister has had a child taken into care and ...is now pregnant again!!!!
    Scary stuff.
    they are like conveyor belts ...suppliers of children to orphanages and misery.
    What is the solution ...is there a solution?

A Rabbit? ;)
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    A Rabbit? ;)

:lol: either that or finding a boyfriend who's a jaffa
  • Options
    I take on board points about Catholic country etc, dearth or contraception...but still..
    i come across situ like MR mentioned, young girls having kids only to have them taken away, at or soon after birth. However I have seen some cracking young mums also. its a toughie ut surely after the first baby this girl must have thought now hang on a minute...
  • Options
    Mother of seven at 16
    Ouch...Head in a salmon tin at the time? Or Perhaps a Sperm Tin? :crazyeyes
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    What makes you think that is a New Labour policy, it happened under the Tories
    Well, like in most situations, New Labour is happy to steal Tory policies without admitting it. The inheritance tax threshold comes to mind. George Osborne proposes increasing it to £1million. A few days later, the Chancellor raises it to £600k and says it was his own idea. The cheek of it!

What did I mean earlier? Well, I don't see any reason why the state should be effectively bankrolling someone who's got seven kids at the age of 16. Mind you, as we're currently shovelling money into a dead corpse of a bank, I suppose Britain's in no position to lecture about this.

What is the age of consent in Argentina anyway?
  • Options
    well, it's hardly her fault that she had two sets of triplets is it? I mean 3 pregnancies is one thing and she may have had some control over it, but last time I checked you can't choose to have a multiple birth or not. Good for the govt for building them somewhere to live - what would you rather, that they all die or something?
  • Options
    What did I mean earlier? Well, I don't see any reason why the state should be effectively bankrolling someone who's got seven kids at the age of 16. Mind you, as we're currently shovelling money into a dead corpse of a bank, I suppose Britain's in no position to lecture about this.
    Hmm, I guess the alternative would be to take 7 kids into care with professional carers. And statistics in the UK at least suggest that several of these kids would then end up as crime statistics, which of course we'd need the money to police. I wonder which is the more expensive option? Or let them die, of course, which would be cheaper?
    What is the age of consent in Argentina anyway?
    13-18 depending on the circumstances.

Wikipedia, because I can't be arsed trying to interpret that.
  • Options
    13-18 depending on the circumstances.

Wikipedia, because I can't be arsed trying to interpret that.
    I think I'll have to ask one of the legal eagles here to read that, as I can't make head nor tail of it!
  • Options
    I feel bad for her that the whole world feel it's up to them to feel outraged at something very private and personal to her. Yes, I can imagine it's difficult for her, and yet if her sex ed was insufficient which according to the article may be the case then the government deserves criticism.

But along with having 7 kids at 16 I think it's way too much to hold her up like a trophy saying this is what the government is doing. It's only going to cause detriment to her and then her kids as a consequence. Good that she's receiving support from the government though.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080222/twl-girl-16-has-second-set-of-triplets-41f21e0_1.html

That's got to be some kind of record.

Here is someone who clearly needs choices to be made for her, but you're against her parents or a doctor being allowed to give young people like her the contraceptive injection against their will.
    I'm not making a judgment or anything, but I get the feeling if she'd only had 1 set of triplets at 13 you'd be alright with it........
  • Options
    age of consent is 13 in argentina. Strongly catholic country with extremely limited access to contraception and abortion completely illegal.

OK so that means that youre going to get people unfortunately having babies whilst still fairly young. This girl is unlucky enough to be prone to multiple births. Shes lucky that she and all her babies have survived IMO.

Of course shes a terrible person for having sex before OUR countries age of consent (not hers) because OUR laws are based on morals and theirs arent maybe??? :rolleyes:

I dont know what the argentinian social security system is like, or whether there is any at all. All I see is that chances are now shes probably going to be in a life of poverty. YAY, the catholic church does it again.
  • Options
    well, it's hardly her fault that she had two sets of triplets is it? I mean 3 pregnancies is one thing and she may have had some control over it, but last time I checked you can't choose to have a multiple birth or not. Good for the govt for building them somewhere to live - what would you rather, that they all die or something?

Yeh, this case is extraordinary, I don't think the Argentine government usually builds homes or gives much financial help to teen mothers, or does it? It shouldn't make a policy out of it though, because, as with our government's policy, it would give young girls the impression that getting pregnant is the road to independence and getting your very own government built home. Even if you get your own house and benefits, of course, it's still hard as hell to raise a kid on your own, but they'll only realise that when it's already too late. They shouldn't be left to die, there should be mother and baby units they can go to where they'll be safe and where they can get advice and help planning their future, or they can live with their parents.
    Hmm, I guess the alternative would be to take 7 kids into care with professional carers. And statistics in the UK at least suggest that several of these kids would then end up as crime statistics, which of course we'd need the money to police. I wonder which is the more expensive option? Or let them die, of course, which would be cheaper?

Some weird people have also suggested that kids raised in single-parent household also tend not to do as well as kids who live with their Mom and Dad. They've gone so far as to say that they're more likely to end up as crime statistics. The alternative would be not to send out the message that single-parenthood/teen pregnancies are good life-style choices which the state endorses. The alternative would be good sex-ed, including teaching on contraceptives, placed in a moral context.
    Of course shes a terrible person for having sex before OUR countries age of consent (not hers) because OUR laws are based on morals and theirs arent maybe???

Which is better for a girl, to start having sex at 13 or at 16?
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »

Makes not much difference to me, as long as its what she wanted to do.
  • Options
    Makes not much difference to me, as long as its what she wanted to do.

So you see no difference between her at the age of 13 and her at the age of 16, in terms of her maturity and her ability to make the correct decision?
  • Options
    So you see no difference between her at the age of 13 and her at the age of 16, in terms of her maturity and her ability to make the correct decision?

Doesn't that depend on the individual rather than age brackets?
  • Options

Which is better for a girl, an apple or an orange?

She had consensual sex according to the laws of her country. That's all that counts.
  • Options
    Doesn't that depend on the individual rather than age brackets?

Well to be honest I've always thought that on the whole, most 16 yr olds are more mature than most 13 yr olds, but I'm obviously in a minority on that.
    Kermit wrote:
    Which is better for a girl, an apple or an orange?

Peaches are nice, can't go wrong with a lovely peach.
    Kermit wrote:
    She had consensual sex according to the laws of her country. That's all that counts.

Just because it is the law in her country doesn't automatically mean that the law itself is right.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    The article mentions that she is in a Catholic country with very limited access to sex education and contraceptives. It's often not as simple as people like to make out.

True. Argentina might be one of the more 'liberal' South American countries, but, especially in rural areas where this girl is from, girls are much more likely to keep the child, or have some dodgy back-street abortion than use prevantative contraception in the first place.

Part of me does feel sorry for her living in an environment where people's beliefs suppress the body's natural urges and they'd rather not teach people about contraception etc. in case, shock horror, they actually find that sex is actually ripping fun; part of me feels 'keep your fucking legs shut love'; but most of all, I'm glad I'm not having to pay for it.
  • Options
    Well to be honest I've always thought that on the whole, most 16 yr olds are more mature than most 13 yr olds, but I'm obviously in a minority on that.

Peaches are nice, can't go wrong with a lovely peach.

Just because it is the law in her country doesn't automatically mean that the law itself is right.

but why 16?
  • Options
    but why 16?

Because it is the age at which the Victorians decided a person was emotionally mature enough to have sex. In America the age of consent is 18, and you could argue that an 18 year old is even more mature than a 16 year old, so the age of consent should be moved up. But you can't argue that a 13 year old is as mature as a 16 year old. It depends on at which age you decide a person is no longer a child. To me it seems bizzare to claim that a 13yr old isn't a child.
  • Options
    Well, if the Victorians said that people are only ready at 16, then they obviously knew what modern day 13/14/15/16 girls are like, so we must obey.

It's just a load of crap. Has no one even considered that GOD FORBID she may have WANTED these babies? She may just love them, and she may have WANTED to get pregnant. Why is that always so wrong? OK, so shes having government support, so fucking what, so do a million of other people in this country; and im sure in others. She's just an extreme case of what is happening nowadays.